Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

joe... the bigger one has red eyes and in the dark you can see them from a distance as if glowing

and yes, you can compare them to the size of bears in the snow biome. especially when you can see them both during the day at the same time. well being color blind may be helping me out on the whole eye color. see the little wolf has dark eyes

So, stealth seems broken. All padded armor, moving around crouched at night with all the books and a point in From The Shadows but I can't through a single room in a tier 2 POI without disturbing zombies. Even wrenching inconvenient lights beforehand. I'll take it for granted that this will be looked into but meanwhile...

Can we get rid of the need for a person to be crouched to get the sneak attack bonus? Crouching helps avoid detection, but if the zombie has not detected you then you shouldn't be penalized for not being crouched. It's not like there's any bonus to hitting an aware zombie while crouched. Reward the act of sneaking, not the mechanic of crouching.

On 12/18/2021 at 1:00 AM, Khalagar said:

" Any runners especially will just run right at them and zoom up and over and barely take damage before ripping your nipples off and eating them like pepperoni."

For some reason this made me laugh so hard my kids came in to find out what was up. +1

Have the Dobermans (dogs) been replaced by Poodles ?, they do not seem to be as ruthless now. There animation attack sequence seems to have a pause for a good 1.5 seconds before they bite again which is odd.

They should be friggin tearing a new one into us none stop bite bite bite chomp bite bite bite etc etc etc

Intellect / junk turrets falling through floors  rants aside, a20 is great! The world generation alone makes it one of the best alpha's we've had of all time imo

12 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Have the Dobermans (dogs) been replaced by Poodles ?, they do not seem to be as ruthless now. There animation attack sequence seems to have a pause for a good 1.5 seconds before they bite again which is odd.

They should be friggin tearing a new one into us none stop bite bite bite chomp bite bite bite etc etc etc

They seem a bit weaker which imo is fine because dogs were the freaking deadliest enemy in the game bar none before. You would just hear "DOOOOOG" being shrieked from across a PoI when someone encountered one, followed by the person dying or "anyone have two splints, three antibotics, a vitamin, and a painkiller?"

Dog weaker, boar aggro on sight, it all balances out.  Madmole has been stealth buffing the bear as well, and that thing is a holy terror, I got absolutely shredded by one while wearing almost full steel armor with an autoshotgun. I *did* die one of my only deaths to a stupid dire wolf too

6 hours ago, meganoth said:

I don't understand why TFP has not added a check to NOT load worlds or savegames of other alphas and never generate an RWG world in a non-empty directory. Those two checks would have prevented dozens of false bug reports.

There is a check against loading old saves in the newer versions.  Like A20 should theoretically not allow loading A19 saves (didn't test it myself, but have seen reports of it).

As for RWG generating world only into Empty folders, UGH.  It would make testing RWG a pain.  Example I find a map where the seed produces a good biome layout, so then I play around with the other settings.  I would hate to have to also manually go and delete each time after generation before I could try a new set of settings.

However, perhaps it would be nice if the game appended a version to the name of the Generated World when it saved (which I do manually once I have decided to keep a world so the name looks like 'Nevosejo County.A20b218'

2 minutes ago, Red Eagle LXIX said:

There is a check against loading old saves in the newer versions.  Like A20 should theoretically not allow loading A19 saves (didn't test it myself, but have seen reports of it).

Yeah, I can confirm that, I wanted to take a look at my old world, but I guess it is best to let the past go.

55 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

They seems to spawn in packs more consistently now though and big packs, bigger packs than ever before and they sneak up on you, silent, silently crouching stealthily through the tall grass like a pack of ravenous dingos, Hyenas with an unsatiable appetite for your flesh.  

Face your death like a brave lamb facing slaughter,  for to run is to die a$$ first

Hey guys I wanted to mention that I'm really glad feral zombies now spawn in the snow biome cities not just in the night but the day and im really glad for this change because to me before the cities where boring and not dangerous but now the ferals really ramp up the difficulty I'm doing s survivalist difficult playthrough and I felt that sense of urgency to get to safety in which I haven't felt that in 7 days to die for a long time maybe eventually the wasteland will periodically spawn radiated zombies eventually I think that would be the perfect thing for that biome 

Heads up to QA: I reported a KeyNotFoundException. I saw that mentioned on the Known Issues list but there it said it happens when you generate a second world after generating a first. My report happens generating a world with an empty GeneratedWorlds as the first thing from starting 7 Days to Die.

6 hours ago, lug said:

may i ask if this is the way it is in b238?

Yep.

5 hours ago, Jay_ombie said:

AFAIK, same animations, same timing. There are random delays in AI tasks when created, so maybe a slow dog?

3 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

Hey guys I wanted to mention that I'm really glad feral zombies now spawn in the snow biome cities not just in the night but the day and im really glad for this change because to me before the cities where boring and not dangerous but now the ferals really ramp up the difficulty I'm doing s survivalist difficult playthrough and I felt that sense of urgency to get to safety in which I haven't felt that in 7 days to die for a long time maybe eventually the wasteland will periodically spawn radiated zombies eventually I think that would be the perfect thing for that biome 

They have the mutated guy at least right now but he is relatively easy to kill.  :p

9 hours ago, dcsobral said:

So, stealth seems broken. All padded armor, moving around crouched at night with all the books and a point in From The Shadows but I can't through a single room in a tier 2 POI without disturbing zombies. Even wrenching inconvenient lights beforehand. I'll take it for granted that this will be looked into but meanwhile...

Can we get rid of the need for a person to be crouched to get the sneak attack bonus? Crouching helps avoid detection, but if the zombie has not detected you then you shouldn't be penalized for not being crouched. It's not like there's any bonus to hitting an aware zombie while crouched. Reward the act of sneaking, not the mechanic of crouching.

In my 4 games of A20B238 thus far I have had all padded and 1 point Shadows and 0-2 book perks and have been able to complete many poi's (day and night not questing, and day and night quests) without waking ANY z's.  Even axing any trash piles before I step on them.  Have even removed doors with axe or pickaxe.   Most of the time weapon is primitive bow, or if lucky, a suppressed rifle.  Although there does seem to be a few poi's that have 'trip' points that wake up all remaining z's.  (Spoiler: Roof mid point of cabinet maker could be one.) 

Have also had regular wolves and DIRE wolves not see me from 2 blocks away at night.  (The first time with a dire I almost... - cuz I only had bow and club.  Just kept backing up and 7 headshots later, 35 meat.)

Have also started very near towns and been attacked by dog(s).  Always seemed to be a doghouse nearby.  Also have been attacked by a regular wolf late in the first day.

Still nothing is a s scary (for me) when I am out and about (with no vehicle - and almost no buildings nearby) when 2 bears (could swear once was non-z versions of bears) and a pack of dogs shows up...

On 12/21/2021 at 1:47 PM, JoeDaFrogman said:

I have generated well over 600+ worlds in the past 2 weeks.  You are doing something wrong.  Open a dedicated thread with you exact steps(leave nothing out) and we can get you sorted.  

i figured it out i didnt notice the World generation seed. section 

Some feedback, I think dysentery should be removed and it be replaced with another food poisoning mechanic, maybe even just straight up lowering health on raw food consumption. The items that cure dysentery in this state of game, well the cure just feels like it's a useless benefit currently. 

And I also have a question, is random world gen faster if the game runs on SSD?

11 hours ago, dcsobral said:

I haven't had this issue. For me they jump out at you but if you hide far enough away they still don't see you. I will test more.

15 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Pretty sure it's 25 vs 30 or 35. Dire wolves definitely give less than bears (50).

That's correct, I was going to edit it, but I was playing 7d2d.  :)

Currently, I get 30, 42 and 60 meat from wolves, dire wolves and bears because of my perks.

10 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Dog weaker, boar aggro on sight, it all balances out.  Madmole has been stealth buffing the bear as well, and that thing is a holy terror, I got absolutely shredded by one while wearing almost full steel armor with an autoshotgun. I *did* die one of my only deaths to a stupid dire wolf too

The bear will probably be my character's death, that or something in the wastelands!  But doing fine so far with my fifth dead-is-dead character at day 49. 

A20 is a tougher game and I'm hyped on it again!

Every morning before I leave the fort I walk around my walls looking for bears, wolves or any other thing that's a potential threat.  I got a full row of meat in a chest (and over a full row of meat stew) because of my morning routine!  :)

More feedback on A20 so far, there's something wrong with the traders. It seems like the game world is more fun without them currently. Just exploring the wilderness. The quests give too much reward I'd say.

1 minute ago, Aldranon said:

The bear will probably be my character's death, that or something in the wastelands!  But doing fine so far with my fifth dead-is-dead character at day 49. 

A20 is a tougher game and I'm hyped on it again!

Every morning before I leave the fort I walk around my walls looking for bears, wolves or any other thing that's a potential threat.  I got a full row of meat in a chest (and over a full row of meat stew) because of my morning routine!  :)

You playing Permadeath too? That seems the most fun way to go solo. I'm running everything nightmare speed with daytime running and 300% ai damage to make it extra fun.

23 hours ago, Roland said:

Depends on when you started playing most likely.  To me, the game is still firmly on the RPG end of the spectrum compared to when I first started. 

To someone who started in the last few alphas, some of the changes may seem like a trend towards FPS, but to me it is just a small fluctuation and one that will probably continue until the devs settle on the exact mixture they want for this hybrid genre busting game. 

I would say the game has progressed towards more action rather than survival focus. Which is not entirely bad, it does make it more accessible. Progression still is super fast though, hundreds of rounds of ammo day 1-2 along with pipe weapons.

Still with the view it's a Tower Defense game, I really do hope next alpha actually focuses on that and gives us a bunch more trap types to use. We've essentially had the same traps now for years with no new additions, even some that were eagerly anticipated back in A16-A17 like fire turret, piston crusher and what have you.  Adding a few more trap types at the very least would be greatly in line with being a tower defense game ambition :) Just look at Night Of The Dead which has a huge number of traps, and while the overall game is nowhere near as good as 7DTD, that aspect is a huge draw as people love making traps :)

Archived