Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

10 hours ago, TSBX said:

I remembered. I may not post in the Dev Diary a lot anymore, but I still read it. :)

Out of everything that's been talked about so far, what are you guys looking forward to the most?

Wow, man. That is a tough question for this alpha. My "personal favourite "order, for any alpha right now is:

1.Bandits and npcs

2.More quests. A hugenormous amount of them actually. All dynamic like the current ones.

3. New armour system, madmole's LBL and legendary weapons' and armours' effects.

4.Main Storyline with factions.

And last but not least:

5. Caves, water vehicle/s, helicopter, water remake, water threats, water animations for the player, new POIs, dismemberment, character creator, Zd colour variety, workshop integration.

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Wow, man. That is a tough question for this alpha. My "personal favourite "order, for any alpha right now is:

1.Bandits and npcs

2.More quests. A hugenormous amount of them actually. All dynamic like the current ones.

3. New armour system, madmole's LBL and legendary weapons' and armours' effects.

And last but not least:

5. Caves, water vehicle/s, helicopter, water remake, water threats, water animations for the player, new POIs, dismemberment, character creator, Zd colour variety, workshop integration.

I would also add underground tier 4-5 POIs to this list.
We need more underground bases like Red Mesa and even something more.Unlike the classic tier 4-5 buildings in the underground you can't just take and run away, if you know what I mean :)
And it will be impossible to get to the loot quickly.I would like to see huge (like an underground factory) complexes in the game.There is enough distance to the badrock, within 100 by 100 blocks you can come up with a lot of interesting things! 😈

How about quests to restore light underground?After activating the generator, a screamer comes.dreams of dreams ..

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

On 5/25/2022 at 12:08 PM, Jost Amman said:

I really don't get it. You're really saying that spam-crafting axes to raise your crafting level is a much better way to spend your time? :shocked:

Have you even ever looted in this game? ... Sometimes you can find stuff that you need, in 1/10th of the time you'd need by crafting it with LBD.

If you don't go looting at all, how do you even pretend to get stuff?? Are you saying you'd like the game to craft everything there is just by sitting there at your spawn location?

Looting is an integral part of this game, so if you're saying you want the game changed to not rely on looting, then you've picked the wrong game.

It that's what you want, well, there's the cheat menu (F1), you can get whatever you want from there.

Also, the condescending one, it's you, since you're assuming I don't have a life.

The arrogant one, it's you, since you're telling us and the devs how THEIR game must be, in a rude way (to top it off).

You're also the one who's been name-calling and insulting, while I was just explaining why the gameplay style you're proposing is horrible in my view.

I guess I struck a nerve there... well, I don't care, you can feel offended all you want, but you can't stop me telling you what I think of your idea.

@Roland:

I see lately there has been an "insurgence" of trolls here on the forums (people who almost never posted before, btw).

They attack the devs and everybody who disagrees with their "extreme" opinions, and then they accuse you of what they actually did in the first place. *facepalm*

I used to post a lot on 7 days forum, you're prolly a noob, since you don't know about the old forum that got deleted and this one was created...

I posted tons of ideas and feedback when this game was new, I quickly learned they don't give a @%$#!

34 minutes ago, Mad_Dane said:

I used to post a lot on 7 days forum, you're prolly a noob, since you don't know about the old forum that got deleted and this one was created...

I posted tons of ideas and feedback when this game was new, I quickly learned they don't give a @%$#!

Don`t get mad, a lot. Jost is far away from noob (and even if he is you should not treat him so), the forum got updated and moved on. 

This game is not a drive through where you can order and get. 

P.S. Pimps do give a crab, a lot. End of story. 

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

1.Bandits and npcs

And last but not least:

1. If i good understand Faatal - bandits will be added in two updates so probably in A21 bandits will be just talking zombies with weapons. I didn't see anything about another types of npc that bandits

2. Yep that's okay

3. Armor system is unsure but there will be new models for sure. LBD is comfiremd but nothing about Legendary weapons and armors

4. 100% sure not in A21

5. Caves - as POI maybe, as RWG element of world - not likly , new vehicles  - 99% no chance, water remake probably - 99%, new POI - 100% there will be new poi, dismemberment i think will be added, CZ IDK , ZD colour variety no chance for that , Workshop probably will be added after released

On 7/6/2022 at 5:47 PM, Roland said:

If you feel you MUST have a forge before Day 3 you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. I feel that it is safe to say nobody will go 30 days without a forge but if 3 days is your breaking point I'm not sure whether you make it.

The second to the last game I played I pushed for a forge and had it by day 2.  It was not my "optimal path" but it made other things easier (a pot to cook in for one!)

2 hours ago, Mad_Dane said:

Welcome back! :baby:

5 hours ago, Mad_Dane said:

UMadDane?

21 hours ago, TSBX said:

I remembered. I may not post in the Dev Diary a lot anymore, but I still read it. :)

Out of everything that's been talked about so far, what are you guys looking forward to the most?

I am looking forward to the biome slider and the double doors.

5 hours ago, Aldranon said:

The second to the last game I played I pushed for a forge and had it by day 2.  It was not my "optimal path" but it made other things easier (a pot to cook in for one!)

Fortunately, we now have more small POIs where you are guaranteed to find a cooking pot. For example, the taco truck that you often find in the city centre.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:37 PM, Mad_Dane said:

Bla bla bla "...the old forum that got deleted and this one was created..."

Wtf!?! RIP hundreds of posts... Oh well, guess it was all really outdated now anyway.

On 7/9/2022 at 7:16 PM, RipClaw said:

...Fortunately, we now have more small POIs where you are guaranteed to find a cooking pot. For example, the taco truck that you often find in the city centre.

Sometimes those are bombs in disguise though. I keep forgetting :)

Edited by Menace312 (see edit history)

Lucky Looters vs. Learning craft from Magazines

When playing in coop there are some division in "roles". The Perception player loots the containers, but now everyone needs to loot in order to make use of the boost in the craft magazine required.

1 hour ago, Lifsteinn said:

Lucky Looters vs. Learning craft from Magazines

When playing in coop there are some division in "roles". The Perception player loots the containers, but now everyone needs to loot in order to make use of the boost in the craft magazine required.

I don't see your point, sorry. Maybe be I misunderstood, but are you saying that in your group only one person opens containers? :suspicious:

So you never spread out in a big POI and always wait for the PER guy to come open any container you find?

6 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I don't see your point, sorry. Maybe be I misunderstood, but are you saying that in your group only one person opens containers? :suspicious:

So you never spread out in a big POI and always wait for the PER guy to come open any container you find?

Nobody ever opens a container for me no matter their gamestage. Letting some top gamestage perception maxed player open your stuff for you is basically playing with the creative menu enabled. I like to progress through the stages of scavenging rather than have some buddy of mine help me skip it. 

And if someone berates me for opening a container because I’m not the top level dude then I don’t play with that guy any more. There are some things more important than min/maxing loot containers…

On 7/5/2022 at 9:58 PM, Roland said:

This just goes to show you are not well suited to play a game that is still in development. The devs have always had an overall vision for what they want to do with the details being subject to experimentation and iterative development. For example, they always knew they would have characters progress in skills and abilities like an RPG. Did they know exactly how they would implement that goal? Not exactly which is why it has undergone several iterations.  Some people have a hard time seeing the evolution and so they think one whole system was completely replaced by another whole system but that is not true. Everything the game is today is because of evolving systems through experimenting and problem solving. But, again, some people look at something like LBD and think that 7 Days to Die was always envisioned as an LBD game but then the devs abandoned that and changed their game.

No. This was never an LBD game. It was always a game about character progression and LBD was the method used during one part of the evolution. 

There are plenty of games that use early access to crowd fund their already practically finished game after having done most of the development work behind closed doors. This studio actually began early access with their game at an extremely early stage and have come a long way. 

It is finally at the stage at which most other studios start thinking about putting their offerings out for early access. Maybe it was a mistake for them to have opened up their development versions from such an early stage but I’m glad they did. It has been very interesting to witness the journey. If A1-A19 had all been done privately and A20 was the first time it came to early access you would have no knowledge of all the changes that happened.

No it’s not. When developers do what the modders are doing it is called scope creep. The developers have very specific goals they are sticking to whereas modders have no restrictions. The devs have a standard of quality they have to maintain so that a wide range of configurations can access the game at a reasonable level of performance whereas modders are forgiven if not everything works 100%  

The devs are trying to finish the basic version of the game that will be what brand new players purchase once it is released. Modders can cater to veterans who are bored with the fundamental version and want more challenges and more content beyond the scope of the base game. 

It really shouldn’t be difficult to understand this unless you don’t understand the overall model of playing a game early while it is still in full development mode. 

Your comments reveal that you really don’t get that this game is unfinished and the devs are working to get the 1.0 version finished. It shows that you emotionally consider this game fully released and the devs should be working on expansion and dlc content to extend the gameplay so that those of us who have played everything can have more to do. 

Hope that clears up your confusion so that what is happening no longer boggles your mind. With the correct view of what development means it is pretty simple to understand. 

A very arrogant point of view imo. I played my hours and i consider my money well invested, many times fold actually. My point is that it seems to go in different directions. If they have a vision already, does this take 10y? I don't think so, otherwise would be the same with everyother game of the same genre. 

You refer that "It is finally at the stage at which most other studios start thinking about putting their offerings out for early access." this for itself shows one of my biggest issues and i couldn't have said it better.

You have a good point when you say that: "No it’s not. When developers do what the modders are doing it is called scope creep. The developers have very specific goals they are sticking to whereas modders have no restrictions. The devs have a standard of quality they have to maintain so that a wide range of configurations can access the game at a reasonable level of performance whereas modders are forgiven if not everything works 100%  ". My question is, if they have those very specific goals would they take 10y? I strongly disagree.

"It really shouldn’t be difficult to understand this unless you don’t understand the overall model of playing a game early while it is still in full development mode. " - you are right and wrong, i don't find it difficult to understand, i do find, with the popularity of this game and money it generated (now i am just assuming since it sold so much) that it would take 10y of development to still be in this state.

"Your comments reveal that you really don’t get that this game is unfinished and the devs are working to get the 1.0 version finished.". Quite the contrary, my comments are based on that exact context. I do not "emotionally consider this game fully released", my critics are exactly about the opposite, it feels very far from being released in such a big time frame.

I hope this clears up your confusion to what i am actually addressing. 

This said i am happy with what the game gave me, entertainment-wise, and all the hours i managed to put into it, i just hope it doesn't take another decade to actually reach it's final destination.

5 hours ago, Walder said:

A very arrogant point of view imo

It’s not arrogance. You are coming from assumptions speculation and opinion. I’m coming from actual knowledge. I have access to all team meetings, work flow logs, and every build for every alpha. I don’t say this to brag but simply so that people will know that rather than me giving my own speculation that sounds arrogant if you think it’s just my opinion, I’m giving facts. 

5 hours ago, Walder said:

This said i am happy with what the game gave me, entertainment-wise, and all the hours i managed to put into it, i just hope it doesn't take another decade to actually reach it's final destination.

If this is so, why are you so focused on them finishing quickly?  If the journey so far has been great why demand an end? What is objectively wrong with working on the game for 10 years especially since there has been no period of abandonment or unresponsiveness. The development has been constant. 

Ahoy mate! There be zombie sharks in this water....

I am also happy with my $/Hr investment in this game. Very much so. And no, I have not always been cool with the changes during its progression from Alpha to Alpha release, and have stepped back for a while to await what the next iteration would offer.

Ideally, well, its just not ideal, ok? Creative people are often times fickle. And the artist will paint over what they have brushed in beforehand. Did you happen to see in this week's news where they discovered a 'new' Van Gogh self portrait? It was hidden under an existing artwork. He still had two ears in that image too. Lol.

I have never met Roland, nor know if he has both ears, but he usually seems to be quite forthright with his replies. And tends to respond in kind. 

Best not to throw stones into the water. It wastes your time and annoys the sharks.

Load up a new mod, start a new session and wait for the release of A21. Might want to get a small pile of rocks anyways, if it makes ya feel better. 

1 hour ago, enkephalin07 said:

Are there any changes to driveable vehicles planned? I see models for new vehicles of all types, but they appear to be the scrappable derelicts.

I'm just wondering how much effort to put into a vehicle mod before A21 release.

AFAIK, they're simply meant to replace the single sedan that apparently was the only car available for purchase in Arizona prior to the apocalypse.

Sarcasm aside, @faatal did mention that the 3D models are not built in a way to be drivable by the player.

56 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

There's nothing to know besides history.  Jars or lack of jars doesn't affect the ability to get water one bit.  

...I suppose there were those freaks who would boil water directly in a jar but why?  Pots are plentiful.

If they're planning on limiting pots, they will still be plentiful.  

Water has *never* been a problem in the game and I suspect, despite their protestations, it still ultimately won't be.  

These dew collectors just replace any hardship their was. 

I'm sure both faatal and Roland are just fools then, you're clearly the best player here, and all the water hardships they told us about are just them being noobs I guess.

3 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm sure both faatal and Roland are just fools then, you're clearly the best player here, and all the water hardships they told us about are just them being noobs I guess.

Finally.  Some acknowledgement.

... developers tend to play the game how they think it should be played.  They don't do what a seasoned player does.  

This game hasn't been challenging from a survival aspect for many alphas.