Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

[in the end of August]: A17-E Estimated Release: September 2018

Are you 100% sure it wont be delayed to september? Cuz i wanna enjoy the game before i go to university again :(((

I would say a good chance it could be in August but at the same time nothing is set and stone so it could go to September.

So when Microsoft Release Windows 10 April Update, and releasing bug fixes they are not developing the next Build to release ? From last 15 yrs I am releasing mobile apps, desktop software, website release their bug fix while a separate branch add a new module is all hoax. Damn I was in sleep for 10 yrs and doing all those programming in my sleep and I didn't know it. Thanks for waking me up.

Also, A16.4 was released when A17 was already in few month of development, so does this mean all fixes of A16.4 will be gone from a17? or A16.4 contain a17 broken/in development features in them.

Pre-Gold vs Post-Gold development is different. Post-Gold development SUCKS because you have to be so careful to not break backwards compatibility most of the time. In Pre-Gold game development, it would be stupid to waste resources fixing bugs in a version of the game you are done with from a development stand point. The type of dev you are talking about all have one thing in common. They are all "finished" products. Of course you bug fix your mobile app even when you are working on the new one. BUT THAT ISN'T ALPHA. When you were working on your mobile app(before public release) did you have two teams working on two different versions of it? Of course you didn't. Early Access is us getting to see the dev process. There are only so many ways a company can change that dev process without making it so expensive that EA becomes too expensive to be viable. If you are really a dev, you should understand the differences between alpha and post-gold development. If you don't, you have wasted a LOT of your company's resources over the years.

The only problem with this is for people like me that like to put hundreds of hours into a single playthrough and wont start another game until the next alpha is released. So for people like me i'll never be able to use a lot of the perks as i'll reach the level cap in my playthrough and then be stuck only using pistols etc, which kinda sucks.

You are not really stuck. If you don't buy any perks at all for a weapon type your damage is still 2/3rds of a maxed out character in A16. Ok, that means your ammo consumption is higher, but hitting the head instead of the torso is still much more important than having any perks.

We also don't know if the old skill-point generating quests are still there. And finally you can really wait until you reached max-level to decide if you need to mod in more levels or not, such a change will take effect even if you already played hundreds of hours. So you are never ever really stuck

Is it enough just to change the progression xml file from max_level="200" to lets say 300? Or I also need to increase value of exp_to_level="11250" to higher value?

I'm pretty sure you only need to change max_level. If you incerease exp_to_level you should level slower (not faster) but it should not change the maximum amount of skill points you get.

In A16, a purple shotgun inflicts more damage than a tan shotgun.

In A17, a purple shotgun inflicts the same damage as a tan shotgun.

It is different and so it is noted on the first page. You are correct that quality tier does ultimately determine damage via mod slots but it doesn’t directly determine damage amount as it has in the past few alpha versions. Sorry for the confusion.

There was zero reason to be confused. Your note on the first page was very clear and easy to understand.

I doubt people will love that. Player A pauses game and goes for a number 2..... Player B enters and starts horde night.

ok, fix. if a game is paused, character doesnt load until it is unpaused. basically cannot join a game that isn't actively running

ok, fix. if a game is paused, character doesnt load until it is unpaused. basically cannot join a game that isn't actively running

Yea, to enable the ultimate griever recipe: Log in to any empty public server and block that server until the admin has time to kick you.

Am I missing something here?

What's to stop you maxing out your perks with xp gained from quests?

level cap means no more increase in points to buy perks with. there will be less points given than there are perks to buy. devs said it is intentional

- - - Updated - - -

If they don't change the vanilla quests, then the "challenges" you find in the world are repeatable and give about 2 skill points if my memory is correct.

So worse case, you can just farm those. :)

quests will now give exp not skill points according to Roland

In alpha 16 the exploding crossbow bolt is the be all end all ammo and if you use nothing but that to destroy 7th day hordes you never have a ammo shortage of any kind but that is really boring.

By late game I always have tens of thousands of 7.62 rounds stockpiled.

I hope they put some serious thought into ammunition for A17.

Yea, to enable the ultimate griever recipe: Log in to any empty public server and block that server until the admin has time to kick you.

evrything is open to griefing, but that form of griefing would get boring fast as they aren't doing anything either

evrything is open to griefing, but that form of griefing would get boring fast as they aren't doing anything either

Lock the server at night, go to bed, wake in the morning and check the forums to see everyone raging.

That's a lot of affect for very little effort... it will be done.

A better system would be to have an option to pause when no players are logged in.

quests will now give exp not skill points according to Roland

He added later that that was about the NEW quests and that he didn't check if the old quests are still there and unchanged.

A better system would be to have an option to pause when no players are logged in.

I'm pretty sure this is already done automatically in vanilla, my server doesn't advance time when no one is logged in. Possibly some public servers change this so time is predictable (?)

The worst part about them delaying A-17 is now we're getting into prime gaming season. September, October, November the biggest games are being released. A June release would have been so perfect even early July no big game releases/no school for most people. I say if they have a good working build with not a lot of crashes i think it should be released and do weekly updates to polish what needs polishing.

Lock the server at night, go to bed, wake in the morning and check the forums to see everyone raging.

That's a lot of affect for very little effort... it will be done.

we were discussing a person hitting pause then going to the restroom and coming back to an active game. he said my fix would be abused for griefing.

other option is that only the server owner can pause it.

He added later that that was about the NEW quests and that he didn't check if the old quests are still there and unchanged.

true, but would be sloppy work if they didnt double check and bring the old quests in line with the new. hopefully he checks and lets us know

- - - Updated - - -

The worst part about them delaying A-17 is now we're getting into prime gaming season. September, October, November the biggest games are being released. A June release would have been so perfect even early July no big game releases/no school for most people. I say if they have a good working build with not a lot of crashes i think it should be released and do weekly updates to polish what needs polishing.

welcome with your first post. and so nicely stated, no whining. you made valid points here, but atm one of them <devs mods > hinted that the bug they are squashing was game breaking? can't confirm because I can't remember who, a few releases back MM set a hard date, got pressed into releasing without clearing the major bugs, then caught flak from the ones who begged for it's release. He stated never again would he do that.

With all this worrying before the fact, we should have quite the lively General Discussions forum after A17 drops and people get to actually play with the changes. :)

After catching up, the only thing I feel compelled to say is that the developers view the xml files as the ultimate options screen. Nobody should ever feel as though they are cheating by editing the xml files. The developers have their vision and that is vanilla. You can change some settings through the options menu (which edits the xml files for you) or you can directly edit the xml files yourself for more specific and refined options that align with your play preferences.

These long dev cycles are the perfect opportunity to go into the files and start experimenting and making changes to things so you know how to use the ultimate options menu that the devs have given us. You can always verify the integrity of your files in Steam to reset everything back to vanilla if you mess up and can’t figure out how to fix it.

If you’ve never done it before I recommend starting in the recipes file and try altering some of the recipes. Something as simple as adding nails to the wood Frame block recipe can have huge gameplay repercussions. It’s pretty amazing and it’s just the beginning of what you can learn to change.

true, but would be sloppy work if they didnt double check and bring the old quests in line with the new. hopefully he checks and lets us know

Yes, there is a very good chance the old quests will be slighty changed (especially since Prime seems to have given this out as the master plan.

On the other hand they didn't change them in A16 when the same "skill point scarcity" policy was already active as a loop hole for skill point junkies. They could decide to leave the loop hole open, just for the fun of being accused of inconsistency by some forum users. :smile-new:

Loot containers will respawn in A16. The old loot will be there but, if the PoI has respawned since you were there last, as soon as you take the old loot out of the container it spawns the new loot when you close it. I know it works like this because the first time it happened to me I thought it was a bug.

Intersting, didn't know it worked like this, I assume if it respawns it'll respawn as a unopened container?

no duh...But Snow was referencing the first page and specifically asked if it meant 8000 larger or smaller than the current size. I was letting them know that the first page note meant that the size of the map would become 8000 x 8000 and that it did not mean either 2000x2000 or 18000x18000.

I do understand the new map is smaller but it is not smaller by 8000.

wow that logic has me stumped too, wait! you're trolling!

With all this worrying before the fact, we should have quite the lively General Discussions forum after A17 drops and people get to actually play with the changes. :)

After catching up, the only thing I feel compelled to say is that the developers view the xml files as the ultimate options screen. Nobody should ever feel as though they are cheating by editing the xml files. The developers have their vision and that is vanilla. You can change some settings through the options menu (which edits the xml files for you) or you can directly edit the xml files yourself for more specific and refined options that align with your play preferences.

These long dev cycles are the perfect opportunity to go into the files and start experimenting and making changes to things so you know how to use the ultimate options menu that the devs have given us. You can always verify the integrity of your files in Steam to reset everything back to vanilla if you mess up and can’t figure out how to fix it.

If you’ve never done it before I recommend starting in the recipes file and try altering some of the recipes. Something as simple as adding nails to the wood Frame block recipe can have huge gameplay repercussions. It’s pretty amazing and it’s just the beginning of what you can learn to change.

I do a few changes in A16 myself, for one I remove animalhide from butchering animals and just replace it with leather, as the leather skill is no longer book locked, I also change any recipie that requires animal hide to use leather instead. I also edit painkillers, back to -5 hydration like they used to be, I dunno about you but when I take a pain pill irl I don't become super dehydrated like that so I feel it was a tad over done. I usually edit the forge recipie to need the combined mats that would make up the bellows+forge to craft so its all in 1 recipie. Thats about all I mod in vanallia in A16. Who knows what i'll mess with in a17-e, I need to play the base game first, but I suspect I can do the leather change in it most likely.

Archived