Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I suspect the hp bar is going to get a critical hit and it'll release by the end of may just to shock us all.

Also what kind of weapon mods will there be? we know about the silencer, fire rate, automatic, clip size, and that weird duckbill mod for the shotgun. But what are the other kinds of mods for example I understand melee weapons have mods as well? Will there be one that gives the club a blade so we can skin animals with it. Mostly just to save a inventory slot. Also for the shotgun any chance of a silencer? its a close range weapon, so it'd be nice to be actually able to use it in poi's and such.

The same with bandits. No mention at all. Nada. Noppes.

Personally, I'm past worried.

Not explicitly, no. Buuuuuut... MM has said that bandits were being held back for two major reasons. Animations and AI. We've seen some of the new animations, and faatal is balls deep in the AI (I have a feeling the first iteration of bandit AI will lean heavily on zombie AI) so I wouldn't be too worried.

Most people wanted a vehicle to carry at least 2 players, this is why they where excited for the jeep. Putting the jeep in A17 without the capability of carrying 2 players is pointless, I don't think people are excited about the 'jeep' per say, just allowing to carry another player is what they want ( or at least 99% of people who i know agree ). The minibike with a extra seat would have been fine for many, the jeep, meh...

Most people wanted a vehicle to carry at least 2 players, this is why they where excited for the jeep. Putting the jeep in A17 without the capability of carrying 2 players is pointless, I don't think people are excited about the 'jeep' per say, just allowing to carry another player is what they want ( or at least 99% of people who i know agree ). The minibike with a extra seat would have been fine for many, the jeep, meh...

By that logic, no one who plays single player was excited for the Jeep. Does that seem correct to you?

Well im excited about the 'jeep' per say. But you dont know me so i cant be part of your 1%.

Cheers

Guest Rassilon

+1.

I wouldnt say "pointless" but yes, many ( me included ) were very looking forward in the new COOP Aspect ( 2 in one Vehicle, maybe 1 shooting, 1 driving ) that comes with it and now feel a bit let down.

I m still looking forward to the Jeep and cant wait for A17 in general... But it was a hit in the neck.

I really don't understand why people want to go in same vehicle. What is the point at all. For me I prefer my own vehicle, if I can afford gas. Having two vehicle allow you to have more storage space, Means more you can carry back. We go to places for either hunting/exploration or shifting base as new bigger base is created or whatever. In either case vehicle is needed for carry goods, which your backpack cannot. Also, Often in my game play, if one is tired or need to pick something they take back their vehicle leaving me my own ride with me. So why worry.

I prefer passenger only if he has ability to shoot, while on ride, else it is just useless for me.

All I want from a jeep is to have twice as much storage space as a mini-bike. I mostly play SP and sometimes MP, but I prefer to have my own vehicle no matter what kind of game mode I play.

Ability to carry 2 players or more on jeep or even 2 players on motorcycle would be good, but if it's will be added later I don't mind it.

Imagine that jeep can carry 4 players, and you're going to loot town with friends on it, but it's inventory is slightly bigger than mini bike, so taking 4 mini-bikes is more efficient than taking one jeep.

By that logic, no one who plays single player was excited for the Jeep. Does that seem correct to you?

I don't know anyone who only plays single player so cannot comment weather or not it's something they are excited or not for the jeep. I would imagine a single player only gamer would just prefer more storage rather than a vehicle with no other advantages.

On the subject of the Jeep, when I set up a server or my friends do, we have one friend that dies repeatedly trying to get to wherever we are building the base. Then he spends the next several days trying to 'recover' all those lost backpacks. The Jeep would come in very handy to go get HIM and then run him around finding all those backpacks so he stops dying so much.

I say "Yes, okay, and this is great!" in the Staff meetings and then return to my room where I teach math the way it has been for 1000's of years...

What God hath designed let not man common core!

My son's 4th grade math teacher hated me over common core. All of a sudden he had trouble in math so I went in to talk to her about it. I asked to see the test he had done so poorly on and when she showed it to me I went through each question and the ones that you could only answer if you did the problem some idiotic way I said, "Don't care about that one, nope not this one either, etc" They were all asking for intermediate steps in some absurd way to compare fractions or something. She said his standardized test scores would cause him problems and when I informed her they meant nothing to him only to the schools funding she got REALLY mad. Lol

I suspect the hp bar is going to get a critical hit and it'll release by the end of may just to shock us all.

Also what kind of weapon mods will there be? we know about the silencer, fire rate, automatic, clip size, and that weird duckbill mod for the shotgun. But what are the other kinds of mods for example I understand melee weapons have mods as well? Will there be one that gives the club a blade so we can skin animals with it. Mostly just to save a inventory slot. Also for the shotgun any chance of a silencer? its a close range weapon, so it'd be nice to be actually able to use it in poi's and such.

The date that would be pretty good and somewhat realistic would be the 4th of July. It wouldn't be good for sales if they missed the summer break. Also let the Youtube'ers do some free advertising before the kids have to go back to school.

Stealth will be THE thing for sweeping POI's. F.U.N!

This might be seen as a rant so just be aware :p

I must confess I am worried about this update, I mean A16 vastly improved how I enjoyed the game in a positive way however I was disappointed by how many things didn't make the cut that were showcased in the previews and A17 is in dangerous territory for a repeat, the showing off the gyrocopter, jeep and other smaller things that aren't being fully implemented(or implemented at all). I mean I almost think that Joel or someone needs to put up a video explaining the current state of the alpha 17, maybe even hold off on adding of the jeep until passengers and upgrades/customization can be added leave that for 17.2 or something(assuming 17.1 will be mostly bug fixes). I don't wanna be a downer but transparency is key when making a game in early access imho.

That sentence basically shows you don't understand early access. The point of a new Alpha is not to satisfy us with the content. It is for us to test what they feel needs tested before implementing the next phase of a particular part of the game. They put in an entirely new vehicle physics system. It needs to be tested pretty thoroughly before trying to add something as complicated as passengers. Especially multiple passengers.

You know that issue where the zombies sometimes have a reach of 20 feet and can hit you from WAY outside your own range when playing on a crowded server? That is a result of the server and your client not agreeing on where you are in relation to the zombie. And both you and the zombie are relatively immobile compared to the whole map. Now think about what the same issue will do with 4 people in a jeep running along at full tilt. It is not the easiest thing to program.

I really don't understand why people want to go in same vehicle. What is the point at all. For me I prefer my own vehicle, if I can afford gas. Having two vehicle allow you to have more storage space, Means more you can carry back. We go to places for either hunting/exploration or shifting base as new bigger base is created or whatever. In either case vehicle is needed for carry goods, which your backpack cannot. Also, Often in my game play, if one is tired or need to pick something they take back their vehicle leaving me my own ride with me. So why worry.

I prefer passenger only if he has ability to shoot, while on ride, else it is just useless for me.

You never saw my wife try to drive a mini bike. It's like watching a hamster trying to assemble IKEA furniture without the instructions. She is going to permanent passenger, shooting at Zombies while I drag her uncoordinated butt from one POI to the next.

I can't wait.

Respectfully I will have to disagree, people who don't follow this thread won't know about the jeep and will be bitterly disappointed when they join a server with friends, build up to the stage of having vehicles and find out they will all need their own, I dunno maybe I am asking too much.

I think its better to postpone the jeep, the other new vehicles "should" keep people busy long enough(month or so) for a for a fix to be found and the jeep to be added with full support.

Those people don't understand Early Access and you can't develop a game properly catering to them.

You never saw my wife try to drive a mini bike. It's like watching a hamster trying to assemble IKEA furniture without the instructions. She is going to permanent passenger, shooting at Zombies while I drag her uncoordinated butt from one POI to the next.

I can't wait.

Until she reads this post and starts plotting to shoot you while driving (after unfriending you) and uncoordinatedly driving off killing half the forest laughing hysterically.

Note to wife of Genosis: If you don't know how, learn to record your game. We definitely have to see this...

... however I was disappointed by how many things didn't make the cut that were showcased in the previews and A17 is in dangerous territory for a repeat, the showing off the gyrocopter, jeep and other smaller things that aren't being fully implemented(or implemented at all)

So you worry because of things shown too early(!!) that finally didn't make it in

I don't wanna be a downer but transparency is key when making a game in early access imho.

and your solution is transparency(??). Sorry, your first sentence shows exactly why TFP decided that they need to put the brakes on transparency and keep possible new features in the dark until they are very very sure they are in.

I can't wait.

So, you are saying that you wife not smart enough to drive mini bike, or you're too smart and compare her to hamster? It's just simple WASD movement.

If she is bad at cooking food or cleaning house, you're going to do it all everyday by yourself?

P.S. You opinion about your wife is so low, I'm sad. I would definitely shoot you several times than a zombies if I were on her place.

sure they probably have some inside sort of deadline

If they have, that deadline is just something that will be exceeded and everyone knows it. :smile-new: Software development always takes longer than expected.

I think they have a list of features different people or teams are working on. Once they are finished with that list, they will release. They might add a feature to the list if someone is finished early with his list and can't help with other features, or they might remove a feature that doesn't work as well as expected or takes up much more development time than expected. Other than that, that list is their "deadline"

So, you are saying that you wife not smart enough to drive mini bike, or you're too smart and compare her to hamster? It's just simple WASD movement.

If she is bad at cooking food or cleaning house, you're going to do it all everyday by yourself?

P.S. You opinion about your wife is so low, I'm sad. I would definitely shoot you several times than a zombies if I were on her place.

Jezus.. it's 2018, some people still have humor. Don't be such a poseur.

So... behavior trees... with several behavior options to choose from at any given moment it would not be a bad idea to use a behavior tree. Have they been implemented and, if so, what type? Will the modders be able to build their own from a bit of xml trickery and boilerplate code?

It is a prioritized behavior list, which is how it worked before. Ripping that up would take too much time. Beyond A17, we may do something different.

Dude chill; it really is just a bit of humor, she just hates using the bike and refuses because she has trouble with it (constantly colliding and cant turn it around to save her life). She is by no means a "gamer", and tends to stick with farming games and Pokemon. Basic "WASD" movement isn't exactly a honed skill she has. I already mentioned this post and got a laugh about it, agreeing with how I phrased it. We are a sarcastic, good-natured teasing family. :D

She generally doesnt even leave our base, this is really a decorating simulator for her, with the occasional shooting gallery when the horde crashes against our walls (she likes this part too). I am the adventurer/hunter/gatherer in our little duo.

That aside, maybe the new vehicle enhancements might make the controls easier for her to handle!

I can't wait.

I thought IKEA furniture was designed with both hamster intellect and life expectancy in mind in regards to assembly and durability...

Archived