Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Callum123456789 said:

That's interesting to know does that mean forges will be in poi's now in alpha 21? I played through every poi in alpha 20 and they all lacked a forge to loot exceptions for the traders.

There are a few but not very many left. I know of one T4 POI. It has the ingame name house_old_victorian_03.

EDIT: I found a second POI with a forge. It is house_old_victorian_02. 

EDIT2: I looked at the two POIs in the prefab editor. It seems that a helper block is used that randomly spawns a forge, workbench or chemistry station. The helper block is 3x2x1, so there should be enough space to the left and right for the new forge.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, Crater Creator said:

It just sounds like a find & replace job for the few POIs that already had forges in them. Except it has to be done manually, so the bigger forges don’t absorb adjacent blocks the way they would with a blind find & replace. On whether forges in POIs will be any different regarding functionality or lootability, I have nothing to share at this time.

Clearly the new forge is taller. It is also wider. Do you know if it "grows" to the left or the right when you're facing it. That is, can I know in advance which way a forge placed in one of my POIs is going to be knocking out walls and destroying blocks? I could be making room for it now and it would be one less thing to worry about in a mad dash to support A21. :)

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

I don’t think it’ll hurt anything to confirm that the new forge has dimensions of 2x2x1. The devs are well aware of how this means layout changes to rooms with forges, since the level designers will be adjusting POIs that have forges to work with the new size.

So it is really just a cosmetic improvement.

No adjustments to e.g. melting speed, number of slots, production times etc, for compensating the needed space?

I mean, nobody would complain about a twice as big forge, if it would be twice as productive.

But having to "stack" lots of em into a room in an ugly way, or having to make a bigger room just to compensate for a cosmetic design change, is...meh.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

For me, I like more realistic layouts of workstations, so I don't stack them. 

I can understand how it might be fun playing from a "Rat Hole" base.  Seeing how optimal you space usage can be. 

Doesn't it rob a bit of immersion/believability though?

I know... Zombies.

Everyone is asking for at least some news on the new alpha. At least some. You give news. People are unhappy. Seriously? You whine that silence is in alpha and you yourself are negative from the news. Well, they changed the size. Well, they made the appearance of the forge more logical. Well, the characteristics did not write anything. Developers are not required to disclose everything at once on any request. Should they write their bank account details? codes from bank cards? Or will you be dissatisfied with it? Or will that not be enough either?

14 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

For me, I like more realistic layouts of workstations, so I don't stack them. 

I can understand how it might be fun playing from a "Rat Hole" base.  Seeing how optimal you space usage can be. 

Doesn't it rob a bit of immersion/believability though?

I know... Zombies.

I support. It would be more realism, I would probably get high and burn at the same time)

46 minutes ago, DuHast_Play said:

Everyone is asking for at least some news on the new alpha. At least some. You give news. People are unhappy. Seriously? You whine that silence is in alpha and you yourself are negative from the news. Well, they changed the size.

For most, the size change is irrelevant since they have to build a new base in A21 anyway. However, for creators of custom POIs it has a greater impact since they will have to revise their POIs after the release of A21 if they have placed a forge there.

29 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

For most, the size change is irrelevant since they have to build a new base in A21 anyway. However, for creators of custom POIs it has a greater impact since they will have to revise their POIs after the release of A21 if they have placed a forge there.

so there will be new blocks for construction, as far as I remember. Isn't it easier for them to wait for the update, study everything in detail and already knowing all the nuances to make their POIs? Of course, it will be a shame for the old POIs that they wanted to transfer to the new version, for example. But this does not mean that without knowing anything in essence, you need to catch up on any news that does not please them, when there is so little news

2 hours ago, DuHast_Play said:

as I wrote today, regarding the zone with workbenches, I am attaching screenshots. The shelter was built from scratch, not in a ready-made house. And this is the underground

1.png

2.png

3.png

Similar to what we do, though without the green drawers over the forges.  It works well and looks good even if it takes more space than stacking stuff.

59 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Similar to what we do, though...

Yeah, similar to what I do too, how come?

Oh wait, right, it is what everybody does.

Workstations with storage boxes next to them.

Some of them boxes even placed one over another.

You don't have to think out of the box to get that idea 😃

26 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

Yeah, similar to what I do too, how come?

Oh wait, right, it is what everybody does.

Workstations with storage boxes next to them.

Some of them boxes even placed one over another.

You don't have to think out of the box to get that idea 😃

Yes, but they were making the comparison with what some do, which is stack all their forges and cement mixers and I was just agreeing with them about that.  I would be interested to see what percent do this versus the stacking.  Nothing else to do while waiting. 😁

Might be an interesting poll.  I'd also be interested to see how many people like to put things in containers that fit the items rather than just crates.  For example, I like putting water in a water bubbler (whatever those are called) and beer in the triple stack of wooden barrels.  If I could have the metal barrel without fire, I'd put gas in those.  That sort of thing. Would be nice to have more suitable containers.😀

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Yes, but they were making the comparison with what some do, which is stack all their forges and cement mixers and I was just agreeing with them about that.  I would be interested to see what percent do this versus the stacking.  Nothing else to do while waiting. 😁

Might be an interesting poll.  I'd also be interested to see how many people like to put things in containers that fit the items rather than just crates.  For example, I like putting water in a water bubbler (whatever those are called) and beer in the triple stack of wooden barrels.  If I could have the metal barrel without fire, I'd put gas in those.  That sort of thing. Would be nice to have more suitable containers.😀

I also like to separate the loot into specific boxes, and if there is a boiler, I will put mineral water into it. Muddy water goes into the sink. etc. and in the Undead Legasy fashion I do the same) and I don’t use a sleeping bag) I put a big bed)

46 minutes ago, DuHast_Play said:

I also like to separate the loot into specific boxes, and if there is a boiler, I will put mineral water into it. Muddy water goes into the sink. etc. and in the Undead Legasy fashion I do the same) and I don’t use a sleeping bag) I put a big bed)

I never thought of using the sink for murky water storage.  I like that.  Definitely need a real bed. 😁

Don't know exactly when but we are definitely getting closer to A21 experimental.  On the level design side, the majority of legacy POIs have had the major art pass with all of the latest new assets and shapes.  There will definitely be additional smaller passes but many of those shouldn't hold up the release in my opinion.  Hopefully there will be some type of announcement soon TM.

I know the wait has been painful but rest assured that every passing day is another day the game gets even better.  For example, I know bandits are not dropping with A21, but the character art team has been making major progress on them.  The naked cowboy that was teased a while ago was just the tip of the iceberg.  It's exciting thinking about what new gameplay will be added once we get those.  Some of the updated POIs that are included in A21 will already have some bandit "considerations" in their updates.  Keep an eye out for them. 😎

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

I have a curious question. Lets say the whole alpha thing didn't exist and The Fun Pimps worked on the game from 0-100% and then dropped the gold game. How much easier would it have made to work on the game, and also, how much time do you think it would have saved you? In hind sight, would you change that now, or do you still think using a playable alpha is helpful. 

That being said, there must also be some advantages to having a playable alpha out since you can get feedback from us, even though some of us can be whiny at times lolol.

Thanks guys.  

33 minutes ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

I have a curious question. Lets say the whole alpha thing didn't exist and The Fun Pimps worked on the game from 0-100% and then dropped the gold game. How much easier would it have made to work on the game, and also, how much time do you think it would have saved you? In hind sight, would you change that now, or do you still think using a playable alpha is helpful. 

That being said, there must also be some advantages to having a playable alpha out since you can get feedback from us, even though some of us can be whiny at times lolol.

Thanks guys.  

The game would most definitely not be what it is today. They upped their game and decided to shoot for the stars thanks to the incredible response the game has received on Steam all these years. If they had done their game purely on the kickstarter funds then I'm thinking the game would definitely have been finished a whole lot faster and would've been a whole lot less than it is. Most likely the same alpha 14 released to console would have been the final PC version as well. They even had bandits ready to add at that time. They could have easily gone the fast and easy way rather than what they did.

I'm willing to bet they will use early access for their next game as well if that is any kind of a sign as to how they feel about the benefits of the EA model. Their next game will already be years ahead of where 7 Days was when it went to Early Access since they are starting with all original art and assets from the get go. This first venture has been a huge learning experience. It will be very interesting to see where they go next once this game is finished.

15 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

The most experimental thing about A21 is the definition of 'Soon' 😝

They had that definition fully developed last week but then decided to overhaul it....again!

On 3/16/2023 at 6:49 AM, spud42 said:

the Hardy hole is too far from the edge.  it doesnt seem like it goes all the way through.... 

from the image it looks solid so good luck putting anything through that, my anvil has it all the way on the end. 

unless your using it to stamp something then its just less Metal to pound on. then again my set up is a Hobos workshop. 
AND if i was going to be REALLY picky, i would have the bellow facing forward. and add the crucible and Drench on the right. I don't need to run around it back and forth. 

At least they didn't uses concrete for the forge.... like i did

8 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Don't know exactly when but we are definitely getting closer to A21 experimental.  On the level design side, the majority of legacy POIs have had the major art pass with all of the latest new assets and shapes.  There will definitely be additional smaller passes but many of those shouldn't hold up the release in my opinion.  Hopefully there will be some type of announcement soon TM.

I know the wait has been painful but rest assured that every passing day is another day the game gets even better.  For example, I know bandits are not dropping with A21, but the character art team has been making major progress on them.  The naked cowboy that was teased a while ago was just the tip of the iceberg.  It's exciting thinking about what new gameplay will be added once we get those.  Some of the updated POIs that are included in A21 will already have some bandit "considerations" in their updates.  Keep an eye out for them. 😎

Thanks for the update @Laz Man, it is really appreciated.

Would you be able to do all of us a small favour and give a comparison screenshot of before and after of the update of POI's.

I know it's asking a lot but maybe like the Salon/booby trap/ a small shotgun messiah.

If not I understand 😉, thanks for all your and the teams hard work. 👍👍

On 3/17/2023 at 5:32 AM, Crater Creator said:

I don’t think it’ll hurt anything to confirm that the new forge has dimensions of 2x2x1. The devs are well aware of how this means layout changes to rooms with forges, since the level designers will be adjusting POIs that have forges to work with the new size.

Yes, it is currently 2 2 1 and I don't know which way it extends.

FrnM0YqXwAA6XCN?format=jpg&name=large

Lots of the new assets on show here. I see two of the new vehicle props, new sandbags, concrete barriers, barb wire and spotlights right off the bat.

Also, if one of the devs could answer. How are the tents being done? A single asset or voxel based but with a new texture?