1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Happy Friday Everybody!  Since so many cool castles have been shared recently, I figured I would try my hand at making one finally.  Although its still a work in progress I wanted to share what I have so far.  @madmole Used your tower design for my round towers. :)

This castle is inspired by Chillon Castle in Switzerland.

Castle 05.jpg

A19.0_2020-08-07_10-27-37.jpg

That's so awesome. You did a great job. 👍

• Replies 20.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madmole

• Adam the Waster

• MechanicalLens

• Laz Man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A20 NEWS!!!!!!!  Started on the water overhaul this week. I'm working on the water chunk data and another programmer will be doing simulation/mesh changes.   My plan is water will not be

I have made a lot of data changes and code cleanup for water, but it looks exactly the same at this point, so nothing new to show currently.   I am taking a break from water and have spent t

I added a new round arch shape today

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Seems like thats the direction it's heading. But the problem with your statement is how they are "re" creating the product that I liked and purchased.

I didn't pay to have broken vulture swarms, or all the fun taken out of looting at lower levels.

Seems like Mad and the rest do a lot of listening to the squeaky wheels here instead of the majority.

And there is plenty of group think here as well, that just chirp on about how every change is great and "they" love it. Blerg..

This is what you purchased:

image.png.8cf411c1240801d2a9480d9c29ab4042.png

Complaining that an Alpha title is changing is like standing outside in a thunderstorm and complaining that you're getting wet.

I'm sorry that you don't like the current development of the game. You can always wait for the next alpha and see what has changed then. Or you can wait for the gold release ... the core content likely won't change much after that.

The devs are uniquely reactive to player input when they don't have to be.  This is their game, they can design it how they wish. They are working to use new technology as it becomes available to make the game better.  Things take time, it's better to make one small change at a time so you can track how it goes than to make a huge sweeping change then have to back it out trying to find what piece of it didn't work.

Having faith in the designers isn't "group think". It's experience from watching this game evolve over many years. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

You are not "us."  Also drop the "realism" arguments. If you think something is too tanky or too hard just say so. Don't hide behind weak arguments like "realism." It diminishes the point you are trying to make that you don't find the HP added to the bears to be fun.

And you are not me thats true, but when I say "us" thats the players, and you most certainly are "us" whether you like it or not..

And "realism" is not a "weak" argument. It total breaks my immersion to know what kinda damage guns do, I'm a old fart that has shot and owned guns my whole life. You got zombies that take a ton of damage, and can shrug of AK-47 rnds to the body, thats fine.. No suspension of disbelief needed because they are made up to begin with.

But when you throw a "living" grizzly bear in my face, and it still keeps coming after getting shot in the head 20-25 times with the AK that I own a variant of in real life..well that's a different story.

Totally breaks my immersion, because I know it's totally impossible.

So yeah, the broken amount of HP the animals have now is not "fun".

Not too hard or tanky, just not fun.

• Poop 1
16 minutes ago, madmole said:

Very nice! I think you could paint it with stucco and use the orange clay roof tiles for some of the roof towers. One thing that I've been doing lately is making sure the front of the castle is facing the sunset so you can get the amazing lighting at 7 pm or so that really makes a difference in how it looks in screen shots. I'm not sure but if you haven't added any some arrow slots would be a nice touch like int he original. Looks like it was a ton of work, kudos!

Thank you!  Yeah, I may give that a try.  I tried the clay roofs and it seemed too clean/modern but only tried it on the front entrance.  I may give that one another go as well.  Some of the textures have a tiling effect which breaks immersion on large surfaces so been experimenting with trim blocks to break it up alittle.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)
1 minute ago, Pegasus said:

This is what you purchased:

image.png.8cf411c1240801d2a9480d9c29ab4042.png

Complaining that an Alpha title is changing is like standing outside in a thunderstorm and complaining that you're getting wet.

I'm sorry that you don't like the current development of the game. You can always wait for the next alpha and see what has changed then. Or you can wait for the gold release ... the core content likely won't change much after that.

The devs are uniquely reactive to player input when they don't have to be.  This is their game, they can design it how they wish. They are working to use new technology as it becomes available to make the game better.  Things take time, it's better to make one small change at a time so you can track how it goes than to make a huge sweeping change then have to back it out trying to find what piece of it didn't work.

Having faith in the designers isn't "group think". It's experience from watching this game evolve over many years. 

Sorry, this is a Alpha in name only at this point.

Having faith isnt group think, but a >very< small minority of players going on about how they love every broken thing sure sounds like it.

• Poop 2
1 minute ago, Demandred1957 said:

Having faith isnt group think, but a >very< small minority of players going on about how they love every broken thing sure sounds like it.

Well, you know what they say about opinions.  :)  And everyone has one.

10 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Quite the opposite, game is starting to shape up like the original kick starter video promises.  Sorry you fell in love with an alpha/iteration along the way.

But at what point is the excuse "it's just a alpha" going to quit being used? 10-20 years from now???

1 minute ago, Demandred1957 said:

Well that's your opinion only.  By the way, you already said your opinion on the direction of the game and how you feel about it in your other thread.  Please don't rehash it in here.  I get your unhappy but many others have already answered all of your questions so either you come up with new questions or coupe with the answers and move on.  

Just now, Pegasus said:

Well, you know what they say about opinions.  :)  And everyone has one.

Yeah, they all stink..

I wonder about the flood of pissed off players that are going to have something to say, when they finally load up the "stable" version and find out about all these changes.

@PegasusI believe this is a forum for decision and debate, in which case everything said from anyone other then the dev is in they're opinion.

IMO if they want to make more sales after the game goes gold there needs to be more. Did you watch the streams on streamer weekend, they all had a hell of a time trying to give away the game because everyone watching has it. How do you make a game more if you can only fill it with so much content. You add options that change the game while keeping it the same for those that already enjoy it. They have already catered to the minecraft crowd so its time to add things that will pull players from different genres. Adding options that add realism and emersion will bring more players.

When you have been saying this for years and shutdown you get saltie and being attacked by the already bought the game minecraft crowd trying to make any suggestions doesn't help.

Edit:The only thing I've got them to change after years of trying is the iron hatch, wasn't my first time suggesting it either.

Edited by STyK_ (see edit history)
  • Poop 1
Just now, Demandred1957 said:

But at what point is the excuse "it's just a alpha" going to quit being used? 10-20 years from now???

It's not an excuse, it's the truth, which can be exhibited by the number of changes/revisions the game is still undergoing.  And it will be no longer true once the game enters beta testing and/or is released as Gold. There is no time limit placed on Alpha status.  There's no magic formula that says after 'x' months your game is no longer alpha and you have to release it as it is.

If the game were static and no longer receiving updates, then your premise that it is no longer an Alpha game would be valid.  There are games sitting in "Alpha" status on Steam that haven't had an update in years.  However, when a game is undergoing constant revisions, then that definitely qualifies for Alpha status.  At least in my 'group think' mind.

Just now, Laz Man said:

Well that's your opinion only.  By the way, you already said your opinion on the direction of the game and how you feel about it in your other thread.  Please don't rehash it in here.  I get your unhappy but many others have already answered all of your questions so either you come up with new questions or coupe with the answers and move on.  

Well excuuuse me. having a whole bunch of "it's a alpha" and "well we love it" don't hit me as answers, but whatever.

7 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

And you are not me thats true, but when I say "us" thats the players, and you most certainly are "us" whether you like it or not..

And "realism" is not a "weak" argument. It total breaks my immersion to know what kinda damage guns do, I'm a old fart that has shot and owned guns my whole life. You got zombies that take a ton of damage, and can shrug of AK-47 rnds to the body, thats fine.. No suspension of disbelief needed because they are made up to begin with.

But when you throw a "living" grizzly bear in my face, and it still keeps coming after getting shot in the head 20-25 times with the AK that I own a variant of in real life..well that's a different story.

Totally breaks my immersion, because I know it's totally impossible.

So yeah, the broken amount of HP the animals have now is not "fun".

Not too hard or tanky, just not fun.

Realism is a weak argument. The devs have said over and over again that fun gameplay trumps realism. Your immersion is irrelevant. How do you enjoy any game that's not a 100% true to life simulation?

Just now, Demandred1957 said:

Well excuuuse me. having a whole bunch of "it's a alpha" and "well we love it" don't hit me as answers, but whatever.

If thats all you took away from that discussion in that tread then i truly feel sorry for you...

Can everyone take their toxic little arguments down about 300%. Thank you.

Laz and Toban carry on with nice creative works that inspire us to do something constructive in our personal apocalypses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Sad 1
Just now, jorbascrumps said:

Realism is a weak argument. The devs have said over and over again that fun gameplay trumps realism. Your immersion is irrelevant. How do you enjoy any game that's not a 100% true to life simulation?

You know there is a middle ground right?

if you have fantasy elements and real life elements together in a game, why can't you go wild on the fantasy part, and hue closer to life on the real life parts??

15 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

You know what! im going to Build that Bus Depot!

But, this time give it at least 6 minutes before you quit lol. The first part of a big building is always the toughest to carry on with hehe.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

Its as simple as going back and playing the version you like.

I personally think every version is better than the previous one -- except for A17... lets forget about that one.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)
1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Happy Friday Everybody!  Since so many cool castles have been shared recently, I figured I would try my hand at making one finally.  Although its still a work in progress I wanted to share what I have so far.  @madmole Used your tower design for my round towers. :)

This castle is inspired by Chillon Castle in Switzerland.

Castle 05.jpg

A19.0_2020-08-07_10-27-37.jpg

This is so very beautiful 🤗

• Thanks 1

I play Dead is Dead or Permadeath and have for many alphas. Myself and others have brought up several alphas ago having this as an option and MM has stated they will look at it after more important things have been dealt with. I also asked for a button so I could delete my player file from a multiplayer server if there was no active admin willing to do it. It was discussed, responded too and I’m patiently waiting for something to be done, no need for me to harp on it. Until then, I handle it by renting my own server and deleting my player profile when I die and I don’t even need to reboot the server that would bother other players. Just state your case once and let it go. They hear you, consider it and eventually decide if it fits their vision. Complaining over and over will get you ignored at best, banned if you become nasty. Just hang in there and wait for them to get around to it. The stuff you are asking for is not very important compared to the other tasks they are doing. Just my 2 cents....patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

How do you make a game more if you can only fill it with so much content. You add options that change the game while keeping it the same for those that already enjoy it.

No. You empower players to modify the game and that is exactly what the Fun Pimps do. Options are always limited but modding opens the door to so much more.

There is no official SDK yet but when it is available you can expect to see a lot more mods and much more content.

I asked Lathan, Fubar_prime weeks ago about nerd polling being an option and he told me that he had received a ticket to add an option to the options that would have to do with nerd polling. Which later was part of my trigger for the debate a while back. I'm guessing that it didn't work out or he was trolling me cause now MM and laid down the hammer.

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic