How many days would the real you survive?

Maharin

Expressing my own opinion, people who are in the cities, as I believe, are safer than those who are in the villages. Naturally, after the outbreak of the epidemic (as for example now), many services will adopt a state of emergency. Including the army and special" units " of medics. Based on this idea, it is best for ordinary people to hide in their own apartments and wait for news.
Being in bunkers, or even more so "Rimbaud-survivalists" - will be much more dangerous. The epidemic is likely to be stopped, if certain services are operational.

In other cases, only by uniting people can survive normally.

In real world scenario it just the luck the define your survival. If you are in crowded place when it start, you might not even survive 10 minute, but if you are hiking and off population you might get chance. Then where you left alone, if that place is full of z or very rare, what resources are available. 

Also in real world anyone will search for fellow survivor and start growing community, as that is best chance to live longer assumming you find one.

55 minutes ago, pt3n41k said:

Expressing my own opinion, people who are in the cities, as I believe, are safer than those who are in the villages. Naturally, after the outbreak of the epidemic (as for example now), many services will adopt a state of emergency. Including the army and special" units " of medics. Based on this idea, it is best for ordinary people to hide in their own apartments and wait for news.

I've seen how people react to a toilet paper shortage, so I can't imagine how crazy cities would get when the military puts an entire metropolitan area under quarantine and no food is coming in. In rural areas there's opportunities to farm and hunt to be self sustainable, and lower numbers of infected you'd run into which greatly increases your survivability. Urban areas would fall to famine a few weeks after supply lines are cut, and all those people holding up in apartments will be surrounded by thousands of infected roaming the streets (in a 7DTD scenario).

I would die day one for sure.

My son says that to increase the chances of him, my daughter, and my grandchildren's survivability that if the zombie apocalypse happens, his first step will be to give me mercy. A disabled grandmother is too likely to get others killed.

I love my kids.

1 hour ago, Lemmers said:

I've seen how people react to a toilet paper shortage, so I can't imagine how crazy cities would get when the military puts an entire metropolitan area under quarantine and no food is coming in. In rural areas there's opportunities to farm and hunt to be self sustainable, and lower numbers of infected you'd run into which greatly increases your survivability. Urban areas would fall to famine a few weeks after supply lines are cut, and all those people holding up in apartments will be surrounded by thousands of infected roaming the streets (in a 7DTD scenario).

You don't need to imagine, just watch what's happening in some cities in CCP China... people are forbidden to leave their apartements and are starving, while the ones brave enough to go against the lock-down are arrested (or worse). Some have lost their mind/patience because they needed medicine for their relatives and knifed down a man trying to stop them. Sadly we don't need zombies to get crazy (in cities). So basically I agree, cities are the worst place to be under a pandemic.

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

Yeah... in any crazy, society ending situation a city is the last place you'd want to be.  Remember, 7DTD starts after society has already broken down.  There is no military to call on or government or anything else.

Accurate. According to Max Brooks book The Zombie Survival Guide, cities are the worst area to be in as a zombie apocalypse is occuring. The high population density makes it for a proportional zombified people density and it may be extremely difficult to navigate into this raging chaos with the intention of getting out of there. Streets will be filled and clogged with corpses, people in panic, damaged vehicles with many being on fire and obviously with lots of zombies.

Best examples of this is any time the protagonists have something to do in Atlanta, in The Walking Dead and the opening sequence in Philadelphia, in World War Z.

The first thing to do would be to leave the city ASAP, if its remotely possible. Idealy, one shouldnt even be in a city in the first place and refrain from going back in it. The out-country still remains the best place to be, as close as possible to Earth's north and south poles (like protagonists do in 28 Days Later, in the last stretch of the movie).

I'd recommend that most folk go to the south pole. At least you've got McMurdo. Up north, we lived in tents on the ice sheet. Even the summit station isn't a permanent structure and must be moved every few years. That, and the 200+ mph winds can be a bit intense for some. 

If you are a prepper, you are well equiped and skilled for an apocalypse ! 🙂 Same like other survialist and people they can life without smartphones.

Just watch video's how people craft simple houses and other stuff out of nothing.

How To Build The Most Modern Underground Swimming Pools with Underground House

But all other which would take a smartphone as first thing to a lonely island are just running meat (like me).

At my age? prolly not live as long as I would like.

40 years ago?  um.. gonna need cleanup in aisle 3, 4, 5 and 7.

1,2 and 6 are just smoking craters now.

Then again, I know where the armories are, and I do remember how make things that go BOOM or BURNYBURNY.

Thank you harmy training.  😛

(actually, I'd probably try to get to a small island and just wait it out there with a few... defenses.) 

:)

heh.

Depends on luck in my opinion. Giant direwolves and bears occupying the forest areas would make it difficult to traverse, and if you stumble into one, you wouldn't be able to outrun it fast enough before getting mauled to the ground.

Lack of survival experience apart from hanging out in forests and fish from time to time. I would only know how to make a campfire and the basics. I did suck myself into tonnes of videos and articles about survival in various situations, but I don't think they're gonna be of much use if I haven't even worked with my own hands that much.

Runners and feral zombies. They can sprint at you for how long they want at an insane speed, but you most likely won't including the amount of gear you will maybe have on you (filled backpack, clothes) unless you are an athlete. I jogged with a mil backpack on me once. Really will be turn out to be bad when you get exhausted. Unless you are tanky and confident enough in your melee skills with a suitable weapon to be able to take on one, it probably won't end up in a happy ending. Wights and feral soldiers are especially insanely taller and stronger built than the average joe, plus consider they run aswell, you'll better pray you have an firearm with you or you'll go down in the worst way possible down.

Survival chances would go down till it reaches nil at some point if you take into account at how ridicolous (and awesome) it will get with the blood moon horde as you survive more, if you manage to make it that far. Yes, hello 5 zombie bears, 20 wights, soldiers, cop pukers on day 100?

It depends on how fast I could find a rifle or shotgun with ample ammo.  Not good with a pistol and melee would be a form of suicide for me!

If the BM horde can track you, no matter were you are and could smash through walls like they do... it would be a few weeks at most (depending on ammo supplies).

1 hour ago, Ornias said:

Yeah but we would get LBD back though....

lol...THAT'S how you would die. You'd be too sore and tired to get away from the zombies after spending three days solid of no sleep doing dozens of simple actions repetitively in order to somehow "learn" complex skills through "doing"....

On 2/14/2021 at 5:03 PM, Roland said:

in order to somehow "learn" complex skills through "doing"....

You jest, but that is literally how every thing that was ever learned was learned. We have all had a front-row seat for Elon Musk blowing up or crashing numerous rockets before he* figured out how to launch and recover them on the regular. For most of us, If we decided tying a rock to the end of a stick was going to be useful, we'd probably go through a few iterations before we found a workable tool. Especially if we first had to weave our own rope from plant fibers. Even if we somehow found a schematic, we'd probably have to try a few times to get it right. We have whole buildings - campuses even - devoted to this idea today, where the ignorant are shown how to do a thing and they practice it over and over until they're proficient. With guidance from experts, no less.

*The genius engineers who work for him, more accurately

As for OP, are we talking about zombie-sized horses or horse-sized zombies? 🙂

If it is strictly limited to the game world, where I wake up with nothing and the apocalypse is in full swing (but no zombies in the immediate vicinity, and they can't smell me), I think I could make it a few days on basic survival skills learned in the military, though without even a pocket knife much would depend on the biome I woke up in. Snow might be slightly more survivable because we start with a torch. I have about 1/4 the stamina of a level 1 7D2D character so when it becomes necessary to run away, that would be the end. I can fight 16-20 5-year-olds at a time and survive, but not by running away from them. Bears, dogs, and wolves would probably be a bigger threat than the zombies.

If I get to start in my house, with knowledge that zombies are coming, I might be able to survive for quite a while, Walking Dead style. I'd load up my two old rifles and limited ammo and all the tools, medicine, food, and water in the house into the RV and head for the hills. And I'm bringing the bicycles, not learning how to build new ones! A crowd of zombies would likely not be survivable, but with access to modern tools I could probably set enough traps and have some primitive-ish weapons to fight off one or two without wasting ammo. Heck, I'd probably build several different iterations of traps to try to learn how to do it better. 😜

In either case, I think mental strain would be as much of a risk as the zombies. Fear and isolation are mind killers.

9 minutes ago, Boidster said:

You jest

Always....but....given your good points, MY point was that in video games players take LBD to such ridiculous extremes all in the name of power leveling that any semblence of reality is destroyed. The joke was only partially about doing simple tasks like making a stone axe 1000 times in order to suddenly be able to craft high quality steel axes as well. That would be like Elon Musk setting off 1000 plastic water rockets over the course of a week and then his first actual rocket using rocket fuel operating perfectly because of all his LBD with the simple water rocket.

The joke was also about the incentive gamers feel to spend the first game week simply doing LBD activities before they start playing because they only want to actually play the game with skills that are already high instead of playing and naturally building up those skills over time in an organic way. That is the weakness of every LBD game out there. They are all exploitable and tempt the player to play in an unnatural way. Even Valheim (Which I played for the first time last night) allows you to just spam jump around in place or run in circles in order to pump up those LBD skills and that is a new game with the benefit of seeing how all past LBD mechanics have been abused and still not doing anything about it.

I think LBD is fun but I also enjoy the point system. The weakness in LBD that apparently can't be plugged by any development studio is having constraints in place so that unnatural spam leveling of skills doesn't work. Please keep in mind, that I am talking purely from a game design perspective. If someone out there LIKES spam leveling LBD skills and is feeling like I shouldn't care how others play the game, relax. Play how you want and have fun. I just see a weakness in the LBD design and am giving my opinion of that perceived weakness.

Archived