Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

I am close to a trader, adjacent POI and have fallen through the floor into a cave like structure underneath the building. The hole is above me but as I am so close to the trader it will not allow me to place a block or destroy any to get back up.

How do I escape my dilemma ?

4 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

I am close to a trader, adjacent POI and have fallen through the floor into a cave like structure underneath the building. The hole is above me but as I am so close to the trader it will not allow me to place a block or destroy any to get back up.

Of all escape mechanisms, death is the most efficient

6 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

Wait until night then you’ll get kicked out. Best option until a fix is made if you can’t go into god mode.

Want to make farming even harder?  Make it so that if the temperature drops below 32 all the crops die.  Unless they are close to campfires to keep them warm... But then better watch out for all those screamers that will get attracted!

🥶

32 minutes ago, Roland said:

Maybe the choice could be given at the respawn screen instead of at the top menu. Players could choose to Continue the Struggle or Start Refreshed. That way if they felt they were in an inescapable loop they could choose the Start Refreshed option which would be what we have right now. Continue the Struggle would just maintain all stats you had at the time of unconsciousness so you wouldn't have to try and figure out which debuffs might be too punishing. It would be the player's choice to keep trying to recover or give up.

That is an awesome idea. But what if you die of infection? It can be done like you said but I would suggest recovering from infection a little bit after waking up IF you died from it of course,. If player didn't die of infection then keep it as is.

And there is another problem, what if you have 5 crits plus bleeding plus no food and water? You'll get little health on respawn and you will also die almost instantly. What if you ate glass?

The best way is having the option to die, lose experience and delete just the bleeding, burning and reduce infection if it's 100%.

It's not difficult to program an option that clears just bleeding/burning and substracts infection if 100%. The rest of the debuffs can be ported to the respawn easily, even food and water at 0  are viable if you drink from a lake.

26 minutes ago, Star69 said:

Wait until night then you’ll get kicked out. Best option until a fix is made if you can’t go into god mode.

I would love to see the Trader Exclusion zone made a little smaller. It can be frustrating not being able to harvest items that are outside the perimeter but still inside the Trader Zone.

2 hours ago, Aldranon said:

This might be a good compromise for me.  I could pretend the new character happened across the dead characters base.

Lol I've rationalized deaths like this on a non perma-death play through by setting delete everything on death and not placing a bedroll. My "new" guy always just happens to find a really nice unoccupied survivor base every time! He also always seems equally as skilled as the last guy.. 🤔

@madmole there is a way to make a decent respawn option :

Clear every debuff but respawn with no food, no water and just 25% of your total health PLUS fixed 50% experience loss with cap at 100%,  that means up to a whole level in red (if you keep dying).

That way Nobody would die to cure their gangrene.

I find it ridiculously lenient right now. 

1 hour ago, Frost78 said:

I would love to see the Trader Exclusion zone made a little smaller. It can be frustrating not being able to harvest items that are outside the perimeter but still inside the Trader Zone.

I think it's to stop players building next to the trader and using the trader as a shield / building a walk way that goes up and over the trader's compound

Bigger issue to me is you can't place your land claim block near a trader so I always accidentally put my house too close to the traders

17 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

@madmole there is a way to make a decent respawn option :

Clear every debuff but respawn with no food, no water and just 25% of your total health PLUS fixed 50% experience loss with cap at 100%,  that means up to a whole level in red (if you keep dying).

That way Nobody would die to cure their gangrene.

I find it ridiculously lenient right now. 

IMO the issue isn't that TFP can't figure out how to make death more punishing. It's more of a Goldilocks problem. Too lenient isn't ideal, but you can still enjoy the game. Too hard and it wrecks the whole experience. Agreed that the death system does need more work, but I won't be surprised if they hold off pending a few rounds of polish and all major features introduced (bandits, special infected, legendary weapons if those are still coming, etc.)

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well honestly it just can't be true because a some things are not or small value - broken glass ( better to  smelt sand that looting glass) , acid (except chemistry station everything else is better to buy or find ) or testosterone. Btw "Everything in loot is valuable all the time" is just bad- they just put leather in so many receptures so makes in cringe. 

I didn't say they reached that target or even that it has to be reached **perfectly**.

And obviously value depends on what you do, so someone not making a farm will have no use for seeds. I remember we were often looking for acid in A19 for the wheels. And calling acid useless when someone in the post directly before you even had to patch the game because he was desperately looking for acid doesn't speak for great timing on your part 😁

8 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I didn't say they reached that target or even that it has to be reached **perfectly**.

And obviously value depends on what you do, so someone not making a farm will have no use for seeds. I remember we were often looking for acid in A19 for the wheels. And calling acid useless when someone in the post directly before you even had to patch the game because he was desperately looking for acid doesn't speak for great timing on your part 😁

In A18 i coudn't find beaker anywhere on map. When i was playing in next map i found it few times 🤪

31 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

I think it's to stop players building next to the trader and using the trader as a shield / building a walk way that goes up and over the trader's compound

The trader zone is from max ceiling to bedrock. If shrunk to one block surrounding the trader walls this still wouldn't be an issue.

@faatal : I and some other people are having problems with the video settings because they're now restricted on some systems because of supposedly low RAM.

In A19 I could set full textures for objects without any issues. Is it possible to bypass the auto-setting in some way? Thanks :yo:

4 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

The trader zone is from max ceiling to bedrock. If shrunk to one block surrounding the trader walls this still wouldn't be an issue.

I think the problem could be more related to MP games. They want to stop anyone from building a "gateway" base to the trader, limiting access to other players.

5 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I think the problem could be more related to MP games. They want to stop anyone from building a "gateway" base to the trader, limiting access to other players.

Makes sense. Maybe then there should be a wider exclusion zone for building and a smaller indestructible zone.

Although, even a wider zone won't solve this mp problem. It would just require more resources to build.

What's the deal with the concrete decal blocks and not being able to place blocks on them?  Kinda takes away from the building aspect of the game. 

Downside to the shape menu; we can't XPath the individual shapes that are seemingly created at runtime.  Hm. 

I'm currently on day 12 on a 10k map. I don't know why I didn't check until now, but I spawned at the very Southeast corner - 400 meters south is the shoreline, and about 500 meters to the east is the other shoreline. There are a total of 5 towns in my area, and all of them are full of houses, trailer parks, mobile homes, junk yards, and a few warehouses - no industrial, commercial, or downtown districts. After spending three days on my bicycle peddling around (uncovering these towns along the way) I've noticed that the only road leading out of this isolated pocket goes through the wasteland. A snow biome is nearby as well, and after spending a day travelling through it - peddling across open plains, scouting on top of mountains - I can see nothing in the distance.

In summary, this seed is a total bust (you can't win them all, I guess), so... I seriously feel like restarting. Lol. Hopefully the next time I'll be able to explore much more of what A20 has to offer.

53 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

@faatal : I and some other people are having problems with the video settings because they're now restricted on some systems because of supposedly low RAM.

In A19 I could set full textures for objects without any issues. Is it possible to bypass the auto-setting in some way? Thanks :yo:

Sorry, but there is no way to override that code.

How much VRAM do you/they have?

29 minutes ago, faatal said:

Sorry, but there is no way to override that code.

How much VRAM do you/they have?

I think most of us are around 3GB VRAM.

But regardless I can't understand why we could use the High texture detail settings for objects in A19 and it worked! :confused2:

48 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

What's the deal with the concrete decal blocks and not being able to place blocks on them?  Kinda takes away from the building aspect of the game. 

Downside to the shape menu; we can't XPath the individual shapes that are seemingly created at runtime.  Hm. 

I found out that the decals are not simply decals... you can destroy them like blocks: after that you'll be able to build there! :)

15 minutes ago, gcomerfo said:

Trader Joel is trolling me on the quest reward options...  I can choose 4 Herbal antibiotics - Orrrrrr, (dun-dun, dun)  2 Herbal antibiotics.  ??  Hmmm

What a jerk!  I'm guessing it's a bug, but, then I wonder maybe it was on purpose. 

joel.jpg

Well, the first four will expire in just a few days... :biggrin1:

Archived