Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Even now in A17 if you start hitting the stalactites on the ceiling of those POIs that are down in the hole with either a door or scrap plates covering the opening...the ones with the indian crate in them....they are only a few blocks underground and the ENTIRE roof collapses.....But on the other hand..i think actual underground camp, mine, hideouts POIs would be better, as some of the larger POIs in game now have pretty big underground areas...think the scientist lab one under the house.

Make underground cave POIs that can be generated into the mix...they would not be as open as the large rooms that we find in the house POIs just add wood supports every 5 blocks to simulate cribbing inn a mine shaft.

Coughs* Oh and add a small airport while you guys are at it...we need one * Coughs

regards

Ouch

I came here to agree with this post. Also, to the troll: “You” didn’t pay TFP millions of dollars. The community did. Contrary to what you think, not everyone hates Alpha 17. Those of us with the hardware appreciate the visual upgrade and the refreshed skill tree is a breath of fresh air. Maybe you should have taken that Kickstarter money and upgraded your PC. :/

I didn't. The laptop I was using for mod development went from a 70-ish FPS average to a 30-ish FPS average with mostly the same video settings. That's from A16 to A17. The only difference is I had a wider FOV in A16.

My desktop was just as bad, going from 130-ish down to around 80-ish.

I've since bought a new one and back to roughly 80-ish FPS, but I consider that to be pretty unacceptable when A17 was touted to be a performance INCREASE.

However it sounds like TFP are working on that now, so that's good.

In a nutshell we want more 2000 hour guys by focusing on polishing the first 30 hours. How can anyone fall in love with the game and get hooked if the performance, bugs and lack of polish are hindering them?

I think this is a good strategy. I had many friends that I tried to get hooked on this game, but it was just too unpolished to them and they couldn't play it. Get the performance up, the graphics good and fix the bugs, and a lot of new players will enjoy 7dtd!

A17 is another A13. It was a LOT of changes but by the time we fixed the bugs and got it balanced (a14) it was received very very well and at the end of that phase 99% of the players would prefer A14 to A12 as they will A18 to A16.

Speaking of which: @MadMole how is the development of A18 coming along? Is it still set to be released in the first half of 2019?

You guys seem to be forgetting that caves were in the game, so "ideas" on how to implement them are moot. They were in, performance suffered for it, and they're out until performance allows them to be back in.

thats why if you make them as a POI...less problems than the perlin worm system that went nowhere.

I would be happy for ANY caves...POI or otherwise...

When I found some of the newer POIs with underground areas , it made me happy...

We definitely need more of that in one way shape or form...

There are 4 cave POIs, and a decently large mine, and several larger houses with underground areas.

Not sure if the RWG is spawning all of them.

There could be more of that stuff though...

Good then you guys can listen to everyone cry about your performance problems :)

Considering you guys somehow managed to halve performance from 16 to 17 while at the same time crippling larger mods I would say you did a very good job of that all by yourself.

Id love to have a thread of people playing vanilla A16 with a snapshot of their CPU and GPU stats, and then a shot of A17 with a snapshot of those same stats. I think the drastic difference would shock you.

There is no way you will ever get back to the performance you had in 16, no matter how many artificial handicaps you throw at the game like Texture Streaming you implement.

And telling people to get better systems isn't going to work, because there are people WITH those better systems that are close to maxing GPU usage playing just vanilla on high settings, and thats before people even install a single mod.

And considering this whole thing was branded as "mod friendly" thats a bit of irony I certainly wasn't expecting.

See I’m in the camp of better performance in A17 vs A16. I have a 5 yr old gaming laptop. FPS is capped at 60 due to monitor refresh rate. In A16, if I wandered into a city with lots of buildings, my FPS dropped to 20. In A17 with same settings, I have not found any map region that causes my FPS to drop at all, ever. I’m just not seeing what some others are complaining about....runs smooth as silk and the only time it tanks is if horde night is set to 32 then my frame rate drops to 5, as it did in A16 too. I’m not trying to run the game at max settings, no shadows and instead of 1080p, I dropped to the next lower resolution. Looks & runs wonderful and, again, it’s a 5 year old laptop. <<Shrugs>>

modders should also make their mods optimized. I've seen in some mods models with hundreds of thousands of polygons (and hardly they had a LOD). So you will never have enough performance.

I totally agree, and the good ones do optimize as much as possible. This is a constant topic on the modding discord channels, and modders are constantly reducing the mesh complexity of new models, and code is refactored with speed in mind. My point is every new feature takes some of the games engines power, not that we intend to be sloppy with that power.

Yes they would collapse. Several times I would walk over them and they would cave in.

Actually you are right, but only when they are not deep enough. So this is not a problem, it is actually fun to discover the entrance of a cave by walking on the surface and collapsing a few blocks. The rest of the cave, if deep enough would not collapse.

I honestly don't have the foggiest idea what some of you are talking about when it comes to the game's performance. I have had nothing but increases across the board from a16 to a17. Still using the system that I built over 3 years ago with only a GTX 970. I have increased my settings to almost max 1080p, except maybe reflected shadows or something, and maintain 60 fps g-synced on a consistent bases including horde night. I only play single player now so I can not say how the game performs on a server which is where I expect most complaints probably originate.

I've adapted alpha 17 with a couple tweaks for my play style and I am loving every minute I get to play it. Sorry for those who refuse to try and enjoy what they have and instead cry about what once was.

Since the problem was performance, not generation. Your suggestion to use POIs (a different generation) in order to have less problems, is nonesense.

Maybe it would help with the performance they are added as a Poi instead of randomly generated and added.

Nonsense...nonsense...good day to you sir!

Maybe it would help with the performance they are added as a Poi instead of randomly generated and added.

Nonsense...nonsense...good day to you sir!

Since chunk generation was moved before the game starts, it would have zero impact on the ingame performace.

Yes, it could be slower to generate though.

I've been thinking that that storage pocket mod should have more uses. Since as of right now the only reason to it is to get rid of early encumbarance or if you decided to not get that perk that increases inventory space. Why not have it be able to add more inventory space once a player maxes out Pack Mule, or modify a vehicle to get even more inventory space? Especially, since when I go questing, I pretty much harvest everything that I can from the POI, and many times I've had to go back after finishing the quest to pick up the things I couldn' carry.

@madmole would you consider it? Adding more functionality to the storage pocket mod so it can increase player inventory even after one maxes out Pack Mule or being able to modify a vehicle with it to add more inventory space.

Also, on the topic of RWG, rather than it being truly random. I think it'd be better if the layout was like Navesgane. That way instead of having to make multiple seeds and trying them out, you'd get a good load of small, medium, and large cities much like how it is in Navesganes already. Especially since, I play exclusively on a multiplayer server where what the kind of map we get is dictated by whatever the server admin decides to make.

you can have NPCs be neutral/friendly or aggressive and attack when something gets within NN meters. this allowed me to have NPS that would make statements when you got close but not attack you. you can also have neutral that only attack if you attack them first.

so:

- friendly - never attack - can't be hurt

- friendly - never attack - can be killed

- friendly - never attack - will attack if you attack

- aggressive - attack always - can said radius player must be in to trigger.

you can also outfit the NPC with same armor/weapons as players.

This was almost, but not quite possible to do in A16 using XML and UMA NPCs. The behavior at least - NPCs (other than traders) couldn't talk, and I don't think you could make one that could not be killed.

Unfortunately, as of A17, they can no longer be "hooked up" to AI behavior through the XML. (I'm guessing it's because the AI was overhauled.)

I'm hoping that comes back again someday, maybe as TFP get closer to gold.

Also, on the topic of RWG, rather than it being truly random. I think it'd be better if the layout was like Navesgane. That way instead of having to make multiple seeds and trying them out, you'd get a good load of small, medium, and large cities much like how it is in Navesganes already. Especially since, I play exclusively on a multiplayer server where what the kind of map we get is dictated by whatever the server admin decides to make.

I think that most playing RWG would disagree here. The entire point of RWG is that the world must be explored. It should be random to the largest extent possible.

I don't think it's fair to compare fps from a16 to a17, unless you find a comparable video setting...

A17's medium is probably more akin to A16's high.

There is no a16 setting that would match what you see on a17 ultra.

Food for thought.

I honestly don't have the foggiest idea what some of you are talking about when it comes to the game's performance. I have had nothing but increases across the board from a16 to a17. Still using the system that I built over 3 years ago with only a GTX 970. I have increased my settings to almost max 1080p, except maybe reflected shadows or something, and maintain 60 fps g-synced on a consistent bases including horde night. I only play single player now so I can not say how the game performs on a server which is where I expect most complaints probably originate.

I've adapted alpha 17 with a couple tweaks for my play style and I am loving every minute I get to play it. Sorry for those who refuse to try and enjoy what they have and instead cry about what once was.

I think that for whatever reason, 970's are performing quite well with this game. I am in the same boat of not seeing any performance problems where people with later generations are having problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually you are right, but only when they are not deep enough. So this is not a problem, it is actually fun to discover the entrance of a cave by walking on the surface and collapsing a few blocks. The rest of the cave, if deep enough would not collapse.

Oh sure, I never saw that as a problem. I just took it as something that could happen naturally anyways.

I am not against caves at all. If we can have them, that's great. I just think expecting large underground ravines is too much... not only because of SI, but also because we just don't have as much underground space anymore.

Archived