I hate the shringking circle around the burried treasure

Tahaan

It always depends. If the buried treasure is buried on flat ground it is very easy.

On the other hand, if it is in the side of a hill or mountain, you have to search for a while. Therefore some players hate these quests. Especially if they have no patience.

I have no problem unless they are deep in water and that is fixed in A19.  Patience does not come in when it takes me literally not even two minutes to find it.  I think the fun pimps put this in because people just can't use the already super easy hints.

Now what would be cool is if you could once in a bluemoon just find one of them while mining... And then there be a chance of it exploding or do something nasty so you have to decide whether you chance opening it or not.  

Hey new guy, my inventory is full, can you loot this chest here for us please....

As long as I can mod the feature out (which I assume it is), I don't care. I get wanting to cater to different player styles and to want to give more casual players  options to make it easier. To each, their own.

okay... call me crazy... but it isn't in the middle of that "circle"*... is it?
Like... if you drive away far enough and come back, that "circle" has changed again. And it is always "kinda" in the middle, but never directly.
I'm not a HUGE fan of the shrinking circle (I think it should shrink steadily with each hit and by a lot less that it does now) but I do like the idea behind it! Digging up a 5x5x2 isn't the most pleasant thing to spend the day, even if you use the checkered digging method.

*with circle I mean that circle where it shows you "nearby" it is a 10 block diameter but it isn't at 0,0

In my experience, they're always in the middle. I always measure the diameter of the search area with frames, then I dig right at the center of it. Within a minute, I've already got the supplies.

I don't mind the circle, tbh. If I'm already measuring the circle with wood frames in A18, might as well show it and avoid wasting time.

Maybe they changed something in A19 because it is rarely in the center. The circle shrinks towards it as you dig. I didn’t think I would like it but after playing with it, it actually makes the buried supplies and treasures a more enjoyable activity. 

As @Xtrakicking mentioned the circle is simply a shortcut to what we do with frames anyway. Now you get right to digging with a gentle hot/cold mini game added to the mix to keep you from going the totally wrong direction for too long. 

I like it. We were always using wood frames to mark the edges anyways, so that's just one less thing to do. Not too fond of the circle shrinking every 10 blocks though, but it might just not make that much of an actual difference anyways.

By the way, a good technique is digging out a sort of "chess grid", 2 blocks down. You'll either dig on top of the chest and see it underneath, or you'll dig right next to it and it will show from the side - the chest creates a "hole" in adjacent blocks. Basically cuts the workload in half.

6 hours ago, Roland said:

I rarely find it in A19 before the circle shrinks and sometimes it shrinks twice. It is NOT always in the middle of the circle any longer.

That changes things.  Because in A18 if I don't find it in the center it is because I didn't measure properly.

Thank you for that!

I hate the whole look of the new icons. A circle just appearing in the world? Why would you ruin an immersive game with arcade like way markers? I just hope there is either an option to switch to a not so bright and ugly way or it can be modded out.

42 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I hate the whole look of the new icons. A circle just appearing in the world? Why would you ruin an immersive game with arcade like way markers? I just hope there is either an option to switch to a not so bright and ugly way or it can be modded out.

Yeah... there were better ways to go about it, but oh well.

I do agree about their arcade look. We aren’t wearing a visor with a HUD that could overlay the terrain with such read outs and displays. 

But then that also applies to food and health bars, stealth bars, xp counters, digital clock and day counters, a compass display with virtual markers integrated into it....pretty much everything that displays on the main game page. 

So in for a penny in for a pound....

Well then let´s add the damage numbers flying trough the air also? Ofc there is other things on screen, would be pretty hard to play without any information. And i actually don´t mind better indicators, just a lot more decent maybe? 

But apparently it can be turned off? A 3 hour video is a bit too long for me right now.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I do agree about their arcade look. We aren’t wearing a visor with a HUD that could overlay the terrain with such read outs and displays. 

But then that also applies to food and health bars, stealth bars, xp counters, digital clock and day counters, a compass display with virtual markers integrated into it....pretty much everything that displays on the main game page. 

So in for a penny in for a pound....

Interesting. For so long Pimps were against on screen indicators like food and water, I remember MM specifically speaking on immersion and less screen clutter.

Do you have any insight as to why they always feel the need to be so extreme in their decisions? A middle ground approach would have been welcome, but it seems like they have two modes, off and beast mode lol. Its all or nothing and it isn't just the ui but also subtle other changes since 16. Remember we didnt have lots of ui elements at one point now they all seemed to have returned with a vengeance and then some.

Yeah, I don’t know. Maybe at some point they will alter it along with the exclamation mark rally points. Until then I do have to admit that the functionality of it is a welcome addition to digging quests. It really does make them more fun and less tedious even if aesthetically it ruins the immersion factor. 

As for the rest of the on-screen icons all they need to do is allow interaction functionality when F7 is pressed and that would be perfect for playing cinematically.  If they added that then I wouldn’t car if they added another dozen bars and indicators to the screen. 

On 6/15/2020 at 7:33 AM, Tahaan said:

How hard is this. You approach form one of the cardinal directions until it says "Nearby" and then you step 10 meters forward, then dig down 2 blocks.  This is already too easy!

I usually nail it within 5 or 6 blocks. Sounds like you do as well. Since this isn't an issue for you, well...

I am having a hard time understanding how this honestly affects you in any measurable way. lol

21 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Absolutely agree. This looks primitive, immersion-breaking and just fits more arcade type of games, instead of exploration games like 7d.

16 hours ago, JaxTeller718 said:

Interesting. For so long Pimps were against on screen indicators like food and water, I remember MM specifically speaking on immersion and less screen clutter.

Do you have any insight as to why they always feel the need to be so extreme in their decisions? A middle ground approach would have been welcome, but it seems like they have two modes, off and beast mode lol. Its all or nothing and it isn't just the ui but also subtle other changes since 16. Remember we didnt have lots of ui elements at one point now they all seemed to have returned with a vengeance and then some.

That's interesting. Do you imply that devs are actually salty, and do this and 3d markers to spite their fanbase? This... actually is quite possible scenario.

I would redesign that whole digging quest anyways.

Make the quest mark the exact spot for the chest (marker on the ground), but place the chest deeper. The deeper, the higher the difficulty is.

When the player opens the chest, spawn more zombies than currently.

This will make the player think about how to escape more (build a ladder) or better ramp out.

This quest-design would remove the need for awkward onscreen markers, and also the tedious digging around (not fun).

It would be more about planning how to defend against zombies that will spawn.

Archived