Death penalty is too much!

Dragonsblade71uk

Dont compare this post to that one. That other post must be a troll. It even says zombies shouldnt even be able to break walls or any block...

This post isnt even complaining about a death penalty, but about it lasting an hour of gameplay. I havent tested it so I wont say I agree, yet. But if the penalty not only makes me weaker, but also prevents me from doing stuff, like it seems it does bc or removing skills, then I will agree with him. I have 2 hours of game time each day, I wont spend 1 of them not beeing able to craft a friking thing I need.

Yeah it's harsh on those who don't have much time to play. Hopefully it's easily changeable in the xml files.

I just see it as adding more challenge and honestly if I don't want those debuffs I prioritize staying alive, all points into armor and health if needs be, change the way I play, definitely pick my fights. This is the whole point of a survival game for me, making the right decisions in whatever circumstances I come across, not I want to build a house right now or i want to rush for the best weapons in the game, which gets people killed and then complain they have debuffs for however long.

But as others have suggested there is god mode / console to let people continue playing as they choose.

Diablo 2 had it were death cost you XP and gold.

Gold was pretty much meh after a certain point, but XP now, that would hurt.

It could never drop you below your current level, but it would slow your progression.

Early on, no big deal, but later on? Losing 25% of your XP for that level, when you need say, 1 mil xp to get to next level?

umf.

I forget the actual % amt, but if you look up the tables on how much you need to level up, you'll see what I mean.

WoW gave a debuff after death for a bit, + damage to your stuff that cost to repair. (no debuff there tho)

The repair bits tho.. "ok, all my stuff is broken, need to to repair" was a common cry.

(no point in xp penalty in wow, as once you hit max level..)

Yes, death should have a penalty, I agree. However, there are times when the game just sneaks up, shoots you in the back of the head, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. (hence my aversion to ded is ded)

YMMV of course.

I don't think that not having much time to play is related to that. Most of us have jobs. Unless one is in a hurry to somehow "complete" the game.

I don't understand what you mean, Kalarro states only 2hrs game time each day, I guessed because of work, I'm also working, unless you mean it's not related to building or wanting good loot?

It's just a generalization, just for me survival is making choices in challenging conditions, I know it's different for everyone but if I can't build/craft/make something for 1 hour then it's because of my own mistake and I find something else to do in that hour. The fun / challenge for me is working out that mistake and try not to let it happen. It's very possible to have to zero deaths on the hardest settings, without going underground.

Nonsense.

Not buying one word of that.

It lowers your attributes. IE, if you need 5 intelligence to craft something, you have

5 intelligence, and die, you'll have less intelligence and cannot craft before it is back

up at 5.

Still, take this with a grain or ten of salt, after all, i haven't played A17 yet.

I don't understand what you mean, Kalarro states only 2hrs game time each day, I guessed because of work, I'm also working, unless you mean it's not related to building or wanting good loot?

Yes, that's what I mean. Being able to play a little is not an excuse for wanting better loot/fewer penalties. I as well don't have time to play much anymore - each of us can dedicate their own amount of time into the game. Why would anyone who can't play much make progression shorter, increase loot and reduce penalties? To hasten their rate of progression towards "completing" the game in real time?

I fully support a heavier penalty for deaths. I completely agree that it should be more than a temporary inconvenience. ie. "Now I need to walk back to my bag boo hoo". Wellness loss stunk, but from what I'm reading here I think it's a step in the right direction.

That said, my additional thoughts:

1. Why not implement this as a percentage XP loss? So if you die X amount of times in Y period of time, you'd see Z% less XP per action. If you die a lot, you stop progressing. If you don't die, you progress faster.

2. Perhaps implement a similar system that is configurable at the server config level. Hard-code certain limitations (I won't presume to know TFP's balancing considerations with other features of the update), but allow server owners to have some flexibility with their settings. Those that want a more hardcore experience could configure it. Perhaps tie it in with difficulty?

At the end of the day, though, it seems like some needed to be reminded that this is a survival game. And feeling the consequence of death is a core tenant/atom of good game design. So The Fun Pimps are doing well in that regard.

I'm a wimp moleperson and the death penalty seems fair and acceptable. Avoid death like the plague. When you are low level avoid Zombies as if they had the plague, which they do. It is just like being infected with no honey or antibiotics, you lose abilities while it is active.

I own Don't Starve, I hate Don't starve. Death is too harsh, learning curve is ridiculous (and I play Eve Online). 7Days has been the best game I've played in recent memory. It has almost everything to be perfect. More backstory and more NPC 's would make it just about perfect. I wish i could play MP on a server, but I get frustrated with PVP, griefers, and stupidity.

Remember when Don't Starve first came out? The death penalty was severe - your character, game and progress were all deleted. EVERYTHING gone. While some people loved that, it also caused massive push back. For the most part, that feature was despised by the player base and it didn't take long for some resurrection mods to come out.

"For the most part, that feature was despised by the player base "

As a long time Don't Starve player, I disagree with this because if the backlash had been so bad, Klei would have changed it themselves. It's easy to think that the very vocal complainers represent the majority but that's not necessarily the case. Luckily Klei stayed true to their vision because the "dead is dead" mechanic is an integral game-play mechanic which creates a lot of very thrilling moments, and it's also one of the reasons that the game is so re-playable. In fact Klei went even more severe with their penalties and introduced bosses who would wipe out your entire base within a few minutes, and a new expansion which is supposed to be even more brutal. The game does provide modding and options to cater to different play-styles, however overall Klei have stuck to their vision for that game rather than watering it down trying to please everyone.

The ironic thing is that the original Don't Starve is now considered too easy (hence why they are making it harder). Despite the initial "backlash" from some people, eventually players learnt the tactics of the game and were able to survive much better. That's why it's important for people to give TFP's time to let players adapt to the new mechanics, because its hard to know what mechanics need tweaking without people actually spending time playing and sharing advice.

It has almost everything to be perfect. More backstory and more NPC 's would make it just about perfect. I wish i could play MP on a server, but I get frustrated with PVP, griefers, and stupidity.

I completely agree, having more backstory and npc's (neutral, friendly, hostile, roaming random traders) would be nice, but i'm also happy with what looks to be coming out in A17. Guess we'll see what happens with this later.

Far as MP, i didn't do it on console because people generally were just griefers, and i didn't have a lot of people to play with ingame anyway. Now that i've migrated to PC, I'm not sure. There's likely a bunch of nice people who wouldn't mind co-op play and who could play well enough, i just haven't been on it long enough in this format to really know (and i tend to play solo anyway).

First Impression. Dying... a pain, but tolerable. Having your backpack waypoint despawn because you ran over it, die again trying to find it, followed by spending more than a day in failure... all trying to find the original backpack: Not tolerable. Definitely not fun. I don't mind the game being hard, but recovery after death shouldn't feel like a pixelhunt game.

Also... the distribution of zombies in the wild is a little too spread out. I couldn't even harvest a boar, without being surprised and eventually killed. Basically I had to avoid zombies every 10 - 15sec or battle them, and this was crouched.

Agreed - an hour is way too long. That's an entire play session for many people. While I agree with there being a death penalty I think a maximum of 20 minutes is reasonable. Having just been the victim of a ninja direwolf and now being stuck crippled I really feel the pain.

Seems like an excellent idea to tie this to difficulty as others have suggested, particularly since the role difficulty plays in combat has really lessened through the development process (I'm finding "Insane" in A17 only slightly tougher than "Warrior" for example).

Something like

Insane = 60 minutes

Survivalist = 30 or 40 minutes

Warrior = 15 or 20 minutes

Nomad = 10 minutes

Adventurer = 5 minutes

Scav = 0 minutes

sounds reasonable to me.

Seems like an excellent idea to tie this to difficulty as others have suggested, particularly since the role difficulty plays in combat has really lessened through the development process (I'm finding "Insane" in A17 only slightly tougher than "Warrior" for example).

Something like

Insane = 60 minutes

Nomad = 10 minutes

Adventurer = 5 minutes

Scav = 0 minutes

sounds reasonable to me.

LOVE this idea!

I`m not fighting against the dealth penalty, just that its too long. As i said 15minutes. A whole hour (Realtime), is too long.

Strongly agree. A full real-time hour is too long. I love that the zombies are more challenging now; but jeez, that penalty duration sucks the fun out. Perhaps TFP can make this a "moddable" option in the start up menu- after all, we have options for items dropped upon death (inventory, toolbar, delete all). Please let us choose how hardcore we want to play.

Strongly agree. A full real-time hour is too long. I love that the zombies are more challenging now; but jeez, that penalty duration sucks the fun out. Perhaps TFP can make this a "moddable" option in the start up menu- after all, we have options for items dropped upon death (inventory, toolbar, delete all). Please let us choose how hardcore we want to play.

It's less fun than a broken leg! Imagine that.

Something like

Insane = 60 minutes

Nomad = 10 minutes

Adventurer = 5 minutes

Scav = 0 minutes

sounds reasonable to me.

This is an excellent idea :)

This is just one of those one side will agree and the other side will not. Personally think 15 min is to short. Personally think 1 hour and you are good to go is to short when you think of it that way. So really all one can do is mod it the way it fits them because not all will agree what is good or not.

Something like

Insane = 60 minutes

Nomad = 10 minutes

Adventurer = 5 minutes

Scav = 0 minutes

sounds reasonable to me.

+1 for this.

Really great idea!

Wouldn't it be better to leave it at 60 but on insane you lose skill points when you die?

Yes good idea but at the same time a lot more would need to be done to difficulty levels to do this. I for one would be all for that I have brought that up before but until that happens I wouldn't want just this added like that.

1 hour is way too long for casual players!

My personal opinion

Insane = 60 minutes

Survivalist = 45 minutes

Warrior = 30 minutes

Nomad = 20 minutes

Adventurer = 10 minutes

Scav = 0 minutes

I dropped the 5 minutes, since 5 minutes is the same as 0 in my opinion.

You could go downstairs, grab a can of mountain dew, take a piss and your good to go.

Archived