Death penalty is too much!

Dragonsblade71uk

I made another post about it in general when I did not see this one, sorry about that. I think I am just not going to play this game for now because of the death debuff. It is terrible and it makes the game not enjoyable.

We are not having fun and the death debuff is the biggest reason why. I don't really need a bigger justification than that. We do not get much time to play games anymore and having an IRL hour taken up basically means we will not be able to play a lot of nights without the death debuff.

I do not think my wife has been without the death debuff at all after she hit level 5. I know you people on the internet will say "get good" or the like and my response to that is why waste our time "getting good" when we can just play a fun game...

I do not care about the merits of the death debuff at all right now. It needs to be a configurable option and that is it...

It IS a configurable option - you only need to edit the XML's and you can set it all the way down to 1 minute if you like.

It IS a configurable option - you only need to edit the XML's and you can set it all the way down to 1 minute if you like.

Yep. That's what I did. The amount of time I have to play is already very limited as it is, and I'm not going to be gimped for an hour of game play.

Oops lol I just now saw this thread. Which file (and where) do I need to edit to change the times? Thanks. BTW, it is a configurable option but not in the usual sense since the player has know which file to edit and where in the file (eg. the elements/tags) it is. So yeah changing this option is not for the average player.

Oops lol I just now saw this thread. Which file (and where) do I need to edit to change the times? Thanks. BTW, it is a configurable option but not in the usual sense since the player has know which file to edit and where in the file (eg. the elements/tags) it is. So yeah changing this option is not for the average player.

In the buffs.xml file. Find:

<buff name="buffNearDeathTrauma" name_key="buffNearDeathTraumaName" description_key="buffNearDeathTraumaDesc" tooltip_key="buffNearDeathTraumaTooltip" icon="ui_game_symbol_near_death_trauma" icon_color="255,128,0" remove_on_death="false">

<damage_type value="disease"/>

<stack_type value="replace"/>

<duration value="3600"/>

<update_rate value="90"/>

<effect_group>

Change the duration to whatever you like (down to 1 second, if you set it to 0 it'll be infinite).

I doubt you'll see a menu option for it any time soon, there's just too many things that can be configured.

Yep. That's what I did. The amount of time I have to play is already very limited as it is, and I'm not going to be gimped for an hour of game play.

XML is not what I mean and you know it. That is not at all acceptable for most users. It is a band-aid at best until TFP does something about it.

It needs to be in the options in the new game screen and it needs to be in the server config file as well at the very least.

In the buffs.xml file. Find:

<buff name="buffNearDeathTrauma" name_key="buffNearDeathTraumaName" description_key="buffNearDeathTraumaDesc" tooltip_key="buffNearDeathTraumaTooltip" icon="ui_game_symbol_near_death_trauma" icon_color="255,128,0" remove_on_death="false">

<damage_type value="disease"/>

<stack_type value="replace"/>

<duration value="3600"/>

<update_rate value="90"/>

<effect_group>

Change the duration to whatever you like (down to 1 second, if you set it to 0 it'll be infinite).

I doubt you'll see a menu option for it any time soon, there's just too many things that can be configured.

Thank you for that. THough I very much disagree if it is not something the devs are interested in changing. Most of the people in my circle have already stopped play. After my earlier posts my wife told me she was done with alpha 17, not because of bugs but because of the death debuff. A lot of great content is hiding behind this issue.

There should be some kind of death penalty, but thinking on this one I'm starting to come to the conclusion that a progressive penalty is the best long term solution. I know it's more code, but I think it would add a unique depth to the anti-progression penalty of dying. Something like this would be cool IMO(times are examples and pulled out of you-know-where):

1st Death on "stack" : -10 available stamina. Lasts 4 in-game hours.

2nd Death on stack : -1 to AGI or STR. Lasts 2 in-game hours, stops the countdown on the 1st Death timer.

3rd Death on stack : -1 to the stat not from 2nd death. Lasts 2 in-game hours. Stops 2nd death timer.

4th Death on stack : Another -10 available stamina, and a -1 to the 2nd Death stat. Lasts 2 in-game hours, Stops 3rd death timer.

Etc.

These can be compounded by adjustments from the difficulty setting, something like "Nomad = these, Scavenger = -50% time and penalties, Insane +250% time and penalties" meaning that if someone wants a harsher penalty, it's there (or, for those that want a slider for everything, this is one of the few things I could see being part of a "custom" difficulty level settings page).

XML is not what I mean and you know it. That is not at all acceptable for most users. It is a band-aid at best until TFP does something about it.

It needs to be in the options in the new game screen and it needs to be in the server config file as well at the very least.

There are literally THOUSANDS of configurable options to the game, Hammerofheaven. Just how long do you want the options screen to be?

If a player isn't going to learn how to edit XML, which is LITERALLY nothing more complicated than editing a text file with some (very) basic formatting parameters, then they're going to have to accept some pretty serious limitations to their modding and rely solely on the options screen, which is ALWAYS going to have the merest fraction of what CAN be modded.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for that. THough I very much disagree if it is not something the devs are interested in changing. Most of the people in my circle have already stopped play. After my earlier posts my wife told me she was done with alpha 17, not because of bugs but because of the death debuff. A lot of great content is hiding behind this issue.

They are, in fact, changing it.

What I said though, is you're not likely to see an in-game options menu option for it. It will likely remain up to the player to edit the XML if they choose to move off the TFP set default.

• 2 weeks later...

Put me down as loathing the "Near Death Trauma" penalty, A.K.A. the "Guys, I'm going AFK for 30 minutes" penalty. It's just draconian, even after being cut from 60 to 30 minutes.

What -- dying isn't penalty enough? Why do I lose skills? Why 30 minutes of real time? It's not bad enough that I lost my stuff, have to respawn and go back and try to get it, and already have to suffer a lower stamina and health as a result? Now I have to live with it for half an hour and can't craft the same stuff before I got killed? This is way unbalanced.

IMO, drop it to 15 minutes max. It shouldn't impact skills. And it shouldn't grind down my stamina so relentlessly. Generally when you get killed you're in a bad place already, but the penalty as is just grinds salt into open wounds. It's not fun, balanced or reasonable, it's just vindictive.

I have no issue with the "death penalty" (in the game of course, not in real life!).

What I would do is amend it to be a decrementing value. You shouldn't go from 100% to 0% at the end of the time period.

That said, as penalties throughout the game affect far more of your character than before, you could probably argue almost all of them should be on a gradual slope than a cliff edge. Food poisoning, for example, you should get better slowly, not just suddenly lose it.

F1 console menu:

Debuff buffNearDeathTrauma

removes the debuff.

I'll accept the debuff if i got caught in the open by something, or i died to disease or in a real fight.

I console command the debuff out when i die to the "♥♥♥♥ you" floors in POIs, or because the final room in a POI is filled with ferals and only enterable via a ladder in a small shaft, so you instantly wake them up and then can't let go of the ladder, or glitching up on top of a zombie that's been knocked down, and then suffering lethal fall damage when i step off the zombie onto the ground (2m away)

Skipped to the end cuz I ain't reading every post so if someone's already said this, here it is again:

Old death penalty = permanent health loss

New penalty = 1 hour inconvenience.

New penalty is not as harsh as the old one. Stop your whining. No crying in the apocalypse.

Skipped to the end cuz I ain't reading every post so if someone's already said this, here it is again:

New penalty is not as harsh as the old one. Stop your whining. No crying in the apocalypse.

New penalty = 30 minute inconvenience

FTFY

Jeez folks, try to at least accept some challenge. We've had ppl complaining about digging zombies already, I've watched streams where ppl die on purpose to fast travel back to base as they've already died 20 times. This is disgusting. Death should have massive penalties, it's a survival game, dead is dead should be the default if you ask me. Learn from your mistakes, put points in armor and health instead of tool and cement upgrades.

But TFP can't please everyone, would be surprised if it wasn't moddable in xml files.

How do you play dead is dead?

- - - Updated - - -

Jeez folks, try to at least accept some challenge. We've had ppl complaining about digging zombies already, I've watched streams where ppl die on purpose to fast travel back to base as they've already died 20 times. This is disgusting. Death should have massive penalties, it's a survival game, dead is dead should be the default if you ask me. Learn from your mistakes, put points in armor and health instead of tool and cement upgrades.

But TFP can't please everyone, would be surprised if it wasn't moddable in xml files.

Never thought of dying

- - - Updated - - -

Never thought of dying 2 fast travel lol

You're comparing apples to oranges here. In the old system you lost wellness but could easily regain that wellness by eating vitamins and food/drinks that increase wellness.

In the new system there is no wellness per say so you're just losing 1 hour actually now 30 minutes of RL time and your skills are decreased in that time period. You lose a lot of productivity. Honestly 30 minutes isn't that bad now. Obviously the lower your ingame days to RL hours the worse it is for you. Eg. For 40 min days its almost an entire ingame day of lowered skills. IMO I think that they should reduce it to 20 minutes (to match with available settings) but I'm OK with 30 minutes as well.

If you still want to compare I'd say the new death penalty is worse than the old one, actually.

Archived