don't be the first kid on the block to get Windows 11. wait a year.

ElCabong

On 7/1/2021 at 11:18 PM, canadianbluebeer said:

Replacing Windows with Linux on a DESKTOP (emphasis), is generally a trivial thing.

Did that for my father over 15 years ago. (he hated waiting for the AV software to load and the warnings etc).

Switched him to Ubuntu,   Firefox,  Evolution, OpenOffice (at the time) and all worked fine.

When my mother came to live with me, I switched her over immediately, as she would click on darn near anything.

Same deal. Firefox and Chrome (reasons for both),  LibreOffice etc.  All well.

Was going to change her from the Unity interface to Cinnamon, as closer to a windows feel.

Her response:  " I don't remember what that was like. I don't want to learn anything new".  (she's 80 now)

Wifi cards are an issue still. Had to move her computer,  (after truck hit the house, see the clip).

Got a wifi adapter and 100' ethernet cable as backup.

No go on the card.

Cable made it with about 2' to spare.

So the AVERAGE user, the OS really doesn't make much difference.  Browser, email, print and that's pretty much all many care about.

Besides, how many NON-Techie types can troubleshoot or fix a windows problem?  yeah, not many.

So if that can't fix linux, the call for help, just like in windows.

Oh, it's an absolute bonus treat for the scam calls and fake popups too.

Mother: "Windows Security Center has found ...."  "what should I do?"

Me:  Mom, are you running windows?

Mother: Well, no.

Me:  just click the red X in the corner. It's a scam, and it can't hurt you because I put you on linux.

Mom: oh, ok.

The scam calls, are fun. I string them along looking for what they want.

Sooooo much fun when I say  "oh, did I forget to mention I'm on Linux and not Windows?"

hee-hee.  (serves those bastids right)    :D

(and no, linux is not perfect, nor is it a panacea for anything)

Oh, I've also been using it since pre 0.99 . Still have the stack of floppies for that. I'm a bit of a packrat for software stuff)

:D

Get Linux and your WiFi will work. Ubuntu isn't true Linux. It's got that systemd malware. I have yet to find a wireless NIC that does not work out of the box on Gentoo or PCLOS. Ubuntu has hoops to jump through to make certain hardware work.

You should also correct the final statement. Ubuntu and its derivatives are not perfect, not by a long shot, but there are several distros that come dang close. Remember, using Ubuntu is starting to be using Windows. You get those layers of complexity between your app and the kernel, and it is far more than systemd. No thanks.

Well, before they removed the tool to test if your computer allowed to run windows 11, I tested my BRAND new computer and it didn't pass.  Sooo F Microsoft, I'll stick to Windows 10.  Windows 10 good for 2025 I believe, I MIGHT afford a new computer with Win 11 installed then.

With the chip shortage and High prices on computer components, seems a bad time to introduce an OS with stark high system requirements ?  Am I missing something here ?

Edited by Ripflex (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, Ripflex said:

With the chip shortage and High prices on computer components, seems a bad time to introduce an OS with stark high system requirements ?  Am I missing something here ?

And in testing it so far, the only real visual changes are minimal.  According to the documentation on the dev build, I should be able to install this on an unsupported chipset, so I may give it a shot with the i7-7700 laptop. (Based on the way it reads, I should be able to install dev or Beta onto this "un-supported" hardware, but the live build may be locked out.)  I am not at all certain what features of this build would require a newer processor, outside of possible TPM compatibility issues. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

And so far after three days of using the Windows 11 test, there are only a few things that I have found to be really annoying. One is just a new feature that isn't fully implemented yet, and another is a re-structuring of settings that makes it take 4 extra steps to get to something I used to have a right-click menu for. (Though admittedly, so far it seems to retain the setting I configured in that right-click menu after a reboot. Which is something Win 10 doesn't do, and makes the fast access to the setting important.)

Some things like opening explorer and basic navigation are light speeds faster in Windows 11 than in Windows 10. It could be argued that the difference between the two is a bloated Win 10 installation, however in this case my Win 10 install is relatively clean and fresh. In comparison I am also running the same software bloat between the two systems with one exception. I haven't stuck BitDefender on the Win11 install yet because I'm testing Windows Defender out. (Which so far, looks like it's a pretty big improvement over the previous version. At least it's a lot more optimized and less of a hassle.)

5 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

And in testing it so far, the only real visual changes are minimal.  According to the documentation on the dev build, I should be able to install this on an unsupported chipset, so I may give it a shot with the i7-7700 laptop. (Based on the way it reads, I should be able to install dev or Beta onto this "un-supported" hardware, but the live build may be locked out.)  I am not at all certain what features of this build would require a newer processor, outside of possible TPM compatibility issues. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.

And so far after three days of using the Windows 11 test, there are only a few things that I have found to be really annoying. One is just a new feature that isn't fully implemented yet, and another is a re-structuring of settings that makes it take 4 extra steps to get to something I used to have a right-click menu for. (Though admittedly, so far it seems to retain the setting I configured in that right-click menu after a reboot. Which is something Win 10 doesn't do, and makes the fast access to the setting important.)

Some things like opening explorer and basic navigation are light speeds faster in Windows 11 than in Windows 10. It could be argued that the difference between the two is a bloated Win 10 installation, however in this case my Win 10 install is relatively clean and fresh. In comparison I am also running the same software bloat between the two systems with one exception. I haven't stuck BitDefender on the Win11 install yet because I'm testing Windows Defender out. (Which so far, looks like it's a pretty big improvement over the previous version. At least it's a lot more optimized and less of a hassle.)

A different explanation could be that to induce people to get the new version they "accidentally" bloat windows10 through patches. At the end of Win7 there was a lot of talk about Win7 with patch level 2 being a lot slower on PCs than the original Win7. Was that only rumor or fact, not sure? If a fact then the question is whether it was because of security patches costing performance or whether it was deliberate. It would be a form of planned obscolescence and usually that is VERY hard to prove.

7 hours ago, Ripflex said:

Well, before they removed the tool to test if your computer allowed to run windows 11, I tested my BRAND new computer and it didn't pass.  Sooo F Microsoft, I'll stick to Windows 10.  Windows 10 good for 2025 I believe, I MIGHT afford a new computer with Win 11 installed then.

If your computer is stated that it can't run windows 11, either your using something really outdated, or they haven't even implemented every processor, gpu, drive, and ram combination yet.

It is quite literally in the earliest of stages, we won't be seeing it for 3-5 years so why does it matter that much? A lot can change, just like this game.

Just as much as the GPU market can change in 3-5 years. Just because "there is a chip shortage" doesn't make an OS that is heavily processor and drive bound useless because GPUs are 2-3x MSRP.

So Microshaft is re-considering the hardware requirements after a lot of backlash. It's looking like they'll include the Intel 7th gen and Ryzen 1000-series chipsets. It's interesting especially because the architecture from 4th to 7th gen Intel is basically the same, so that might leave it possible for older Intel chipsets to upgrade with some tweaking.

And all-in-all, Win 11 isn't very far from being stable enough to be used as a primary OS. The last update fixed a couple of the things I hated, and the only real issue I have currently is one of multitasking abilities.

On 6/28/2021 at 11:45 PM, doughphunghus said:

Yeah, I do agree on the “relative ease of use” but I still know people (friends and family) who are just not willing to mess with it. I’ve tried and lost the battle. I was able to get 1 person to switch to an Apple MacBook, which is sort of a “win” and they love it over Windows, but then again they weren’t really doing anything special (no special apps, for work, etc).edit: and they spent a bizillion dollars for it(ha) but I got to have their old laptop as they no longer wanted it.  So it sorta kept some old hardware out of a landfill. 

the other problem I’ve run into is Windows apps that run poorly on Wine. Usually it’s “I have to have this app” like old school Quicken or something where they’ve been using it for years. :)

Same here, would love to know what to do to repair this - From what I know is that the WindowsStore went haywire after some update - from that point on - it all went down. I've read somewhere that MediaCreationToolx64.exe should work things out... I'm looking for the reddit post that had some additional info on how to restore the apps after that MediaCreationToolx64...