Whats next, Alpha 20, or a Beta 1?

Rabbitslovecactus

this is not an argument ...

beta "generally" follows all new content additions and initial bug fixes.. "generally does not imply" " a hard coded chiseled in stone rule" regardless what some may say... the development rules are day by day as far as the fun pimps have shown.

hope this helps :)

1 hour ago, Junuxx said:

Could be both at the same time A20 == B1. Same way an experimental build can be declared to be stable without any additional changes.

But as was said, there are still pieces missing.  Those pieces still need to be done enough to be put in and then tested.  We're still in alpha for a while, not that the label matters.

I read this in Empyrion's news feed

Today is the day: we are leaving Early Access, starting into the post-Alpha development phase.

This means:

1. We have removed the Alpha-tag from the build number, as this term was tied to the Early Access phase.
  2. The version will now read 1.x instead of 13.x or 14.x etc. This had to happen as well to make a clear cut.
  3. Everything beyond that, development and refinement of features will stay pretty much the same.

They are just labels. It doesn't really matter if it is called A20 or B1 since regardless of what they call it development will stay pretty much the same. The important thing is that development is continuing and the game is improving. "Early Access" is a sort of protection that allows developers the leeway of releasing builds that are WIP because that is the expectation of people who actually understand what Early Access means. Remove that label and TFP will be subject to criticism based on expectations of a game that is practically done and there will be even less patience with undone portions of the game. If you look at the difference in criticism between people who understand what Early Access is and those who don't (or who don't believe it is real) there is a huge difference in outrage level between them.

It's just like Experimental vs Stable. When the game gets the stable label you will see critics come out of the woodwork lambasting the developers for bugs that in their expectations were forgivable during experimental but deplorable during stable. The devs will just keep doing what they are doing now regardless of the change in status.

During the Pre-A19 dev streams, which I really hope they do again for A20, they mentioned things they wanted to do in the next couple Alphas.  So my understanding is A20 is a given, and probalby an A21. 

For me, I am really, really, REALLY hoping that water (which was mentioned) will get its rework in A20.  Especially if we can get flowing water... would make for some interesting moats and river defense strategies.

3 hours ago, Sydious said:

I would be SHOCKED if this game goes into Beta stage prior to the game hitting the 10 year mark.

I would be PLEASED if this game continues to get free major updates every six months until hitting the 10 year mark. What an amazing value. 

4 hours ago, Roland said:

I would be PLEASED if this game continues to get free major updates every six months until hitting the 10 year mark. What an amazing value. 

My copy is currently valued at 0.31 cents per hour (yes, one third of a penny).

Hopefully the game stays at the alpha stage for several more years/updates. (Decent) bandits, a meaningful weather system, area scaling, better spawning, RWG, animations (?) and more... I think at least 3-4 updates are in order before the game feels like a 1.0, before it gets labeled as such.

8 hours ago, Roland said:

I actually fear the day it goes gold. The exploring of new things will surely be missed. Well at least there is a ton of mods for this game. I wait with modding the game for it´s release not only because trying all the mods every alpha takes longer than a new alpha but also because i know i will miss having a new version every few months. (Nitrogen and compopack beeing the exception here)

Other than that, there is more than enough premature releases in the gaming industry so far. Rather have a another 3 years of alpha than a bugfest.

Beta testing is normally a short period of time when select users test the 99-100% completed product.

The User Acceptance Testing is the final step-by-step walk through of the product before the users sign the last contract, ending all further commitments not stipulated in other contracts. 

So, Beta is Short and Sweet.

However, most gamer's will be sad when we reach that point... Unless they reveal the New York City game with limited use of voxels (clearing a collapsed section of a subway tunnel.)  AND use of ziplines between building(s edit) because street level and below is pure hell!

😉

On 8/15/2020 at 8:25 AM, Rabbitslovecactus said:

What do you guys think the Fun Pimps will do? 

Cheers!

A20 as its already been announced. (Vehicle+mods update! Yeet!)
Main Story quests are also supposed to be landing in A20 or 21.
They also said they are aiming for gold release about 2nd or 3rd quarter next year if all goes well. (AKA, 2 years+)
They still have some development they want to do in regards to adding new items and balance but, they are done with the big, long streaks of no updates. :D
I personally cannot wait for more optimizations so I can play the game on full GFX for once. x'D

Archived