Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Again, I could be wrong but when they said

I think they meant "Are random maps, (currently) 8000 by 8000, bigger or smaller than A16?"

I can see how it would easily be read as "Are random maps (changing by) 8000 by 8000 bigger or smaller than A16?"

Correct :)

hmmm, the skill points change will alter a quite a few things in sp for me, especially since it also got expanded. will have to see the new perk "tree" for lack of a better word. this way I can see how to go. haven't had much luck in MP, way too damn laggy. so filling in gaps with other players won't work. and since there isn't technically going to be SP anymore, just an MP set to one person... hmmm

how will that work for the pausing of the game if it will all be MP now?

btw the sp/mp change is from a while back on A17. it hasn't changed has it?

edit: and are construction things such as concrete, switches, steel.. still locked to perks? cause someone earlier said we'd be able to do everything, just not as well. but with crafting perks... that isn't really so.

Hello all I had an idea i wanted to share and i hope someone from TFP read it ,I heard MM was going to remove the numbers from weapons and I think instead it should stay like it is in the vids he posts and just stay as a single digit for color blind players

I wanna try MP outside of my personal servers with my friends. However, I just see it being issues especially if I end up joining one that are weeks in, or even if I start on one in first week, then to not be able to come back to it for a week and now things are even stronger. Kinda makes MP a bit off if things can just keep getting stronger as others play or the server itself is just going. Or am I missing some information about how MP works with public servers?

They are different sizes. The new A17 size is smaller than the old A16 size. It's just not 8000x8000 smaller. They went with a slightly smaller size so that the entire map could be pregenerated. This will allow chunks to load faster and provide improvements to performance and vehicle movement and lots of stuff.

charlie-sheen-496x300.png

Ah. This is a change. I was referring to A16. Some quests gave 2 skill points, others gave 1 SP if you did not meet the deadline or 3 if you did.

You're welcoming for enticing some new info, oh fellow forum community.

The old note challenge quests might stay unchanged. I don't know whether they will change those or not. So maybe there will be a way to keep gaining perks.

hmmm, the skill points change will alter a quite a few things in sp for me, especially since it also got expanded. will have to see the new perk "tree" for lack of a better word. this way I can see how to go. haven't had much luck in MP, way too damn laggy. so filling in gaps with other players won't work. and since there isn't technically going to be SP anymore, just an MP set to one person... hmmm

how will that work for the pausing of the game if it will all be MP now?

btw the sp/mp change is from a while back on A17. it hasn't changed has it?

edit: and are construction things such as concrete, switches, steel.. still locked to perks? cause someone earlier said we'd be able to do everything, just not as well. but with crafting perks... that isn't really so.

Even now everytime you play the game you are playing on a server.

SP is a server that is locked from everyone but yourself.

In A17 you will be able to designate the server to allow 1-8 players. If you designate one player then no one will be able to join and you will have what you do now when you select SP mode.

So why the switch?

1) With a single mode the rare glitch that caused a SP game to switch into a MP game and corrupt the save will be solved. There won't be a different mode to be switched to.

2) You can go into the options and change any save to any number of players after starting the game. Want your brother to join your SP game so he can see your sick base modeled after The Serenity? Just change the number of players to two in the options and you can do it. Then change it back to One Player so he can't come back and loot your gorram brown coats.

3) Pause now works whenever you are alone on a server no matter what the player count is set to. So if you are the last one playing because everyone else in your group has a job, as soon as they all sign off you can start pausing the game to your heart's content.

4) Cleaner and simpler to understand option menu. No modes to select. You just select number of players for your game. Done.

Even now everytime you play the game you are playing on a server.

SP is a server that is locked from everyone but yourself.

In A17 you will be able to designate the server to allow 1-8 players. If you designate one player then no one will be able to join and you will have what you do now when you select SP mode.

So why the switch?

1) With a single mode the rare glitch that caused a SP game to switch into a MP game and corrupt the save will be solved. There won't be a different mode to be switched to.

2) You can go into the options and change any save to any number of players after starting the game. Want your brother to join your SP game so he can see your sick base modeled after The Serenity? Just change the number of players to two in the options and you can do it. Then change it back to One Player so he can't come back and loot your gorram brown coats.

3) Pause now works whenever you are alone on a server no matter what the player count is set to. So if you are the last one playing because everyone else in your group has a job, as soon as they all sign off you can start pausing the game to your heart's content.

4) Cleaner and simpler to understand option menu. No modes to select. You just select number of players for your game. Done.

I knew why the change, good to know about the ability to pause when it is down to 1 player. as a primarily sp person. pausing during wife aggro or to cook is a plus

Roland, obviously I can still mod the max level limit, right? So I can max out every skill...

Obviously...

:)

Devs have a vision for vanilla but they are still the lovable mod-friendly Pimps they’ve always been.

2) Based on the last thing Joel said to me, mods will not be removable. A t6 weapon has six mod slots while a t1 weapon only has one mod slot.

YES. Finally a scavenger isn't obsolete by midgame. Hopepfully TFP keeps mods scarce enough.

What about removing the mod for free (money or item wise) while having the mod degrade 1 tier for each removal? That way you'd still need to find t6 mods, but it means you aren't screwed the moment it goes bad hoping you have another mod like it.

Are you really screwed if you don't have a bigger magazine or stabilizer or silencer in your gun? (EDIT) I don't think you will have to endure empty slots if you don't waste them on every weapon you find. Also (from A16 experiences) traders will plug any holes anyway.

Will it be moddable whether mods can be removed or not? I enjoy having to make difficult choices but this sounds like gems that you put in sockets in Diablo 2, that you barely ever used because you knew you weren't gonna get them back and you also knew you were gonna get a better weapon soon. The trend in later hack'n'slash games seems to have been to allow the player to remove those sorts of gems (Torchlight, Path of Exile, etc), and I agree with it generally. If the concern is that players will be switching mods in and out constantly to adapt in the middle of a fight, you can just make it require a station, or take X time, whatever.

But I think it's more fun to be able to switch them out. You still decide which mods to carry on a given expedition, since you need backpack space for looting. Plus some mods just seem weird that you wouldn't be able to switch, like say, a scope. Others I could understand, like spikes in a club. Perhaps the ideal will be to have some that can be removed and some that cannot.

+Random Generated Worlds are now 8000x8000 meters 7/24/18

+bandits officially postponed to A18 7/24/18

it hurts me a lot to read this 8 square kilometers is very little to explore and appearance of bandits in A18 had already come

+Random Generated Worlds are now 8000x8000 meters 7/24/18

[*]bandits officially postponed to A18 7/24/18

it hurts me a lot to read this 8 square kilometers is very little to explore and appearance of bandits in A18 had already come

8kmx8km is 64 square Kilometers. Not 8 square kilometers. Before it was 100 square kilometers.

There were a lot of changes like the dungeon POI and apparently bodies of water being smaller that leave plenty of exploration even with the map being smaller. So no need to worry just because it is a smaller map.

This was also necessary so the rwg map could be easier pregenerated.

The map will be more densely packed with interesting locations and bodies of water will be reduced in size to compensate.

You could always mod it back to 10k radius or higher and see if your server can handle the performance.

8kmx8km is 64 square Kilometers. Not 8 square kilometers. Before it was 100 square kilometers.

There were a lot of changes like the dungeon POI and apparently bodies of water being smaller that leave plenty of exploration even with the map being smaller. So no need to worry just because it is a smaller map.

This was also necessary so the rwg map could be easier pregenerated.

Actually... to be fully accurate the maps are circles with a radius of 10k and not 10k by 10k squares. Kinyajuu said 8km by 8km for the new map but I’m assuming he meant 8km radius.

Assuming circles:

The old map was 314 square km and the new map is 201 square km. If the new map is a square then it really is a mighty reduction.

Archived