Death penalty is too much!

Dragonsblade71uk

A lot of the early feedback is hyperbole because people don't have all the facts. This is one of those situations.

The death penalty is not that severe.

Personally i would like to see a permanent XP (or level) penalty added. :) And Dead is Dead, obvisouly :p

Loving this idea. Death should be scary.

The interesting thing is that only one of the many streamers I watched thought that it was horrible and must die in a fire.

Compounding this was that this one guy had a completely wrong idea of what that debuff actually does...

Others were "worried that new players would find it too harsh"... while they themselves thought that it was good.

Do we want to be that condescending to the mythical New Player? You know, that person we all once were?

If you were this new player, would you want "experienced players" telling you that this is too hard for you to understand or cope with?

A lot of the early feedback is hyperbole because people don't have all the facts. This is one of those situations.

The death penalty is not that severe.

Personally i would like to see a permanent XP (or level) penalty added. :) And Dead is Dead, obvisouly :p

Like I said above. If understood and balanced properly (and we are working on descriptions and such) it's not that bad.

We want a penalty that players feel. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT.

There are already multiple "newbie protection" features at work, like regening your food/health back up to x if you die below level y.

All of these gradually fade away as you level up.

A17: The death penalty can increase with successive deaths and it resets the timer so even if you die once, you are not automatically immune to penalties - as some have assumed.

It also scales so no - it does not block out every possible progress. That kind of hyperbole won't get anyone taken seriously.

Does it also scale with the difficulty level you're playing on?

Yeah what's this five day grace period about?

Is that a zombie scaling thing or does it apply to death penalty as well or what?

I swear I saw something in the patch notes.

Just player level.

That way we don't have to scale anything to however fast a player chooses to advance.

Maybe it is just me, but with every new alpha release there has been an initial period where I accept the fact that my character and/or my world may become unplayable and I have to start over. It is a learning curve. In 16 it happened a lot because I had gotten used to being the miner and crafter, and as such I built up my gamestage too fast and was unable to defend myself against even the wondering hoards. Looking at the massive churn of A17, I am betting the first few weeks will be full of fun and frustration and probably several restarts. To me, that is part of the challenge. YMMV.

See now... I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not....

Funny, people tell this to me a LOT in real life :p

But seriously, I am genuinely excited, I was spamming for these things for years!

Do we want to be that condescending to the mythical New Player? You know, that person we all once were?

We want a penalty that players feel. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT.

Very well said. Being a new player is a short transitional state - making sure that there is a smooth learning curve is prudent but sacrificing vital mechanics that enable engaging gameplay is counter-productive and in the end you end up with a "indifferent veteran".

I thought the death penalty was a great feature. A streamer named Grand Spartan had a -2 or -3 and was able to counter it (was trying to buy a certain perk before realizing he couldn't due to the deaths). He was able to counter it with a point schematic / paper. So even though it was an hour long he was still able to counter the momentary drop in level and progress in his game.

I thought the death penalty was a great feature. A streamer named Grand Spartan had a -2 or -3 and was able to counter it (was trying to buy a certain perk before realizing he couldn't due to the deaths). He was able to counter it with a point schematic / paper. So even though it was an hour long he was still able to counter the momentary drop in level and progress in his game.

That's a good reason to save those magazines. I think certain clothing items gives buffs too, those old useless eyeglasses give +1 to perception now.

Jeez folks, try to at least accept some challenge. We've had ppl complaining about digging zombies already, I've watched streams where ppl die on purpose to fast travel back to base as they've already died 20 times. This is disgusting. Death should have massive penalties, it's a survival game, dead is dead should be the default if you ask me. Learn from your mistakes, put points in armor and health instead of tool and cement upgrades.

But TFP can't please everyone, would be surprised if it wasn't moddable in xml files.

Dont compare this post to that one. That other post must be a troll. It even says zombies shouldnt even be able to break walls or any block...

This post isnt even complaining about a death penalty, but about it lasting an hour of gameplay. I havent tested it so I wont say I agree, yet. But if the penalty not only makes me weaker, but also prevents me from doing stuff, like it seems it does bc or removing skills, then I will agree with him. I have 2 hours of game time each day, I wont spend 1 of them not beeing able to craft a friking thing I need.

Oh, had read this again somewhere, that buff scrolls are now a thing. Definitely not a fan, but will have to see them in game.

Oh, had read this again somewhere, that buff scrolls are now a thing. Definitely not a fan, but will have to see them in game.

Yeah they look interesting.

After watching several Streams I figure the thing to do is use them up as you get them.

[Maybe save one or two for the Death Penalty but that's it.]

They are fairly abundant.

Too many of the Streamers were hanging on to them.

Seems like the beginning of the game is where adding a couple levels is going to make the MOST difference.

Problem with death penalty ATM is that it makes it so have to wait to craft something because it reduces your skills. I think it would be better to have a xp penilaity. Having it so for any amount time you lose ability to craft a item can basically just make it so don't want to play for that amount of time and sit and wait. This is not good game design if players are just walking away from game to waste time a game mechanic has imposed on you.

Problem with death penalty ATM is that it makes it so have to wait to craft something because it reduces your skills. I think it would be better to have a xp penilaity. Having it so for any amount time you lose ability to craft a item can basically just make it so don't want to play for that amount of time and sit and wait. This is not good game design if players are just walking away from game to waste time a game mechanic has imposed on you.

Nonsense.

Not buying one word of that.

Nonsense.

Not buying one word of that.

Well I agree with every word. OFC, Im waiting to try it before really agreeing or disasgreeing. But any mechanic that prevents me from doing stuff for 1 real hour... no thx. Beeing weaker and making doing things harder? Sure. But just removing the option to craft/do soemthing? For an entire hour?

Jeez folks, try to at least accept some challenge. We've had ppl complaining about digging zombies already, I've watched streams where ppl die on purpose to fast travel back to base as they've already died 20 times. This is disgusting. Death should have massive penalties, it's a survival game, dead is dead should be the default if you ask me. Learn from your mistakes, put points in armor and health instead of tool and cement upgrades.

But TFP can't please everyone, would be surprised if it wasn't moddable in xml files.

That is what makes 7D stand out from the pack (one of the things anyhow). We can mod it to play the way we want to play, not the way someone else tells us to play.

Remember when Don't Starve first came out? The death penalty was severe - your character, game and progress were all deleted. EVERYTHING gone. While some people loved that, it also caused massive push back. For the most part, that feature was despised by the player base and it didn't take long for some resurrection mods to come out.

TFP gets it right - they let us decide what kind of game experience we want, from stupidly peaceful and easy to insanely death-guaranteed difficult.

That is what makes 7D stand out from the pack (one of the things anyhow). We can mod it to play the way we want to play, not the way someone else tells us to play.

Remember when Don't Starve first came out? The death penalty was severe - your character, game and progress were all deleted. EVERYTHING gone. While some people loved that, it also caused massive push back. For the most part, that feature was despised by the player base and it didn't take long for some resurrection mods to come out.

TFP gets it right - they let us decide what kind of game experience we want, from stupidly peaceful and easy to insanely death-guaranteed difficult.

This is so true. It's quite toxic over at the Steam forums demanding this and that, it's unfortunate they don't realize how good TFP have made it easily moddable to the community.

Yeah Don't Starve was great. It's a shame more people don't enjoy dead is dead settings. The tension it brings is what I play games for. Knowing I respawn or no penalties when dying puts me off most games. It makes you play stupid, doesn't improve your skills or question what you did wrong and how to solve that problem. Even the respawning sleeper bug in A16 can be seen as a great challenge, made me more aware of my surroundings and always be ready for danger.

But to each their own.

Archived