don't be the first kid on the block to get Windows 11. wait a year.

ElCabong

You don't know what the problems are going to be. Microsoft doesn't know what the problems are going to be. It's a classic case of the known unknowns and the unknown unknowns. It could very well be a horrible gaming platform.

Nobody is going to support it until it comes out. You're going to have to wait for any application or game to get fixed. 

If you plan on buying a new system keep it at windows 10.

Gentoo GNU/Linux. Fastest OS around, if you know your hardware and all of the fun stuff that goes with it. Also, I find it highly amusing that Windows 10 would be the final OS, they trained us to say there would be no 11, that 10 was a rolling release forever, and now this. My gut tells me that 10 is the alpha OS (it is an alpha, WAY too buggy for beta) and 11 is the beta. By Windows 12 we should have something as good as XP or 7 again.

2 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

To be fair, it's probably going to be close to a year from now before it's even available as a primary/preloaded OS. It's not even openly available to testers yet.

Allegedly before the holidays this year. That sounds fun.

i do not like nor want to pretend to be working on a damn tablet.

but eventually ms will force all pc makers to install it and then they will block the older versions and force hardware creators to only support the new version.

after which brag about how many people are using win11.

:)

oooops was i thinking out loud again

5 hours ago, eXSe said:

spacer.png

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

When will I be able to upgrade to Windows 11 on my Windows 10 device?

If your existing Windows 10 PC is running the most current version of Windows 10 and meets the minimum hardware specifications it will be able to upgrade to Windows 11. The upgrade rollout plan is still being finalized, but for most devices already in use today, we expect it to be ready sometime in early 2022. Not all Windows 10 PCs that are eligible to upgrade to Windows 11 will be offered to upgrade at the same time. To see if your PC is eligible to upgrade, download and run the PC Health Check app. Once the upgrade rollout has started, you can check if it is ready for your device by going to Settings/Windows Updates.

I just read an article that MS minimum requirements are cpu based. Many rigs with older cpus will be flagged as not being able to run 11. I’m pasting from an article about which cpus that are supported(not sure about the forum rules on posting urls):

Windows 11 support for Intel

• Intel 8th Gen (Coffee Lake)
  • Intel 9th Gen (Coffee Lake Refresh)
  • Intel 10th Gen (Comet Lake)
  • Intel 10th Gen (Ice Lake)
  • Intel 11th Gen (Rocket Lake)
  • Intel 11th Gen (Tiger Lake)
  • Intel Xeon Skylake-SP
  • Intel Xeon Cascade Lake-SP
  • Intel Xeon Cooper Lake-SP
  • Intel Xeon Ice Lake-SP

Windows 11 support for AMD

• AMD Ryzen 2000
  • AMD Ryzen 3000
  • AMD Ryzen 4000
  • AMD Ryzen 5000
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2000
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3000
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3000
  • AMD EPYC 2nd Gen
  • AMD EPYC 3rd Gen

9 minutes ago, Star69 said:

I just read an article that MS minimum requirements are cpu based. Many rigs with older cpus will be flagged as not being able to run 11. I’m pasting from an article about which cpus that are supported(not sure about the forum rules on posting urls):

Yeah, you can get to it from the link I posted above.  They've also updated their docs.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

AMD Intel Qualcomm

I had planned on using an i7-7700 for my test platform, so I suppose that's off the table now.

So I downloaded the system checker tool. It says I can't run Win 11.

spacer.png

AFAIK most consumer systems don't ship with TPM modules installed. My motherboard has a location for it, but good luck actually finding the module to plug into it.  Everywhere I looked it's out of stock.  I seem to recall the same thing when I purchased the board last year.

My system won't do win 11, (either of them), but that's ok.

Win10 expires in '25 and that's when I retire.

I'll be going a major system upgrade (well new one) at that point.

I may try 11, or say frack it, and just have Linux, and completely dump windows altogether, except for some VM for old stuff I need.

Oh, the taskbar can ONLY go on the bottom of the screen? WTF?

sigh.

Wow, Windows 11 must really be bad if my i7-6950X is "too slow" to run it. I mean it runs Ark without a hitch, which means 11 is a heaping pile of manure, even when compared to The Island on Ark.

Also, TPM has been around for years. Not sure why it is REQUIRED with 11 (they don't tell us that at trainings) but my gut tells me they want increased security and will do anything to achieve it. This is going to be bad. Buckle up, people.

16 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

So I downloaded the system checker tool. It says I can't run Win 11.

spacer.png

AFAIK most consumer systems don't ship with TPM modules installed. My motherboard has a location for it, but good luck actually finding the module to plug into it.  Everywhere I looked it's out of stock.  I seem to recall the same thing when I purchased the board last year.

A good read on the general Win 11 topic, with some additional info on TPM. The money quote:

If you didn't get one of the few TPM modules available yesterday, don't worry—you almost certainly don't need one. OEM hardware TPM is generally considered the most hardened version, and it's soldered directly to the board in PCs intended for enterprise use. Less-hardened firmware TPM support is built right into modern AMD and Intel processors, and that will satisfy Windows 11's TPM requirement just fine.

5 minutes ago, Mastermind said:

Win9x : good
WinME : Bad

WinXP : Good

WinVista : Bad

Win7 : Good

Win8 : Bad

Win10 : Good

Win11 : Want to take a bet? 

Not me.  I always skip the next generation unless I am forced to buy it.

On 6/24/2021 at 8:25 PM, ElCabong said:

You don't know what the problems are going to be. Microsoft doesn't know what the problems are going to be. It's a classic case of the known unknowns and the unknown unknowns. It could very well be a horrible gaming platform.

Nobody is going to support it until it comes out. You're going to have to wait for any application or game to get fixed. 

If you plan on buying a new system keep it at windows 10.

actually i bet $100 microsoft knows exactly what the problems will be i mean i hope so they designed it

3 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Not me.  I always skip the next generation unless I am forced to buy it.

yep i bet $100 itll be bad