Death penalty is too much!

Dragonsblade71uk

For the time being, casuals like myself who don't want an entire playsession ruined by a ninja dog, hit F1 and type 'debuff buffNearDeathTrauma' and it goes away. You can also modify buffs.xml in SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Config and go to the entry with line beginning "<buff name="buffNearDeathTrauma"", and set the duration to 900 (15 mins).

For the time being, casuals like myself who don't want an entire playsession ruined by a ninja dog, hit F1 and type 'debuff buffNearDeathTrauma' and it goes away. You can also modify buffs.xml in SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\7 Days To Die\Data\Config and go to the entry with line beginning "<buff name="buffNearDeathTrauma"", and set the duration to 900 (15 mins).

I might do this, because 60 minutes is far to long for how much this debuff screws you. I just got rid of it, then I died again, due to a psychic zombie that could somehow seem me in total darkness because I took half a step while he was on the floor below. They really need to fix zombies hearing thru walls and floors.

Nonsense.

Not buying one word of that.

If you lose the intel stats, you can end up crafting lower tier things for an hour. Thats what he means. i'm lv 15 and when I die i am stuck at 1 int for an hour (I have 3) so it pretty much kills me if I need to craft anything with tiers.

Thanks mate I still need to test the default version, since I have been at work and couldnt try a17 yet. But I will likely make this change too. I cant spend half my gaming session each day without beeing able to do stuff.

I'm in the same boat. Like many of us, real life demands too much of our time and attention, leaving little time for things like playing games. I fired up a server last night, and three of us went romping through Navezgane (which is beautiful, btw...). We had no problem, encountered no bugs, but we all died several times and spent almost of our time nerfed because of our near death experiences. For those with limited time to play and not enough skill/experience to keep from getting killed from time to time, this is almost a game breaker.

OK, I do admit that sometimes I use the Leroy Jenkins approach, but I gotta tell you - you simply cannot stand there with a wooden club and go toe to toe with a zombie. it won't end well.

Make it less time, or give us a recipe to make that'll get rid of it. I don't mind the penalty, it makes sense, but when you die back to back times because you're getting your stuff back after getting ninja'd by a zombie, it gets kinda frustrating. Plus the stats going back to level 1 for a full day (in my case, an hour) completely ruins an entire day of being productive.

Edit: Also, that yellow bar around the screen, especially at night, damn these guys are cruel.

Right now, my play time in a given night is 20-90 minutes depending on how cooperative the kid is with bedtime. If I get a penalty that takes the full hour of my play time, I'm just going to opt out of playing. I'm not going to AFK for an hour. I'm not going to struggle for an hour. I have enough struggle in my normal life. I'll just go play another game.

That being said, it's why I'm a proponent of options. So, if there's options built in that allow me to pick the death penalty I'm all for that. There's plenty of different ways to bring challenge to the game.

My 2 cents? The people complaining about the death penalty need to change how they are playing. This is NOT A16! Zombies are actually something that will mess up your day! Play accordingly. If you want to yolo on in and die a lot you're not going to enjoy the result. Don't be ashamed to drop the settings a notch from where you played A16.

I'm not going to struggle for an hour. I have enough struggle in my normal life. I'll just go play another game.

Should be editable with xmls. Maybe someone who has searched where it is can help. But you can't expect zero consequences from the base game. It's a survival.

My 2 cents? The people complaining about the death penalty need to change how they are playing. This is NOT A16! Zombies are actually something that will mess up your day! Play accordingly. If you want to yolo on in and die a lot you're not going to enjoy the result. Don't be ashamed to drop the settings a notch from where you played A16.

I played it on survivor, the lowest, and died 8 times in 2 days. That`s the first 2 days of the game. Sure only 3 was after level 5 but still.

I also have 1600 hours playtime.

I`ve had Feral zombies, wolves, dogs, vultures in those 2 days. Also had mobs just seemingly appear out of nowhere behind me, with no indication till they are hitting you.

Everyone of my deaths was pretty much unavoidable, I walked 1 step, somehow aggroed a zombie on the floor below me, which he then bascally gps'ed right to me and killed me before I could even stand out. I think they are a tad too senstive to noises especally at night. Couldn't hit him because it was pitch black and didn't have night vision, so couldn't even see in front of me. Pretty much every death for me in a17 was the same, some how one step somehow aggros everything from a floor or 2 away.

I also feel the zombies chance to make you bleed is set stupidly high, almost everytime I get hit I am bleeding.

If you keep experiencing death over and over maybe lower the in game difficulty? Change it so zombies only walk all the time. Increase the amount of loot collected to 200%.. Put on some freaken armor and keep bandages ready to heal yourself with. The penalty is fine. It makes it so death has a consequence. People always seem to always want everything on freaken easy mode.

If you keep experiencing death over and over maybe lower the in game difficulty? Change it so zombies only walk all the time. Increase the amount of loot collected to 200%.. Put on some freaken armor and keep bandages ready to heal yourself with. The penalty is fine. It makes it so death has a consequence. People always seem to always want everything on freaken easy mode.

I had a near full scrap armor set on, it didn't seem to do jack :p. Stoping zombies from running at night would probally help a ton, I don't mind special zombies running but them being abel to run when they can't during the day just because its night has always been silly to me... Then again, them being able to punch thru stone, steel and concrete is even more silly to me, than zombies running at night.

But you died. The penalty should be inflicted and end with death. Having a prolonged disability after death doesnt really make sense--at least with wellness decrease the penalty was inflicted and that was the end of it. Being crippled for something that happened in a past life is silly.

I skipped a lot of this thread cause i'm in a hurry. Ill read it later today for sure but i wanted to say this.

First question. Does the death penalty put all your stats to zero or not? What's the penalty please. Also does the penalty stack on further deaths?

Second. I don't really have much of an issue with the death penalty atm but i would also be ok with putting it from 60 to like 30 mins, 15 is too short.

I'm one of those who worry about new or casual players. I want people to play this game. You have a group of hardcore who want more challenge, more challenge, more challenge. I think alpha 17 definitely leans to the challenging side. But the mods are all hardcore now. I say keep vanilla accessible to the masses and let the hardcore move to mods. After the recent change to WotW id argue there are no more mods for the casuals and seems most want vanilla to follow that line too. I want a game for the casuals to play. And don't say turn down the difficulty cause i can always say the same to you, turn up the difficulty :p

Furthermore. As far as the "no death penalty" thing. Does anyone think about the corpse runs? I died 3 times in my first 2 videos and i had zombies camping my bag every time and that's not even considering the run back.

Just my 2c

I skipped a lot of this thread cause i'm in a hurry. Ill read it later today for sure but i wanted to say this.

First question. Does the death penalty put all your stats to zero or not? What's the penalty please. Also does the penalty stack on further deaths?

Second. I don't really have much of an issue with the death penalty atm but i would also be ok with putting it from 60 to like 30 mins, 15 is too short.

I'm one of those who worry about new or casual players. I want people to play this game. You have a group of hardcore who want more challenge, more challenge, more challenge. I think alpha 17 definitely leans to the challenging side. But the mods are all hardcore now. I say keep vanilla accessible to the masses and let the hardcore move to mods. After the recent change to WotW id argue there are no more mods for the casuals and seems most want vanilla to follow that line too. I want a game for the casuals to play. And don't say turn down the difficulty cause i can always say the same to you, turn up the difficulty :p

Furthermore. As far as the "no death penalty" thing. Does anyone think about the corpse runs? I died 3 times in my first 2 videos and i had zombies camping my bag every time and that's not even considering the run back.

Just my 2c

I died alot, it reduces your attributes 1 or 2 points. If you have 4 points in strength you may loose 2 for 24hr in game. It seems to only effect the attrubutes randomly and dont stack from what i have seen.

Just my 2c

A16.4 on all the hardest difficulty was way too easy for anyone with a little experience. Where as A17 on all the easiest settings, like zombies only walk,etc, would most definitely not be too hard for a casual player.

I'm one of those who worry about new or casual players. I want people to play this game. You have a group of hardcore who want more challenge, more challenge, more challenge. I think alpha 17 definitely leans to the challenging side. But the mods are all hardcore now. I say keep vanilla accessible to the masses and let the hardcore move to mods. After the recent change to WotW id argue there are no more mods for the casuals and seems most want vanilla to follow that line too. I want a game for the casuals to play.

Worst suggestion ever in my opinion. What "masses" are you talking about? Yourself? The masses play with what you call "hardcore" mods. Mods have kept this game alive and mods show what the community wants. Having some consequences does not equal "hardcore gameplay" - it equals engaging gameplay, and without engaging gameplay don't expect people to play the game. Besides, it is easier to remove features than to add them like in the case of the death penalty.

Can we get over the "lrn2playdummy" reaction to people who don't like the death penalty? I think it's too harsh for newer or more casual players while at the same time not having a personal problem with it even though I've died WAY more times than I have in a long time and having fun learning the new play style.

I don't care if it's unpopular to say it.

I LIKE the death penalty.

I think it totally sucks dying and having to deal with that penalty and that makes dying scarier!

I'm extra anxious going into a POI now.

That's a good thing, at least for me.

I'm with you on this

Archived