Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

@faatal, will the bug with the Molotov cocktail be fixed in A20, when after the fire disappears, you can catch fire for a few seconds? And is there a chance that in the future ( maybe in 100 years ) a metro or something similar will appear in random generation?

Some of it must be asked and answered before, so sorry if I'm a repeat... but here it goes...

Since RWG is changing so much as well as POI's (different ones and the placement), maybe most of these questions are solved because of that.

Been playing a new world again a few weeks ago and for a while now I'm almost only getting tier 5 quests, which is getting very (very) repetitive (especially since these are the same from previous alpha's). I have (really) a lot of shamway and shotgun factories and only the smallest of the skyscraper.

- Will there be more tier 5 quest buildings?

- Will there be a better distribution of all of the different tier 5 buildings? (so not like now, having 5 shamway factories, but not other tier 5 buildings)

- Can the Shamway factory get better (end) loot? What I mean is, when I get a new quest from the trader, it's hard to choose for the Shamway factory, when I also get the Shotgun one.

I like them both a lot, but the time it takes to complete the quest, it's hard to choose the Shamway one because of the lack of good loot.

- And last one, can the quest picking be changed at the trader? Now when you reach a certain level, you only get tier 5 quests, but I'm missing out on some fun lower tier quests or I can't repeat the fun ones.

Since I'm higher in level, the zombies in those building will be harder also.

Maybe let the player select which tier level they want a quest from? (when you have opened up that tier from leveling up ofc)

Thanks for reading and maybe answering.

4 hours ago, Kirill_226RUS said:

@faatal, will the bug with the Molotov cocktail be fixed in A20, when after the fire disappears, you can catch fire for a few seconds? And is there a chance that in the future ( maybe in 100 years ) a metro or something similar will appear in random generation?

I think I fixed that months ago.

6 hours ago, Kirill_226RUS said:

1 hour ago, faatal said:

You fixed the whole underground metro line ? Damn, that's way faster than any local government. I knew you worked on the Mars Lander, but still.... :shocked::cool2::classic_biggrin:

6 hours ago, Aero said:

Some of it must be asked and answered before, so sorry if I'm a repeat... but here it goes...

Since RWG is changing so much as well as POI's (different ones and the placement), maybe most of these questions are solved because of that.

Been playing a new world again a few weeks ago and for a while now I'm almost only getting tier 5 quests, which is getting very (very) repetitive (especially since these are the same from previous alpha's). I have (really) a lot of shamway and shotgun factories and only the smallest of the skyscraper.

- Will there be more tier 5 quest buildings?

- Will there be a better distribution of all of the different tier 5 buildings? (so not like now, having 5 shamway factories, but not other tier 5 buildings)

- Can the Shamway factory get better (end) loot? What I mean is, when I get a new quest from the trader, it's hard to choose for the Shamway factory, when I also get the Shotgun one.

I like them both a lot, but the time it takes to complete the quest, it's hard to choose the Shamway one because of the lack of good loot.

- And last one, can the quest picking be changed at the trader? Now when you reach a certain level, you only get tier 5 quests, but I'm missing out on some fun lower tier quests or I can't repeat the fun ones.

Since I'm higher in level, the zombies in those building will be harder also.

Maybe let the player select which tier level they want a quest from? (when you have opened up that tier from leveling up ofc)

Thanks for reading and maybe answering.

In A20 you will be able to select lower tier quests at the trader

14 hours ago, faatal said:

Do you mean that time when you made a pass at the molotovs and made them better and even reduced the case of self-immolating situations? Yeah. Well if you mean that (and we should have that in a19) then you didn't fix this particular issue, which is actually very simple as it might have to do with particle generation. Code seems to be right, but fire effects finish a bit BEFORE the actual end of the burning event and you can (no matter admin or client) catch fire in a seemingly fire-free area right after you see the flames disappear (it can be subtle, but it happens). It might also have to do with the Particle video option, as it happens to me at 5% and 25% particles. Particles should be always visible in all the area, but maybe with a quality downgrade for lower video options (to allow for fire detection), not a full vanish.

Also, molotovs might need an even smaller "animation collider", to account for some very common cases of half-block throwings. Actually, they shouldn't result in self-immolating accidents both for gameplay purposes and realistic purposes ever (I don't believe you as a human being would crash a burning bottle in the corner of a tiny window while throwing it, ever). So the actual throwing immolating accident should only happen in the center cross, ignoring the animation, allowing for throwings in any place with holes, even arrowslits.

We would be very thankful if you check this out for us pyromaniac psicos.

8 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

@faatal

So how will the sewers work? will they be across the city?

are they a POI

will they span in citys or across the map? 

And will zombies spawn in them? *Hint hint Hobo zombies*

Pretty sure they are POIs. EDIT: ... and it seems that is wrong

The interesting question (asking Faatal here) is: Can a subway POI stack with a building above it if it has no basement ?

After 19 Alphas my only criticism is with combat and zombie pathing.

Hand-to-hand combat is unbearable especially at low levels:  zombies don't flinch properly (if at all), hit box at point blank doesn't make sense, and animations make game play non-intuitive.    Zombies should always respond to receiving a hit.  Sometimes this is a knock back, knockdown, or decapitation; sometimes this is a flinch.  A flinch should be a random interruption duration between a split second (where zombies will attack before you can swing again) and a slightly longer duration (allowing you a second swing before it recovers).  Flinches need animations.  Flinches are not as effective as knock backs but represent minimal effect from receiving blows.  This feedback mechanism should be happening with each hit--melee or ranged.

Zombie pathing around obstacles is not the problem.  The pathing problem is related to the compass' orientation between the user and the zombie.  If you aim N, S, E, or W the zombie will run straight at you (good).  However, if you aim NE, NW, SE, or SW the zombie will zig-zag block to block rather than run directly at you (bad).  This is highly unrealistic and makes ranged combat unbearable.  A zombie is dumb and should be running straight at you and not zig-zag just because you are shooting in a NE, NW, SE, or SW direction. 

Other changes are looking great.  Keep up the good work TFP. ❤️❤️❤️

Pritch

On 10/29/2020 at 3:49 AM, madmole said:

10) Trader to Trader progression

• Details Coming

11) Loot Progression and Gamestaging Improvements

• Details Coming

13) Dynamic Music and Ambient Audio Improvements

• Details Coming

15) Digging Quest Improvements

• Implemented but not yet revealed

@madmole Hi. Alpha 20 should be out soon, can you give us some details on these points? If I missed them, may be it make sense to update the information in the first post of this discussion? Thank you.

10 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

am i crazy or something but in 19.5 to 19.6 it feels like my pc handles bigger pois much better now has someone snuck some surprise optimizations in? 😂 

becuase nothing has been changed or upgraded but now suddenly i get less fps drops when around big pois even the sky scrapers now 

I have an opposite problem. I have massive fps drops in my base at around 23 o clock. It drops from 50fps to 20. After midnight it goes back to normal. Playing on random map and even changed the time with settime (it worked), but almost every day is the same problem. Anyone had the same ?

39 minutes ago, Dares said:

I have an opposite problem. I have massive fps drops in my base at around 23 o clock. It drops from 50fps to 20. After midnight it goes back to normal. Playing on random map and even changed the time with settime (it worked), but almost every day is the same problem. Anyone had the same ?

It's the GameSpark server: resets at midnight.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

It's the GameSpark server: resets at midnight.

It's strange for me that it started to lag on a new map. Before i played on navezgane and everything was good. Is there a way to prevent fps drop ? 

3 hours ago, Dares said:

I don't recall the specific time offhand this happens but is it possible that the issue is the setting sun casting long shadows?

56 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

I don't recall the specific time offhand this happens but is it possible that the issue is the setting sun casting long shadows

Hmm I'll check it. It happens only when I'm in or near my base

3 hours ago, Dares said:

Hmm I'll check it. It happens only when I'm in or near my base

You can try settings shadows to off or lower while it is happening and see how much better it gets.

On 8/29/2021 at 1:21 PM, meganoth said:

Pretty sure they are POIs. EDIT: ... and it seems that is wrong

The interesting question (asking Faatal here) is: Can a subway POI stack with a building above it if it has no basement ?

I'm pretty sure the sewers are just part of the POI, so only certain POIs would have them. I don't think POIs can stack.

16 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

How about animals not having a visual effect if you light them on fire? :)

Working fine in A20.

A20b156BearFire.jpg

Archived