Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

10 hours ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

You are already the third person who tells me that animals can only be seen in the next game from the studio. But you have to understand that I would like to see them in this particular game. Because this is my favorite game and I really love the zombie theme. I don't know if you've played games like conan exiles and fallout 3, new vegas. In the game conan exiles, pets do not bring and discomfort and also work well with a large number of mobs. In the games fallout 3 and fallout new vegas, the pet also runs after you and I think it would not be too critical for him to teleport to you if he could get to you. This is not a game about parkour like dying light. You won't be constantly jumping on roofs and climbing rope. For the most part in this game you are on the ground. Therefore, I will pray to the developers and believe in the dream that they will be able to add time wolves or dogs

Repeating the request will not change the fact that they aren't going to add them to this game.  They have made that clear.  Maybe they'd consider it as a DLC, though I really doubt it.  But it definitely won't happen in the base game and asking many times over the past week isn't going to change that.  As far as saying this isn't a game where you're jumping a lot... are you playing the game beyond tier 1 or 2 POI?  Many higher tier POI have a LOT of jumping and players are regularly going places they cannot be followed.  They aren't designed for parkour requirements as they need to be playable without parkour, but they still have jumps that nothing other than a player can make.  That means a complete rework of pathing to make it possible to follow you, which they aren't going to do.  Flying "pets" are the only option for this game.  Maybe in a DLC, but more likely not until their next game (if then).

3 minutes ago, Survager said:

Dogs, wolves, mountain lions and bears can now climb ladders in the game lol

And, as I mentioned, that's dumb.  Sometimes the animals figure it out and sometimes they don't, but it's there just so you aren't avoiding danger.  The main issue isn't ladders anyhow.  That was just a side note I mentioned.  The main issue is the way the player can jump large distances and having a walking pet that can follow would be a challenge to implement and would look ridiculous.  No animal or zombie can follow where the player can go, so it isn't just a matter of copying some current in-game creature's pathing ability.

7 hours ago, Laz Man said:

A feature like this is probably best used in "dungeon" levels that are procedurally generated and have a theme that is believable (e.g. sewers, cave, etc.).

Oh my goodness.

Love procedural generation. That's what I like about 7DTD map gen: every map is different.

I'm trying not to drool about procedurally generated POI locations within a generated map...

"Tease us, master. Pleeze..."

8 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Random loot rooms have been mentioned several times before for one reason or another. (e.g. replayability, keep player's from memorizing where the final loot room is, etc.).  Something like that is a huge design change that is most likely too much scope creep for gold, and better for consideration in a future game tile.  Lots of questions / issues come to mind.

For example, how many locations within a POI could be possible random loot rooms (e.g. at least 3?)  How much time / effort should it take for the player to reach each loot room? (this is important from a balancing standpoint).  Do you do this with all POIs or just certain tiers?  A feature like this is probably best used in "dungeon" levels that are procedurally generated and have a theme that is believable (e.g. sewers, cave, etc.).

There is a middle ground, though it isn't perfect. For example, if you put Crates into Parts, then use the Part's probabilities, you can randomize the location of the Crates. If you want there to be 3 Crates in the POI, but want to have 5 possible locations, then place 5 Crate Parts and set each to 3/5=0.6 or 60%. This means being willing to scatter the Crate loot around the POI instead of being part of one big pile. For those unfamiliar with Parts, this is doable today.

However, today, each Part has its own independent chance of appearing, meaning it is possible you get anywhere from 0 to 5 Crates, with the odds generally being you get 2-4 of them.

You can use this approach with piles of ammo, medications, and food. You can extend this to weapons bags and gun safes, etc. Where it becomes awkward is when the designer wants to make a single big pile of loot and move it all around as a group. While that is also possible with Parts, the amount of space requires all the planning Lazman mentions, plus no designer is going to want to risk there being 0 end loot as Players would be understandably upset with that outcome.

If TFP designers are not okay with the odds, it might be possible to improve the Parts feature. It could become possible to say "Pick any 3 from this Group, or all of them if there are 3 or less in the Group." It is similar to a Parts feature where RWG picks between Parts of the same name. This only gets you so far, however, as Parts appear to only get resolved during RWG, rather than each time a POI is reset for a Quest. That could be enough of a feature gap to make the change unappealing to a development schedule.

24 minutes ago, NekoPawtato said:

They're not supposed to be able to though, there's an open bug report for that.

why do you seriously think that.... i have in real life seen our own german shephard dog climb a step ladder.
but i snatched these from youtube.. they arent fake

Spoiler

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

14 hours ago, meganoth said:

Его легко реализовать базовым способом. Сложнее, когда вы применяете более высокие стандарты, например, как часто происходит телепортация, насколько хорошо она следует за вами, а не стоит на вашем пути, и не атакует зомби, которых вы пока не хотите атаковать....

Также разработчики должны будут предоставить средства для отлова и приручения животных и способы их использования, которые будут сбалансированы для игры. И это также можно сделать относительно быстро, если стандарты и качество, которых вы хотите достичь, низкие, и требует гораздо больше усилий, если вы хотите сделать это высококачественной функцией.

Я бы предположил, что они больше не будут рассматривать это для текущего 7D2D, поскольку они пытаются выпустить игру как можно быстрее, чтобы завершить функции, которые они абсолютно хотят. Я бы также предположил, что это одна из функций в их списке возможных функций для 7D2D 2.

Hello, thank you for your reply. Please tell me, is 7D2D 2 the 2nd part of the content that will be added after the release of the main game? That is, the same game? Or did you mean the new part 2 of the 7D2D game? It's just that I'm unlikely to live to see the release of the 2nd part)))) Anyway, I would really like to see this wonderful pet system in this part. And as for domestication, I have an idea that tame wolves or dogs do not need to be tamed in some complicated way, but simply make them very rare. and add a perk to the pumping system, for example, "animal friend", when interacting with him, a chat window would open, and you would use this perk, and the animal would listen to you. At the same time, you would really have to worry about his safety and think about when to take him with you and when to leave him at the base, which would add even more interest to the game. Many people write to me that they probably won't be added, but please understand me correctly, I can't just give up and will ask to add four-legged friends to the game until the last. And maybe my prayers will be answered. P.S Of the rare ones, I meant rare animals that can be trained and will serve the player, and not ordinary wild wolves or coyotes

Edited by Dimasic-Colbasic (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

Hello, thank you for your reply. Please tell me, is 7D2D 2 the 2nd part of the content that will be added after the release of the main game? That is, the same game? Or did you mean the new part 2 of the 7D2D game? It's just that I'm unlikely to live to see the release of the 2nd part))))

I meant a new 7D2D game they will release shortly after they see your obituary in the newspapers 😁. I got the impression that TFP does not want to make DLCs.

Anyway, I would really like to see this wonderful pet system in this part.

And I want health, world peace and to own a 100m yacht. I see disappointment in both our futures. 😉

And as for domestication, I have an idea that tame wolves or dogs do not need to be tamed in some complicated way, but simply make them very rare. and add a perk to the pumping system, for example, "animal friend", when interacting with him, a chat window would open, and you would use this perk, and the animal would listen to you. At the same time, you would really have to worry about his safety and think about when to take him with you and when to leave him at the base, which would add even more interest to the game. Many people write to me that they probably won't be added, but please understand me correctly, I can't just give up and will ask to add four-legged friends to the game until the last. 

And you have to understand that everyone here on the forum wants something added to the game. I want legendary weapons (at least that is a feature they have already worked on, I may get lucky), others want a behemoth, ziplines, learn-by-doing, fishing, boats, more cars, more weapons, more workstations, more enemies, more enemies at the same time, NPCs to hire, NPCs settlements to care for, more realism, more survival, less survival, chicken coops,  .... And so on and on

Now imagine everyone of those hundreds of people would post their wish daily. The forum would be unusable. That is why there is even a forum rule against doing it ( forum rule C4 in https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/5-official-forum-rules-and-guidelines/ )

And maybe my prayers will be answered. P.S Of the rare ones, I meant rare animals that can be trained and will serve the player, and not ordinary wild wolves or coyotes

I'm not saying your idea is bad. But "that can be trained" is exactly what I was talking about when I said it doesn't suffice to just drop them into the game without having lots of ways to interact with them. Pet animals that you can actually do something with would need a lot of work.

There are hundreds of good ideas how 7D2D could be developed further. But you yourself recognized that the developers time is limited if they ever want to present you with a finished 7D2D.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 2/7/2023 at 7:37 AM, meganoth said:

That knowledge may soon be a relict of the past. We know they had to doctor on the parts mechanism. Whether they only increased the drop chances for parts or did more? Who knows?

This is something I am curious about also (in regards to parts to build higher tier equipment).  Since I removed the ability to repair equipment, crafting new equipment became a must.  Parts availability became a key choke point (and it ended up being  too much that I added the ability to craft new ones, but made the recipe expensive and they are time consuming to do).

Even if they don't do anything in this regard, I think it can be easily added to the game via a mod once the new crafting by learning system is implemented.  You could probably even add the ability to reduce parts costs in recipes as you rank higher up in the crafting skill, it is something that can be done today in A20 perk system (for example, advanced engineering already does it and I am on the fence adding it to my mod - not sure how long I would get to play with it if A21 drops sooner than later).

10 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

why do you seriously think that.... i have in real life seen our own german shephard dog climb a step ladder.

Reveal hidden contents

There is a different between step ladder and vertical ladders that we have in the game, though.  A step ladder isn't much different from stairs, though usually a a bit steeper.  I did mention that dogs have been trained to climb even a vertical ladder, but that isn't the norm and isn't something they do quickly in order to keep up with you and isn't something that I think should be in the game. 😀

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

i dont want to see animals in game using ladders as if it was a person... but... i still want to see that very small (small) chance that it can because it is another hazard that we must keep an eye on in the game. we should not be 100% safe as the dangers are from zombies, some animals, weather and other natural in game reasons. (out of game hazards can be from parents, spouses and or kids etc...) :)

essentially i dont want to see it totally removed from game (but usually things always go against what i want). :(

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

On 2/11/2023 at 6:43 PM, gunner1912 said:

@faatal do you think this new crafting change will not just change the standard method of progressing from grind xp for crafting to grind quest bc why not when i can get t6 loot in a week doing quests vs lootings for 3 weeks for a t4 lower tech lv item? or is the quest system going to be reworked to balance this new system as well?

Spamming quests won’t necessarily get you the magazines you really want because they might not take you to the type of POIs that match in theme. 

43 minutes ago, Roland said:

Spamming quests won’t necessarily get you the magazines you really want because they might not take you to the type of POIs that match in theme. 

In my experience, T1 quests often have gas stations in the list, and T2 and T3 often have Crack a Book and Working Stiff POIs. This is something that is often criticized about quests. We get the same POIs offered as quests over and over again.

23 hours ago, meganoth said:

I don't think so. Just go into a random POI without taking a quest for it und you will find a loot room just like if you had taken a quest.

That's why we always clear a building first and then activate the corresponding quest. Twice the loot.🖖

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

Я имел в виду новую игру 7D2D, которую они выпустят вскоре после того, как увидят ваш некролог в газетах 😁. У меня сложилось впечатление, что TFP не хочет создавать DLC.

И я хочу здоровья, мира во всем мире и иметь 100-метровую яхту. Я вижу разочарование в нашем будущем. 😉

И вы должны понимать, что все здесь, на форуме, хотят что-то добавить в игру. Я хочу легендарное оружие (по крайней мере, над этой функцией они уже работали, возможно, мне повезет), другие хотят бегемота, зиплайны, обучение на практике, рыбалку, лодки, больше машин, больше оружия, больше рабочих станций, больше врагов, больше врагов одновременно, NPCдля найма, поселения NPC для ухода, больше реализма, больше выживания, меньше выживания, курятники, .... И так далее и тому подобное

Теперь представьте, что каждый из этих сотен людей ежедневно публикует свое желание. Форум будет непригоден для использования. Вот почему даже есть правило форума против этого ( правило форума C4 в https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/5-official-forum-rules-and-guidelines / )

Я не говорю, что ваша идея плоха. Но "это можно обучить" - это именно то, о чем я говорил, когда сказал, что недостаточно просто ввести их в игру, не имея множества способов взаимодействия с ними. Домашние животные, с которыми вы действительно можете что-то сделать, потребуют много работы.

Есть сотни хороших идей о том, как можно развивать 7D2D дальше. Но вы сами признали, что время разработчиков ограничено, если они когда-нибудь захотят представить вам готовый 7D2D.

I understand that most things may not be added, but maybe if the release is incredibly successful at the AAA game level, then there may be a chance that they will add even more than they promised from the very beginning. And if I'm not mistaken, it was said that a small part of the staff will remain and continue to update the game after the release. Maybe there is a chance that pets and what you have listed will be added after the release? If I'm not mistaken, from the roadmap plans in Alpha 22, it remains to add only the plot and bandits? That in fact, after alpha 21, we will not wait long for the release)) In any case, I believe in miracles and I will pray that you list everything and that we want to be able to get into this wonderful game. I've played a lot of games, but this game is too special for me, I just love it and will hope for a miracle. Then I will ask for pets less often, but still once a week I will ask developers to pay attention to the place of their fans)) Thank you for your answer. P.S I apologize if there are mistakes and incomprehensible sentences in my words, I just don't live in an English-speaking country

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

In my experience, T1 quests often have gas stations in the list, and T2 and T3 often have Crack a Book and Working Stiff POIs. This is something that is often criticized about quests. We get the same POIs offered as quests over and over again.

Exactly this. On my last playthrough, I got sent to the EXACT same gas station 6 times in Tier 1.

Are there any changes in the list of A21 confirmed updates that you can port  back to A20?

Something I always enjoyed about this game is smaller, but more frequent updates :)

In any case, thanks for the work you do, and I’m looking forward to enjoying another alpha.

18 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was mainly referring to the thread where someone pointed out there is a flag "CanClimbLadders" where even though it was set to false for animals, it was being ignored. Perhaps I should have provided more context. I could be wrong though and maybe this is actually a deprecated/unused field and not really a bug then?

7 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

i dont want to see animals in game using ladders as if it was a person... but... i still want to see that very small (small) chance that it can because it is another hazard that we must keep an eye on in the game. we should not be 100% safe as the dangers are from zombies, some animals, weather and other natural in game reasons. (out of game hazards can be from parents, spouses and or kids etc...) :)

essentially i dont want to see it totally removed from game (but usually things always go against what i want). :(

Maybe a new type of animal that is aggressive and naturally does climb (scorpion for desert biome comes to mind)?

Or have certain "zombified" animal variations be allowed to climb? Then it wouldn't have to be restricted to just ladders. Ex: a mountain lion becoming a zombie grants them super strong grip strength to climb up sheer walls (they can already climb up trees irl)

Some climbing animation would be nice too so it wouldn't look so weird o.O

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, NekoPawtato said:

Or have only "zombified" animal variations be allowed to climb? Then it wouldn't have to be restricted to just ladders.

We already have zombie bears.  Allowing them to intentionally climb so you can't escape them adds another degree of difficulty.