Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

We're closed until we get these walls fixed...Can you help?

Something like that :)

Quest 1: Clear Zombies

Quest 2: Collect 15000 Wood, 15000 Cobblestones, 15000 Iron

Quest 3: Craft Spikes, BarbWire Fence, Landmines, Flagstone blocks

Quest 4: Craft WorkBench, Forge, Cement Mixer

Quest 5: Craft Iron Club

Quest 6: Find Survivor and force him with ur iron reinforced club to become trader

Quest 7: Deliver Crafted Items

Questline complete: 5% discount at trader and 5000 dukes :p

I think he is complaining about the part where you can build an elaborate maze and stand at the end of it, the Zombie will (nonsensically) navigate through with flawless precognition from start to finish and kill you.

If you stood on the other side of a glass pane, or on top of a wall, the Zombie should start bashing the wall, not look for the stairs to 'path' to you.. at least, that's what's EXPECTED for a Zombie.

I too find it stupid, but a necessary evil. The game would not be as fun, especially if Zombies couldn't flail their meaty arms though wood, let alone cement blocks to fulfil their purpose.

Okay, so it's not so realistic that they can path directly to you in a maze without double-backing or going into dead ends. But only in rare circumstances would the player ever really see that 'magical ability', anyway.

Maybe TFP's could make the zombie designs more Jedi-like so then we have an explanation as to how they can do this? Lol

Question - Animals

any plans to add other animals to the game?

also maybe the ability to trap chickens/rabbits to produce constant food source

I believe Madmole's reply to that one was that adding animals is just like adding zombies. The more animals, the less zombies you can realistically have. So having the ability to have an entire farm of animals isn't the idea of the game when you need to have enough zombies to be a threat.

But I remember countering with a suggestion. The game allows you to have up to maybe 5 low AI animals, but these are extreme 'heat' sources for zombies. Any more than that and it draws crowds of zombies that just make it impractical to maintain.

So this wouldn't work with harvesting animals because they don't re-produce, however it could work for things like chickens and collecting their eggs, sheep and collecting their wool or cows for milk.

Fish reproduce pretty quickly I think, so maybe it could work with them?

I believe Madmole's reply to that one was that adding animals is just like adding zombies. The more animals, the less zombies you can realistically have. So having the ability to have an entire farm of animals isn't the idea of the game when you need to have enough zombies to be a threat.

But I remember countering with a suggestion. The game allows you to have up to maybe 5 low AI animals, but these are extreme 'heat' sources for zombies. Any more than that and it draws crowds of zombies that just make it impractical to maintain.

So this wouldn't work with harvesting animals because they don't re-produce, however it could work for things like chickens and collecting their eggs, sheep and collecting their wool or cows for milk.

Fish reproduce pretty quickly I think, so maybe it could work with them?

is unity that bad to where you cannot have 20 zombies and 20 animals? that's a lot i know but just for examples sakes

I always wondered too, why unity..?

is unity that bad to where you cannot have 20 zombies and 20 animals? that's a lot i know but just for examples sakes

Not only Unity, devs have a system requirements goal. They can`t just add more and more, because at some point our ovens will need help. Or a hammer.

I haven't got it yet. I'm saving up the perk points for rank three of advanced engineering which is Electrician. We didn't have electrical schematics when this character started but I'm starting to see them spawn, but yet to find a generator schematic. I have found some things at traders, so we'll see if I buy the perk, depends on what I can find between now and when I have the points to spend. The good thing is the electrician gets xp for trap kills so it won't feel useless if I buy it and find schematics later.

For me horde night is all about ammo. I stand on my walls and shoot everything, perferably before they reach my spikes because I want the XP. Its costing about 100 rounds per 10 levels or so, so I need about 500 rounds to get through a horde night right now. I love grenades I just drop them onto a big cluster of zombies and watch bodies fly. Molotovs still blow up in my face or the radius is too much and light me on fire so I don't like them for fort defense where you throw straight down.

Very cool, thanks! Really looking forward to the Grenades. And faatal recently mentioned he had done some work on the molotovs, so keeping fingers crossed on their 'look out below!' usability :)

Electricity Tip.

I just had a horde night after taking a couple rl weeks away. Something weird happened within the first couple minutes. There was an explosion, inside my bird cage! And a wierd boomy at that. I lost half of the switches I had mounted on the floor (concrete blocks), and a couple of e-fence posts that were 5 blocks away, while -not- losing a couple of e-fence posts that were in between the lost switches and the far fence posts. <definately a one-off, and running a few modlets so no bug report>

Anyway. The 'tip' is to protect your switches better than I did (though I've never had anything like this happen before, heh).

Due to the switches demise I lost -all- of my traps, eep!

Which led to quite a bit of advanced sailor speak while trying to suddenly fight all the zeds strolling right in to my small 7x7 birdcage.

Hell, I hadn't even bothered to put an e-tool in my backpack, though I did, thankfully, have one in a flush mounted floor chest in the cage. Which allowed me to make a couple frantic connections to get the e-fencing back up.

Fun, though -wildly- unexpected!

--meilodasreh, funny stuff! :) and just in case it wasn't clear; the shower comment was meant as, 'MMs working so damn hard to get A18 out he doesn't have time to shower!' ... since MM & I are of an age I'm 99% certain he got the intent (and obviously meilodasreh got it and expanded on the joke), but just in case any of you young whipper snappers were wondering :)

Not only Unity, devs have a system requirements goal. They can`t just add more and more, because at some point our ovens will need help. Or a hammer.

i run AMD so unity is not my friend.

But I WILL say the new ryzen 3000's double my fps and not i can play on max 60fps and 45fps horde night <3

i run AMD so unity is not my friend.

But I WILL say the new ryzen 3000's double my fps and not i can play on max 60fps and 45fps horde night <3

no probs on my ryzen 2700x system with rtx 2080 on a18. my average fps is 75-80

but what people keep neglecting is the fact that voxel world has a very large factor to game limits.. unity can be used in non voxel games and be very competitive with other games... but a voxel world is a different experience and does have limits currently. future is always changing tho. :)

It's not a problem with Unity. And there are WAY more than 20 of each in the game now, especially in multiplayer. You have to remember, it doesn't matter if you're playing solo or multiplayer, it's the same code, and everything has to work smoothly.

The main issue is that 7DTD is a voxel game, and no matter what game engine you use, voxel games take up a TON more resources on your computer than games that have a static, pre-built world. Each actor (zombie or animal) has to have complicated scripts just to be able to move around in an ever changing world. That means each actor eats up a lot more CPU time, so there's just simply a limited amount of actors that can be active at the same time. Put eight players on a server, each in a different area of the map, with wandering hordes, POI zombies, and animals, and you can see how it all adds up quickly.

no probs on my ryzen 2700x system with rtx 2080 on a18. my average fps is 75-80

but what people keep neglecting is the fact that voxel world has a very large factor to game limits.. unity can be used in non voxel games and be very competitive with other games... but a voxel world is a different experience and does have limits currently. future is always changing tho. :)

glad to see those numbers! literal same setup but 3700.

Im excited to see 100+ fps and use my 120hz to the fullest!

It's not that, imagine every person on the server wants to have a farm with 20 animals, with 8 players on a SV that would imply 80 entities just in farms. That's a lot (for the actual resources that the game can handle).

- - - Updated - - -

well this bug exists since LCB appeared so i can assume it will never be fixed and its known bug

Well, you can ask the developers, or wait until they respond to Frankencow's post. :);):D

In regards to the quests: Ever think about having quests be given at certain player levels? or if you invest a certain amount in a perk tree?

Just think it would be neat, to have quests unlock with either.

Make them "Reclaim your memories type of quests".

Like you invest in a gun skill and at a certain rank purchased, It unlocks a past memory and you get a quest pop-up to retrieve a gun you had stashed away at 'X' location.

The more you level or unlock certain perks, the more memories you unlock.

hey Madmole you havent removed my strike, even though I was totally quiet.

I will forgive you, but only if you implement a certain questtype:

Delivery - Devliver Item X (like the stash you find in the find item quests) to another trader within meter x seconds

Why?

1. because its a type variation and this game needs it :D

2. and more importantly, because this way we can find other traders that have managed to hide away.

Well "traders are easy to spot from high places" and you are right... and I am pretty good at finding all the traders withing 2km radius...

but sometimes I go 40 days without finding the second trader, either because there is no highpoint or because its too mountainy so they block the field of view.

This quest would give far less reward but is a Tier 1 quest (because lateron you probably dont need that anymore and it is riskfree with only time beeing the ressource you spend, since oyu are most likely on foot still)

Pretty please? :D

Archived