Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, bdubyah said:

I mean, if you're building/upgrading with steel you should probably be sure of what you are building. Lol.

Sometimes we put the cart before the horse....and there's a real reason why that's not a good idea. 

Must admit that I've defiled many a pickaxe to take out some poorly placed concrete block though. Best just to start with wood, at most cobblestone, then upgrade accordingly. Takes longer, but the added XP for upgrading in A20 is sweet. And if the block placement is not what you really want, the change isn't too painful. 

Now, I can see maybe punching a hole in a steel block wall to insert a rolling door. Can drop a few blocks rather than have to bash them. But when at the building stage of steel, I agree....best know where the building plans are. Or the best explosives for the job. 

Take away the upgrade XP in A21, you'll still have learn by doing. Learn that doing goofy things will cost you, just as it does today.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I think they should add an option for the drone where you put in its storage things you want to sell, and then you can tell him to go and sell them to the trader.

He will disappear for a while, and then come back with your money.

This same game mechanics has been already used in the past in other games. It's not a new idea, but I think it could give players additional motivation to use the drone when they go adventuring. :)

Yes but other hand - in this games like torchlight - prices are fixed here - prices depends on you skills so it would requier to "connected" this with perks system. Ofc this can be done but it would take some time

11 hours ago, Melange said:

That is logical. Bandit brandishes those items in a confrontation, then it makes sense for that to be dropped loot. The quality of the loot would still be influenced by rng and our gamestage though. I mean. if the bandit can be taken out with a primitive bow using stone arrows, don't expect steel armor and a level 5 SMG in the loot bag.

Sounds good to me. The gear of the bandit would be tailored to the game stage. So you won't see bandits walking around with steel armor and level five weapons. 

Maybe slightly hire stage for bosses though. 

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I think they should add an option for the drone where you put in its storage things you want to sell, and then you can tell him to go and sell them to the trader.

He will disappear for a while, and then come back with your money.

I like the idea of sending a drone for a beer to meet the horde with a baseball bat 😅

6 hours ago, bdubyah said:

I mean, if you're building/upgrading with steel you should probably be sure of what you are building. Lol.

That is why I continue to use the block upgrade system instead of creating and placing ready-made concrete/steel blocks.
From the A20 exit, I have already missed many times and put the block in the wrong place.

1 hour ago, the_envenom said:

I hope the devs/team are just joking and all the things they said that might not get in this alpha (bandits) does, if they are joking, be perfect to surprise everyone and might make it go gold!  🤐

Chances about bandits in A21 are... pretty low😔

10 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Yes but other hand - in this games like torchlight - prices are fixed here - prices depends on you skills so it would requier to "connected" this with perks system. Ofc this can be done but it would take some time

I don't think it would be difficult.  They know the price already.  It would work just like being at the trader except that you'd have to wait to get the money and for your drone to return.  No significant change other than making the drone go there and back.

However, I'm not sure it would be a good addition other than as a mod.  In Torchlight, you could always teleport, so it was just a way to save a little time at the cost of not having your pet for a short time.  Here, adding that completely removes any reason to use the cargo mods on your drone as you can just fill it up, send it off, and fill your inventory until it gets back and repeat.  It would allow you to loot door to door practically non-stop without ever going back to sell and would remove the choice of what to keep our not if you are full.  In this game, I think that would just be too easy.

29 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Chances about bandits in A21 are... pretty low😔

Let`s avoid speculation about that one, I mean, the bandits could have The Pimps as hostages, till ziplines are implemented ;) 

..which explains the lack of communication between devs and us, recently..

*scratching my beard*

26 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

@faatal How about adding seasonal stuff as in we are in fall how about adding fall foliage as a optional patch?

obviously not for this alpha.

I think it would be sort of cool to see trees change color in game and I am sure there is a unity asset to do this.

not a bad idea as we get closer to gold. as for other voxel games such as MC, this is already done with a texture replacer set to the timestamp of the comp as the game loads in. just swaps the mods automatically as it goes. we used to do this for santa hats and candy cane shivs.. jack o lantern lanterns, witch wand daggers should be just as easy. turkey drumstick clubs

37 minutes ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

it looks like a few days have already passed. Has anyone guessed right?:)

Yes!  The picture of the three feet represents “options” and of course it’s all on a menu. The boy depicted is “chunk” and the symbol on him is “reset”. At the time I did the clue, 15 days was the planned default time for MP but that might change. For SP the default will be off.  A placed bedroll or LCB will prevent the reset and you can choose from several preset time frames that you wish. The timer counts down from the last time a player entered that chunk. Probably not the most exciting feature people have been looking for but  still pretty cool and nice for server admins. 

I am a longtime player who even now spends way to much time playing this game. As good as it is now I would like bandits sooner rather than later. I don't care if they are not ready for prime time, buggy, glitchy, OP. Getting bandits that are OP bringing a genuine fear of facing them would be rather nice. In one of the previous alphas on the 3rd party server with many mods the admins add/enabled a crude form of bandits. These bandits were OP, Sniper bandit would kill you with one shot. Auger carrying bandit would chase you under ground as would the other gun carrying bandits. They only roamed the waste land and it was terrifying. When going though the waste land you had to move slowly constantly checking in all directions. Never since before or after this alpha with 3rd party bandit add-ons I had a genuine fear playing this game.  I haven't played vanilla 7DTD since 2016. Community mod servers is where this game shines. 

Other than bandits I would like to see this game get optimized for 100 plus players per server with RWG of up to 30K. There are 3rd party servers that allow more than 50 players which run pretty good IMO. some of the old alphas would allow for up to 30k RWG. I will play this game to my death no matter the devs do. Since I have almost 6000 hours in this game already I am likely a lifer who will be playing this game well after the Fun Pimps are done releasing updates having moved on to other games. 

40 minutes ago, Roland said:

Yes!  The picture of the three feet represents “options” and of course it’s all on a menu. The boy depicted is “chunk” and the symbol on him is “reset”. At the time I did the clue, 15 days was the planned default time for MP but that might change. For SP the default will be off.  A placed bedroll or LCB will prevent the reset and you can choose from several preset time frames that you wish. The timer counts down from the last time a player entered that chunk. Probably not the most exciting feature people have been looking for but  still pretty cool and nice for server admins. 

Do I understand correctly that you can enable this function in SP, and it will work almost like a loot update function, but for chunks? Does this mean that the updated chunks will be unloaded from the system memory and will be generated anew (trees, nests, stones, etc., except POI) when the player comes there, facilitating the computer's work?

On 10/29/2022 at 1:21 AM, meganoth said:

Did you have the RoboticDroneHeadlampMod installed and on? (Just making sure 🤔)

no sir. only mod i ever used on the drone was a cargo mod. as soon as i put thr drone away i could stand outside a door and whilst crouched i could shoot a line of 4 zombies with the crossbow and NONE woke up. even when the shot zombie flew over the head of a sleeper. before i put the drone away walking to the door and all 4 would have woken up and attacked.

1 hour ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Do I understand correctly that you can enable this function in SP, and it will work almost like a loot update function, but for chunks? Does this mean that the updated chunks will be unloaded from the system memory and will be generated anew (trees, nests, stones, etc., except POI) when the player comes there, facilitating the computer's work?

I think it just returns to its pregenerated state. I started a mine before I knew and went back to my base to get some coffee. When I returned everything I had dug and placed was gone and the original iron node I had started from was there again. So I don’t think it rolls an entirely newly randomized chunk as much as it reverts it back to the way it was when it originally generated—but others would know more. It’s not just terrain though. A city not visited for the timer length will completely reset. It’s an option so it can be disabled if you want your scavenged cities to remain emptied or your excavated mountain to remain a crater or if you’re glad all those cars you wrenched are gone for good. 

But all you quest poi double dippers are about to get the mother lode…lol. 

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

On 10/11/2022 at 3:35 AM, faatal said:

Thanks for the info. I looked at that today and in testing, it both looked worse and had lower FPS than just switching to a lower resolution. FSR 2 is probably much better, but it appears a lot more complicated to integrate.

I tried FSR 1.0 by using Magpie – it's actually looks better than halfing res (but still clearly worse than native resolution) and gives simmilar FPS boost to halfing resolution (well, it's literally halfing in-game resolution and then using Magpie to upscale with FSR). It's muchly depends on the videocard. As far as I know, the GTX 10xx and higher is required for FSR be useful. I have GTX 1080 (and 4k screen). Integrated FSR would be nuch nicer (since it wouldn't downscale HUD and I could set custom rendering downscale % instead of limited number of resolutions that game gives)

Edited by Титан (see edit history)

yeah is SP, I will have to turn of chunk reset. I dont want my mining operations messed with. plus it would negate part of the reason to go explore. I can understand on MP servers tho, they need resources reset else they can run out on the larger longer lasting servers. but in SP, if I have resourced out the world, time for a new map

46 minutes ago, EvilTactics said:

Will this update bring a server wipe? will we loose all progress that has been made?

With any major update, TFP recommend a complete restart of games and user-generated worlds. Saves will almost certainly not be compatible due to the amount of code change. Players try it all the time and in most cases run into issues. I would plan on a fresh start.