Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Thanks for the info Roland!

I don't think I saw these questions asked (there's LOTS of discussion going on on this news!), so I'll ask to be safe:

Like other workstations, as long as you've claimed an area, you can pick this up and move them, correct?

Also like other workstations, will we come across damaged ones that might contain pure water / components?

6 hours ago, FranticDan said:

So they changed that for A21?
Currently in A20, you start losing stamina regen at 75% hydration

Also, this change means we can no longer use snow to melt and boil? Or we simply can melt and boil snow and doesn't need a jar?

EDIT: Ok, so we can't melt/boil snow. I agree that currently snow is mega OP for water. But a strong nerf should happen instead of complete removal. Here's my suggestion:
-Lower the snowballs per block from 11 to 5.
-Increase the snowball cost to make water from 1 to 20.

This is a ~98% nerf and would take 4 blocks of snow to make 1 water (without motherlode)

Don't shoot me, but it is probably easier at this point to remove snow harvesting all together and just yield dirt back to the player...

*runs and hides*

12 minutes ago, Krows said:

Like other workstations, as long as you've claimed an area, you can pick this up and move them, correct?

Also like other workstations, will we come across damaged ones that might contain pure water / components?

I don’t know about moving them. I assume so but haven’t tested it. 

That depends on the POI designers. They’d have to go back and add them to existing traders and use them for new POIs. There may be a ticket to add one to each trader compound. They would probably contain murk though. You really can’t find pure water in loot any longer! (Although you can buy it)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

I'm liking the water changes... except for not being able to fill jars.. it feels weirds...
about the dew collectors @Roland, how do you loot the collected water? does it spawn in a jar? are the jars free then if there are no more empty jars in game?

42 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Don't shoot me, but it is probably easier at this point to remove snow harvesting all together and just yield dirt back to the player...

*runs and hides*

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if this was considered if empty jars/crafting murky water is going to be removed. IMO snowballs has such limited uses, with murky water being it's main use (the only other uses being the yucca smoothie and throwing them like rocks). I always have surplus of snowballs and running out was never an issue (since recipe only needs 1 snowball).

It is nice being able to dig through snow easier compared to dirt though for digging quests.

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Krows said:

1. yes (if it has some water in it, it will get added to your inventory).

2. there are none currently.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Don't shoot me, but it is probably easier at this point to remove snow harvesting all together and just yield dirt back to the player..

I'm not sure I'll like the taste of Yucca Smoothies made with dirt, but maybe it is an acquired taste.

59 minutes ago, Jugom said:

I'm liking the water changes... except for not being able to fill jars.. it feels weirds...
about the dew collectors @Roland, how do you loot the collected water? does it spawn in a jar? are the jars free then if there are no more empty jars in game?

image.png.12ecf3d02ec2b81d503319f655a9e336.png

You collect "Water". It is shown as water in a jar. When you use it, it adds water to the player and disappears.

I think it could probably be added that snowballs could be boiled for murky water making some of the balance changes to quantities and stack size and yields so that it isn’t really worth it to try and mass produce water that way but if you’re dying of thirst and can dig some snow and convert it to a bit of water to not die that should be doable. @schwanz9000 would have to take a look at it and get the okay from Madmole. 

Adding your own snowball-to-murky-water recipe and adjusting how many snowballs you can carry in a stack and how many you get from a snow block is the easiest kind of modding there is. :)

But it would be nice to have some more ice smoothie recipes. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

*runs and hides*

Well, if the grindy snow collecting, melting and boiling is removed from the snow biome. Why not remove yucca juice from the desert as well?
Keep it consistent ;)

(Disclaimer) I DON'T want that, but using logic!

2 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

Well, if the grindy snow collecting, melting and boiling is removed from the snow biome. Why not remove yucca juice from the desert as well?
Keep it consistent ;)

(Disclaimer) I DON'T want that, but using logic!

That doesn't sound logical at all lol...  There isn't 1 million Yucca plants making up the terrain of the desert biome...😁

38 minutes ago, Roland said:

I think it could probably be added that snowballs could be boiled for murky water making some of the balance changes to quantities and stack size and yields so that it isn’t really worth it to try and mass produce water that way but if you’re dying of thirst and can dig some snow and convert it to a bit of water to not die that should be doable. @schwanz9000 would have to take a look at it and get the okay from Madmole. 

My suggestion would be grindy and you would have to work for your water, it would take 8 swings with a Q1 stone shovel to get enough snow for 1 water. Or increase the snow block hp to 100 and then it'll be 12 swings for 1 drink

4 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

That doesn't sound logical at all lol...  There isn't 1 million Yucca plants making up the terrain of the desert biome...😁

That is precisely why I made the suggestion to nerf the amount of water you can get from snow by 98% :D

13 hours ago, Roland said:

I know that there is going to be a lot of debate over the next while over realism and gameplay and why jars have been removed except as a visual unit of drinkable liquid. I can’t fault anyone for thinking it is weird. This game has always been quirky and weird with the bottles. 

Well, let's be real, pretty much any decision to remove something at this point is simply for the console port.

Yes it is weird, and unnecessary as it won't in any way shape or form make water more difficult, just weirder.

14 hours ago, Roland said:

I think the footprint is 3x3 and the height is possibly 3 or 4 blocks?  Can’t confirm right now but maybe someone else can. 

There is not a more advanced version of the dew collector.   It is not hard to build but it does take a lot of resources and a part( the filter) that can’t be crafted.  In the beginning it will be tough to get multiple made but later it will get easier. 

As for MP there is no need to modify vending machines or traders. Crafting teas will just be even more important. I am crafting more teas than I ever did before. You have less water now so you really want what you have to go farther and the teas really do help. Plus having a goldenrod tea on hand makes drinking murk less risky. 

I know that there is going to be a lot of debate over the next while over realism and gameplay and why jars have been removed except as a visual unit of drinkable liquid. I can’t fault anyone for thinking it is weird. This game has always been quirky and weird with the bottles. 

But it does play fun. It is fun getting the water part of survival managed and it does eventually reach a point where water survival is a breeze and doesn’t matter but the journey is much better……if you can forgive the oddities. 

This makes the helmet mod that lets you drink murky water without risk much more valuable.

Or have they been removed too?

29 minutes ago, A Nice Cup of Tea said:

This makes the helmet mod that lets you drink murky water without risk much more valuable.

Or have they been removed too?

I think it will work like this: you can drink murky water from jar and helmet will help, but when you drink from a river with your hand, a helmet will not help ;)

Edited by Survager (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, Survager said:

I think it will work like this: you can drink murky water from jar and helmet will help, but when you drink from a river with your hand, a helmet will not help ;)

LOL. Unless you go swimming first.

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Video games have been dealing with the "Glass Vial / Jar" issue for years now... The internet already has a perfectly good explanation already... 😅

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjXOwUnJzA0

Honestly... "loosing" bottles after drinking health potion is very logical. It's much faster to just throw away that put empty bottle into backpack etc.

Good day, @faatal. I have a few questions for you.

1. Will the problematic windows that degrade performance in large cities and skyscrapers be replaced in A21, or already in A20.X?

2. Is it possible in the future to eliminate flickering on the edges of some objects when using TAA smoothing? Or is it a feature of TAA in Unity?

3. Is it possible in the future to add FidelityFX CAS to (or instead of) the existing sharpening filter for TAA? Or is it completely unnecessary? (Or, like FSR 1.0, not implementable without HDRP?)

3 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Yes it is weird, and unnecessary as it won't in any way shape or form make water more difficult, just weirder.

How can you say that? From all I've read on how it plays right now is quite the opposite.

Unless you know something that we don't, that is... :suspicious:

1 hour ago, Kirill_226RUS said:

Good day, @faatal. I have a few questions for you.

1. Will the problematic windows that degrade performance in large cities and skyscrapers be replaced in A21, or already in A20.X?

2. Is it possible in the future to eliminate flickering on the edges of some objects when using TAA smoothing? Or is it a feature of TAA in Unity?

3. Is it possible in the future to add FidelityFX CAS to (or instead of) the existing sharpening filter for TAA? Or is it completely unnecessary? (Or, like FSR 1.0, not implementable without HDRP?)

1 In A21. I think most have been replaced at this point.

2 TAA needs the flicker or it does not work.

3 It probably needs HDRP.