This game BADLY needs Steam Workshop integration

geengaween

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Skyrim is worst example ever. yeah there is few good mods like "immersive weapons/monsters/npc etc" but most of them : funny meme haha XD LOL WTF  or @SnowDog1942 every sex stuff he want srly btw skyrim have workshop.            

Just as an example.

The top rated mod on Steam Workshop, Quality Map, was released on Nexus before it even came to SW.  A lot of high quality mods that I see on SW were first available back on Nexus when I started playing the game.

As someone who heavily modded Skyrim and Fallout 4, it wasn't SW that made both of those games have HQ mods, it was the mod creators.  However, you are missing a key fact in that both of those games are fully released today while 7D2D is in Early Access.

Fallout 4 has some great mods out there, like Sim Settlements, various mods that introduced new weapons, changes to weather, textures, etc...The list goes on and on.  Funny thing is, I don't see FO4 in the Steam Workshop........

1 minute ago, BFT2020 said:

Fallout 4 has some great mods out there, like Sim Settlements, various mods that introduced new weapons, changes to weather, textures, etc...The list goes on and on.  Funny thing is, I don't see FO4 in the Steam Workshop........

I just realized that they released a sequel to Sim Settlements for FO4.  Looks like I am going to be reinstalling FO4 this holiday weekend  😉

17 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Just as an example.

The top rated mod on Steam Workshop, Quality Map, was released on Nexus before it even came to SW.  A lot of high quality mods that I see on SW were first available back on Nexus when I started playing the game.

As someone who heavily modded Skyrim and Fallout 4, it wasn't SW that made both of those games have HQ mods, it was the mod creators.  However, you are missing a key fact in that both of those games are fully released today while 7D2D is in Early Access.

Btw FO4 doesn't have steam worhshop because bethesda wanted to implement paid mods ( this is not joke).  Btw -  nexus is "main" page for skyrim mods.  Before workshops mods to l4d2 were on a lot of pages. 

Mods here to 7dtd doesn't have categories.  Nexus have so if 99% 7dtd mods were putted on this page i woudn't complain 

I will give nexus as example what i mean -Triss Merigold - Custom Voiced Follower  skyrim mod is in  

category.

immersive armors have a lot of tags ( this category too right?). 

So if i want for example lore friendly mod and armors i can use filters and i will  get only this. 

Gmod workshop for example have :

Build (14,422)
Cartoon (15,615)
Comic (8,869)
Fun (91,078)
Movie (9,710)
Roleplay (107,178)
Scenic (18,301)
Realism (64,660)
Water (2,316)
DUPE TAGS

so i can find easier what i want. 7DTD have few pages with mods + forum

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

It is needed. Not badly, not a must, but it is a huge QoL improvement.

It is true that people just need to learn this and that and they need no steam workshop. But the truth is, that there are people that struggle with steam workshop and that´s by far the easiest method to mod a game.

So yeah, make it as easily to mod as possible and you will reach more people. There is people who don´t buy games if they can´t mod them trough the workshop.

No need to do it before it´s done tough. Making this work in alpha would be a mistake imo.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

On 9/4/2021 at 8:53 PM, Matt115 said:

7DTD have few pages with mods + forum

True, but there’s this http://7daystodiemods.com (has categorization and search)  which captures a lot of mods that are in these forums, one drive, GitHub, gitlab. But not nexus.  And it doesn’t catch *all* the mods on these forums (I believe) only those posted in the “”Mods” forum that host the mod on the previously listed sites.  

Edit: I’m not a fan of nexusmods “amount of work to put a mod there” but I am holding my breath for Steam workshop. Personally, I just want to be able to have mods “click and load” as well as be able to have them indicate if they are dependent or incompatibility with other mods (not sure how well Steam does with this. I figure it’s up to the mod author to make a manifest or something). Oh yeah, and to be able to easily “download a newer version” of the mods I already have installed. Currently I have to manually find them all.

yes, there’s the unofficial mod launcher and I recently heard it might work on Ubuntu but so far I have been just adding loss by hand. I don’t mind too much, but the easier it is to mod (and know when mods have issues with other mods) the less time I spend trying to put together a game with mods

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

9 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

Personally, I just want to be able to have mods “click and load” as well as be able to have them indicate if they are dependent or incompatibility with other mods (not sure how well Steam does with this. I figure it’s up to the mod author to make a manifest or something).

Steam does nothing with this.  In my experience, usually mod authors will list things there mod isn't compatible with (or what files it modifies so you can see if another mod also modifies those same files) but it's far from being an exhaustive list.  Dependencies are also up to the mod author to list, and Steam doesn't even bother to force download them, you have to subscribe to them individually and manually.

Honestly, Steam Workshop is likely to cause a headache for mod authors because more people who don't have a clue what they're doing will try to combine mods that just aren't compatible and then complain to the mod authors about it.  Now it at least requires a minimal level of computer know how to mod, and that weeds out most of the truly stupid people, but make it easy with workshop, and the morons will come out of the woodwork.

That's part of the reason things like the Alternate Mod Launcher exists for XCom 2, as it will show dependencies and incompatibilities (though things that it shows as incompatible aren't always actually incompatible.)

50 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Weird. Now it's working.

Probably a temporary connection problem on my part...

Nope. Checfk the original link (by looking at the real link as reported by your browser), it just says "7daystodiemods.com". Compare with the new link, it says "https://7daystodiemods.com". The first is not a proper link

On 9/4/2021 at 7:17 PM, KhaineGB said:

The workshop does have versioning support though. Rimworld uses it.

BUT... that would require TFP to have an XML flag in the modinfo.xml and then the modder would have to manually fill it in.

*ahem*

Skryim.

Tons of high quality mods. Not sure if they have steam workshop now, but they didn't. It was all done on nexus. Same for Oblivion, morrowind, etc.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Not many mods for that because the game is just not very moddable, but still some very good quality mods. No steam workshop support.

Minecraft. Just... minecraft.

So no. 7DTD does NOT need it. It's a "nice to have." Not a "need".

"Not sure if they have steam workshop now, but they didn't."

The original skyrim did have steam support, and some of the best mods are there, BUT, the legendary addition uses Bethderp.aids/cancer for their mods now. It's terrible and the licensing is shady. Granted this was before the microsoft buyout so maybe bethesda modding will get better? 

Now, here is the weird thing, the mod launcher we have is very nice. I like it better than vortex. If you have tons of space you can have multiple games with multiple mods, so  if you want to try war of the walkers with some mods, then do a darkness falls play, then a sorcery play, you can have three different versions. 

It's great for testing too. I have been fiddling with xml changes for zombie spawns. and found some interesting results. 

"It is easy for me to do, therefore everybody else should be able to do it"

"Struggling with this stuff develops skills which can go on your ZipRecruiter profile"

We technophiles live in a bubble. I see similar arguments coming from corporate IT development teams. Why do we need to develop X? It's easy enough for the business user to just do Y and Z to get what they need! No, it is not "easy" for many people. Computers are inscrutable boxes of devilry and witchcraft for most people and they just want them to work. The standard meme is PC Masters vs Console Heathens, but there are plenty of PC Heathens as well (a majority of PC owners, I'd wager). These are the people who call us to ask "what happened to My Internet?" or "I think my son may have installed a virus, can you check?" Or...*shudder*...they go ahead and install the McAfee shovelware that came with their Best Buy off-the-shelf "gaming" PC. Could they learn how to open a zip file and put the contents in the right place? Probably at least half of them could with patient instruction from one of us, but it should not be required of them. If we can make it easier (and therefore attract and keep them as customers), we should do so. Within reasonable cost/ROI limits of course.

With few exceptions, we're all average n00bs in many other areas. Car maintenance, home plumbing, chemistry, little men in boats, horse deworming, the list goes on. Let's not look down on the average n00bs in our own domain of expertise. Their money spends just as well as our own.

On 9/11/2021 at 2:02 AM, KhaineGB said:

You can do that by just copying your game and manually installing anyway.

Which you should ALWAYS do.

Because people just let their mods auto update and then complain when they don't work on the latest 7DTD version.

honestly not always it works- some mods need mod launcher for example - i don't trust mod lanucher because my friend one time download a mod laucher to terrair - but it was virus - well i have paranoia so i can't use them, mental blockade ( it is hard to explain how to work). So Steam workshop could help me a lot

54 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

honestly not always it works- some mods need mod launcher for example - i don't trust mod lanucher because my friend one time download a mod laucher to terrair - but it was virus - well i have paranoia so i can't use them, mental blockade ( it is hard to explain how to work). So Steam workshop could help me a lot

No mod needs the mod launcher if you aren't a potato who knows how to copy, paste and unzip files.

It's that simple.

Go learn to use a PC. Because a lot of us overhaul makers are tired of answering the same question when 7DTD updates.

"The mod updates and broke my game!"
"Did you update 7DTD?"
"No, I thought the launcher would do it."
"Well it doesn't. Stop using the launcher and then you won't have this problem."

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

No mod needs the mod launcher if you aren't a potato who knows how to copy, paste and unzip files.

It's that simple.

Go learn to use a PC. Because a lot of us overhaul makers are tired of answering the same question when 7DTD updates.

"The mod updates and broke my game!"
"Did you update 7DTD?"
"No, I thought the launcher would do it."
"Well it doesn't. Stop using the launcher and then you won't have this problem."

and another guy  will say " use game launcher because some mods can't not work without it" so i hear 2 diffrent opinions now. I know update can destroy game if mod is added - even to l4d2 well this is normal.  Just i'm saying workshop will be the best option  to avoid problem with mods - you will have everything  in one place no mod launcher needed just click to sub that's all

19 hours ago, Matt115 said:

and another guy  will say " use game launcher because some mods can't not work without it" so i hear 2 diffrent opinions now. I know update can destroy game if mod is added - even to l4d2 well this is normal.  Just i'm saying workshop will be the best option  to avoid problem with mods - you will have everything  in one place no mod launcher needed just click to sub that's all

TFP has said that Steam workshop WILL be added. After Gold. So.........rather useless topic now.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:16 PM, Roland said:

Okay...they have other priorities right now because the time isn't right for workshop support for the reasons I mentioned. The game can still be modded and those who truly want the mods can figure out how to get the mods they want and so the devs won't spend time on workshop support until after the game is done because they believe that it is good enough the way it is now. With almost eight years of people successfully creating mods and playing with mods, I'd say they are correct and that the game is doing just fine and having a good life with the current placeholder modding system until the developers are ready to do official workshop integration.

<shrug> I said "up" so you felt obligated to forcefully say "down!"

That is like saying we lived without electricity so long we can do it even longer...