Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

1) I just know watching Prime's video, he just talked about sharing zombie kill xp. I figure it'll be for everything, but didn't want to just assume that, heh.

2) During the video, it was mentioned that you couldn't do near even half of everything if you spread out the skills. So you'd need to basically go into 2, and even then, neither could be maxed out, which is perfect for MP, means you need to party up more and actually work together (I could see this going sideways on PvP, a group of player killers that are all ranged or melee vs builders, etc... could make things go south, have to see). Just for SP, I could see that being an issue, but yeah, they did say modding would be a lot easier, so that could easily be modded to work for SP. So I'd suspect seeing a Mod come out at some point solely for that.

The way it is now you can't 100% every skill. So that hasn't changed. Like I said I could be wrong but I think he was talking more along the lines of combat style. If you didn't spend perks on nothing else you could probably max out all combat on different styles I guess. But why would you do that? So if you spend the perks normally you still will be like you are now but with this added you will need to pick what kind of combat style you want to play. I'm sure you don't have to max them out if you don't want to you could spend some across a few of different things but you would probably end up hurting yourself in the long run. But you should still have enough points to put towards other things as well. But just like now you are not going to master it all unless you mod it.

The way it is now you can't 100% every skill. So that hasn't changed. Like I said I could be wrong but I think he was talking more along the lines of combat style. If you didn't spend perks on nothing else you could probably max out all combat on different styles I guess. But why would you do that? So if you spend the perks normally you still will be like you are now but with this added you will need to pick what kind of combat style you want to play. I'm sure you don't have to max them out if you don't want to you could spend some across a few of different things but you would probably end up hurting yourself in the long run. But you should still have enough points to put towards other things as well. But just like now you are not going to master it all unless you mod it.

hmmmm. yeah, I could see that. I just would hate to have to pick say melee, archery, rifle, handgun, shotgun, etc if that was all their own and choose 1 to go through then pick 1 from crafting say armor, weapon, electrical, building, etc. especially since if you went into something that was more used later on. So early game, it'd basically either be melee or archery, guns later (for the typical person), but if you wanna spec guns, you have to scrounge around and wait longer for those things... Either way, hmmmm. Just have to see it in game and figure it out.

The way it is now you can't 100% every skill.

I worked it out that if you plan on maxing all crafting skills as early as possible, you have 120 points to spend on other skills/perks. Based solely on level. Meaning if you plan to be able to combine things to 600, you really don't have a lot of other points to spend. But given enough time and quests, yes you can 100% every skill.

I worked it out that if you plan on maxing all crafting skills as early as possible, you have 120 points to spend on other skills/perks. Based solely on level. Meaning if you plan to be able to combine things to 600, you really don't have a lot of other points to spend. But given enough time and quests, yes you can 100% every skill.

currently this isn't true for just skills., you can 100% everything. dont buy skills, only perks, and quests give points for buying more. you hit the level cap sure, and after that you dont level up, but you still get points from quests and therefore hit all of it perks included.

Some clarifications:

1) Quests grant experience points. They do not grant skill points. Spendable skill points are only gained by leveling up. So once you hit level cap you will not have any way to earn skill points. The developers very much believe in specialization and see that as a major avenue for generating tough player choices. You will not be able to max everything in the vanilla game. The good news is that this will not lock any part of the game out for SP gamers. You will still be able to do everything with basic efficiency and ability from day 1. The perks and skills are just for those areas you want to have enhanced abilities in. Nobody who plays SP will be screwed because of specialization. Those who specialize in building can still kill zombies and if they get awesome mods attached to their weapon they will be pretty effective at it too.

2) Based on the last thing Joel said to me, mods will not be removable. A t6 weapon has six mod slots while a t1 weapon only has one mod slot. So one t6 weapon will be waaaaaaaaaay better than six t1 weapons. I know there has been discussion on removability of mods and that will have to be an ongoing discussion after A17 hits and we see exactly how the mods will work. A17 will be the very first version with these weapon mods and the devs will definitely be looking at how they should be tweaked and balanced for the next version. Whether that will mean they will change their minds on some or all mods being able to be detached and re-attached to a new weapon remains to be seen.

3) Stamina drain works pretty well from what I can tell. I wouldn't worry too much until you have a chance to play it. I'm sure there will be many feedback threads about the new survival system with food, water, stamina, and health that people can contribute their opinions to.

Some clarifications:

1) Quests grant experience points. They do not grant skill points. Spendable skill points are only gained by leveling up. So once you hit level cap you will not have any way to earn skill points. The developers very much believe in specialization and see that as a major avenue for generating tough player choices. You will not be able to max everything in the vanilla game. The good news is that this will not lock any part of the game out for SP gamers. You will still be able to do everything with basic efficiency and ability from day 1. The perks and skills are just for those areas you want to have enhanced abilities in. Nobody who plays SP will be screwed because of specialization. Those who specialize in building can still kill zombies and if they get awesome mods attached to their weapon they will be pretty effective at it too.

2) Based on the last thing Joel said to me, mods will not be removable. A t6 weapon has six mod slots while a t1 weapon only has one mod slot. So one t6 weapon will be waaaaaaaaaay better than six t1 weapons. I know there has been discussion on removability of mods and that will have to be an ongoing discussion after A17 hits and we see exactly how the mods will work. A17 will be the very first version with these weapon mods and the devs will definitely be looking at how they should be tweaked and balanced for the next version. Whether that will mean they will change their minds on some or all mods being able to be detached and re-attached to a new weapon remains to be seen.

3)

Anyways, that's good to know about the skills. The Q&A was making it sound like you could be screwed fighting if you didn't specialize in fighting, however, if it's mainly just the perks in general and you just had to deal with a little more strategy to fight, that works. But yeah, it just kind of sounded like no chance if you didn't go fighting in some way.

And as for the weapon mods, I'm glad there's at least a reason to go t6 over t1, if only for mod slots quantity. As for removing a mod, I know there's the most normal way of making it cost money or some item to remove it (from either drops, crafting, etc.). What about removing the mod for free (money or item wise) while having the mod degrade 1 tier for each removal? That way you'd still need to find t6 mods, but it means you aren't screwed the moment it goes bad hoping you have another mod like it. Shoot, you could even make the removal free in that case. That means you can't just keep moving it around willy-nilly, especially if people are rich on money or items. This then forces the player to keep looking for t6 mods regardless of where a player is at in the game. A thought.

(Edited above paragraph)

I must be even dumber than I thought. They still sound like different sizes lol

They are different sizes. The new A17 size is smaller than the old A16 size. It's just not 8000x8000 smaller. They went with a slightly smaller size so that the entire map could be pregenerated. This will allow chunks to load faster and provide improvements to performance and vehicle movement and lots of stuff.

uhm... Roland, if it is currently 10x10, and it is going to 8x8, then it is getting smaller....

no duh...But Snow was referencing the first page and specifically asked if it meant 8000 larger or smaller than the current size. I was letting them know that the first page note meant that the size of the map would become 8000 x 8000 and that it did not mean either 2000x2000 or 18000x18000.

I do understand the new map is smaller but it is not smaller by 8000.

He could play Starvation. It has bugs and other nasty crawly things. ;)

I did, got a spider infection and died within 20 minutes I think. Didn't even know what bit me :')

Quite a bummer that RWG getting cut by 36 square km. I hope that the smaller map is at least filled with more things to compensate.

no duh...But Snow was referencing the first page and specifically asked if it meant 8000 larger or smaller than the current size. I was letting them know that the first page note meant that the size of the map would become 8000 x 8000 and that it did not mean either 2000x2000 or 18000x18000.

I do understand the new map is smaller but it is not smaller by 8000.

Thx for the info, either my question was worded badly or u misinterpreted it. Just wanted a comparison of 16 vs 17. Thanks again. Seems okay, never explored an entire map anyway

I did, got a spider infection and died within 20 minutes I think. Didn't even know what bit me :')

Quite a bummer that RWG getting cut by 36 square km. I hope that the smaller map is at least filled with more things to compensate.

Kinyajuu did say they were going to pack it fuller with places of interest and smaller bodies of water. Add in the new level designed buildings and there will be much more exploration fun to be had regardless of the loss in footprint.

They are different sizes. The new A17 size is smaller than the old A16 size. It's just not 8000x8000 smaller. They went with a slightly smaller size so that the entire map could be pregenerated. This will allow chunks to load faster and provide improvements to performance and vehicle movement and lots of stuff.

Again, I could be wrong but when they said

Are random maps 8000 by 8000 bigger or smaller than A16?

I think they meant "Are random maps, (currently) 8000 by 8000, bigger or smaller than A16?"

I can see how it would easily be read as "Are random maps (changing by) 8000 by 8000 bigger or smaller than A16?"

1) Quests grant experience points. They do not grant skill points

Ah. This is a change. I was referring to A16. Some quests gave 2 skill points, others gave 1 SP if you did not meet the deadline or 3 if you did.

You're welcoming for enticing some new info, oh fellow forum community.

Archived