A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

I'm sure the sole cause of this "Optimize A19 first or you are all terrible people" was the person in question had yet to get their "Magic Money" from the US government!

It's obvious!  Now, if he was from another country then, lets face it, you guys don't really exist in most American eyes.  You call "Football" some stupid footsy game for god sake!  Pick up that damn ball and smash someone it the face!  Then it'd be a real game!

Hope this helped!

2 hours ago, BobbyLee298 said:

@madmole since 7D2D is getting "simplified" 

i would like to know if the idea that would make it so players can repair their whole bace from some menu or station was in the works or even passed through?

That sounds like a nice idea. I would be up for it if the cost of automatic repair was higher than the actual manual one. It could be done in a workbench as a task/recipe, maybe unlocked with a workstation mod akin to bellows or the like.

9 hours ago, pregnable said:

I am cool and handsome and everyone likes me.  np. 

9 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Weird coincidence - my mom told me I was cool and handsome and everyone liked me.

Are you my brother?

Boys, you're old enough to know who your real father is... :smokin:

7 hours ago, beHypE said:

I'm not saying finding a level 5 M60 on day 1

I stopped reading there.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

That sounds like a nice idea. I would be up for it if the cost of automatic repair was higher than the actual manual one. It could be done in a workbench as a task/recipe, maybe unlocked with a workstation mod akin to bellows or the like.

Yes, yes! I'd also add a button to quick-resolve Blood Moons where the game weighs all your gear and automatically subtracts the amount of damage you're supposed to take if you really fought through it! That would be fantastic! :biggrin1: (NOT)

26 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Yes, yes! I'd also add a button to quick-resolve Blood Moons where the game weighs all your gear and automatically subtracts the amount of damage you're supposed to take if you really fought through it! That would be fantastic! :biggrin1: (NOT)

Repairing a base is something I would rather not expend more than 30 seconds doing. An extremely boring and repetitive task that doesn't reward the player with the slightest xp. Some way to alleviate that task late game would indeed be to add a "gamey way" like that to reduce some time to it. Destroyed blocks should remain destroyed though. This is not a space survival. Don' t tell me you love to repair a 10000 concrete block base with a warm feeling in your heart.

Grind can be ok, I love farming and the feeling of harvesting. But repairing  for more than an hour? Please, I prefer to build or craft or go sightseing with that time. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

Repairing a base is something I would rather not expend more than 30 seconds doing. An extremely boring and repetitive task that doesn't reward the player with the slightest xp. Some way to alleviate that task late game would indeed be to add a "gamey way" like that to reduce some time to it. Destroyed blocks should remain destroyed though. This is not a space survival. Don' t tell me you love to repair a 10000 concrete block base with a warm feeling in your heart.

Grind can be ok, I love farming and the feeling of harvesting. But repairing  for more than an hour? Please, I prefer to build or craft or go sightseing with that time. 

100% this is how i feel.

I dont build a fortress because of every little block i gotta repair after a hoardnight, if theirs gonna be simplifying of the game this would be the one i think old and new players will enjoy. 

Change is hard for many of us to tolerate, especially when we get used to something & we really like it. 

Maybe we'll end up loving all these new changes. I'm still getting used to the new gamepad controls for vehicles.... definitely not a fan...but it doesn't take away from the game, just an annoyance. 

Can't wait till A20 drops and see for ourselves how we adapt.

4 minutes ago, meganoth said:

One word: repair .... NO, two words: repair drone !!!!

How about a late game mod to the drone so it automatically repairs any damaged block in your vicinity with the speed of a nail gun if you have the mats. While you can repair destroyed blocks or help the drone. IMHO not overpowered, you still need to visit every corner of your base and repair substantial damage made by demos etc.

Nah thanks. I'd rather have control over repairing my base and not having the drone waste forged steel on repairing blocks that are missing 5 or 10 HP from a few grenades I had tossed down during the last horde.

Edit: Backtracking. As a feature, sure, but I probably won't use it regardless. 😛

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nah thanks. I'd rather have control over repairing my base and not having the drone waste forged steel on repairing blocks that are missing 5 or 10 HP from a few grenades I had tossed down during the last horde.

Edit: Backtracking. As a feature, sure, but I probably won't use it regardless. 😛

Simple. The drone could be set to only repair damage bigger than some specific number.

Anyway, you also can't control which zombies the turrets attack, that is the inherent disadvantage of automated thingies. And as you say, nobody needs to use it

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

22 hours ago, dahkdm said:

There's a clear line between reasonable and unreasonable criticism, and comments like "you need to optimize A19 before A20" are just silly. There's a general thread of antagonism throughout this whole community and it is lame and alienating.

Of course it's silly because it's not based on anything that is happening with the game.

People say silly things all the time. No one gets hurt. You shrug and move on.

It`s interesting how some of you jumped on a guy pointing out that this community is "toxic", assuming he is emotional etc.  proving his statement to be correct. You don`t need to use foul language to be toxic. Also implying that someone doesn`t understand sarcasm, humor, irony whatever is irrelevant when that is not what he actually meant( as I understood it) and again further proves his point.

As a hard-core 7dtd fan and years of lurking I have "learned" most of posters personalities(and snowdogs small wiener *wink*) and can honestly say that this is the best community I have seen, probably because average forum members age could be 35+ish?
So mature adult gamers here, but sometimes it`s saddening to see bunch of you guys being "toxic", could easily call it "unpleasant" or "unnecessary rude" to new members. 
Lately it has become more obvious as forum is becoming less active and some of you guys are becoming more negative, whether it`s due to worlds current situation or lack of A20 news doesn`t change the outcome.

Then again, this forum has never been very "new member-friendly" unless it`s Adam who spammed every post and became forum child. 😀 

Members of this forum is like a family, very tight one.

How many active members are here? probably less than 50, and everyone knows everyone as majority of you guys are here posting and busting each others balls for years already, so when there is a newcomer and god forbid he doesn`t share the families opinion.. well good luck to that poor soul.

You make arguments and say that some people can`t handle "bluntness", "criticism" etc., but when it`s the other way around you can`t do it either and become emotional.. go figure.

There are many of you(if not all) who actually provide legit and valid criticism with good points, but no one is perfect and sometimes your criticism is just "I don`t like this, because... ummmm... I don`t like it". (Could date this back years for every change - molds, gore blocks, digging zombies, pathing, food, leveling, lbd, farming, now upgrades)

I guess I wrote this in hope that some of you could actually take one step back and look at the bigger picture or someone`s thought, especially if one says that we should be more friendly towards devs/members and be less "toxic", but answer to that is "Are you a mod? If not, mind your own business" like wtf, lol.

I blame rum for this post, so on a more positive and topic related note, do you guys think we will see something new and interesting in todays dev stream or will it be just them playing and showing new twitch integration?

In the big scheme of things, I'm sure most people don't care THAT much about a nuance of what another person typed.

I'm also pretty sure that most people do know how others react to comments here, that newer people might construe as controversial. (If they didn't know the person).

But newer people that read the posts for a few months will most likely know who says what. 

As to myself, I say things I think might be funny and the last few comment are vain attempts to get TFP to send me a copy of A20.

I didn't get a copy... Of course I would say that even if I did...  :) 

2 hours ago, v3tro said:

It`s interesting how some of you jumped on a guy pointing out that this community is "toxic", assuming he is emotional etc.  proving his statement to be correct. You don`t need to use foul language to be toxic. Also implying that someone doesn`t understand sarcasm, humor, irony whatever is irrelevant when that is not what he actually meant( as I understood it) and again further proves his point.

As a hard-core 7dtd fan and years of lurking I have "learned" most of posters personalities(and snowdogs small wiener *wink*) and can honestly say that this is the best community I have seen, probably because average forum members age could be 35+ish?
So mature adult gamers here, but sometimes it`s saddening to see bunch of you guys being "toxic", could easily call it "unpleasant" or "unnecessary rude" to new members. 
Lately it has become more obvious as forum is becoming less active and some of you guys are becoming more negative, whether it`s due to worlds current situation or lack of A20 news doesn`t change the outcome.

Then again, this forum has never been very "new member-friendly" unless it`s Adam who spammed every post and became forum child. 😀 

How many active members are here? probably less than 50, and everyone knows everyone as majority of you guys are here posting and busting each others balls for years already, so when there is a newcomer and god forbid he doesn`t share the families opinion.. well good luck to that poor soul.

You make arguments and say that some people can`t handle "bluntness", "criticism" etc., but when it`s the other way around you can`t do it either and become emotional.. go figure.

There are many of you(if not all) who actually provide legit and valid criticism with good points, but no one is perfect and sometimes your criticism is just "I don`t like this, because... ummmm... I don`t like it". (Could date this back years for every change - molds, gore blocks, digging zombies, pathing, food, leveling, lbd, farming, now upgrades)

I guess I wrote this in hope that some of you could actually take one step back and look at the bigger picture or someone`s thought, especially if one says that we should be more friendly towards devs/members and be less "toxic", but answer to that is "Are you a mod? If not, mind your own business" like wtf, lol.

I blame rum for this post, so on a more positive and topic related note, do you guys think we will see something new and interesting in todays dev stream or will it be just them playing and showing new twitch integration?

1. I will have a think on all of this.

2. What do you mean today? There's a dev stream happening today? :confused2:

Edit: Ahhhh, I see it now. Great. Right when my sleep schedule has made me nocturnal again.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

IMO it should calculate the total damage done to each block variant, so say you have a bace made from wood, it will add up all the damages from each block into one number for it to then calculate total cost of repair. this would prevent it from blowing 1 steel on a steelblock that only took 5hp damage, and other setting could include, Fix most damage blocks first, Fix least damaged blocks first, and Equally repair all blocks.... and maybe filters for Doors,Traps,Electronics,Ect

1 hour ago, v3tro said:

Go into a room with 50 people of all types, some of them nice, some of the "normal",, some of them more of the confrontational type. Accuse them all of being toxic (which is hyperbole as true "toxic" posts would be removed by moderation) and watch what happens.

Whether true or not, they will object. And if 10 people tell you you are wrong it automatically feels like you are pressured and there is a mob forming even though it is just that many people reading the post have a different opinion and want to tell you that.

Now when asked for an example of this toxic community, point to someone who only has 2 posts(!!) in this forum and whose post is not even close to something that needs moderation, even by higher standards. This leads to more objections and more feelings of being pushed in a corner. Naturally you would feel your opinion of an unpleasant place is confirmed.

I think periodic self-checks are good for how we behave on the forums. I know I’ve had to make corrections over the years. My only objection to this whole conversation was that it started on the A20 dev diary. That shouldn’t have happened. 

As for new members, I think the onus is on them for how they choose to post the first couple of times if they want to be accepted into the community. It doesn’t have to be a gushing expression of love toward the game and can even be a critical post. The key is to not be insulting, raging, profane, and accusatory as your first impression. That’s not how you make friends in any sphere. It is almost always the case that a newcomer needs to figure out the community dynamics and adjust to that culture if they wish to become a member rather than expect the community to change to suit them. That’s just common sense— not toxicity. 

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

I think periodic self-checks are good for how we behave on the forums. I know I’ve had to make corrections over the years. My only objection to this whole conversation was that it started on the A20 dev diary. That shouldn’t have happened. 

As for new members, I think the onus is on them for how they choose to post the first couple of times if they want to be accepted into the community. It doesn’t have to be a gushing expression of love toward the game and can even be a critical post. The key is to not be insulting, raging, profane, and accusatory as your first impression. That’s not how you make friends in any sphere. It is almost always the case that a newcomer needs to figure out the community dynamics and adjust to that culture if they wish to become a member rather than expect the community to change to suit them. That’s just common sense— not toxicity. 

So in short, basic tribalism. :) 

Well wrote piece v3tro. We all have things in the game we like, don't like, want to see, & want to see go, etc. 

Sometimes it is hard to see the way people do post on here, especially towards new members, however I've seen it between more veteran posters as well. 

This has to be because it's taking so long to get A20 to us....we're @%$#ed off, frustrated, anxious.....so yes...looking at you Fun Pimps....this is your fault!!!!!!!! <<<Obviously kidding here....or am I 🤔😔😜

21 hours ago, dahkdm said:

In my experience, this isn't true for every community. There are cool, chill places to hang out online -- even places with thousands of active users. They aren't common, but they certainly exist.

The emoji itself is neutral. The use of it, when you went back to every post I made and reacted to each one at once, was petty. I got notifs for each one due to default forum settings.

You also did not respond to my argument. Like I said, you might not call it toxic, that's fine. But the way that you, now, are acting is needlessly antagonistic.

Sigh, get over yourself. We live in the days of people looking for ways to be offended.