Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

An update...

Huge vulture AI overhaul this week, which was kind of bug fixing, so not really new features. ;)

Added: Sleeping to vultures and set home distance to sleeper sight range + 1.

Changed: Improved vulture return home, movement, turning, attacking and added attack relocation mode.

Added: Vulture circling mode.

Added: Vulture glide anim, which blends in/out depending on vertical motion and state.

Added: Vulture wander height check, so stays a nice random distance above terrain.

Added: Made vulture sight range long and added drifting toward closest visible player when in wander mode.

These changes makes vultures feel like a very dynamic enemy. Probably my favorite now, as they lazily drift toward you and wait for you to be injured and rapidly swoop down to rip your face off, aggressively chase you, pull up to find a new spot to pounce on you again and repeat. The variable movement rates look nicer, since flying up is a lot harder than down IRL.

Has their low flight ceiling turning been improved? One thing I had issue with about Vultures in A16, is when they are flying low to the ground, they can sometimes turn 45/90/180 degrees in an instant. It is as though they hit the low flight ceiling, and so the rest of the glide turn is ignored and they spin.

It's better version of Hitler Vid.

AWW. Man. I was hoping it was about the Alpha 17.

I got to tell you, the part about chimneys got me rolling. lol

---updated---

That pretty much sums it up.

You can listen to feedback. It helps. But you always keep in mind - especially on game balance - that most players only look at a tiny snapshot of the game and don't judge their situation by gamestage or random loot drop results.

This is no "scripted story" game where you know that the player will find the shotgun 25m into the 2nd level. Life can suck. Back in the day it once took 2 weeks to find the forge book and another time calipers.

Another time I found a sniper rifle within 5 minutes.

So yeah, I do read a lot of feedback, including criticism, but when I decide that it's BS my response will be

tumbleweed.gif

This is all your fault GAZZ

- - - Updated - - -

is there any new weapons coming with A17?

this A17 log looks a bit small, after 1 year work.

then "A17 is at feature freeze, meaning no big new features" meh....

Not a chance, waaaaay too much work to copy paste another existing weapon, give it different stats and a new skin. They only had a year, you need to be more reasonable and ask for the trees to be reskinned for the 79th time, you know, important ♥♥♥♥ that the players want.

/Sarc off

An update...

Huge vulture AI overhaul this week, which was kind of bug fixing, so not really new features. ;)

Added: Sleeping to vultures and set home distance to sleeper sight range + 1.

Changed: Improved vulture return home, movement, turning, attacking and added attack relocation mode.

Added: Vulture circling mode.

Added: Vulture glide anim, which blends in/out depending on vertical motion and state.

Added: Vulture wander height check, so stays a nice random distance above terrain.

Added: Made vulture sight range long and added drifting toward closest visible player when in wander mode.

These changes makes vultures feel like a very dynamic enemy. Probably my favorite now, as they lazily drift toward you and wait for you to be injured and rapidly swoop down to rip your face off, aggressively chase you, pull up to find a new spot to pounce on you again and repeat. The variable movement rates look nicer, since flying up is a lot harder than down IRL.

I found you can control Vultures in the desert by hanging out near Cacti. or under those narly burnt trees in burnt biome. the vultures come close and I kinda get stuck and I can step out and club

Not a chance, waaaaay too much work to copy paste another existing weapon, give it different stats and a new skin. They only had a year, you need to be more reasonable and ask for the trees to be reskinned for the 79th time, you know, important ♥♥♥♥ that the players want.

/Sarc off

I get what you mean but in the case of trees it is always for the purpose of making them less expensive and increasing performance.

Now biome ground textures and biome lighting filters on the other hand.... :)

Whoa! Never quite seen it like that. I have driven miles of road where you barely can see the barbed wire fence because the tumbleweed have amassed in front of it. On a house though? Crazy.

Tumbleweed could be worked into the game somehow. It's horde night, you are running back to your base at the last moment, and you find your door blocked by tumbleweed. The most effective tool for clearing is a hoe, and a level 600 one only takes away 1% of the overall health. Good luck getting inside in time.

I wouldn't think of them as "sleeping", more resting or perched on buildings and light poles like vultures do IRL. "Sleeper" is just the term carried over from the zombie version due to the similar mechanics.

And “sight” doesn’t have to be interpreted literally, either. Ever wake up to the smell of bacon and/or coffee? I bet that’s how we smell to a sleeping zombie. :D

we need more cars variety laying around than just boring sedan

+1

I would like to see more car models.

I still don't understand this "texture space" limitation that MM mentioned a few times as reason to why they don't add more car models. If anybody could explain it to me pls, that would be great! ;)

/Sarc off

Lol... well, they worked on weapons mods, right?

faatal:

I have a question regarding the digging zombie (dog was it?).

Let's say, for some reason, you have a base underground. I imagine, that if the entrance is far away, the z's still conjugate on top of you on hoard night as it is now.

But, is there some kind of mechanism to keep any digger in place a little, if you move around in your cave?

It could mean the difference between swiss cheese land scape vs just a big hole where they actually have a chance of reaching you.

We may change that and have regular zombies dig, not sure until I start working on it. Hopefully this week.

It depends on distance. How I treat the angle. We shall see.

@Fataal Great changes on the vulture! That base code will also improve our other flying entities like birds and Wyverns. If you would, please consider hooking in the aiming code for ranged attacks, even if you currently don't have plans to implement ranged attacks on the vulture. Right now my flying entities continue to turn when the ranged attack is triggered, causing poor accuracy for the projectile. If they could hold thier course for a few seconds during the ranged attack, that would be a huge benefit. Thanks!

Thx. I added "testing a range weapon on vulture" to my todo list, but may not get to it until A17 is done.

Sleeper vultures have a sight range +1? What is that about?

They have a home range of sleeping sight range + 1 (which can be set per sleeper), which is not the regular sight range.

So returning home has nothing to going back to roost but simply lining up for the next attack?

There is a home mode and an attack relocate mode.

All of this sounds really cool but what about player hiding?

Vultures, having separate AI code than anything else, used to use the revenge target to track stuff, so that may be why it was different. It uses the normal attack target now, which plays a sound and timesout like the normal AI and other code will tell it has an attack target, so that may fix it. They also use the normal can see check, so being behind an obstacle does stop their sight.

@fataal: Will the vulture ragdoll on a critical hit? Seems like it would be quite satisfying to knock the little ♥♥♥♥ers out of the air and then club them to death.

No, but sounds cool. They have to get back up from the ragdoll, which can look weird for entities without stand up anims, like every animal. Maybe someday, but not A17, unless I magically get everything done and have some free time. Right....hahahahahaha

@Faatal

I dunno maybe it's just me but I always thought it made sense that zombies like the construction/lumber jack/biker/wight/feral should get a bonus for destroying natural earth and man made blocks.

What are your thoughts on this?

Will the character get regdoll when stunned? Can be a strong stunning = regdoll, a weak stunning = slowing the player, and slowing the attack of the player?

Currently the players have no stand up anims, so it looks pretty bad blending from ragdoll to standing and the item in their hands moves around weirdly, so not likely for A17.

I am glad hearing the Vulture changes , make them sound actually more like vultures behavior...Its a shame they decided to axe the bees before you got a chance to work on them...

Now , how are all those zombie fish , piranhas and gators AI coming along? ;)

I wouldn't think of them as "sleeping", more resting or perched on buildings and light poles like vultures do IRL. "Sleeper" is just the term carried over from the zombie version due to the similar mechanics.

You can say they are sleeping, resting, thinking, knitting or whatever works for you, but snakes, vultures and some other animals can now be sleepers, just like zombies, meaning they sit there until you damage them or they see or hear you.

@faatal

Nice changes to the vulture! Right now when a vulture hoard spawns they kind of drift away like balloons. You have probably tested vulture hoards since your fixes, how well do they work?

I have not tested in a horde, but Gazz and I just talked about that issue this week and I plan on adding some method to get them following or going to the horde destination. If I don't get to it, for A17, they will still behave somewhat better, since their long vision will allow them to see you sometimes and start coming your way.

You can say they are sleeping, resting, thinking, knitting or whatever works for you, but snakes, vultures and some other animals can now be sleepers, just like zombies, meaning they sit there until you damage them or they see or hear you.

"It's probably pining for the fjords."

- Monty Python: Dead Parrot Sketch

Archived