Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

15 hours ago, EggsAisle said:

Very nice! I wish we had fountains or statues or hedges or something to spruce up courtyards a bit, mine always look like this too. Probably not really what you'd be focusing on in the zombie apocalypse, but it's fun to imagine. 

Minor historical detail if you care: real-life crenelations are much higher. The idea is that you can step behind one of the taller ones and be fully protected from incoming fire while you reload your crossbow or whatever. I can understand leaving them short, though, because it completely wrecks the view from the tower and it's not like the zombies are shooting at you.

...actually, come to think of it, since most zombies just run up and pound on the wall, higher crenelations make it *more* difficult to protect your castle, since you can't shoot down very well. So I guess if you want a more "realistic" look you go with the higher fortifications, or keep them low if you're actually defending in-game. 😀

Yeah, higher crenellations look so much cooler tbh, but I was worried about it all falling down hehe. I have the wall hanging over so I can shoot down on the zombies for defence. Tbh though, I'm not too fond of the gatehouse bit. I will make that a bit taller in my proper build with the wall lowered that branch to the towers. The towers I plan to make higher too. I'm going to make a spike moat too hehe so them damn zombies don't break it lol

7 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Erm. Sorry.. I have to since you can build them in 7d2d, but... MACHICOLATIONS!!!! :D :D:D:D 🤣

For reference:

Edit: @Toban looking closer at the following I do believe you actually have included them in your design. SWEET!

251570_screenshots_20200805184305_1.jpg

Yes I have mate lol. A few more pics of the defence for a closer look.

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture2.PNG

4 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

so increasing difficulty just makes zombies hit like trucks and nerfs your damage into the ground which then makes the zombies bullets sponges. yeah they really need to put player and zombie damage into their own adjustable options.

You can mod them to be what you want them to be.

8 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

so increasing difficulty just makes zombies hit like trucks and nerfs your damage into the ground which then makes the zombies bullets sponges. yeah they really need to put player and zombie damage into their own adjustable options.

maybe, I like being a brave mother #$^&*@ though.

Always down for more options 😄

1 minute ago, Toban said:

Beautiful. The kid and I are drooling over your fort design and making plans for stable. Might just stick to a "simple" keep at first and then expand from there. :D 

Just now, hiemfire said:

Beautiful. The kid and I are drooling over your fort design and making plans for stable. Might just stick to a "simple" keep at first and then expand from there. :D 

That sounds like a plan! Have fun with it, I am skeptical of another horde night in a castle after what happened to me and Toban before... Our dungeon was full of zombies because they were digging in from the hillside 😛😅🙈🧟‍♂️

2 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Thank you. Yeah, I'm doing the same. I'm just in creative trying out different designs till stable drops. And yeah, I always do the same and make a little base to begin with hehe. The castles take so long to make safe lol.

2 minutes ago, Laynie said:

That sounds like a plan! Have fun with it, I am skeptical of another horde night in a castle after what happened to me and Toban before... Our dungeon was full of zombies because they were digging in from the hillside 😛😅🙈🧟‍♂️

Yeah, first and last castle on the hill to fight zombies in haha. Was fun though, not so fun watching the castle fall but...still fun.

33 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Heres my Bus depot!

Hide contents

Yes it trash!B20E645F6C770E9BDB5300D365C720A4A2EB94A0

That looks pretty good.  The janitor/mechanic looks great next to it too. 😅

18 minutes ago, Toban said:

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Great murder holes!!!  That farm just makes it so warm and inviting...😅

5 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

That looks pretty good.  The janitor/mechanic looks great next to it too. 😅

Great murder holes!!!  That farm just makes it so warm and inviting...😅

I love the neat look farm lol.

4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Happy Friday Everybody!  Since so many cool castles have been shared recently, I figured I would try my hand at making one finally.  Although its still a work in progress I wanted to share what I have so far.  @madmole Used your tower design for my round towers. :)

This castle is inspired by Chillon Castle in Switzerland.

Castle 05.jpg

A19.0_2020-08-07_10-27-37.jpg

How long did this take, @Laz Man ?

4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Happy Friday Everybody!  Since so many cool castles have been shared recently, I figured I would try my hand at making one finally.  Although its still a work in progress I wanted to share what I have so far.  @madmole Used your tower design for my round towers. :)

This castle is inspired by Chillon Castle in Switzerland.

Castle 05.jpg

A19.0_2020-08-07_10-27-37.jpg

You should take some shots or a video of the inside. I'd love to see what you've done with it. Side note, how did you get that smoke? I'm jealous lol 

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Yea, such a gun expert but know so little as to still call a magazine a clip... me calls foul.

Yeah, k.. Sometimes when i'm pissed off and typing, I may mix terms up, like calling a >detachable< magazine (because there are several things that are magazines.) a clip, such as what you load a M1-Garand with vs what you load a AK variant with.

I call a pointless terminology nerd.

23 minutes ago, Laynie said:

How long did this take, @Laz Man ?

I started it roughly last week when Toban and MM posted their castle pics.  Built it in the prefab editor 100%.

16 minutes ago, Toban said:

You should take some shots or a video of the inside. I'd love to see what you've done with it. Side note, how did you get that smoke? I'm jealous lol 

I will share more soon.  The interior is mostly empty right now.  The main 1st courtyard is about 90% complete though. 

Check your creative/dev menu and type "chimney" i think.

9 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I started it roughly last week when Toban and MM posted their castle pics.  Built it in the prefab editor 100%.

I will share more soon.  The interior is mostly empty right now.  The main 1st courtyard is about 90% complete though. 

Check your creative/dev menu and type "chimney" i think.

Awesome, I can't wait to see the inside and courtyard. And thanks for info on the chimney, I didn't know it was in there hehe

3 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

the problem with taking out the nerd polling is that it might directly effect building, some people i have watched lay out the whole building they wanna build then upgrade, it would make it so u have to upgrade a block then jump on it to place the next set, nerd polling would remain just slightly more resources used, it would be a builders nightmare i think, then again i could be wrong given i dont know the difference of stacking blocks to build or jumping on blocks

Taking out nerd poling would only screw the builders, people who want to fast track to loot rooms can build ladders, stairs etc and still cheese all day.

While I've no idea how much work it takes to do any of this, I keep thinking that there are a number of different Bear specie, and while they vary in size significantly, their general appearance, other than color, is quite similar.

So what if there were Black Bears, Brown Bears (what's in game) & Polar Bears. Maybe even Cubs.

Green Forest mostly Black Bears. Roughly half the size of Brown Bears. Could ramp difficulty with 'mother and her cubs', or mix in more Browns.

Snow would get Polar bears of course.

Wasteland has Zombie bears.

Possibly Zombie Black bears for Burnt Forest, and maybe a lighter pelt on those for the Desert? "Blonde" Black bears are a real thing and that'd let them blend into the desert, similar to the Cougar.

Just thinking that, maybe, this wouldn't be weeks of work, and it would seem to support the future intent of making the tougher biomes tougher, and add some variance to animal dangers.

Edit: having smaller Black bears (or cubs) might mean they could fit through normal doors, so would increase their danger lvl, even if they might have less HPs.

3 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

Yeah, they all stink..

I wonder about the flood of pissed off players that are going to have something to say, when they finally load up the "stable" version and find out about all these changes.

What changes? From what I've read everyone loves A19. Any drastic changes are long behind us. People who like 18 love 19, am I right?

3 hours ago, Toban said:

Here is my latest castle I'm working on. I have built this with only blocks the player can make so I can make one similar when the game goes stable.  Still a work in progress, but I'm just trying things atm.

251570_screenshots_20200805184313_1.jpg

251570_screenshots_20200805184305_1.jpg

Looking good. I think you sould raise those two towers higher than the gate house though, and it would look a lot nicer.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived