A18.1 (b6) Changes: Mining iron ore yields iron?!?

Cadamier

You are right. They should have added quotation marks around "bacon." It's the damn apocalypse. You don't think you are going to make "bacon" and eggs out of whatever meat you have at hand?

They also should make you have to come back to the forge and clean out the slag before your metal can be refined. The forge gets gummed up over time and will stop working if you don't clean it. Ah, the satisfaction of realism.

There's enough idiocy in the world. You want to make more of it? It's why I used the word "butthurt" earlier. If you don't like the moniker, then don't deserve it.

Your forgetting the fact the woirkbench and chem lab and forge etc can magically keep crafting things without the player even there, when they don't look at all like they would have any sort of automation whatsoever. Its done for gameplay reasons, which is part of the reason this change was done.

To the ones talking about progression, imo the last time 7dtd had any sense of actual progression was in a16 with learn by doing, you wanna get good at using clubs? you need to actually use them, compared to now where its just do random crap then spend perk point and your magically a expert in clubs or whatever even if you never touched one before. Crafting even lost any sense of progression now because you need loot only parts to make most things in the higher tiers. The games sense of progression has like I said pretty much gone out the window since a16 was done and a17 came out.

That is a ridiculous sentiment.

A) The game you purchased still exists and you can play it. Just Opt in.

B) The amount you paid to get 2K hours of fun is the biggest video game bargain you could possibly hope to get.

C) There is no product on earth you can use for 2K hours and expect to get a refund.

D) Modding the game is easier than angst

In response to be B) Not going to lie 7dtd has been one of the best videogame purchaises I made in my life, 3200+ hours so far no other game has even come close to 15% of that playtime. My 2nd highest played game on steam in terms of time is fallout 4, and thats around 470 hours. Skyrim is at 206 hours or so. I'll be honest most AAA games aren't even worth 20 dollars due to how short they are.

Er what?!! I did testing on my stable world to make sure the numbers were correct because someone replied to the OP giving his own numbers (in experimental) with the new change. Results from mining were thrown out on both sides and I just merely confirmed the you still got 1:5 ratio. What is wrong with fact checking? Also have you been paying attention to what I said? My argument was that this was in game for a very long time and that for long time players it will be hard to get used to. Me saying it just doesn't feel right adds to that.

So dude, chill out...

My bad, I responded to the wrong person. Apologies.

If you extrapolate ahead you can see that TFP are at least thinking of getting rid of at least some destructible blocks/areas: where digging is not possible.

This could help a lot with performance, allowing for "Baked" pre-gen'ed maps that are the equal to other games.

They could allow for mining areas, somewhat like an underground POI.

This could allow for the player(s) to face 100 zombies or more at one time.

I think TFP need to get a couple more projects going to help direct their itching to implement new ideas into other more suitable projects, instead of trying to adjust every single time to match what games they think are the best during some moment in the dev cycle.

If they had a real looter/shooter game in the works right now, they would not be so inclined to make changes that diminish the crafting and survival portions of this game.

Ive thought this too for a long time. They keep dropping hints at a sequel, and then we get an alpha with 100 new things. I would call it, polish it and leave whats here for the people who love it. Implement all these new ideas and removals for the sequel. Its a voxel game so their hands are tied already. They want to make a non voxel game that is apparent. So go make it.

This alpha they got their jackpot. Its a hit. Let it be. Take those customers and funnel them into your sequel now. Because if they keep reinventing the wheel for the sake of breaking a record every alpha they wont have any customers left for the sequel.

That's what I'm saying, there're zounds much more crafting than ever before lol. Crafting aint dead just because a couple things got changed.

Hmm, Idk about that. I'd have to see some actual numbers and not just a hunch. Sure feels to me like a lot of the missing craftable deco blocks make up for the few new weapons we can craft. But really, who is crafting weapons anyway? Mods maybe, weapons are usually just looted. Even tools, I haven't crafted a single tool in any A18 game. They drop in loot too often and of a higher quality than I can make.

Hmm, Idk about that. I'd have to see some actual numbers and not just a hunch. Sure feels to me like a lot of the missing craftable deco blocks make up for the few new weapons we can craft. But really, who is crafting weapons anyway? Mods maybe, weapons are usually just looted. Even tools, I haven't crafted a single tool in any A18 game. They drop in loot too often and of a higher quality than I can make.

I am rarely lucky in the tool or mod nor gun department (least not the guns I want to use, but I always find them AFTER crafting...) so I craft a bit lol. Traps and all of that. But I've looked at the recipe xml, it's gigantic compared to previous alphas.

Well here's things that have been added to crafting. Maybe I'm wrong about them but i think they are new to A17 or A18.

Food:

Hobo Stew

Sham Chowder

Fish Taco

Chili Dog

Sham

Purified Water

Mods: All the mods that go into guns. A couple dozen I think.

Clothing:

Bandanas, Jackets, Tank Tops, Etc. I don't think you could craft those before.

Explosives:

Grenades

Sticky Grendades

Timed Charges

Armor:

Steel Armor Set

Ammo:

AP Rounds

Shotgun Breech Rounds

Buffs:

All the Grandpa Elixers

Fort Bites

Weapons:

Spears

Knuckles

Sledgehammer

Baseball Bats

Vechicles

Motorcycle

4x4

Gryocopter

Building Blocks

Wood Bars

Wouldn't have noticed iron ore was missing if it weren't for the response. Changes to old habits are hard but the negative response for this one seems way ott. One icon has been removed, you still need to smelt iron bars with the forge.

I get how some crafters are saying crafting is less a necessity in a18 with the high loot drops but that's a balance issue. Relating that to removing one icon seems a tad drastic.

By gamedesign, there are several hours per day that the player is intended to spend time in the base.

No, it's not intended. It's a choice you are making.

Back in Alpha 8 or 9 I made a suggestion to Madmole that he listened to and implemented. It was to add a bellows that you would have to craft using animal hide and pipes. It was my attempt to add an intermediate component to the forge. He did it and over the years has since changed it making it easier and easier to craft the bellows and now finally most recently removing it from the forge recipe altogether and making it an optional attachment.

Yep. The bellows got upgraded from "just an icon" to very desirable item.

Is it just me or does there seem to be more things you can craft now than there were in A16?

Yes, there is and crafting perks like engineering are useful to anyone doing serious base building.

They are more useful like ever before because they don't just reduce crafting time but actually decrease ingredient cost.

(Science is due for a bit of an upgrade)

Yep. The bellows got upgraded from "just an icon" to very desirable item.

Why do you think it is so desirable? Maybe for min maxers. What cant we craft without a bellows? Maybe Im missing something.

I would say it went from "must have" to "oh thats cool" item. Definitely not must have. I have yet to play a game where i needed a bellows in 18.

Why do you think it is so desirable? Maybe for min maxers. What cant we craft without a bellows? Maybe Im missing something.

I would say it went from "must have" to "oh thats cool" item. Definitely not must have. I have yet to play a game where i needed a bellows in 18.

Wut. It wasn't a "must have", it was an icon that represented an ingredient for the forge and disappeared after you crafted it, nothing more. Right now it makes your smelting 50% more effective, being indeed very desirable.

Wut. It wasn't a "must have", it was an icon that represented an ingredient for the forge and disappeared after you crafted it, nothing more. Right now it makes your smelting 50% more effective, being indeed very desirable.

I agree - it may have become less essential, that's true, but certainly wayyyy more desirable.

To each his own i guess. When you run 3 forges craft time means very little, at least to me.

TL;DR

The only thing that actually changed is that now if you mine iron it can be used instantly to make junk turret ammo. That is the only real world change. You dont have to click any more times to do the same stuff you used to do with ore. Other than scrapping (or using the forge to make scrap iron for ammo).

TL;DR

The only thing that actually changed is that now if you mine iron it can be used instantly to make junk turret ammo. That is the only real world change. You dont have to click any more times to do the same stuff you used to do with ore. Other than scrapping (or using the forge to make scrap iron for ammo).

Yes. And that is why it was changed I believe. Someone wanted to make 1000 turret ammo before a horde night and got upset they had to scrap the raw iron. So raw iron had to go. Impulse decisions are becoming more common recently.

Yes. And that is why it was changed I believe. Someone wanted to make 1000 turret ammo before a horde night and got upset they had to scrap the raw iron. So raw iron had to go. Impulse decisions are becoming more common recently.

It's hilarious when y'all impute motives to changes.

I heard they got rid of the raw iron because the icon looked like Joel's old pet rock, and he didn't want other people to have it.

Do you really think this is the reason?

I don't think so. They have been cutting down on all the extra stuff, like sticks, logs, ect. This just seems inline with there past decisions. No?

Archived