Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Im VERY disappointed this couldn't be announced ahead of time. They have Facebooks and Twitters. This is the exact kind of thing that makes people doubt the Fun Pimps. And for once I don't blame them. Instead of worrying about organizing streamer previews, MAYBE announce and organize when a public Q and A with the devs are going on? I'm a simple modder and even I am aware enough to know if I'm going to publicly answer questions on my mod, I should probably let people know its going on first.

- - - Updated - - -

So was this announced ahead of time, say more than a few hours notice? Things like this need more than a few hours notice. For once I agree with people here, and it pains me to say it. This forum is the LAST thing on anyones minds.

TFP has Roland, but they dont have a PR person. Self Promotion is all thats left, and it show how much they all talk to each other outside the workplace. I am surpised @kinyajuu even joined Prime on a stream, I do think it does need to happen more often since its so much easier to communicate thru the various forms of media than it was when TFP/7D started with EA.

Having said that, there are a lot of disgruntled players that wanted more interaction with TFP, and now thats starting to manifest, some have lost their bark while others continue to cry like a baby ( see reddit ).

hold first aid kit and press left click on a player

Oh sure, do it the easy way.

OR, do it the real manly man way!

You need a bottle of whiskey,

a blazing hot fire,

and a hunting knife...

When one of your team is badly hurt you:

-Start a big fire

-Drink the entire bottle of whiskey

-Toss the knife to your buddy as say, "Hey man, I'm too drunk to help you, might as well cut your own throat, throw yourself into the fire or listen to a drunk mans tales of woe.

For some reason I now play SP...

Oh sure, do it the easy way.

OR, do it the real manly man way!

You need a bottle of whiskey,

a blazing hot fire,

and a hunting knife...

When one of your team is badly hurt you:

-Start a big fire

-Drink the entire bottle of whiskey

-Toss the knife to your buddy as say, "Hey man, I'm too drunk to help you, might as well cut your own throat, throw yourself into the fire or listen to a drunk mans tales of woe.

For some reason I now play SP...

*chugs grain alcohol*

*drops broken glass by buddy*

Here, eat that. It'll cure what ails you.

...I thought tossing molotavs at a player healed them?

Sorry guys! Who knew!

You joke, but in college I played a lot of Left 4 Dead with this one guy, who, at least once in LITERALLY EVERY campaign we ever played (and we played a lot of L4D), would set me on fire with a molotov. Always accidentally, which is the amazing part. He just really, really sucked at throwing them. Like there was a tank standing directly in front of him and he still missed and hit me across the way.

And one time in 7 Days, the guy I play with (different guy) heard me battling a horde. During the daytime, so they were slow-moving, and I had a high-level machete. I was in absolutely no trouble. He still grabbed a rocket launcher and fired at the horde, reducing me to 3 hp and blowing a crater in the lawn right next to our meticulously laid out garden. Turns out that even on servers with PvP disabled (because I know better than to trust this guy's aim), splash damage from explosions still hurts.

Perhaps I should look into finding a better class of idiot to play with. (jk, these guys are my friends)

Roland on vacation! hah... dont fall for it folks.

i have seen his "family truckster" sitting out front of the TFP build for 5 days now and havent seen any movement there...

i suspects he and his family are holding the staff at gun point until the cave-in and put the zip lines in 7dtd... now!

His truck is there cause it only has room for one person Joe.....he had to borrow someone elses that had multiple passengers!!

Coughs * VIDEO * Coughs

And one time in 7 Days, the guy I play with (different guy) heard me battling a horde. During the daytime, so they were slow-moving, and I had a high-level machete. I was in absolutely no trouble. He still grabbed a rocket launcher and fired at the horde, reducing me to 3 hp and blowing a crater in the lawn right next to our meticulously laid out garden. Turns out that even on servers with PvP disabled (because I know better than to trust this guy's aim), splash damage from explosions still hurts.

Perhaps I should look into finding a better class of idiot to play with. (jk, these guys are my friends)

This happened to me a few weeks ago, but I actually died. The settings for harming allies were turned off. My friend said, "I didn't know that splash damage could kill you." *sigh*

You joke, but in college I played a lot of Left 4 Dead with this one guy, who, at least once in LITERALLY EVERY campaign we ever played (and we played a lot of L4D), would set me on fire with a molotov. Always accidentally, which is the amazing part. He just really, really sucked at throwing them. Like there was a tank standing directly in front of him and he still missed and hit me across the way.

Yeh... I played with plenty of people in counterstrike who'd accidentally cause me damage... I finally figured out, it's me, not them. =)

Hmmm, so the skill progression sounds cool and all, but I could see it going sideways for anyone that mainly plays SP. Can only do a couple paths, and even then, can't max it out. So either you become a builder that can't fight, hence makes scavenging harder or a fighter that can't build much for defenses to keep things going... Or at least it seems that way to me, currently.

And with the xp sharing for parties, that's cool. But sounds like for killing zombies only. My friend and I play this weekly, he likes to build everything, I like to fight, protect the base, scavenge, explore. It sounds like later in the game, he'll be at the advantage in progression, because even though he would go building and couldn't fight much (which would mean me needing to protect him more while getting stuff), he gets just as much xp if not more, because he could build/craft the high end stuff whereas I couldn't. So where I'd end up only getting killing xp, he would get both building/craft and kill (from my kills) to full potential. Already I tend to kill 5x more than him, but since he builds so much as is, he usually isn't too far behind in lvls even with that difference. This is why I see the xp sharing as would possibly make him way out level me just because I didn't go builder skills unless it was like the final blow gets 3x the shared xp or something.

Also, the whole you lose 1 max stam per 1 food, hopefully that's not 1% food, otherwise one full refill of stam would make food 0%. So I'm wondering, how much food is typically 1%? Because I remember a post earlier that said it took a few days in game to even get around half (or may have been lower) food/water levels.

-------

Edit: Also, with weapon tiers. Has it ever been said if the tier of a weapon would affect how many, what mods, or what tier of mods could be put on it? It'd seem odd that only degradation is the factor of tier, cause then you could have a t1 weapon be just as strong if not stronger than a t6. Then there doesn't seem to be as much of a reason to get a t6 other than just to have it. I could just have multiple t1 (being that they're easier to get) and switch out mods as it gets too low. However, make it limit the tier of the mod or how many mods can go on it, then it'd make me want to get a t6 to really be able to max out my damage or mods.

-------

Any thoughts, clarifications, or better explanations I could get on this that knows more?

Somebody's Bat Senses are tingling!

:)

you also asked about Gigantic Bugs... we cant have the behemoth so we will not be getting the Gigantic Bugs nor the small bugs... <i hate bugs> but seeings how bats eat bugs i can see why the fascination with bugs. :)

you seen what i did there right :)

He could play Starvation. It has bugs and other nasty crawly things. ;)

Yeh... I played with plenty of people in counterstrike who'd accidentally cause me damage... I finally figured out, it's me, not them. =)

Or sometimes you run in to help someone *cough* Stompy *cough* fight a bad arse cop and get blowed up by the barrels they are using them take them out. LOL

Hmmm, so the skill progression sounds cool and all, but I could see it going sideways for anyone that mainly plays SP. Can only do a couple paths, and even then, can't max it out. So either you become a builder that can't fight, hence makes scavenging harder or a fighter that can't build much for defenses to keep things going... Or at least it seems that way to me, currently.

And with the xp sharing for parties, that's cool. But sounds like for killing zombies only. My friend and I play this weekly, he likes to build everything, I like to fight, protect the base, scavenge, explore. It sounds like later in the game, he'll be at the advantage in progression, because even though he would go building and couldn't fight much (which would mean me needing to protect him more while getting stuff), he gets just as much xp if not more, because he could build/craft the high end stuff whereas I couldn't. So where I'd end up only getting killing xp, he would get both building/craft and kill (from my kills) to full potential. Already I tend to kill 5x more than him, but since he builds so much as is, he usually isn't too far behind in lvls even with that difference. This is why I see the xp sharing as would possibly make him way out level me just because I didn't go builder skills unless it was like the final blow gets 3x the shared xp or something.

Also, the whole you lose 1 max stam per 1 food, hopefully that's not 1% food, otherwise one full refill of stam would make food 0%. So I'm wondering, how much food is typically 1%? Because I remember a post earlier that said it took a few days in game to even get around half (or may have been lower) food/water levels.

-------

Edit: Also, with weapon tiers. Has it ever been said if the tier of a weapon would affect how many, what mods, or what tier of mods could be put on it? It'd seem odd that only degradation is the factor of tier, cause then you could have a t1 weapon be just as strong if not stronger than a t6. Then there doesn't seem to be as much of a reason to get a t6 other than just to have it. I could just have multiple t1 (being that they're easier to get) and switch out mods as it gets too low. However, make it limit the tier of the mod or how many mods can go on it, then it'd make me want to get a t6 to really be able to max out my damage or mods.

-------

Any thoughts, clarifications, or better explanations I could get on this that knows more?

I only probably know as much as you do. So I could be completely wrong with what I'm saying.

1: from what I gathered why would it limit to only killing zombies? From my understanding as long as you are within the area they set near one another if someone in the party is getting xp then so are you. So if they are crafting, mining, killing or whatever if you are close enough to them you get some xp also.

2: I can see where a lot of people are not going to like the new skill system. But you should be able to build and kill. You just are not going to be able to to do everything. They want you to pick what is more important to you. Maybe this play through you are a builder/looter and melee combat and some other stuff. Next time you might be builder/looter and shooter and some other stuff. Remember if SP you can always mod some stuff and be able to do whatever you want.

3: as far as food and water I think I will have to play it to get a better understanding on it. But from what I do understand the food and water will be included on the health and stamina or something. If you are not gaining stamina you are probably thirsty. If you are not gaining health you are hungry. Not sure about the rest really but don't think it is the way you are thinking.

4: weapons not sure really got little info on the Q&A video and have only seen little posted so might of missed some stuff on it. But I think the higher the tier is the more mods you can put on it and maybe some other stuff like I said not sure.

As said I could be wrong on all this so might want to wait and see if someone else has something to add or change or even word it better then me.

risk reward, staying alive is but a small part, protecting your assets, we are now getting some story, so story line rewards, bounty system perhaps?

not sure they can handle too many new types, think that is why they keep swapping them out instead. but perhaps a ranged one? throws bone spikes? football throwers throw stones? muscle memory from life instead of footballs?

hp sponges I hate. not tactical, not realistic enough as in too far fetched, but maybe armor plated? dermal hardening, blow out a piece of scale to expose a weak spot?

Our secrets servers Grandpas and Grandmas, they added several ranged zombie types, one infects you at range, another fires shock bolts, another fires fire bolts like rockets, theres a couple more but point is it has been done and is doable right now through modding.

Our secrets servers Grandpas and Grandmas, they added several ranged zombie types, one infects you at range, another fires shock bolts, another fires fire bolts like rockets, theres a couple more but point is it has been done and is doable right now through modding.

How in the hell would they infect you wouthout touching you, Necromancy?

I only probably know as much as you do. So I could be completely wrong with what I'm saying.

1: from what I gathered why would it limit to only killing zombies? From my understanding as long as you are within the area they set near one another if someone in the party is getting xp then so are you. So if they are crafting, mining, killing or whatever if you are close enough to them you get some xp also.

2: I can see where a lot of people are not going to like the new skill system. But you should be able to build and kill. You just are not going to be able to to do everything. They want you to pick what is more important to you. Maybe this play through you are a builder/looter and melee combat and some other stuff. Next time you might be builder/looter and shooter and some other stuff. Remember if SP you can always mod some stuff and be able to do whatever you want.

3: as far as food and water I think I will have to play it to get a better understanding on it. But from what I do understand the food and water will be included on the health and stamina or something. If you are not gaining stamina you are probably thirsty. If you are not gaining health you are hungry. Not sure about the rest really but don't think it is the way you are thinking.

4: weapons not sure really got little info on the Q&A video and have only seen little posted so might of missed some stuff on it. But I think the higher the tier is the more mods you can put on it and maybe some other stuff like I said not sure.

As said I could be wrong on all this so might want to wait and see if someone else has something to add or change or even word it better then me.

1) I just know watching Prime's video, he just talked about sharing zombie kill xp. I figure it'll be for everything, but didn't want to just assume that, heh.

2) During the video, it was mentioned that you couldn't do near even half of everything if you spread out the skills. So you'd need to basically go into 2, and even then, neither could be maxed out, which is perfect for MP, means you need to party up more and actually work together (I could see this going sideways on PvP, a group of player killers that are all ranged or melee vs builders, etc... could make things go south, have to see). Just for SP, I could see that being an issue, but yeah, they did say modding would be a lot easier, so that could easily be modded to work for SP. So I'd suspect seeing a Mod come out at some point solely for that.

3) I understand how the food/water correlates with stam/health. I just know it keeps being said 1 stam regenerated is 1 food lost. So is this food loss 1% (which I'd bet no since then it'd mean you would go to starving at 1 full refill) or is it like 10,000 food is 100%, and then drops there, so say you need to refill stam full (100 points) twice, you'd then have 9,800 food left which is then 98%. There's a big difference there based on wording, which is what I'm trying to get a grasp on. Even though food gives a % (say 20%), in the background, is it actually a number (like 2,000 from earlier example) which is what this regeneration would be based off of.

I actually think I'll like this new system as long as it's not making me go crazy having to always eat every in-game hour and go nuts looking for food over other things early on.

But yeah, I like knowing that things are being added and changed, just wished if something is mentioned, it was more elaborated on in the sense of knowing what exactly they meant. Cause you can tell us if tiers will mean more mods, quality, etc without telling us what the mods exactly are to still keep that secrecy. But still loving the game and playing it when I can. Waiting patiently for A17. And this is the first game ever that I've followed all the forums of development and been playing games for 20+ years since I was 5, lol.

Archived