Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

12 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Yes of course, because one instance where a major overhaul was required while other issues were fixed with patches, completely validates your argument.  Just as one quote from 4 years ago completely validates your arguments regarding player satisfaction.

Life must be very nice on  your planet.  I really wish you'd return there.

Well yeah that's how you default builders seem to like it, only your opinions matter, scare anyone else off. Lets not forget trying to knock down anyone trying to do anything above and beyond or trying to prove a point.

IMO they could take another month if it got rid of the lag spikes.

Personally i like where the game is at, food is manageable if you focus on food very early should luck provide the seeds, tool progression feels nice for being tied to gamestage, now the amount of animals outside of pois feels normal and not overwhelming, heck i wouldnt mind the tool and item gain progression to be slowed down a little bit but doesnt have to be.

One thing i do hope happens though, is that on horde nights the hordes can be made to randomly attack player made blocks, like in my vid clip i posted they are targetting the weakest poing, also making it way to easy to fight them without trying, having random attacks all over the base or to blocks that are player made could make for some interesting and hilarious nights as well as some positive changes, thats about my only gripe so far.

1 minute ago, Zombiepoptard said:

Instead of having separate clothing pieces we should find whole out fits that would specialize in a skill. The armor can still be pieces.

kinda reminds me of diablo 2 legendary gear

5 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Well yeah that's how you default builders seem to like it, only your opinions matter, scare anyone else off. IMO they could take another month if it got rid of the lag spikes.

No, you're absolutely right. 

I, and the others like me, totally rely on past performances of the game, such as previous alphas, as future predictors of where the game is going to go, and don't accept the devs' word that they are making additional changes and are, in fact, already working on another Alpha and trying to get the game stable enough to release as Gold. I don't even rely on referencing a current alpha, such as a18 ... instead using alphas from years ago for my examples.

I also have a goal of forcing the game to be played one way and one way only and frequently impose ridiculous restrictions on myself then threaten to quit playing the game entirely if these ideas are not placed into the current game immediately because I do not have the self control to restrict myself to those self-imposed guidelines. I make frequent, derogatory comments about the devs, the game and any player who has a play style different from mine. 

Oh, wait, that's not me.  I must be thinking of someone else.

Yes, I am a default builder ... and I am not ashamed of the fact.  I enjoy the game as it was designed and I enjoy the game as it is modded to my specifications. I don't try to impose my play style on others and accept that different people have 1) different play styles and 2) different ability levels. 

23 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

Well yeah that's how you default builders seem to like it, only your opinions matter, scare anyone else off. Lets not forget trying to knock down anyone trying to do anything above and beyond or trying to prove a point.

IMO they could take another month if it got rid of the lag spikes.

Other people's opinions matter because they state them politely.

18 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

stuff

you totally left out how everything I suggested would be an option and could be turned off and on and wouldn't even effect you and your default building. If your going to pretend to be someone else get it right.

If I'm insulted I insult back, you do this too, worse then me in fact.

One thing you are right about though, I won't play pvp in its current state and I don't know how they will make it balanced and playable with the things they have done.

47 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Happy Friday Everybody!  Since so many cool castles have been shared recently, I figured I would try my hand at making one finally.  Although its still a work in progress I wanted to share what I have so far.  @madmole Used your tower design for my round towers. :)

This castle is inspired by Chillon Castle in Switzerland.

That, is just awesome. When i see that tiny dock down there, i know the picture just don't do justice to its ingame size. Absolutly mindblowing, well, if i had any mind left after my recent adventures.

1 hour ago, Pegasus said:

Although I do wish there was more of a visual difference between the dire wolf and the regular wolf ... now that the regular wolf is the same color and nearly the same size, it's led to some very unpleasant surprises.  Maybe make the dire wolf more on a size with the new bear size.

We are redoing stuff, the dire wolf might get his own model.

8 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

you totally left out how everything I suggested would be an option and could be turned off and on and wouldn't even effect you and your default building. If your going to pretend to be someone else get it right.

If I'm insulted I insult back, you do this too, worse then me in fact.

Perhaps if you expressed your opinions as opinions and not as gospel fact that must be fixed for all players to enjoy the game, they might be better received.

They also might be better received if they were presented with less vitriol aimed toward Madmole, the other game designers and all players who use cheesy exploits and play the "default" game.

It would also be helpful if you made an example using relevant information. It is no more fair to use reviews and comments about the game from four years ago than it is to compare a current Mustang to an original Model T. The game has evolved and continues to evolve. 

You do have some good ideas, which are being dismissed out of hand because of the way they are presented. Why would a developer take your idea seriously when you start off by saying that you know they're just going to ignore you because they are sucking up to the default builders?  Which, since the default builders are the game's core audience, shouldn't be viewed as a bad thing.

You also have some amazingly bad ideas, which are also dismissed out of hand because of the way they are presented. Someone disagreeing with your premise isn't insulting or attacking you ... but given how some of your ideas are presented and defended, then it shouldn't be a surprise when someone reacts negatively to the comments.

I have already apologized for going over the top in a previous post ... and I won't do so again.  But at some point, when the same thing keeps happening over and over, you might want to consider that possibly, just possibly, you are part of the problem and can be part of the solution.

13 minutes ago, Kattla said:

That, is just awesome. When i see that tiny dock down there, i know the picture just don't do justice to its ingame size. Absolutly mindblowing, well, if i had any mind left after my recent adventures.

Yeah I will share more as it becomes more presentable...  I have alot of detail work to do... :)

58 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Happy Friday Everybody!  Since so many cool castles have been shared recently, I figured I would try my hand at making one finally.  Although its still a work in progress I wanted to share what I have so far.  @madmole Used your tower design for my round towers. :)

Castle 05.jpg

A19.0_2020-08-07_10-27-37.jpg

Very nice! I think you could paint it with stucco and use the orange clay roof tiles for some of the roof towers. One thing that I've been doing lately is making sure the front of the castle is facing the sunset so you can get the amazing lighting at 7 pm or so that really makes a difference in how it looks in screen shots. I'm not sure but if you haven't added any some arrow slots would be a nice touch like int he original. Looks like it was a ton of work, kudos!

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

We are redoing stuff, the dire wolf might get his own model.

Sweet!!! If not done by 19 Stable, if the change is applied (you did say "might"), my wife, daughter and I will have to make sure to try and look at their eyes before we start cussing. Then we'll probably cuss anyways regardless of which type it is, just because that's what we do. :D

7 hours ago, Doctor3D said:

There is no "US" - everyone's idea of fun is different. An artist typically doesn't create something that a fan orders them to, the artist creates something and earns a fan. Nothing wrong with taking in feedback or liking an idea that someone proposes - but at the end of the day - they should make whatever they want to make...otherwise it would sink into a passionless creation that's influenced by only the loudest and without a clear vision.

Seems like thats the direction it's heading. But the problem with your statement is how they are "re" creating the product that I liked and purchased.

I didn't pay to have broken vulture swarms, or all the fun taken out of looting at lower levels.

Seems like Mad and the rest do a lot of listening to the squeaky wheels here instead of the majority.

And there is plenty of group think here as well, that just chirp on about how every change is great and "they" love it. Blerg..

3 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Seems like thats the direction it's heading. But the problem with your statement is how they are "re" creating the product that I liked and purchased.

I didn't pay to have broken vulture swarms, or all the fun taken out of looting at lower levels.

Seems like Mad and the rest do a lot of listening to the squeaky wheels here instead of the majority.

And there is plenty of group think here as well, that just chirp on about how every change is great and "they" love it. Blerg..

Quite the opposite, game is starting to shape up like the original kick starter video promises.  Sorry you fell in love with an alpha/iteration along the way.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Castle 05.jpg

A19.0_2020-08-07_10-27-37.jpg

That's so awesome. You did a great job. 👍

6 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

This is what you purchased:

image.png.8cf411c1240801d2a9480d9c29ab4042.png

Complaining that an Alpha title is changing is like standing outside in a thunderstorm and complaining that you're getting wet.

I'm sorry that you don't like the current development of the game. You can always wait for the next alpha and see what has changed then. Or you can wait for the gold release ... the core content likely won't change much after that.

The devs are uniquely reactive to player input when they don't have to be.  This is their game, they can design it how they wish. They are working to use new technology as it becomes available to make the game better.  Things take time, it's better to make one small change at a time so you can track how it goes than to make a huge sweeping change then have to back it out trying to find what piece of it didn't work.

Having faith in the designers isn't "group think". It's experience from watching this game evolve over many years. 

1 hour ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

You are not "us."  Also drop the "realism" arguments. If you think something is too tanky or too hard just say so. Don't hide behind weak arguments like "realism." It diminishes the point you are trying to make that you don't find the HP added to the bears to be fun.

And you are not me thats true, but when I say "us" thats the players, and you most certainly are "us" whether you like it or not..

And "realism" is not a "weak" argument. It total breaks my immersion to know what kinda damage guns do, I'm a old fart that has shot and owned guns my whole life. You got zombies that take a ton of damage, and can shrug of AK-47 rnds to the body, thats fine.. No suspension of disbelief needed because they are made up to begin with.

But when you throw a "living" grizzly bear in my face, and it still keeps coming after getting shot in the head 20-25 times with the AK that I own a variant of in real life..well that's a different story.

Totally breaks my immersion, because I know it's totally impossible.

So yeah, the broken amount of HP the animals have now is not "fun".

Not too hard or tanky, just not fun.

16 minutes ago, madmole said:

Very nice! I think you could paint it with stucco and use the orange clay roof tiles for some of the roof towers. One thing that I've been doing lately is making sure the front of the castle is facing the sunset so you can get the amazing lighting at 7 pm or so that really makes a difference in how it looks in screen shots. I'm not sure but if you haven't added any some arrow slots would be a nice touch like int he original. Looks like it was a ton of work, kudos!

Thank you!  Yeah, I may give that a try.  I tried the clay roofs and it seemed too clean/modern but only tried it on the front entrance.  I may give that one another go as well.  Some of the textures have a tiling effect which breaks immersion on large surfaces so been experimenting with trim blocks to break it up alittle.

1 minute ago, Pegasus said:

This is what you purchased:

image.png.8cf411c1240801d2a9480d9c29ab4042.png

Complaining that an Alpha title is changing is like standing outside in a thunderstorm and complaining that you're getting wet.

I'm sorry that you don't like the current development of the game. You can always wait for the next alpha and see what has changed then. Or you can wait for the gold release ... the core content likely won't change much after that.

The devs are uniquely reactive to player input when they don't have to be.  This is their game, they can design it how they wish. They are working to use new technology as it becomes available to make the game better.  Things take time, it's better to make one small change at a time so you can track how it goes than to make a huge sweeping change then have to back it out trying to find what piece of it didn't work.

Having faith in the designers isn't "group think". It's experience from watching this game evolve over many years. 

Sorry, this is a Alpha in name only at this point.

Having faith isnt group think, but a >very< small minority of players going on about how they love every broken thing sure sounds like it.

1 minute ago, Demandred1957 said:

Having faith isnt group think, but a >very< small minority of players going on about how they love every broken thing sure sounds like it.

Well, you know what they say about opinions.  :)  And everyone has one.

10 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Quite the opposite, game is starting to shape up like the original kick starter video promises.  Sorry you fell in love with an alpha/iteration along the way.

But at what point is the excuse "it's just a alpha" going to quit being used? 10-20 years from now???

1 minute ago, Demandred1957 said:

Well that's your opinion only.  By the way, you already said your opinion on the direction of the game and how you feel about it in your other thread.  Please don't rehash it in here.  I get your unhappy but many others have already answered all of your questions so either you come up with new questions or coupe with the answers and move on.  

Just now, Pegasus said:

Well, you know what they say about opinions.  :)  And everyone has one.

Yeah, they all stink..

I wonder about the flood of pissed off players that are going to have something to say, when they finally load up the "stable" version and find out about all these changes.

@PegasusI believe this is a forum for decision and debate, in which case everything said from anyone other then the dev is in they're opinion.

IMO if they want to make more sales after the game goes gold there needs to be more. Did you watch the streams on streamer weekend, they all had a hell of a time trying to give away the game because everyone watching has it. How do you make a game more if you can only fill it with so much content. You add options that change the game while keeping it the same for those that already enjoy it. They have already catered to the minecraft crowd so its time to add things that will pull players from different genres. Adding options that add realism and emersion will bring more players.

When you have been saying this for years and shutdown you get saltie and being attacked by the already bought the game minecraft crowd trying to make any suggestions doesn't help.

Edit:The only thing I've got them to change after years of trying is the iron hatch, wasn't my first time suggesting it either.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived