Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

Just now, Demandred1957 said:

But at what point is the excuse "it's just a alpha" going to quit being used? 10-20 years from now???

It's not an excuse, it's the truth, which can be exhibited by the number of changes/revisions the game is still undergoing.  And it will be no longer true once the game enters beta testing and/or is released as Gold. There is no time limit placed on Alpha status.  There's no magic formula that says after 'x' months your game is no longer alpha and you have to release it as it is.

If the game were static and no longer receiving updates, then your premise that it is no longer an Alpha game would be valid.  There are games sitting in "Alpha" status on Steam that haven't had an update in years.  However, when a game is undergoing constant revisions, then that definitely qualifies for Alpha status.  At least in my 'group think' mind.

Just now, Laz Man said:

Well that's your opinion only.  By the way, you already said your opinion on the direction of the game and how you feel about it in your other thread.  Please don't rehash it in here.  I get your unhappy but many others have already answered all of your questions so either you come up with new questions or coupe with the answers and move on.  

Well excuuuse me. having a whole bunch of "it's a alpha" and "well we love it" don't hit me as answers, but whatever.

7 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

And you are not me thats true, but when I say "us" thats the players, and you most certainly are "us" whether you like it or not..

And "realism" is not a "weak" argument. It total breaks my immersion to know what kinda damage guns do, I'm a old fart that has shot and owned guns my whole life. You got zombies that take a ton of damage, and can shrug of AK-47 rnds to the body, thats fine.. No suspension of disbelief needed because they are made up to begin with.

But when you throw a "living" grizzly bear in my face, and it still keeps coming after getting shot in the head 20-25 times with the AK that I own a variant of in real life..well that's a different story.

Totally breaks my immersion, because I know it's totally impossible.

So yeah, the broken amount of HP the animals have now is not "fun".

Not too hard or tanky, just not fun.

Realism is a weak argument. The devs have said over and over again that fun gameplay trumps realism. Your immersion is irrelevant. How do you enjoy any game that's not a 100% true to life simulation?

Just now, Demandred1957 said:

Well excuuuse me. having a whole bunch of "it's a alpha" and "well we love it" don't hit me as answers, but whatever.

If thats all you took away from that discussion in that tread then i truly feel sorry for you...

Just now, jorbascrumps said:

Realism is a weak argument. The devs have said over and over again that fun gameplay trumps realism. Your immersion is irrelevant. How do you enjoy any game that's not a 100% true to life simulation?

You know there is a middle ground right?

if you have fantasy elements and real life elements together in a game, why can't you go wild on the fantasy part, and hue closer to life on the real life parts??

15 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

You know what! im going to Build that Bus Depot!

But, this time give it at least 6 minutes before you quit lol. The first part of a big building is always the toughest to carry on with hehe.

11 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Sorry, this is a Alpha in name only at this point.

Having faith isnt group think, but a >very< small minority of players going on about how they love every broken thing sure sounds like it.

Its as simple as going back and playing the version you like.

I personally think every version is better than the previous one -- except for A17... lets forget about that one.

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Happy Friday Everybody!  Since so many cool castles have been shared recently, I figured I would try my hand at making one finally.  Although its still a work in progress I wanted to share what I have so far.  @madmole Used your tower design for my round towers. :)

This castle is inspired by Chillon Castle in Switzerland.

Castle 05.jpg

A19.0_2020-08-07_10-27-37.jpg

This is so very beautiful 🤗

I play Dead is Dead or Permadeath and have for many alphas. Myself and others have brought up several alphas ago having this as an option and MM has stated they will look at it after more important things have been dealt with. I also asked for a button so I could delete my player file from a multiplayer server if there was no active admin willing to do it. It was discussed, responded too and I’m patiently waiting for something to be done, no need for me to harp on it. Until then, I handle it by renting my own server and deleting my player profile when I die and I don’t even need to reboot the server that would bother other players. Just state your case once and let it go. They hear you, consider it and eventually decide if it fits their vision. Complaining over and over will get you ignored at best, banned if you become nasty. Just hang in there and wait for them to get around to it. The stuff you are asking for is not very important compared to the other tasks they are doing. Just my 2 cents....patience.

17 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

How do you make a game more if you can only fill it with so much content. You add options that change the game while keeping it the same for those that already enjoy it.

No. You empower players to modify the game and that is exactly what the Fun Pimps do. Options are always limited but modding opens the door to so much more.

There is no official SDK yet but when it is available you can expect to see a lot more mods and much more content.

I asked Lathan, Fubar_prime weeks ago about nerd polling being an option and he told me that he had received a ticket to add an option to the options that would have to do with nerd polling. Which later was part of my trigger for the debate a while back. I'm guessing that it didn't work out or he was trolling me cause now MM and laid down the hammer.

21 minutes ago, madmole said:

Can everyone take their toxic little arguments down about 300%. Thank you.

Laz and Toban carry on with nice creative works that inspire us to do something constructive in our personal apocalypses.

here enjoy this little Castle, Madmole. It has lots of decor :)

8 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

No. You empower players to modify the game and that is exactly what the Fun Pimps do. Options are always limited but modding opens the door to so much more.

There is no official SDK yet but when it is available you can expect to see a lot more mods and much more content.

Then make a mod that takes nerd polling out of the vanilla game

This is what I'm talking about though, you make a valid opinion someone not a dev jumps out of the wood work "No, this"

the problem with taking out the nerd polling is that it might directly effect building, some people i have watched lay out the whole building they wanna build then upgrade, it would make it so u have to upgrade a block then jump on it to place the next set, nerd polling would remain just slightly more resources used, it would be a builders nightmare i think, then again i could be wrong given i dont know the difference of stacking blocks to build or jumping on blocks

Just now, Laz Man said:

Toban shared it last week I think.  It is amazing and perfect for Navezgane lake. :)

Thats right :) in the sharing creations bit... forgive me I cant remember the exact name of the page/thread/forum thing 😛 In that place there are so many great ideas being shared. And might I add, it has such a nice atmosphere. people sharing ideas, pictures and videos. So much sweeter than the toxic stuff that gets said here.

35 minutes ago, madmole said:

Can everyone take their toxic little arguments down about 300%. Thank you.

Laz and Toban carry on with nice creative works that inspire us to do something constructive in our personal apocalypses.

Here is my latest castle I'm working on. I have built this with only blocks the player can make so I can make one similar when the game goes stable.  Still a work in progress, but I'm just trying things atm.

251570_screenshots_20200805184313_1.jpg

251570_screenshots_20200805184305_1.jpg

11 minutes ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

the problem with taking out the nerd polling is that it might directly effect building, some people i have watched lay out the whole building they wanna build then upgrade, it would make it so u have to upgrade a block then jump on it to place the next set, nerd polling would remain just slightly more resources used, it would be a builders nightmare i think, then again i could be wrong given i dont know the difference of stacking blocks to build or jumping on blocks

I did it on that base in my first videos. Again everyone thinks I'm trying to take something away from them. Options everyone, options.

In A16 I built a tower on top of the old shamway trying to reach the top of the map, no nerd polling or frames just wet concrete blocks. Just don't make a mistake and think a couple steps ahead, you know like you were actually building.

Edit: Actually the floor of each floor were iron bars, the point is they could not be picked up.

21 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

Good luck finding anything worth reading in your first week.. Loot lvls are so trash it's not even worth going looting/raiding except for basic supplies.

That's just simply untrue. Feel free to continue making stuff up tho.

2 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

That's just simply untrue. Feel free to continue making stuff up tho.

@JCrook1028 You are right. Me and hubby had loot on default just a couple of nights ago and started day one. I got bicycle frame and handle bar books in the starter house 😛 

19 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

As I posted earlier, I have every gun in the game untill A19, and know from real life experience exactly how much damage they do.

Yea, such a gun expert but know so little as to still call a magazine a clip... me calls foul.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived