Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

So, this is my first post here... Love the game! We have a dedicated server running with 5 of us that play local lan almost every weekend...!

(From ages 11 to 69!)

We each have a role in the game and it absolutely makes a huge difference in the outcome!

We always enjoy the progression and each time we start over it is never the same! Love that about this!

We are eagerly awaiting A18 and are really looking forward to the changes!

A couple of ideas we have for either A18 or in the future...

1) For the Gyro copter... (I apologize if this has been mentioned before) Could you add in a hotkey where it allows "autorun"? We do questing together and having to hold down "w" for 10 minutes at a time can get... Crampy! A couple of us have gaming mice to "fix" this, but we give a bunch of crap to them for having this luxury!

2) For the Gyro copter... If you were to add in the auto run or even not, could you make it so you can view your map/inventory/char. without losing momentum?

3) Maybe add in a mod/skill to upgrade the 4x4 to hold 4 players..? Again just thinking out loud... :)

Really looking forward to A18! Have been watching the Y/T vids and the forums for any update info... Keep up the great work!

Sure, Mr. 21,289 posts. :confused:

hell he has even replied to himself just to get more points... he had to be banned for a week because he got in a serious cussing fight with himself... it was rough... everybody was walking on egg shells around here. :)

if you believe that, i will cook up another one. :)

@fataal

Has there been any experimentation done on tweaking the amount zombies prioritize certain material types/shapes? The only block I know that doesn't have an AI-cost proportional to it's durability is doors.

It's been brought up that the explanation for the zombie X-Ray pathing is the amount of heat and smell that leaks through, but does the team actually plan to use that principle to inform the design on the AI-block prioritization(like more drafty materials get a lower AI-cost multiplier)?

No new changes to how AI treat blocks.

The explanation was me making stuff up as to why they might act the way they do. Just plain old imagination. Not official team lore. I don't think most of us need a reason for why they act the way they do. We just want to play a challenging game.

The real reason they act the way they do is so it runs efficiently on your computer and is challenging.

The explanation was me making stuff up as to why they might act the way they do. Just plain old imagination. Not official team lore. I don't think most of us need a reason for why they act the way they do. We just want to play a challenging game.

The real reason they act the way they do is so it runs efficiently on your computer and is challenging.

Im glad someone wants a challenging game. I feel alone with this thought sometimes, then I cry.

Im glad someone wants a challenging game. I feel alone with this thought sometimes, then I cry.

you're not alone Snow... i find out every day that more and more of us are here... BUT everyone has a right to play as they want... just not on my single player game that's for sure. :) and if i dont like how i am playing i will kick myself off the game. ooops :)

you're not alone Snow... i find out every day that more and more of us are here... BUT everyone has a right to play as they want... just not on my single player game that's for sure. :) and if i dont like how i am playing i will kick myself off the game. ooops :)

Well, not everyone... (Console players)

/Laughs and runs away

I was under the impression there was a variable for all blocks that was multiplied times the durability to determine how easily the AI thinks it can go through it, and that doors were set to 0.5.

I get that in order for the AI to seem intelligent and to prevent horde cheesing, the Cost of a block needs to be roughly similar to how hard it actually is to break through it. However, I don't see why a strict 1:1 correspondence is necessary. Maybe the time it would take to edit the XMLs, test and balance wouldn't be worth it, but I feel like making blocks slightly asymmetric with regard to how much they get targeted by zombies could have a positive effect on game feel.

I was under the impression there was a variable for all blocks that was multiplied times the durability to determine how easily the AI thinks it can go through it, and that doors were set to 0.5.

I get that in order for the AI to seem intelligent and to prevent horde cheesing, the Cost of a block needs to be roughly similar to how hard it actually is to break through it. However, I don't see why a strict 1:1 correspondence is necessary. Maybe the time it would take to edit the XMLs, test and balance wouldn't be worth it, but I feel like making blocks slightly asymmetric with regard to how much they get targeted by zombies could have a positive effect on game feel.

That is how it works. Been like that since A17. You asked if any of that was new or tweaked. The answer is no. A18 is same as A17.

Doors are 25%, but they are typically 2 blocks in size, so 50% of 2 blocks. I don't see a need to tweak one block to be x% of another. They already use the block health. AI already uses variation in block health vs distance based on AI intelligence level. I see no benefit in slapping arbitrary variations on blocks.

Easy there Ouch, we’re not scheduled for a forum fire for at least another two weeks!

What do you mean, in two weeks? If we can't play A18 after the coming weekend, there'll be riots! We'll even bring the console crowd and write many forum posts expressing how angry we are, right after the letter we sent to the United Nations Council due to the crimes against humanity committed by the pimps because they let us wait so long, which is psychological torture as defined by the Geneva Convention. They might even consider a "military option" to end our suffering and drop supply crates with "liberated" copies of A18.

Viva la instalaciَn!

Archived