Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

17 minutes ago, schwanz9000 said:

They are at the end of the workstation crafting magazine tree which only requires 75 Forge Ahead Magazines to be read. Advanced Engineering will boost the probabilities of finding those magazines. You can also purchase the magazines from the trader or get them as quest rewards.

That's what I thought. So the best strategy is still to have Better Barter at level 3 and visit all traders every three days.

The boost you get via the perks was described as very subtle and more of a safety net. Therefore, I would be reluctant to rely on it.

With all schematics removed, not a lot is left of Advanced Engineering anyway.

Perhaps it makes sense to add a modification for dew collector, which will allow you to collect more water in order to balance the number of new workstations in relation to existing ones.Usually in my game I don't use more than 2 forges, 2 workbenches and 1 chemical station.A large farm of 10 or more dew collector would look strange.Modification (or several levels of it?) would reduce the number of new working combinations to 2-3 in a late game for one player.

Since most often I build my bases from scratch, I will have to spend a lot more construction resources and time to build the necessary base area, taking into account the large number of dew collector.This is unlikely to be convenient.

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

1 hour ago, mstdv inc said:

Perhaps it makes sense to add a modification for dew collector, which will allow you to collect more water in order to balance the number of new workstations in relation to existing ones.

Would also be useful for nomadic players. Instead of packing 20 dew collectors every time a player moves, maybe it would be only 2 or 3.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

so the dew collector is a early game item,  Forges have addons like bellows and anvils that make them more efficent, is there  any chance that dew collectors will have add on slots to make them more efficent/increase capacity.  even if they are gated/locked behind high lootstage/crafting recipes  (similar to crucible/tier3 items)?

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

Cans are gone too

Actually a little sad to hear those are gone.  I try to see how long I can go without having to create mines for materials based on either gathering materials through looting /scalvaging or just taking 1-2 layers off of the top (like the ore nodes on top or rocks, or digging two layers down in the ground).  Those cans were a nice source of scrap iron for me.

Though I can easily mod them back in if I want to.

9 minutes ago, schwanz9000 said:

The dew collector is not the only way to get jars of water. Do you guys not quest or loot POI's? There is plenty of murky water out there to be found.

That's different from what Roland told us

On 7/24/2022 at 1:02 PM, Roland said:

In A21 if you raid five kitchens you would probably come away with a pot and 2 bottles of murky water that won't return a jar.

2 bottles from 5 kitchens don't sound like "plenty".

34 minutes ago, schwanz9000 said:

The dew collector is not the only way to get jars of water. Do you guys not quest or loot POI's? There is plenty of murky water out there to be found.

Are dew collectors movable? Someone mentioned nomadic play style, but IMO those huge collectors shouldn't be movable at all.

What's the difference between a nomadic life and a stationary play style, if nomads can get their "base" with them?

9 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Are dew collectors movable? Someone mentioned nomadic play style, but IMO those huge collectors shouldn't be movable at all.

What's the difference between a nomadic life and a stationary play style, if nomads can get their "base" with them?

They can be picked up inside land claimed areas like all the workstations and electrical traps.

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

If it takes 10 3x3 dew collectors you don't think that is broken as well? I can see it coming. A base surrounded by them on a Co OP game. Not ideal.

I threw out the number 10+. I certainly am not going to need 10+ but others will want to. It definitely isn't necessary to surround your base by them if you don't want to. As I mentioned to Ripclaw, 6 collectors would satisfy his needs for 100 glue per week. Given that Schwanz said there is now more glue in loot he could probably get by with fewer.

10 dew collectors will produce 30 pure water per day. That is in addition to any murky water you find and boil. If you don't think you would need that much water then it won't take 10 dew collectors. <shrug>

17 minutes ago, zztong said:

Admittedly this isn't the game TFP envisioned, but I find it fun.

This is the crux of your dilemma right here and the key to your solution is modding. If you want to play in a way that completely outside the scope of the basic game then you are obviously going to have to change some things about the basic game. My suggestion would be to make a recipe for murky water out of the pot and snow.  Then again by time you make it to your second map you are sure to know the goldenrod tea recipe so you could drink straight from streams and lakes, use a first aid kit to restore your health, and top it off with a goldenrod tea to counteract the dysintery if you get it.

1 hour ago, RipClaw said:

That's different from what Roland told us

2 bottles from 5 kitchens don't sound like "plenty".

Well the post I responded to specifically mentioned kitchens and not whole POIs. Bathroom toilets have a pretty even chance of giving a murky water or paper. Drink dispensors, water jugs, and other drink themed containers have a high chance of containing murky water. The point of my post was to show that in A20 if you raided 5 kitchens you could easily come away with several jars that could be easily refilled forever. You might find a few empty jars, some pure water, a coffee, and some murky water but you would gain empty jars from all the drinks and be able to use all those jars to easily replenish your water supply. In A21 you will come away with much less and no free empty jars that can be refilled. I tested it after responding and I raided 5 kitchens in five different houses and ended up with 2 murky water and 1 coffee. If I had raided the bathrooms I probably would have had more murky water but the challenge to the new system that was issued was that the new meta would be to raid five kitchens and once again have a pot and plenty of water to boil so once again no water challenge. I wanted to show that that was not the case and even adding in the bathrooms that wouldn't necessarily be the case because of the key change-- no more empty jars. Whatever water you found would be a one time use and then you would have to find more.

Hope that clarifies. There is plenty of murky water for drinking. You can directly drink from any water source after all. Nobody should ever have to suffer the effects of dehydration if they are willing to drink murky water. If you are doing a lot of looting you will find murky water that can be brought home to boil. I guess it depends on how much you scavenge if you want to have "plenty" of murky water in your inventory.

26 minutes ago, Roland said:

You can directly drink from any water source after all. Nobody should ever have to suffer the effects of dehydration if they are willing to drink murky water.

I bet in A21 vitamins and goldenrod tea will become very valuable. Moreover the water filter mod for the helmet will find itself next to the helmet light in every player helmet.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

19 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

The default settings are approximately 3 jars of water every 24 hours in game (60mins default real time). Random rolls can make this a few game hours shorter or longer.

does this mean people playing 5 minute days will have a lot of water and those playing longer days will have a harder time collecting them?

but whatever it is you found during looting you will probably have to drink it anyways because you are also consuming more stamina during the looting.
and those on shorter days will still get the looting done and also know they come back to base pretty much at any time to a full collector.

The game is designed and balanced to default settings. We allow players to change those settings, but doing so will come with various results. You could change it to Nightmare, always run, horde everyday, 5 minute days, and 25% loot. Your gonna have a bad time, but that is your choice.

Speaking of traders:  Are y'all planning on giving us the capability to create custom Gateway tiles?  It appears that the game is coded so that there can be only one GW tile that is used by all cities/towns/etc......   I'm working on a water-based tile system, and the one thing that's throwing it off is the gateway tile....   :(

Edited by MichaelL. (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, MichaelL. said:

Speaking of traders:  Are y'all planning on giving us the capability to create custom Gateway tiles?  It appears that the game is coded so that there can be only one GW tile that is used by all cities/towns/etc......   I'm working on a water-based tile system, and the one thing that's throwing it off is the gateway tile....   :(

I think that's on the to do list. Not 100% sure though. @Kinyajuu would know more about that.

Removing class jars isn't the way to go. This is purely making a change to make a change. People who play the game wouldn't ask for this. Have some sort of end game, as there is little reason to play beyond about day 70.

Things that should be in the game:

1. more drink choices (milkshakes, etc)

2. animals you have to look after (cows, pigs, horses, etc)

3. hen houses

4. more variety of POIs (train station and tracks, airports)

5. stop making every house a potential trader quest

19 minutes ago, Speedworx said:

1. more drink choices (milkshakes, etc)

Where do we get the milk?

20 minutes ago, Speedworx said:

2. animals you have to look after (cows, pigs, horses, etc)

Cows are too slow and got eaten by all the zombies.
We have boars.
Everyone would want to ride the horses and we just don't have the bandwidth to add that right now.
Animal Husbandry is not within the scope of this game.

3. hen houses

We have several ideas for this, but not working on it yet.

4. more variety of POIs (train station and tracks, airports)

We currently have over 630 POI's.
We do have a train station in one of the RWG tiles.
The airport has been a topic for a VERY long time. We'll see what shakes out later down the road, but don't get your hopes up.

5. stop making every house a potential trader quest

We have nearly 100 abandoned or remnant POI's that are not quest-able. That doesn't even include all of the POI parts or RWG tiles that are fully explorable.