Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 7/29/2022 at 9:12 AM, Roland said:

It was discovered that glue made from murky water was not as adhesive as glue from pure water. We wanted you to have the stickiest glue possible so that your duct tape would never fail you. Thus, the recipe was changed to pure water. In A21 you won’t have to boil it all. You will have a few dew collectors producing lots of pure water per day. If you use that for the glue and boil the water you drink then double boiling should never be an issue you have to deal with. 

(The goal is only semi-realistic survival)

So a dew collector placed in the wasteland biome still produces pure water? Maybe it's really only kinda-semi-realistic survival. 😛

53 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

So a dew collector placed in the wasteland biome still produces pure water? Maybe it's really only kinda-semi-realistic survival. 😛

No different than scooping up and boiling 100's of jars of murky water from a wasteland river or lake. What's your point exactly?

13 hours ago, Roland said:

I was talking about boats. Rafts are totally different. 

Im not sure about the status and future of the raft. 

I like the idea of a boat or a raft however the map seems sort of small to need one. Adding more water to make is worthwhile to have a raft would just make the game world “smaller”

Cool idea but it simply doesn’t seem to be needed, plus god knows what would need to be done to making it so you float out a few blocks and totally avoid the whole purpose of the game, the horde.

2 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

No different than scooping up and boiling 100's of jars of murky water from a wasteland river or lake. What's your point exactly?

Because you aren't boiling it, so it's collecting dew that is automatically pure, which just seemed odd to me. Also can't turn down a chance to take even a slight jab at Roland. Lol. Just poking fun, is all. :)

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I like the idea of a boat or a raft however the map seems sort of small to need one. Adding more water to make is worthwhile to have a raft would just make the game world “smaller”

Cool idea but it simply doesn’t seem to be needed, plus god knows what would need to be done to making it so you float out a few blocks and totally avoid the whole purpose of the game, the horde.

Easy. If the player(s) are all standing on/driving a boat the game spawns the crazy anti vehicle vultures the same as it currently does if you try to use a vehicle on horde night. If you can survive that then you've earned it. Lol.

@faatal I have a few questions that you might be able to answer:

1. Can you "Dry" the new water by placing a block in its former place?, in other words, can you make a water-tight base at the bottom of a lake or below the ocean by drying it up from the shore?

2. Does water "deform" when using a bucket to scoop it from a tiny shallow surface like it does now?

3. Are cascades possible with the new water?

4. Does the new water "flow" in a seamless way to fill a space, or is it almost instantaneous? 

5. I guess you are still in the melee side of npc combat, yet I'm wondering what are your plans with bandits with firearms? Meaning how accurate will they be?

6. Will each bandit type have a different AI variation from the basic one (like snipers being sneaky and passive, or melee ones being brutal and brave, or ones with ak being more tactical, etc)

7. What are your plans for "healing" bandits in a battle? Meaning will they carry healing items or will they have one specialized in healing the others in bigger teams?

8. What will bandits drop on death? Special loot bags? 

9. Will we be able to "undress" the bandits after killing them or will they always have their outfits on in sickness and in health?

Thank you very much beforearm.

10 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Do any Dev's or QA testers playtest on Insane/Nightmare/FeralSense?

If so, how does it feel in A21 with the water changes? Is permadeath possible?

I love Feral Sense and play with it on all the time. IMO, day time feral sense should be the default setting for vanilla. The world feels more alive with zombies coming out of every nook and cranny of a town.
For me and my play style, the water survival challenge lasts 3-4 days and then starts to become "normal" again. I use Vending Machines and Traders a lot more.
Perma-death has been discussed for a long time. I "think" it's on a to do list somewhere. Will have to wait and see though.

8 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal I have a few questions that you might be able to answer:

*snip* water and bandit questions *snip*

1.Yes

2.Yes

3.No

4.Flows, but it's pretty fast

5.Random

6.Sort of, but not that high level

7.No plans that I know of

8.Yes

9.No

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Question for @Kinyajuu: will you be able (and is it planned) to introduce bridges over "rivers" in the new RWG?

These were in for a short while, but were buggy with the rotations and how they fit together with the rest of the world gen.
Brad and Robert are cooking up some nice changes for A21 RWG that they will more than likely showcase in a dev stream. Stay tuned for that.

21 hours ago, bdubyah said:

Has anyone *ever* claimed that this game wasn't just "kinda-semi-realistic"??  I mean...  [points at zombies].

A modest request for A21:

Can the cm or dm console command be enhanced to permit the user to freely toggle or edit light blocks?

There's currently a helpful mod that alters one or two lines of code in the BlockLight .dll to enable this.  It would be extremely helpful having it as feature going forward.  Here's the code in question:

528903503_11.thumb.jpg.383d4d0d819c3ce802048cc26f5b4495.jpg.65292b78354ca4a38393432d850ac580.jpg

511148726_12.thumb.jpg.73485eda2cb57d5d068bccf3c094a686.jpg.34aee3cc2b3c0ddb399e4d74ced9555c.jpg

With every alpha or hotfix release, the mod breaks as the code changes.  The ability to edit lights during gameplay is helpful for creative base building activities, with placing functional lights in custom POIs that don't require power sources.  Thus having it be a vanilla feature would be super useful.

Thanks for all you do, devs. 

Edited by Falcon197 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

I love Feral Sense and play with it on all the time. IMO, day time feral sense should be the default setting for vanilla. The world feels more alive with zombies coming out of every nook and cranny of a town.
For me and my play style, the water survival challenge lasts 3-4 days and then starts to become "normal" again. I use Vending Machines and Traders a lot more.
Perma-death has been discussed for a long time. I "think" it's on a to do list somewhere. Will have to wait and see though.

1.Yes

2.Yes

3.No

4.Flows, but it's pretty fast

5.Random

6.Sort of, but not that high level

7.No plans that I know of

8.Yes

9.No

These were in for a short while, but were buggy with the rotations and how they fit together with the rest of the world gen.
Brad and Robert are cooking up some nice changes for A21 RWG that they will more than likely showcase in a dev stream. Stay tuned for that.

Regarding that last piece about a assumably future dev stream.

Please, please, please begin them on time. Irritating for me and appears sloppy on your end if streams begin late. 
If the stream is advertised to begin 8PM Eastern, the stream should begin at 8PM Eastern. Take them seriously and take your players time seriously.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Regarding that last piece about a assumably future dev stream.

Please, please, please begin them on time. Irritating for me and appears sloppy on your end if streams begin late. 
If the stream is advertised to begin 8PM Eastern, the stream should begin at 8PM Eastern. Take them seriously and take your players time seriously.

The stream goes live on time. The loading screen plays for several minutes to allow viewers/followers to get notified that the stream has gone live and/or plenty of time to join. This also helps keep us from having to repeat things while viewers are joining.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, Roland said:
  • Additional Advanced World Generation Options
    • Biome Percent Sliders

hmm, this could be removed now from A21-list (found it right now in my A20.6-exp) 🤗

Thank you guys (was it intended? doesn't matter, I like it) 👍

1 hour ago, schwanz9000 said:

The stream goes live on time. The loading screen plays for several minutes to allow viewers/followers to get notified that the stream has gone live and/or plenty of time to join. This also helps keep us from having to repeat things while viewers are joining.

Mmmmm sort of don’t remember it happening that way for A20……

I may be confusing lathams streams, I know his consistently started late. Irritated the crap out of me.