A18.1 (b6) Changes: Mining iron ore yields iron?!?

Cadamier

I really really dont care if its in alpha for more years. And all fine what you think the Pimps shouldnt or should do. I see it as an opinion but nothing more than that. You dont get to decide when the creativity stops or how long the alpha lasts. So to wrap it up: They should do whatever they want to do. For all i care they change the foundation again. Not my call. And not yours. For anybody thinking it takes too long, just come back when gold hits or accept the way Pimps do their shizzle. Including not giving any roadmaps out in public.

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Omg...you truly think you re that important?!

Giggles.

Cheers

We as customers are important yes. We might not be able to speak freely here, but we can everyone else and our wallets do the heavy lifting.

Loc

So to wrap it up: They should do whatever they want to do. For all i care they change the foundation again. Not my call. And not yours. For anybody thinking it takes too long, just come back when gold hits or accept the way Pimps do their shizzle.

Almost never wade into these things, but reading this just made me wonder ... is this for the community at large, or was this something personal just for your recipient? You didn't put any qualifiers on it, and it would seem you're talking to everyone.

Would you clarify why you think I personally shouldn't have any expectations? Because that's the jist of it.

Regardless of whether I have an opinion on THIS issue doesn't matter. If I DO have an opinion ... about ANYTHING in 7D2D ... should I assume that my opinion is either not needed, not to be heeded, or irrelevant?

And no, I'm not trying to start anything, but that's a pretty bold statement. If you're telling me that we don't have any skin in the game, and our opinions don't matter ... I tell you what ... can we just make that post a sticky and refer everyone to it that posts any questions? If that's REALLY the position, let's get it up and make it clear.

We as customers are important yes. We might not be able to speak freely here, but we can everyone else and our wallets do the heavy lifting.

Loc

Seriously? You can't speak your mind? So I guess the zounds of "opinions" spoken "freely" posted on here were all fake-posts created by the devs using user accounts on the forums? Jesus grow up already and take a bath, you have too much salt on you. The general masses have already spoken with "their wallet", seeing as A18 has been the most played alpha of all time for the game. Things aren't balanced, the game isn't finished, but it boils down to this:

The game is going down the path the CREATORS of the game wanted to begin with, an unforgiving post-apocalyptic survival tower-defense first-person shooter open-world game with rpg elements that challenges you to build and defend your base versus zombies. How's that possible while accommodating those who want to role play "Cotton-eye joe who ignores the zombies and creates a farm of cattle and etc.", "Lives 24/7 underground never seeing a zombie", "builder bob who builds immortal structures that zombies never touch", "farming simulation moe; I just want to make massive plantations", "crafter zim, whom wants to craft 1,000,000,000 items for no apparent reason other than decoritve", or "miner joe, who wants a completely immersive miner simulation". Mod the game. Noone has ever said "Skyrim is a bad game because I had to download a Thomas the Train Engine mod, I wanted to roleplay that mod and it should have been built-in to begin with! Terrible game, 0/10". To say "MY roadmap for the game trumps the CREATORS' roadmap because I SAID SO!", is childish and silly. You enjoy what you enjoy and that's okay, but to say "10 of us want this so that's the only way this game is good!", is not okay.

To get back to you on this after texting Rick and Joel, I can assure you that Voxel technology for the game is going nowhere. Both Rick and Joel stated that it would be crazy to change something that significant at this point. They are fully committed to voxels and in fact have just completed another overhaul to the random world generation for A18 which shows that commitment. Even if they personally feel at times frustrated by the difficulty voxels present, they will not abandon them. Randomly generated caves are definitely out but that is because they feel they have to be able to guarantee a world that generates properly and doesn't cause rips or instances of falling out of the world or structural integrity issues for prefab POI's and they never were able to get caves to that level and don't see that happening with current tech. The cutting of procedurally generated caves is not, however, a step towards getting rid of voxels at all.

Thanks Roland. Hearing Rick's thoughts on the subject gives me some peace. It's not that I don't want to believe the things Joel says, it's just sometimes what is said that is truthful at the time changes as the game changes. You know, like how when ziplines were once a confirmed feature to be added... but then not.

False positive. I was actually being serious. I'm willing to give it a try. But I can see how it would be taken that way...lmao.

Meh. I've read your posts for years, and I still think you're pretending to be a Stepford Wife at the moment for some reason. :beguiled:

My feelings about this minor change are....minor, but as with others here (including you) I'm concerned about some of the flavor aspects of the game being reduced. If it ends here, then...meh, whatever. While I don't think anyone's planning on removing voxels in a game this long in the tooth, I don't think we're going to see any development focus in that area. My current RNG maps in some areas are a bit reminiscent of one of those early alphas where we went from Minecraft terrain to slightly smoothed-over Minecraft terrain. .....Patience and all that.

I'm sure this stuff's a real challenge, and I get that sometimes you need to go backwards in order to progress, and I still have faith that this is what's happening....but!....I'm also expressing concern, and supporting some of the concerns of others here.

-Morloc

To get back to you on this after texting Rick and Joel, I can assure you that Voxel technology for the game is going nowhere. Both Rick and Joel stated that it would be crazy to change something that significant at this point. They are fully committed to voxels and in fact have just completed another overhaul to the random world generation for A18 which shows that commitment. Even if they personally feel at times frustrated by the difficulty voxels present, they will not abandon them. Randomly generated caves are definitely out but that is because they feel they have to be able to guarantee a world that generates properly and doesn't cause rips or instances of falling out of the world or structural integrity issues for prefab POI's and they never were able to get caves to that level and don't see that happening with current tech. The cutting of procedurally generated caves is not, however, a step towards getting rid of voxels at all.

Thanks Roland.

Of course, our worries are not actually related to what has been said but to the fact that something bad always happens after that.

Firstly, don’t use Kickstarter in any reference to a roadmap. Madmole has said many times that he considers that finished, so honestly, it means nothing anymore. You can’t pick and choose when it’s relevant.

Correction. He said many times that the kickstarter goals except for bandits were done. And as far as we can see bandits are still the master plan for one of the next alphas.

I am sure there will be voxels, somewhere in this game. If its some hybrid system that is introduced in this game or their next one I have no idea.

The game HAS changed, do in part to player input on this forum. I would say the idea of reducing the areas that have vowels are in response to the "Frame rate too low/ Not enough active Zombies" groups.

Edit: So the moral of this story is: Be careful what you wish/cry/rant for... :)

#TheMonkey'sPaw

Seriously? You can't speak your mind? So I guess the zounds of "opinions" spoken "freely" posted on here were all fake-posts created by the devs using user accounts on the forums? Jesus grow up already and take a bath, you have too much salt on you. The general masses have already spoken with "their wallet", seeing as A18 has been the most played alpha of all time for the game. Things aren't balanced, the game isn't finished, but it boils down to this:

The game is going down the path the CREATORS of the game wanted to begin with, an unforgiving post-apocalyptic survival tower-defense first-person shooter open-world game with rpg elements that challenges you to build and defend your base versus zombies. How's that possible while accommodating those who want to role play "Cotton-eye joe who ignores the zombies and creates a farm of cattle and etc.", "Lives 24/7 underground never seeing a zombie", "builder bob who builds immortal structures that zombies never touch", "farming simulation moe; I just want to make massive plantations", "crafter zim, whom wants to craft 1,000,000,000 items for no apparent reason other than decoritve", or "miner joe, who wants a completely immersive miner simulation". Mod the game. Noone has ever said "Skyrim is a bad game because I had to download a Thomas the Train Engine mod, I wanted to roleplay that mod and it should have been built-in to begin with! Terrible game, 0/10". To say "MY roadmap for the game trumps the CREATORS' roadmap because I SAID SO!", is childish and silly. You enjoy what you enjoy and that's okay, but to say "10 of us want this so that's the only way this game is good!", is not okay.

Holy smokes you actually got me, that post was both hilarious and exactly on point. Writing in tears about not having power of free speech after having posted pages and pages of the same stuff is indeed quite ironic. And I totally agree with you, whoever wants a specially tailored game in any aspect like farming, mining, crafting or building should indeed consider modding.

However, I do understand the criticism. The game has indeed shifted towards a looter shooter. Does it sadden me a bit ? Sure. Do I think it's the end of the world that madmole's designs emphasize on action-packed zombie killing rather than on shaping wood logs to 2x4's ? Not really. The difference is I actually feel we need to treat vanilla more and more like the "cookie-cutter base game" and rely on its modding capabilities. Y'all will never be happy if you wait for the game to be what you want it to be in every fashion.

I'll mostly speak to those who don't mod yet. It's getting streamlined ? Open a 'effing structured thread about it, or yet better a discord, pitch ideas, synthetize and make a roadmap, and work as the community you claim to be. There's literally nothing preventing you from creating your own fully fletched Bob the builder experience as a group instead of circle jerking about how you represent the community and how they removed yet another icon. You guys keep crying wolf but you don't provide anything useful.

Something else, especially to all those claiming "the game went downhill for the past two years" : get a grip about reality. The issue isn't that the game got worse, the truth is you feel that way because of the combination of your own burnout and you thinking the game would evolve in a certain way while it didn't. There is no win condition for TFP here, because you've been in here for way too long and don't realise no matter what, you'll never get that "fresh-experience" like you did. Every alpha coming out reminds you how much you loved the game but got more and more used to it, just like everytime your wife puts on make up. She always looks better with the makeup, and hey she actually got better at it over time, but no matter how hard she tries you'll never look at her like on your first date.

EDIT : a last little point. When A18 came out a lot of people praised it and gave thumbs ups to the Pimps for bringing the game back on track. Yet inevitably here we are predicting doom. Have you ever thought about the fact that every time you think you're doing the game any good by debating and writing endless pages of complaints, you actually harm your experience ? Because that's actually the case. You're so focused on "fixing" the game and finding all of its imperfections that you can't even realise its beauty anymore. I'm pretty sure 90% of people who keep detailing their every thought me included would enjoy the game more if they just played it and stopped theorycrafting about it.

Almost never wade into these things, but reading this just made me wonder ... is this for the community at large, or was this something personal just for your recipient? You didn't put any qualifiers on it, and it would seem you're talking to everyone.

Would you clarify why you think I personally shouldn't have any expectations? Because that's the jist of it.

Regardless of whether I have an opinion on THIS issue doesn't matter. If I DO have an opinion ... about ANYTHING in 7D2D ... should I assume that my opinion is either not needed, not to be heeded, or irrelevant?

And no, I'm not trying to start anything, but that's a pretty bold statement. If you're telling me that we don't have any skin in the game, and our opinions don't matter ... I tell you what ... can we just make that post a sticky and refer everyone to it that posts any questions? If that's REALLY the position, let's get it up and make it clear.

You can have all the expectations you want. Im just saying if anybody cant handle the long development time and EA they should wait for gold. I was pretty clear. You are overreacting on my statement. You can express all you want here. On all subjects (except the dead horses explicitly named by the devs). Nobody is stopping anybody, BUT you just are not in the position (nobody here) to tell the pimps what to do, how to do it and how fast. So if you are getting depressed because the game still isnt gold, save yourself some psychiatry costs and just wait for gold. They will continue to work at the speed they want and whining bout it doesnt change anything except forum atmosphere.

Cheers

[...]Something else, especially to all those claiming "the game went downhill for the past two years" : get a grip about reality. The issue isn't that the game got worse, the truth is you feel that way because of the combination of your own burnout and you thinking the game would evolve in a certain way while it didn't. [...]

"Minecraft with zombies". That is and has always been my expectation of this game. That's why I bought it and played for almost 1000 hours. Based on that expectation, the game's been going downhill for the past two or three years.

With every new Alpha I look at the game and decide how much I need to mod it to make it enjoyable. I changed almost nothing in A16. I had to do some major tweaking to A17, especially early stable releases. I look at A18 and realize that I simply have to change too much and it's just not worth the efforts. There are simply too many other games I could play without changing hundreds upon hundreds of numerical values in multiple config files. (That's something I do at work, so doing it at home too isn't my idea of fun).

If MM wants to shift his game towards, as you called it, "looter shooter", that's his choice. I can't change it. I can only voice my opinion that this is a wrong decision, as many other games had implemented this formula much better than TFP ever can while "Modern Minecraft with zombies" is a truly unique concept.

Man this post started with someone not liking the removal of iron ore and is now somehow on to caves and if they will be removing destructible terrain.

I know it’s amazing how rabbit trails get started. You people can get any thread off track.

Roland, I heard from a source familiar with the matter that stripper zombies will be removed or will be given pasties to cover up the more sensitive areas. Can you give us any info?

I am sure there will be voxels, somewhere in this game. If its some hybrid system that is introduced in this game or their next one I have no idea.

The game HAS changed, do in part to player input on this forum. I would say the idea of reducing the areas that have vowels are in response to the "Frame rate too low/ Not enough active Zombies" groups.

Edit: So the moral of this story is: Be careful what you wish/cry/rant for... :)

#TheMonkey'sPaw

Yes! Because it WILL directly effect

_l's M_r_n_ _nd B_rr_t_ B_r -n- Gr_ll

😂

I know it’s amazing how rabbit trails get started. You people can get any thread off track.

Roland, I heard from a source familiar with the matter that stripper zombies will be removed or will be given pasties to cover up the more sensitive areas. Can you give us any info?

Yeah, heard something about glasses.

:( ...however, they are reducing the terrain-blocks in .xml and gradually removing the ores....what did that mean?

I think they are preparing the terrain for static, changes in RWG also indicate this.

Archived