Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Will things like headshot bonus and dismemberment chance still apply only to certain tools/weapons/robotics under each attribute  (for example, Strength currently governs the headshot bonus and dismemberment chance of shotguns, clubs, sledgehammers and tools, specifically), or is that going to be changed as well?

(I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere and I just missed it.)

4 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

I had... terrible lecturer on my university. He is old and... hm we don't like him because he forced to use his books on few diffrent subjects. And i found after 2-3 weeks part 2 and 3 but i coudn't find part 1. i manage to find this after... 2 months. 

7dtd take part after fall of nukes right? i'm not living in USA but i think it could be hard to find some books in more country states. And after fall of nukes it should be extreme rare. Yes it would take a lot of time ( at least 12 hours of playing) to finish on "gun" but... that's a point. But i know players hate undynamic gameplay

You’ll have to try it out to see if the books feel rare enough to you. I’m certain there are probably values in the config files that could be changed to make magazines so rare that you won’t be able to figure out Bacon and Eggs until Day 100 if that’s what you want. 

3 minutes ago, Frozendreams said:

Will things like headshot bonus and dismemberment chance still apply only to certain tools/weapons/robotics under each attribute  (for example, Strength currently governs the headshot bonus and dismemberment chance of shotguns, clubs, sledgehammers and tools, specifically), or is that going to be changed as well?

(I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere and I just missed it.)

There is no change to that. Some rebalancing of perks and revamping will need to take place since so many were mostly for unlocking crafting recipes and tiers. But attributes still do what they did. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

You’ll have to try it out to see if the books feel rare enough to you. I’m certain there are probably values in the config files that could be changed to make magazines so rare that you won’t be able to figure out Bacon and Eggs until Day 100 if that’s what you want. 

There is no change to that. Some rebalancing of perks and revamping will need to take place since so many were mostly for unlocking crafting recipes and tiers. But attributes still do what they did. 

Gotcha'.  Thanks.  :)

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

To add to that, everyone should be pleased: Haters of LBD have vanilla and mods, lovers of LBD as well have multiple excellent mods to play.

Yes. Since you get xp for many activities and can get better with xp LBD was never gone in the strict sense.

Mods are not solution. it is like only car dealer in town said  - " well if you don't like this cars buy a helicopter" but helicopter is much more expensive and  even less avalible.

You know my opinion about 7dtd mods so in short - mods are not solution

9 hours ago, Roland said:

You can find a lot of magazines. 10-12 of one type per day?  Maybe. I’m sure the amounts in loot will change several times before A21 comes out. It’s still a WIP. 

Well this supposed to be 1 magazine per 10-12 days

3 minutes ago, Roland said:

... now i'm even more disspointed because i was thinking it's just connected with weapon. This make thing even less realisic. Why? you can figured out how to cook Bacon and eggs just... by sitting in kitchen so you don't have to find info about that just  tries and errors. I had a lot of problems fry meat got when i was making spaggeti and i found how without looking in google etc. But okay let say we are talking magasine. Still i don't living in USA but at least in my country most of people have cooking books. So if add magazines using logic you should have maxed top chef after looting one house.

Just to be clear on a few points being discussed about the new crafting skill system:

It is the perk's loot probability boost that will drop off once a crafting skill is at 100%. NOT the magazines themselves. You can still find shotgun mags and give them to your friends, scrap them for paper, or read them for XP.

Tool and weapon parts are still required in recipes.

The only thing different for perks and perk books are the crafting unlocks. Everything else is the same. Some of them will have new perks added to them to beef them up a bit.

21 minutes ago, schwanz9000 said:

It is the perk's loot probability boost that will drop off once a crafting skill is at 100%. NOT the magazines themselves.

Hahaha...that is a pretty important clarification. Thank you. I'll edit the front page accordingly.

I dunno, I think the devs have been pretty open about their approach to realism/plausibility, which I would sum up as "nice to have, but will always be behind gameplay/tech/fun considerations". This system doesn't seem particularly more or less realistic than the other system to me, but it does seem like a tighter and better-integrated design. 7DTD has been moving in a more looting-focused direction in recent years (dungeon POIs, skill books, un-mineable resources like brass & plastic) so something like this isn't too surprising.

I do concede that if I hated looting or was just more into mining/crafting, I'd probably feel differently about this.

so will a blue pump shotgun still require 15 shotgun parts in the new system? or will the part cost to craft be cheaper because you need to grind and find skills and it will take alot longer to get there. (i.e 9-11 parts). 

In a20 you would rush the shotgun skill perks and maybe have enough parts to only make 1 by the time you had the recipe.

3 hours ago, LeksColman said:

it's still a mystery to me in the current crafting system, why, if I made a club out of iron, then I can't figure out how to make a club out of steel? Is there some fundamentally different approach? 

Yes, forging iron and forging steel are VERY different IRL.  

It is the perk's loot probability boost that will drop off once a crafting skill is at 100%. NOT the magazines themselves

Maybe I am not understanding "loot probability".  Are you saying that once my Shotgun crafting skill reaches 100% My chances to find shotguns and shotgun parts drops off? 

1 hour ago, POCKET951 said:

so will a blue pump shotgun still require 15 shotgun parts in the new system? or will the part cost to craft be cheaper because you need to grind and find skills and it will take alot longer to get there. (i.e 9-11 parts). 

In a20 you would rush the shotgun skill perks and maybe have enough parts to only make 1 by the time you had the recipe.

Per MM' post:

"Perking into shotguns for example, increases the odds of finding shotgun magazines, shotgun parts, and shotguns in loot."

So more parts should be available to find in loot.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Mods are not solution. it is like only car dealer in town said  - " well if you don't like this cars buy a helicopter" but helicopter is much more expensive and  even less avalible.

Well this supposed to be 1 magazine per 10-12 days

... now i'm even more disspointed because i was thinking it's just connected with weapon. This make thing even less realisic. Why? you can figured out how to cook Bacon and eggs just... by sitting in kitchen so you don't have to find info about that just  tries and errors. I had a lot of problems fry meat got when i was making spaggeti and i found how without looking in google etc. But okay let say we are talking magasine. Still i don't living in USA but at least in my country most of people have cooking books. So if add magazines using logic you should have maxed top chef after looting one house.

Mods are not a solution eh? Sorry the game is not made specifically for @Matt115 they are indeed a solution! The simple fact is there is legit no way for the TFP to please everyone 100% of the time that is why they are supporting deeper and deeper levels of modding. Stop shutting down anyone who defies you.

Question for TFP:

Does movement ingame will ever be upgraded/reworked? It feels a little bit clunky, the game now has pretty high quality standards but movement always felt like Alpha 4 (when i started playing the game)

Thoughts? 

Edit: I'm talking about player movement, vehicle movement is pretty neat now.

Edited by Trankitas (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

Maybe I am not understanding "loot probability".  Are you saying that once my Shotgun crafting skill reaches 100% My chances to find shotguns and shotgun parts drops off? 

drops back down to normal levels not drops off to zero.

I'm not sure if that just applies to just the magazines or if it also applies to parts and shotguns as well.

Are magazines the only item affected? If not and if parts are affected too then an exploit was just born : perk up X weapon to almost max and don't expend the last point, then enjoy boosted "part looting" until you are satisfied. That exploit can be done with magazines, but to what purpose other than gift them to your cluncky newbie partner? Good exploitable feature right there.

Parts boosted, on the other hand, results in a flaw. And it is easily solved by just maintaining part abundance (if it ever does get implemented) and never dropping it down once perked up. If it is too much then making the boost smaller is the solution.

Otherwise, good luck explaining how a perk "downgrades" anything, specially part abundance after completion. Specific magazine " loot table boost" we can live without when reaching max skill.

So I believe parts should be out of that boost if not permanent, they are "canny and wormy".

Yes!!! Learning by doing will come back!!! That's amazing. I loved the update towards alpha 17 but missed the learning by doing in alpha 16.

Now my only wish left is that eventually some more building materials will be (re)added :) 

@madmole @Roland

Many players are worried about how it will feel in the co-op? A player who improves tools, farming, construction, etc., will have to loot buildings on a par with a player who improves armor, melee weapons and firearms? Will he have to devote less time to resource extraction, for example? Otherwise, there will be too few magazines to improve the tools? And how will the "lucky looter" perk affect the frequency of the appearance of magazines and parts? Probably, not all questions can be answered yet, but they are fair - their meaning boils down to how the new system of crafting and magazine search will affect the co-op and the distribution of roles in the team ?

15 hours ago, Roland said:

Crafting  is going to be linear within each skill tree. However, gamestage is variable now depending on biome so if you want early big rewards go play in the right biome to get that. 

I doubt that you will find T3 items in the first two weeks. Even with the 250% loot bonus of the wasteland. But I will definitely test it out.

8 hours ago, Roland said:

drops back down to normal levels not drops off to zero.

I'm not sure if that just applies to just the magazines or if it also applies to parts and shotguns as well.

Drops down to a non-zero chance is good I think.  Why would I want a bunch of shotgun parts and shotguns after I have already crafted my legendary masterpiece.  Besides, I will be working on building up my crafting in multiple things.  Once I have a great shotgun, I think I would rather start getting more parts for the things I am still working on building up.  

11 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

Just to be clear on a few points being discussed about the new crafting skill system:

It is the perk's loot probability boost that will drop off once a crafting skill is at 100%. NOT the magazines themselves. You can still find shotgun mags and give them to your friends, scrap them for paper, or read them for XP.

Tool and weapon parts are still required in recipes.

The only thing different for perks and perk books are the crafting unlocks. Everything else is the same. Some of them will have new perks added to them to beef them up a bit.

to first part 1. If this was working like - do you want make  pump shotgun ? fine just find number 4 , 5 and 6 o of shotgun messiah. This "use this same magasine X time" remind me too much how to improve  skills in metin 2.

9 hours ago, P3rf3ctVZer0 said:

Mods are not a solution eh? Sorry the game is not made specifically for @Matt115 they are indeed a solution! The simple fact is there is legit no way for the TFP to please everyone 100% of the time that is why they are supporting deeper and deeper levels of modding. Stop shutting down anyone who defies you.

Ofc are not. In Poland we have Cobi - similiar company to LEGO but focused on military bricks - you know WW2 sets, modern sets. This sets rly good and looks great.  But what if you want to make "Battle of Berlin diorama" but you can't find T-34. You can look for diffrent sets of another companies or ask company about that. Most WW2 sets looks bad and don't suit to Cobi sets. So if you want to keep good aestetic you have to use only orginal sets.

And this same problem have 7dtd - most of  7dtd mods looks look like made by asian F2P FPS developers. So only way to get good quality content is ask devs about that

13 hours ago, Matt115 said:

There surely is a sizable group of people who can't use mods now for 7D2D (even if explained step by step) and an even smaller group that will not be able to use mods once 7D2D has steam workshop included.

If you belong to that last group then I can only say "s*** happens but that is life". There are people who can't use elevators because of feat of closed spaces. There are people with mental deficiences so strong they can't drive a car. There are blind people who can't drive a car. Should I stop calling a car to be a solution for getting from a to b because there are some blind people?

If I don't like the seriousness of CoD I don't play it or play a mod that changes it to something fun for me. I decided to simply not play CoD. You seem to expect a third way, that TFP change their game to some other game they do not want to do just for you. Try to change CoD first by posting in their forum, then come back 😁

EDIT: Oh, right. You can use mods, but you don't want to because the quality is lower in your opinion. Well, if people are very picky then it is quite normal that they often don't get what they want. Another fact of life.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Burrfly said:

Yes!!! Learning by doing will come back!!! That's amazing. I loved the update towards alpha 17 but missed the learning by doing in alpha 16.

Now my only wish left is that eventually some more building materials will be (re)added :) 

Learn by Doing is not coming back.

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Learn by Doing is not coming back.

The quest system is basically Learn by Doing. That's why people spam quests obsessively. It touches all the same gamerogenous zones.

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

TFP next game will be more seriousness

If you would spell out their name fully instead of using their initials, you wouldn't be prone to false expectations and inevitable disappointment like this...

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

What does the Workstations unlock look like? Is Chemistry Station there or on Medical? And how do you unlock the Crucible?

Also, interesting that "repair tools" have their own 50-points crafting skill. Since stone axe is unlocked from the start, does that mean claw hammer at 25 and nailgun at 50? If so, that's harsh!