Death penalty is too much!

Dragonsblade71uk

I don't care if it's unpopular to say it.

I LIKE the death penalty.

I think it totally sucks dying and having to deal with that penalty and that makes dying scarier!

I'm extra anxious going into a POI now.

That's a good thing, at least for me.

QFT Lucky.

There HAS to be some meaningful consequences to dying, and an the penalty seems to be reasonably long as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Can we get over the "lrn2playdummy" reaction to people who don't like the death penalty? I think it's too harsh for newer or more casual players while at the same time not having a personal problem with it even though I've died WAY more times than I have in a long time and having fun learning the new play style.

It's not about saying "lrn2playdummy", at least not for me, but a game where the player CAN die should have SOME meaningful penalty FOR dying.

I'm with kage on this one.

Why isn't death penaltya part of game difficulty. Seems appropriate.

Nomad can have 30min penalty, warrior 1h, survivalist 2h, insane 3h... there you go.

The difficult setting should effect more than damage made by player and zombie.

Its pretty fair cosidering you have unlimited lives and cant possibly lose.

I'm with kage on this one.

Why isn't death penaltya part of game difficulty. Seems appropriate.

Nomad can have 30min penalty, warrior 1h, survivalist 2h, insane 3h... there you go.

The difficult setting should effect more than damage made by player and zombie and gs.

When you consider you're less likely to do on those lower difficulty levels, and that therefore the death penalty is less likely to be applied in the first place, I don't think what you're suggesting is really necessary.

! hour realtime. You are set too level 1(For the duration), so all your skills are gone, and cannot spent any skill points during this time.

On top of what ever you drop is set too. toolbelt, backpack etc.

That is stupid.

Why is there a penalty at all? Are they *trying* to destroy immersion?

When you consider you're less likely to do on those lower difficulty levels, and that therefore the death penalty is less likely to be applied in the first place, I don't think what you're suggesting is really necessary.

Well we bleed as we were amputated nowadays. So a new player needs only to be hit twice to die first time.

First hit uses his/her free bandage.

Second hit. Dont know about cotton bandages and bleeds out.

Fin!

Or are the buffs managed by game difficulty?

If casuals find the game to difficult and they keep getting killed they can adjust the games difficulty. The game has settings they can change so zombies don't do as much damage, so blocks break faster, air drops are every day so they get better gear faster. The idea that the game is becoming to hardcore is nonsense if the players can still alter the settings to make gameplay either easier or more difficult. Some players just have inflated egos and don't want to put the game on easier settings so instead they want the game changed to be made easier for them.

Also the old war of the walker mods before it become slightly more difficult is proof that casuals and other players don't like a challenge and want a loot fest filled game where they become OP insanely quickly and can kill zombies with little to no issues. Wotw got a slight increase in difficulty and players lost their minds and started comparing it to freaken ravenhearst which is just insane.

Well we bleed as we were amputated nowadays. So a new player needs only to be hit twice to die first time.

First hit uses his/her free bandage.

Second hit. Dont know about cotton bandages and bleeds out.

Fin!

Or are the buffs managed by game difficulty?

Well, I do agree, we do seem to bleed rather easily. That would be an argument however for toning down the likelihood of bleeding, not the death penalty.

But you died. The penalty should be inflicted and end with death....

Yes and the save file deleted and you have to start all over again. To magically respawn with no or minimal consequences is even more absurd, but that's what ppl do and they repeat the same mistakes over and over and then complain the game is too hard.

...But the mods are all hardcore now. I say keep vanilla accessible to the masses and let the hardcore move to mods. After the recent change to WotW id argue there are no more mods for the casuals and seems most want vanilla to follow that line too. I want a game for the casuals to play. And don't say turn down the difficulty cause i can always say the same to you, turn up the difficulty :p

This is a strange comment. Not sure why u think ppl don't play on higher difficulties for more challenge, they do. And the fact that most mods up the challenge should tell u the game isn't difficult on default once new players learn the mechanics.

Yet you want more mods for casuals even though you're having trouble with vanilla and refuse to lower the difficulty. Nothing computes here.

With the weapons and loot WotW give u it's hardly classed as a hardcore challenge.

You can think what you want. But this will be a huge problem for new players. Especially as the starting protection seems to be gone. i clicked away the start messages and got attacked asap.

Even a new player starting on Scavenger level you think?

That to me would be the only time to really consider lowering default difficulties. If new players were generally, on Scavenger difficulty, finding the game too hard.

I like the challenge. I do think the penalty should be able to be negated by eating/healing/resting temp and etc, but there needs to be some penalty for dying. I hear "ninja zombies" well, put a headset on and pay attention. Lower the difficulty? I mean, everyone plays different and if you want to enjoy dying over and over with no penalty that's fine but let's not ruin it for those of us who actually crave the survival difficulty aspect. One reason I hated Diablo 3, you can die as many times as you like and keep tapping respawn. Some may find it fun, but it ruins it for those of us who crave a challenge. Mad about max HP? Well walk outside your house and punch some cotton, make and use bandages and presto there ya go. Please don't make the game easy like A16 was. That version felt more of a casual role-playing game and I would doze off playing it. Zero survival, no matter how I played then, even restricting myself to a non-trap iron-reinforced wooden base and disallowing looting zombies, I had enough stuff to fund the next 30 world wars and was dozing off on horde nights -- with the horde night, XML modded to mass zombie spawning.

Slight tweaking? Maybe. But let's not go back to A16, please...

Even a new player starting on Scavenger level you think?

That to me would be the only time to really consider lowering default difficulties. If new players were generally, on Scavenger difficulty, finding the game too hard.

default should be a challenge. But not a tedious one. That´s what higher difficulties are there for. Maybe that would be a solution, the higher the diffculty the longer the penalty?

default should be a challenge. But not a tedious one. That´s what higher difficulties are there for. Maybe that would be a solution, the higher the diffculty the longer the penalty?

As per a prior post though, the lower difficulty levels result in a lower chance of the penalty being applied in the first place, so I still don't think the penalties duration needs to be set individually to each level. That said, if the Pimps choose to do so, I'd certainly have no objection either.

I have to say I don't mind the penalty so much but the fact that it can drop you out of being able to craft stuff due to lower intelligence is bad imo. I can understand lower stamina, lower health, lower carry weight, etc. But to have to wait to recover to craft stuff is too limiting.

Otherwise the penalty is a nice idea. Maybe just make it lower physical stats or something?

I have to say I don't mind the penalty so much but the fact that it can drop you out of being able to craft stuff due to lower intelligence is bad imo. I can understand lower stamina, lower health, lower carry weight, etc. But to have to wait to recover to craft stuff is too limiting.

Otherwise the penalty is a nice idea. Maybe just make it lower physical stats or something?

Yes, I could see that being an issue that players might find a little TOO penalising. I'd concede that one.

Well, I do agree, we do seem to bleed rather easily. That would be an argument however for toning down the likelihood of bleeding, not the death penalty.

As i see it a overhaul of the game difficulty would be appropriate. It can involve xp, buffs, food/health degeneration and much more.

I bet you have like me a few hundred or thousand hours invested in the game.

We are not to be classified as casual och normal players and should by default want to play on higher difficulty.

As i see it a overhaul of the game difficulty would be appropriate. It can involve xp, buffs, food/health degeneration and much more.

I bet you have like me a few hundred or thousand hours invested in the game.

We are not to be classified as casual och normal players and should by default want to play on higher difficulty.

Well, it's over 3,000, so yeah, I don't think I'm a "new player" that's for sure.

Ultimately, if they want to make Scavenger super DUPER easy, I don't mind. There should be a VERY easy level for new players to start at. I still wouldn't want to see the death penalty timer reduced though, I think that would be not introducing the player to the mechanic sufficiently for when they do move to higher difficulty levels.

Seems like an excellent idea to tie this to difficulty as others have suggested, particularly since the role difficulty plays in combat has really lessened through the development process (I'm finding "Insane" in A17 only slightly tougher than "Warrior" for example).

Something like

Insane = 60 minutes

Survivalist = 30 or 40 minutes

Warrior = 15 or 20 minutes

Nomad = 10 minutes

Adventurer = 5 minutes

Scav = 0 minutes

sounds reasonable to me.

Seems like the better choice to me as well.

Vets got to keep their "challenge", and new players

gets it less rough. Win-win for everyone.

@Oz

Don´t get me wrong, a challenge is welcome. This challenge just has no fun factor at all. It´s just annoying.

Well, it's personal preference I guess. I do think the penalty shouldn't affect the ability to craft, as HungryZombie pointed out, so I'm not saying I think the penalty is perfectly configured as it currently stands either.

Seems like the better choice to me as well.

Vets got to keep their "challenge", and new players

gets it less rough. Win-win for everyone.

Yes, as long as they add the death timer as an independent option. Because I do want 60 minutes but don't really want bulletsponge zombies, so I usually choose nomad or warrior difficulty.

@Oz

Don´t get me wrong, a challenge is welcome. This challenge just has no fun factor at all. It´s just annoying.

i agree.

Not here to argue the point just want my opinion heard as well.

I too find it really Annoying, frustrating and disappointing to add a penalty to assets I've earned and used one of my precious points on, just because I died. This game was already superb just need smarter AI's, which you achieved however, you removed some of the best aspects of the game and added penalties and parkour. I have no problem with that parkour to get back on point... I am not an expert player never claimed to be, but I love the game too. If the experts want harder I say give it to them. Add the penalties to more advanced gameplay like expert or insane.

Archived