Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Yes we do have infinite wisdom. You guys think game design is easy? Take a wild guess what happens when you press and hold the mouse button for power attack? You lose the ability to mine unless you want to tap tap tap tap tap tap... its getting old already. Tap, tap, tap... no thanks. People want to press and hold to mine, and not be forced into a power attack and be out of stamina when mining. There would also be a pause between each hit if you had to click it for each tap of the pickaxe unless you had perfect timing. It would take something that is enjoyable and relaxing and turn it into a ♥♥♥♥ show.

Calm yourself big guy. It's only a little light ridicule, nothing to get worked up about :-)

You made a choice, one of several options, none of which are entirely perfect. Another option would be slightly a different control systems for two-handed mining tools, in the same way that you cannot really power-attack with a hammer. That's still not a perfect system but it would allow for dual-wielding while leaving mining relatively untouched.

Regarding performance. Could adding caves to the world HELP performance because from what im hearing the game is rendering all blocks even if we cant see them. Would having less blocks underground help?

Hah, nope.

It's not about rendering blocks but rendering surfaces. There is no visible surface between terrain blocks so a solid underground costs zip.

Calm yourself big guy. It's only a little light ridicule, nothing to get worked up about :-)

You made a choice, one of several options, none of which are entirely perfect. Another option would be slightly a different control systems for two-handed mining tools, in the same way that you cannot really power-attack with a hammer. That's still not a perfect system but it would allow for dual-wielding while leaving mining relatively untouched.

funny, you keep telling him to calm down while you edge him on about stuff he says they will not do. oh and hi and i couldnt pass that one up. :)

Hello there!

Long time listener.......semi first time caller. Guess I'll open up with the standard "Huge fan, thanks for fantastic game!".

Anyway, as a long time lurker of the forums I remember seeing a while back Roland was hinting at Legendary Quality Items in the past when questions arose about once established why you would want to continue scavenging in the world.

I personally really enjoyed this idea and wondered with the Item changes proposed in A18 is this possibly on the docket?

Towers are nice because their smaller footprint makes them much easier to defend.

I start with a tower, then a keep, then etc etc because if your tower is overrun you have nowhere to go. A tower is easier to defend but if you fail you have no fallback option.

Soooooo, I'd like to ask what happened to "no more 1 year wait for next alpha release" thing?

Because working on A17 for 10 months and then releasing A18 2 months later is still 1 year wait in my book.

I'm completely confused as to what and when to expect?

More A17 versions? A18? How many more months? What happened to the claim it won't take a year again?

Calm down. 18 didn't really start full team until a few months ago most were fixing 17 bugs and doing optimizations. 18 has 10x the content 17 did in way less time. It won't be a year. If important things come up that need patching, we're going to patch. It would be irresponsible to not patch, no matter what the state of A18 was.

Regarding performance. Could adding caves to the world HELP performance because from what im hearing the game is rendering all blocks even if we cant see them. Would having less blocks underground help?

Even a slightly less deep underground maybe?

No, unmined surfaces are just a top mesh of triangles with nothing underneath. Occlusion is working now, and when you are deep enough in a mine you aren't rendering anything in the world above you now.

I'm mostly calm. It irks me when gamers think they are game designers, there is a lot of thought into planning a feature or at least there should be. There is a lot more to it than people realize. The best designs we've done someone spent quite a bit of time on paper poking holes in it with the team before any code was written.

We made the best choice given the goals at the time. Of course it could be reworked but its another thing for another game really. Oblivion didn't have dual wielding but Skyrim did, albeit kind of clunky in a couple of ways. We don't have distinction between one and two handed laid out properly nor animation support for off hand or any logic to solve eating or bandaging, which are getting high fidelity animations and models.

Hello there!

Long time listener.......semi first time caller. Guess I'll open up with the standard "Huge fan, thanks for fantastic game!".

Anyway, as a long time lurker of the forums I remember seeing a while back Roland was hinting at Legendary Quality Items in the past when questions arose about once established why you would want to continue scavenging in the world.

I personally really enjoyed this idea and wondered with the Item changes proposed in A18 is this possibly on the docket?

Welcome and thanks. I loved the phantasm movies, they were pretty good for the era they were in. Later on I became a mopar enthusiast and watched it just to see the Cuda in action.

We now have random stats on all guns and armor, so to me this is a major step towards legendary. I'd like legendary to have a unique mod or attribute though as well, and be procedurally installed. This won't happen in A18 though. What we have gives the game a ton of legs and desire to keep going is strong.

I'm mostly calm. It irks me when gamers think they are game designers, there is a lot of thought into planning a feature or at least there should be. There is a lot more to it than people realize. The best designs we've done someone spent quite a bit of time on paper poking holes in it with the team before any code was written.

We made the best choice given the goals at the time. Of course it could be reworked but its another thing for another game really. Oblivion didn't have dual wielding but Skyrim did, albeit kind of clunky in a couple of ways. We don't have distinction between one and two handed laid out properly nor animation support for off hand or any logic to solve eating or bandaging, which are getting high fidelity animations and models.

Well, in Skryim with dual swords, you could do a really neat decapition in slow motion (scissor effect), so I wouldn't call that clunky. :)

NO, I don't want that kind of death cam thing for 7dtd. That's just an invitation for other zeds to eat you while you're oohing and aahhing over the pretty animation. :p

Bigger F'n Guns! That's what I want. (and yes, I mean a cannon!) heh.

funny, you keep telling him to calm down while you edge him on about stuff he says they will not do. oh and hi and i couldnt pass that one up. :)

I may have missed a definitive decision on whether dual-wielding will eventually be included or not.

Apologies if the light goading doesn't travel the Atlantic well. I've heard that Americans can find it difficult to deal with the British insult-based humour. We're a weird bunch. :-)

The zombies are indiscriminate when smashing stuff to get to you.

Zombies might be. But i find it much more pleasing to return to nice house with garden and thicc outer walls than to a stupid tower. Unless the tower is part of the house. I saw your castle, MM, you should know what i mean :p

That's why you should never hire a zombie as an architect. They have no sense of aesthetics.

Exactly.

<snipped for space>

I've made these decisions myself, still do. I know the difficulties.

Fair enough if you haven't got the resources available for it. It's a popular mechanic though. Maybe the extra work will be worth it later down the line, maybe not. :-)

Ok, so how do you reload or use a two handed weapon then? Shall we light you on fire when the torch clips through your arm? No means no for many obvious reasons, its a great design giving you incentive to find a better light, if you can use a torch on day 1 like a head or gun light source, you have end game functionality and no incentive to loot and upgrade.

You are asking for a boatload of work and it would take away more than it adds.

It does not ask for "unconditional implementation" - he proposes the idea, and wondered whether it is possible to implement it.

You gave an adequate reason why it is difficult to perform - and the question was clarified.

That's all.

Thank You.

Zombies might be. But i find it much more pleasing to return to nice house with garden and thicc outer walls than to a stupid tower. Unless the tower is part of the house. I saw your castle, MM, you should know what i mean :p

Why does "home" have to equal "horde base"? You can have it all by building a nice aesthetically pleasing home that you live in 6 days of the week...

Welcome and thanks. I loved the phantasm movies, they were pretty good for the era they were in. Later on I became a mopar enthusiast and watched it just to see the Cuda in action.

We now have random stats on all guns and armor, so to me this is a major step towards legendary. I'd like legendary to have a unique mod or attribute though as well, and be procedurally installed. This won't happen in A18 though. What we have gives the game a ton of legs and desire to keep going is strong.

My man!

You and me both, glad to see you snatched the Phantasm reference. Huge Mopar enthusiast myself, not exactly a Hemi Cuda, but I've been showing a custom 16 Challenger I built for the last 2 years.

Thanks for clarifying my question, I do really enjoy the scavenging and the excitement you get from walking into a POI and hoping to get some High Quality loot, it really makes me sad once I've loaded up on everything and have no recourse really but to restart the game.

How's about another question here then, will we get any work in progress Video's or pictures of the Kamikaze Zombie that you have planned for A18? Going along with my previous question I really think some more enemy variety is great, as of now Rad Zombies and Ferals only get so hard when you've established your empire, one of the reasons I was really sad to see the Behemoth dropped initially, was looking forward to the added difficulty complexity he would bring.

Why does "home" have to equal "horde base"? You can have it all by building a nice aesthetically pleasing home that you live in 6 days of the week...

I don't want to return from adrenaline vacation and find some random zombies that do not pay rent :( And because it gives me the more reasons to deffend it properly. Especially in multiplayer with few friends. You could make a little village, where everyone has their house with a little flower garden, maybe some deco. Then have specialized building for each person. You know, warehouse, blacksmith, mine, engeneering tower, garage, granary with kitchen.. :)

I may have missed a definitive decision on whether dual-wielding will eventually be included or not.

Apologies if the light goading doesn't travel the Atlantic well. I've heard that Americans can find it difficult to deal with the British insult-based humour. We're a weird bunch. :-)

Its just hard to tell in a forum at least drop a smiley or something so we know. Otherwise it can come off as insulting.

I love insult based humor, we grew up burning each other at every opportunity and we're all in our 50's and some nearing 60 and it hasn't stopped or even slowed down.

The new saying I made up is Rick hadn't played in a long time and was making some bad decisions and got rekt a bunch of times. Now I said "don't get ricked (ryhmes with rekt)" and was LOL'ing about it. Oh what happened? He got ricked lol. :)

Archived