Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Roland, can you ask MM if we can have a set date for the A17-E release, this time around.

I know it's not their way of doing things :) But this is really dragging out, for an experimental release.

Just asking :)

Actually... to be fully accurate the maps are circles with a radius of 10k and not 10k by 10k squares. Kinyajuu said 8km by 8km for the new map but I’m assuming he meant 8km radius.

Assuming circles:

The old map was 314 square km and the new map is 201 square km. If the new map is a square then it really is a mighty reduction.

I've never managed to fully explore a rwg map myself anyway so the size diff is not going to bother me. What does bother me is the skill system, I mostly play the game solo, and this sounds like its going to really hurt single players. Maybe make leveling have a "softcap" where once you hit it, each exp level you get after is only 1 skill point? IMO a player should be allowed to get all the perks if they play long enough, just make it take a stupidly high level to pull it off. This way, it still matters until late endgame what you choose.

Actually... to be fully accurate the maps are circles with a radius of 10k and not 10k by 10k squares. Kinyajuu said 8km by 8km for the new map but I’m assuming he meant 8km radius.

Assuming circles:

The old map was 314 square km and the new map is 201 square km. If the new map is a square then it really is a mighty reduction.

I know I don't have to point this out to a math teacher but that's 1/3 less map to play on, sad face.

I've never managed to fully explore a rwg map myself anyway so the size diff is not going to bother me. What does bother me is the skill system, I mostly play the game solo, and this sounds like its going to really hurt single players. Maybe make leveling have a "softcap" where once you hit it, each exp level you get after is only 1 skill point? IMO a player should be allowed to get all the perks if they play long enough, just make it take a stupidly high level to pull it off. This way, it still matters until late endgame what you choose.

I second every word of this paragraph.

Roland, can you ask MM if we can have a set date for the A17-E release, this time around.

I know it's not their way of doing things :) But this is really dragging out, for an experimental release.

LOL.

You ask him...

have you ever coded anything? A while ago i had my husband drop me off at my teachers office to ask for help in finding a bug on my small homework assignment. He asked me when I would be done and i said "Either 5 minutes or an hour" maybe i was missing a semicolon or maybe It was a logic issue or maybe ... when the bug is found, it is found and when the game is done, it is done

have you ever coded anything? A while ago i had my husband drop me off at my teachers office to ask for help in finding a bug on my small homework assignment. He asked me when I would be done and i said "Either 5 minutes or an hour" maybe i was missing a semicolon or maybe It was a logic issue or maybe ... when the bug is found, it is found and when the game is done, it is done

I'll be sure to ask for your "expertise" in coding next time, or maybe I'll read the book you wrote.

Until next time, please speak when you're spoken to.

Or is your name Roland? :)

- - - Updated - - -

LOL.

You ask him...

I will ! :p

:laugh:

I'll be sure to ask for your "expertise" in coding next time, or maybe I'll read the book you wrote.

- - - Updated - - -

I will ! :p

:laugh:

You *did* post your question in a public thread inside a public forum, mate. If you didn't want anyone else to weigh in, you should have sent Roland a pm. No need to be rude like that.

Assuming circles:

Oh i always thought they were squares. Yeah then i am way off. Thanks for the correction Teach XD.

Edit: Oh also that jab with you dropping the ball i wanted to be funny. I kind of figured you didn’t know Prime was doing that Q&A. I felt like i needed to clarify that and apologize if it seemed as an attack. I am sorry. That wasn’t my intention.

I know I don't have to point this out to a math teacher but that's 1/3 less map to play on, sad face.

Bigger is not allways better... I think radius 8 km is big enough .. perhaps you have less flat space to scout, but much more to explore in POI with the new POI.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I guess i came off a little condescending. I'm no Expert, but i know enough that they have their work cut out for them. I only claim to have a bachelors degree in CS. I know that real world experience makes a better claim to expertise.

That being said, I noticed you didn't answer the question. I, myself, have spent countless hours pouring over code to find various bugs whose solutions ranged from extra parenthesis to rewriting entire classes.

@Drithl

2) You can go into the options and change any save to any number of players after starting the game. Want your brother to join your SP game so he can see your sick base modeled after The Serenity? Just change the number of players to two in the options and you can do it. Then change it back to One Player so he can't come back and loot your gorram brown coats.

3) Pause now works whenever you are alone on a server no matter what the player count is set to. So if you are the last one playing because everyone else in your group has a job, as soon as they all sign off you can start pausing the game to your heart's content.

Shiny! Let's be bad guys! Just don't go gettin' all... wiggly.

Not everyone has seen it. It became evident on the Steam forums that a lot of players haven't even been aware of Alpha 17. If all you do is launch the game from Steam, and the only source of news is your Steam library page, then you hadn't heard any news since 16.4 was released last October. In other words, before Monday that news page was 9 months behind on news.

There are multiple links to this page.

If people wana be lazy, they gona be lazy. Cant change that.

Thats actually how I found this page in the first place.

I wanna try MP outside of my personal servers with my friends. However, I just see it being issues especially if I end up joining one that are weeks in, or even if I start on one in first week, then to not be able to come back to it for a week and now things are even stronger. Kinda makes MP a bit off if things can just keep getting stronger as others play or the server itself is just going. Or am I missing some information about how MP works with public servers?

That will matter in PvP, but not in PvE. The zombies the game throws at you are based on your personal game stage, (some formula involving your level and how long since the last time you died, I think) not the overall day count on the server. I play solo on servers sometimes, go in at a day count in the hundreds, and it's not any more challenging than starting on day 1, aside from some places being cleaned out of loot.

I think there can be enough balancing with the 4x4 to make this a less appealing strategy. I think the 4x4 should take on damage. Once the front spikes are gone (from damage) every impact has a chance to stall/break the engine requiring you to get out and repair. Maybe every zombie you hit slows you down a bit... run into a crowd and you are at a dead stop allowing them to surround you and hit you from the (always open) side windows along with damaging your truck.

Not sure if there are planned features like this to balance it out, but there should be things in place to deter people from using the vehicle as a single solution to the zombie apocolyps.

As of yesterday, vehicles take some small damage from hitting entities and blocks. At zero health the engine stops working. They can be repaired.

side walks & street walk ways.

Blocks do occasionally have geometry that strays into adjacent blocks (terrain does this), but it often causes problems like a raycast hits something, but the collision point is not the correct block. Vehicle collisions have to deal with that where a terrain hit is in the wrong block and it has to do a surrounding block scan, which is slower and leads to bugs.

Would street walkways be in the game? I have a picture of them existing. is this this terrian? https://imgur.com/a/voHoSJR

Archived