Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

18 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

not sure why you guys are trying to fight it, MM has already said it's happening cause it has value and minecraft even has the setting. If this just adult minecraft as it is described by many then why wouldn't it also have that option. I think adding game mods is an alpha thing, am I wrong?

Are you guys against the idea of horde arena too? Not sure if thats what its called but if you've been playing long enough and watch the dev videos you'll know what I'm talking about.

no he's right, its just your guys hostility towards the things I think are important in the game have created hostility towards what you think is important. I've also always wanted better things for 7 days. I didn't think we'd end up here and this would be the end product. The way I play which is my choice is the way I would have liked the game to be. More options isn't a bad thing, it adds to replay value.

You really need to grow up. 

Or make a Styx Dream`s thread, so you can get the attention and ideas that can prove that you can actually contribute with ideas, not repetitive critics. 

Implementing something by repeating is useless in 2020. 

11 hours ago, faatal said:

I don't know the details of what works or not currently. Just guessing. I have not touched that code and the creator is probably one of the programmers no longer with TFP. Like many features, it needs to be tested and reevaluated someday when someone has time.

Awesome.  That makes sense.  Definitely not a high priority, just more in the extreme nuisance category. 

Well, for normal people that is.  For me it's a constant irritation like nails on a chalk board with sand in your bathing suit while standing on a fire ant mound.  But I never claimed to be any version of sane.

Thank you for answering. :)  The cookies/rum/skittles offer still stands though for whenever it is fixed. 

I'm sure I am not the only one who thinks the amount of stone and bone tools is not only unnecessary, but also very very unrealistic. I mean the it is now there are hundreds of people who built stone tools. It is just annoying. I am really not a fan of this loot-based-on-day system. Maybe you already overthought this, but I didn't read it in the last update-notes.

Just now, Zephanyah said:

I'm sure I am not the only one who thinks the amount of stone and bone tools is not only unnecessary, but also very very unrealistic. I mean the it is now there are hundreds of people who built stone tools. It is just annoying. I am really not a fan of this loot-based-on-day system. Maybe you already overthought this, but I didn't read it in the last update-notes.

Once you start playing the game you will realize you don't have the stamina to use iron or stone tools anyway, so looting them early wouldn't help.

8 minutes ago, Zephanyah said:

It may not be realistic but the game needs some progression so you're not instantly using mid- or late-game items.

4 minutes ago, rubens9311 said:

it's my turn:

When
This
Done

:D 

Hey, I'm an optimist.  Plus, today has been so poopy already that something good has to happen today ... it's the law of averages.

Can't blame a girl for asking.

2 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I usually play without any armor or clothes -- until I need to go grocery shopping.

Grocery delivery ... no clothes required.  But select the leave at your door option, otherwise the poor delivery person will get a shock.

6 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

They must do whats fun for US, or the game is lost..(and they are out of a job) Fixed that for you...

You are not "us."  Also drop the "realism" arguments. If you think something is too tanky or too hard just say so. Don't hide behind weak arguments like "realism." It diminishes the point you are trying to make that you don't find the HP added to the bears to be fun.

24 minutes ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

You are not "us."  Also drop the "realism" arguments. If you think something is too tanky or too hard just say so. Don't hide behind weak arguments like "realism." It diminishes the point you are trying to make that you don't find the HP added to the bears to be fun.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I'm going to say that I like the modifications to the predator animals.  And I even like the really big, really angry, bears.  Well ... when they're not busy chewing off my face.  I have a fun time watching them aggro on the zombies and it's great entertainment watching snow zombie vs grizzly bear.  Then I just shoot whoever wins while they're still wounded.

Although I do wish there was more of a visual difference between the dire wolf and the regular wolf ... now that the regular wolf is the same color and nearly the same size, it's led to some very unpleasant surprises.  Maybe make the dire wolf more on a size with the new bear size.

Okay, after thinking about it, I have to amend that to MOST of the modifications.  Vultures are the exception.  They are ridiculous.  There really should be a limit to how far a non-horde night vulture will follow you.  And something needs to be done about their vulture phone calling plan, because they call up all of their little buddies to follow you too.  I mean, I get that most of their meals are other zombies, and a bird could get pretty tired of that ... and I get that I am probably the vulture version of a t-bone steak with all the fixings ... but they just should not be willing to follow you for half a game day.  At some point they should get tired and go find something else to eat.  I get that horde night vultures are buffed into the Arnold Schwarzenegger version of themselves ... but the ordinary ones shouldn't be such a giant pain in the caboose.  (And yes, I know.  Some people absolutely love the vultures.  You can have all of mine too ... come get them.)

1 hour ago, Goncyn said:

Can anyone expand on this? Does that mean any partial block that you rotate out of its "simple" alignment gets a durability penalty?

iirc, faatal said that zombies would do 6x damage to any block if the pathing decision determined it was stuck. poles were being discussed by others at the time so the myth was born

14 hours ago, Kattla said:

Bears? Nothing a wooden club and some cheesecake can't handle.

Video is not publicly listed for 1 simple reason. It was a terrible edit. I tried to shorten it by speeding it up, but then the audio went out of sync. I could reupload it, but nah.

Still shows what a wooden club can do though. And, i kinda hinted in A15 i would use a club vs bear in a later alpha too, so, now i've done that.

That was awesome, bravo.  I like how the bear was able to attack you still but you "rode" him like a champ LOL...

59 minutes ago, Zephanyah said:

Maybe all the stone tools you find were made by a single survivor who lived back in the days of A15 spam crafting.

36 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Although I do wish there was more of a visual difference between the dire wolf and the regular wolf ... now that the regular wolf is the same color and nearly the same size

*waiting for a dev to tell her she's blind and its fine like my response from them would be*

Happy Friday Everybody!  Since so many cool castles have been shared recently, I figured I would try my hand at making one finally.  Although its still a work in progress I wanted to share what I have so far.  @madmole Used your tower design for my round towers. :)

This castle is inspired by Chillon Castle in Switzerland.

Castle 05.jpg

A19.0_2020-08-07_10-27-37.jpg

3 hours ago, STyK_ said:

let them take their time, we're going to have to live with this for the next four months to a year and I for one would like to not have random lag spikes. How long have you been here? You should know the answer before you even asked the question.

Since when did they release a Stable version and stop patching??? There are always a a19.1 .2 .3 .4

What a stable version does is allow many of us to start playing without worrying about a map wipe.

1 minute ago, Laz Man said:

Happy Friday Everybody!  Since so many cool castles have been shared recently, I figured I would try my hand at making one finally.  Although its still a work in progress I wanted to share what I have so far.  @madmole Used your tower design for my round towers. :)

Castle 05.jpg

that is a damn good castle, i wish i had the patience to build that much

1 minute ago, STyK_ said:

*waiting for a dev to tell her she's blind and its fine like my response from them would be*

Well, they are certainly able to do that.  I won't argue that I am legally blind without my glasses and almost so with my glasses.

However, since I did not accuse them of being out to get me, did not insult their intelligence, did not claim to be the best player in the entire world, nor did I say that I am playing the game on some ridiculously hard difficulty with a bunch of self imposed restrictions then claim that the game is unbalanced, I expect that they will either read it and not respond at this time or will respond with something showing that they've read my opinion (yes, my personal opinion, stated as such, not intended to be a response for the entire playing community at large) and perhaps additional comments showing that they may or may not have future changes in mind regarding said opinion.

In other words, I expect them to respond like the reasonable people that they are.

3 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Wow.  That is beautiful.

3 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Castle 05.jpg

Nice i tryed to make a bus station and i gave up in 5 Minutes

3 minutes ago, Jim Shoe said:

Since when did they release a Stable version and stop patching??? There are always a a19.1 .2 .3 .4

What a stable version does is allow many of us to start playing without worrying about a map wipe.

yeah like the pathing at the end of A16 where the zeds were running in circles was just patched right? No it was like that till the next alpha.

10 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

yeah like the pathing at the end of A16 where the zeds were running in circles was just patched right? No it was like that till the next alpha.

Yes of course, because one instance where a major overhaul was required while other issues were fixed with patches, completely validates your argument.  Just as one quote from 4 years ago completely validates your arguments regarding player satisfaction.

Not to mention that the company has had a complete overhaul since then and judging them by previous performance when they've made great strides in changing their business model is as unfair as judging the game now against previous alphas.

Life must be very nice on  your planet.  I really wish you'd return there.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived