Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

It is not like each of us knows every part of the game. I didn't know that either, but I don't like traders and rarely visit them. A18 might make it more of a necessity to get rare but wanted stuff, but I'd rather sneak in at night and steal it. ;)

I assumed he knew, because he has been constantly testing Alpha's. But i guess not, no matter.

What I don't understand is the last part of your statement. Are you talking about breaking into the traders stash and stealing that? At night you can't even get close to it without being teleported away from the trader.

The trader will kick you out of his/her place ten minutes before night and won't open up till morning.

Could just have an NPC with a sleeping bag. He says "if I had a bunch of wood and stone I bet I could set up a trading post". You collect 10000 wood/stone and give it to him. Come back next day and he has a mansion built. "Thanks man for the help"! You get a whole 1% discount.

See, thats why there is this thing we say - *In Pimps we trust*, because you guys know how to make it better and..well it will be. Hope this sort of stuff goes in, in some way or another.

Thanks for sharing so much lately.

What’s the mf bug counter up or down to for today?

The last 10% take 90% of the work.

That's usually a reasonable estimate.

I knocked out about 50 in a week but for most of those the work took much less time than the testing and paperwork because every bug needs to be tracked.

A bug is not fixed if a developer says so. It is fixed if QA says so. No exceptions.

Long story short: The number does not mean what players may think it means. =P

A18 is the most solid patch release in TFP history but if you think it will be bug-free then you need to share what you are smoking.

hi there. im new here and my english sucks. so pls dont flame me for that. thank you :)

i realy like this game so far (my start was with a17 release)

there is only one thing i will miss in a18

to craft q6 items. i can understand why this decision was made, but still.

maybe u can use any of this ideas for a18.x or for a19

kumquat sayd in one of his streams, i can tell ideas and something in this forum. so i give it a try

my first idea was: make a buff which u get after bloodmoon horde without a death. this buff give you +1 crafting tier for your next craftet item. if you craft one, you lose the buff immediately and u dont get the buff back if you stop the craftingprocess

the second idea is: for your first readed schematic u get +1 craftingtier or unlock the item, for the first perk too. so you can craft with all perks and the schematic q6 items

the third idea i had is my favourite one: bring back the magazines. every magazine can give you a +1 craftingtier buff for a specific weapon, tool or armor. same as the bloodmoon one, it last only for one craftingprocess and disappears. so u have another way to get q6 items. but you need luck too. if you want one selfmade ak, you need the maxed out perk and the ak magazine. and for a self made q6 steel pickaxe u need the steel pickaxe magazine and the perks too.

with the random stats of found items and the scaling crafting costs it should not be overpowered. there will be always better ones out there. and make the magazines buy for 5k or more without perks, or/and very rare find in loot. (find in trash would be awesome)

then you can sell it for a good amount if you don't need it, but can use it for your self too if you want.

thats it, first post done. i hope it's understandable ^^

thats what he gets for not speccing right... that heavy machine gun you lugging around wont help either because you shot all ammo out.

the only guns he's carrying around with him are those rock hard biceps muscles.

If he ever needed a weapon he'd just pick up a rock...

and craft it into a sharp stone! :p

Yes if you play too much 7 Days creeps into reality a bit, like a trash bag on someone's curb as you drive by has you wondering what loot is in there, then you realize its just trash.

Sounds like somebody's been playing a little too much. ;)

The last 10% take 90% of the work.

That's usually a reasonable estimate.

I knocked out about 50 in a week but for most of those the work took much less time than the testing and paperwork because every bug needs to be tracked.

A bug is not fixed if a developer says so. It is fixed if QA says so. No exceptions.

Long story short: The number does not mean what players may think it means. =P

A18 is the most solid patch release in TFP history but if you think it will be bug-free then you need to share what you are smoking.

As a former QA Lead in the gaming industry, it's refreshing for me to hear this sentiment from a dev. A lot of devs paid lip-service to it, but would shut you down with prejudice the second the philosophy became inconvenient for them. You say it like you actually mean it.

hi there. im new here and my english sucks. so pls dont flame me for that. thank you :)

i realy like this game so far (my start was with a17 release)

there is only one thing i will miss in a18

to craft q6 items. i can understand why this decision was made, but still.

maybe u can use any of this ideas for a18.x or for a19

kumquat sayd in one of his streams, i can tell ideas and something in this forum. so i give it a try

my first idea was: make a buff which u get after bloodmoon horde without a death. this buff give you +1 crafting tier for your next craftet item. if you craft one, you lose the buff immediately and u dont get the buff back if you stop the craftingprocess

the second idea is: for your first readed schematic u get +1 craftingtier or unlock the item, for the first perk too. so you can craft with all perks and the schematic q6 items

the third idea i had is my favourite one: bring back the magazines. every magazine can give you a +1 craftingtier buff for a specific weapon, tool or armor. same as the bloodmoon one, it last only for one craftingprocess and disappears. so u have another way to get q6 items. but you need luck too. if you want one selfmade ak, you need the maxed out perk and the ak magazine. and for a self made q6 steel pickaxe u need the steel pickaxe magazine and the perks too.

with the random stats of found items and the scaling crafting costs it should not be overpowered. there will be always better ones out there. and make the magazines buy for 5k or more without perks, or/and very rare find in loot. (find in trash would be awesome)

then you can sell it for a good amount if you don't need it, but can use it for your self too if you want.

thats it, first post done. i hope it's understandable ^^

Welcome to the forums! :) I like your ideas. A one time bonus for the very next item you craft that will make it +1 tier above what you can currently craft so that sometimes you can craft purple quality items and that bonus comes by way of a reward for surviving horde night, and/or reading extra schematics you've already read, and/or using the A17 magazines. If Madmole doesn't go for it maybe someone could mod that in because it does sound cool.

Yes if you play too much 7 Days creeps into reality a bit, like a trash bag on someone's curb as you drive by has you wondering what loot is in there, then you realize its just trash.

Before or after you opened it up and then beat up her dog?

I assumed he knew, because he has been constantly testing Alpha's. But i guess not, no matter.

What I don't understand is the last part of your statement. Are you talking about breaking into the traders stash and stealing that? At night you can't even get close to it without being teleported away from the trader.

The trader will kick you out of his/her place ten minutes before night and won't open up till morning.

I was talking theoretically. Like I'd rather use traders, by sneaking in and stealing.

As a former QA Lead in the gaming industry, it's refreshing for me to hear this sentiment from a dev. A lot of devs paid lip-service to it, but would shut you down with prejudice the second the philosophy became inconvenient for them. You say it like you actually mean it.

We have the best testers I've ever worked with. They get the job done. Every task/bug I do gets put in the bug pool, so someone can check it.

I was talking theoretically. Like I'd rather use traders, by sneaking in and stealing.

Sounds like me; I'm anti magical trader protection (hate lcb's too, suck it up)... If someone kills him then so be it. Their reputation drops and other trader's shoot on sight.

Sounds like me; I'm anti magical trader protection (hate lcb's too, suck it up)... If someone kills him then so be it. Their reputation drops and other trader's shoot on sight.

+1. I'd love a native option for removing trader protection. It is a lot of fun without it and even if the dude gets killed another "relative" could spawn in a couple days later to take over. There are some potentially great quests that could be done at the trader compounds without the protection getting in the way as well.

@fataal

Has there been any experimentation done on tweaking the amount zombies prioritize certain material types/shapes? The only block I know that doesn't have an AI-cost proportional to it's durability is doors.

It's been brought up that the explanation for the zombie X-Ray pathing is the amount of heat and smell that leaks through, but does the team actually plan to use that principle to inform the design on the AI-block prioritization(like more drafty materials get a lower AI-cost multiplier)?

I believe he knows all that, but that he personally as a player would enjoy traders being vulnerable to thieving and, by extension, to being destroyed.

I remember madmole saying that the desired design goal of the trader posts is to be relatively safe but destroyable, with settlements with pay-to-be-protected kind of stuff.

When wandering traders are in, we shall hope and trust them to be wreckable. 😁

Edit: answered by faatal already lul.

Welcome to the forums! :) I like your ideas. A one time bonus for the very next item you craft that will make it +1 tier above what you can currently craft so that sometimes you can craft purple quality items and that bonus comes by way of a reward for surviving horde night, and/or reading extra schematics you've already read, and/or using the A17 magazines. If Madmole doesn't go for it maybe someone could mod that in because it does sound cool.

thank you :)

hey thats right. if you get the one time bonus from the schematics after you unlock the recipe, there is no need for magazines.

Archived