Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

38 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

You missed the point probably because you're a "new" player?

In old alphas we had more biomes variety with specific features you don't have with the current ones.

The plains biome was like what you can see in this video:

Reveal hidden contents

This brings me back. Plains was my favorite biome to build and live in. I forgot about the water biome, that really brought a lot of life and ambiance to the lakes and rivers they encompassed. I hope it makes a return, it really was nice.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

You missed the point probably because you're a "new" player?

In old alphas we had more biomes variety with specific features you don't have with the current ones.

The plains biome was like what you can see in this video:

Reveal hidden contents

Lol no, I'm not a new player. It's just that a lot of people are chirping about this or that being added in without being cognizant of the design philosophy the Fun Pimps seem to have - Just use mods like most active players do if you really want something.

This philosophy is the same reason they're more conservative about zombie variation and gradually gutted portions of the crafting/building/survival mechanics over time.

Since like a17, They've been trimming the fat on what might be deemed trival or redundant, and focusing on progression  and streamlining/refining impactful, prominent features - I'd put some money down that the only "big" content addition they'll make before gold is the inclusion of bandits and a storyline.

Maybe I'm wrong and a Fun Pimp will correct me, but it's been a pretty obvious progression over time in my eyes on the direction of the game.

Edited by cmills
clarification (see edit history)

On 2/10/2024 at 9:11 PM, VoltraLux said:

I don't think the lack of in game decor models is pertinent to the existence of something in the game, you just can't have models for everything in the game especially when they serve no purpose. 

Right.

I mean, at what point does the ludicrous become ludicrous?

Where are the toothbrushes? Nail clippers? Scissors? Space heaters? DVDs? Pens and pencils? (gasp!) Forks, spoons, tumblers, hand soap containers, rakes, lawn mowers, ad nauseum.

Don't need them for immersion.

3 hours ago, Arma Rex said:

This brings me back. Plains was my favorite biome to build and live in. I forgot about the water biome, that really brought a lot of life and ambiance to the lakes and rivers they encompassed. I hope it makes a return, it really was nice.

It was the closet to the swamp we got

3 hours ago, Laran Mithras said:

Right.

I mean, at what point does the ludicrous become ludicrous?

Where are the toothbrushes? Nail clippers? Scissors? Space heaters? DVDs? Pens and pencils? (gasp!) Forks, spoons, tumblers, hand soap containers, rakes, lawn mowers, ad nauseum.

Don't need them for immersion.

I just want lawnmowers just for A mowers equal engine and b 

Too troll people saying they want lawnmowers

9 hours ago, cmills said:

I mean, you could just set the biome slider for plains to 100% lol. IDK If its worth the time to design and code in its very own biome though..

Plains biome got removed in A17 if I recall. We even used to have two different forest biomes.

5 hours ago, cmills said:

Lol no, I'm not a new player. It's just that a lot of people are chirping about this or that being added in without being cognizant of the design philosophy the Fun Pimps seem to have - Just use mods like most active players do if you really want something.

Please link me to a mod that adds new biomes to the game.

1 hour ago, FranticDan said:

Plains biome got removed in A17 if I recall. We even used to have two different forest biomes.

Please link me to a mod that adds new biomes to the game.

That's right 

We had maple forest which it's warmer and then you had the pine forest that was colder and could even snow rarely on alpha 15 and I think 16

Kinda miss the snow

8 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

That's right 

We had maple forest which it's warmer and then you had the pine forest that was colder and could even snow rarely on alpha 15 and I think 16

Kinda miss the snow

The snow was awesome. I loved how it accumulated on everything and I think you even left footprints in it. 

I don’t miss needing a million clothes to fight the constantly changing temps. The mini game of trying to not constantly freeze/overheat-even in the maple forest-was a little tedious. 

8 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Kinda miss the snow

Yeah.  I hope snowfall can make it back in with the weather system.  Snowy, foggy variations in the Snow Biome would be great.  That and the old rain storms; blinding, deafening, heavy rains and thunder to really mess up whatever you had planned to do that day to prepare for Bloodmoon.

Ok guys : one good  thing. This new designs of traders bases are soooo good. i love them.

Neutral thing

mortague POI - Realy good especialy this cult vibes

Witch POI - realy good nothing to complain, realy good muschrooms source and visualy great

Military road blockade with base - realy good POI. Only  small  thing is that you can parkour this all POI easy

This "horror" house with tree with rope - eh... kinda good idea but wasted. 

I will explain why - this POI is small. In theory is hard - many skulls. But  in reality is realy easy - now you have tons of ammo so - if you shot zombie nearby it will activate most of them. so zombie will show up in waves - hard variants but because of waves that soooo easy to kill. so easy too loot. only rooftop would challenge but because 1 thing is not - you can easy spot burned zombie because there is no burned corpse props. So - it kinda have potential to be "nightmare house mod for hl2 "  inspired POI but lack of hangmans, corpses , maybe some writings would be great

and last thing - too many zombie workers and hazmats everywhere. Like... just you can find them almost everywhere - well workers and hazmats should be more POI- connected variants not common like normal civilians. Because if you can find them in almost every house it's just medicore.  Maybe add infected bandits or swats instead would solve this problem

3 hours ago, beerfly said:

As in the first post of this thread is added, one of the goals for gold, is weather. Fingers crossed.

Lord knows when that will happen.  I highly doubt this alpha maybe the next or last one

Bandits, weather, story, and a few  things I'm sure I'm forgetting 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

On 2/17/2024 at 1:34 AM, FranticDan said:

And what about brand new biomes, like a Swamp/Marsh?

On 2/17/2024 at 2:58 AM, faatal said:

Maybe someday, but not for A22.

this! every zombie game needs it, do it please 

20 hours ago, beerfly said:

As in the first post of this thread is added, one of the goals for gold, is weather. Fingers crossed.

god yes, please fix the weather. I hope that in Arizona , where this is alegedly based , it doesnt rain every day or even two or three times a day!

15 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

And worst of all.... swamp zombies or hillbilly zombies 

Soggy and stinky 

Haven’t they said no more zombies due to reasons regarding the game engine?

I say double down and finish the damn game so a new project that will allow more variety can be played.

56 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I say double down and finish the damn game so a new project that will allow more variety can be played.

I mean if they are able to add bandits and Mods can add them then it should be possible 

Remember that they have to balance computer resources for a co-op game up to 8 players and older computer setups.  Mods don't have to worry about that, so modders can have more freedom to do what they want and not worry about the consequences of adding more items to the game.

My computer can handle more, but I only play SP and my computer was recently built in the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

In the A21 dev videos before A21 released, they said they were considering adding a couple more, so I think this is incorrect.  But whether or not they do is another question.  Just because they said they were considering it doesn't mean it will happen.  Besides, they had more in the past, so having more now shouldn't be an issue.

3 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

What is with you and the flip flops

BOOOOOO FLIP FLOP IS SCARY

main-qimg-827a51da05c8f79662c5b8dfabe7d3f9-lq.jpeg

i hate such shoes, To be honest i have trauma connected with shoes so i don't like wearing shoes... and socks too. But - for character design shoes are not suitable :

nature connected cultists? Barefoot 

Street urchin in medieval? barefoot

Elf? let's say it's not battle armor and more dalish that warhammer then lack of shoes suit good

So this same for zombie design - a lot of people go barefoot in houses plus shoes wear out after long walking. so would have sense that "long time zombies" are mostly barefoot and in rags

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

In the A21 dev videos before A21 released, they said they were considering adding a couple more, so I think this is incorrect.  But whether or not they do is another question.  Just because they said they were considering it doesn't mean it will happen.  Besides, they had more in the past, so having more now shouldn't be an issue.

As previously stated it has something to do with bandits. I am not a programmer it sounded like they needed the resources/assets to use for bandits.