Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The Bar is God. One must worship it and bask in its glory.

Blegh. Dont make me.. BARf..

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know... Between DeVega and SnowDog talking all nice like lately. I am not sure who to dislike anymore.

Hehe pick me! Pick me! I can talk bad about anything you want :)

Hello there Funpimps,

is there any chance to scale or set size of the map before first start?

As far as I know there only exist two map sizes;

The Navegane Zone, what is abit too small for my need

and then Random Gen map, wich is way to huge for my opinion.

To make my map-questions complete: is there also a chance to have

a kind map editor beside this random generating thing?

Greetings...

I knew it! That whole "Al's breakfast burrito bar" was just a front for your ghost-pirate operation!

Wait, are those five human graves? What do you mean four humans and a large talking dog?

When Vinnie the knife and Ivan the Axe deliver the finest meat like substance for our famous burritos, we have a strict policy!

"We never, ever, ever accept anyone I know, well, at least anyone I like... a lot. Unless we're short of meat like substances."

No. Trying to guess the release date based on the bar is pointless. Roland changes the bar as he pleases. At best, the bar represents an educated guess by Roland as to when he thinks it will release. Except that I’m pretty sure Roland has added a substantial buffer to the bar to manage expectations. My guess is that if development goes as planned Roland will remove a huge chunk from the bar once it’s close to launching. On the other hand, if the dev team hits a major obstacle Roland will stop updating the bar, or *gasp* add more health to the bar.

IMO, the only time the bar will be accurate is the minute roland lets us know that A17-E is released. Then he just adjusts the bar to zero and it is done.

Hello there Funpimps,

is there any chance to scale or set size of the map before first start?

As far as I know there only exist two map sizes;

The Navegane Zone, what is abit too small for my need

and then Random Gen map, wich is way to huge for my opinion.

To make my map-questions complete: is there also a chance to have

a kind map editor beside this random generating thing?

Greetings...

If I am not mistaken (and I have made many mistakes and started off with that very phrase) the size of the RG map is adjustable. You can ask in modding section and I am sure someone there can help.

i did a 50 x 50 from surface to bedrock with the idea that when they came to get me on horde night they would be sufficiently softened after their fall it would be loot candy.

well....

the si meant i had sooooo much unpredictable hanging caveins that i died dozens of times just trying to clear the space. put a rebar frame in the wrong spot and everything comes down on you. put it in the right spot and it comes down away from you. either way a cave in from surface to bedrock 70 blocks deep takes ages to happen. talk about lag. and you end up with floating terrain. absolutely safe. but boring. so it all came down.

must say that looking at a large caved in rock face presents some freaky images. i got a screenshot where i van see futuramas bender - clawed hands and all. many cat face images in the rock as well. freaky. will load image next time im on my home pc as opposed to this phone or work pc...

Yeah when you stare too long at the stone while mining it's like a constant rorschach test

Hmm. I wonder if anyone's done a base design that incorporates structural integrity failures on purpose, as traps. That is, where you can cross a supported segment fine as one person, but when a cluster of zombies all try to cross the same segment, they're too heavy and the structure gives way. There would be something poetic about the zombies' chaotic, destructive nature being the instrument of their own demise.

I hit a player-made trap that did something like this, I had to applaud the anonymous designer. One of those tall apartment buildings in the big cities? Someone completely gutted a middle section and set up a floor that led to a base on the roof. Wanting to raid the base, I walked right in, at the end of the floor was a wood frame in front of the door so of course I take the frame out to break the door in and what do you know, the wood frame was holding up the platform I was standing on so I fell 6 stories into a bed of spikes lmaooo

Of course now we actually have collapsing floor traps and a paintbrush so that method is more or less obsoleted

Wow. That's great. You carved that Totem pole out of rock? That is so cool.

You know that if you can talk to the administrator of your server. They may work it out so you can have an easier time digging. In single player, I can adjust the hardness of all objects from 150% to just 25%. The administrator should be able to do the same thing. They could work it out so you can go to town carving up a hill. :)

Then reset it when your done. So long as everyone agrees to play nice during that time, that is.

Haha yeah I play PvP on high-pop servers so that wouldn't really fly. Also I like the challenge and sense of accomplishment. If I can just carve it all out instantly it's like, well why am I even bothering I guess. The challenge is to invest so much time in base building that the base becomes unraidable, at least not realistically. Having tall, sheer walls and a moat with drawbridges is a pretty surefire way to defend your base in pvp

No. Trying to guess the release date based on the bar is pointless. Roland changes the bar as he pleases. At best, the bar represents an educated guess by Roland as to when he thinks it will release. Except that I’m pretty sure Roland has added a substantial buffer to the bar to manage expectations. My guess is that if development goes as planned Roland will remove a huge chunk from the bar once it’s close to launching. On the other hand, if the dev team hits a major obstacle Roland will stop updating the bar, or *gasp* add more health to the bar.

Nah What's the point of adding health to the bar when you can just take away smaller and smaller increments each week or so. But if i were in charge of the bar i would assign percentage values to each of the release goals and every time a goal was met, that percentage would go down if it turns out the original set of goals was short-sighted, just reassign the percentages to add up to what you have left. I know they aren't working on projects linearly, so i don't know how the xp bar could logically work into it. Maybe I'd make the xp bar represent the project that's "closest" to done and if one magically finishes before the original one, just reset the xp bar, give the health bar the appropriate hit, and call it good.

Edit: i guess the only downside is that you'd probably have to wait a while before seeing any progress on the HP bar which isn't a crowd pleaser. on the upside each hit on the bar would actually mean something and maybe you could even tell what the hit was for. to compensate for lack of visual progress you could purposely make sub goals. I'll probably get smacked around for this next comment, but it takes allot of self control not to feel like nothing has been accomplished since May 1 (last time Second post was updated). I love TFP and have full confidence in their abilities, I just feel like even updates like "just made serious progress on the jeep" would help everyone feel better about progress.

Oh man, you know nothing..... XD

This was one of my deepest finished builds, off the top of my head I think it was about 40 blocks deep and 28x28

deepfin1.jpg

And the finished build:

deepfin2.jpg

deepfin4.jpg

deepfin3.jpg

I also have a short video tour of the base as well:

Honestly it's not my most impressive and greatest build of all time, but it's impressive because I managed it on a live PvP server by myself with 20+ players online at all times.

This is my biggest digging project to date, this was before they nerfed the steel pickaxe to take 2 hits to break stone. It used to take 1 hit to break stone and even then this took 3 full days to carve:

deepunfin1.jpg

If I recall correctly this is 25x25x150, I don't have a picture of the finished build for this one unfortunately.

If you're talking about digging specifically, call me dig dug lmao

Digging out a huge moat is so cathartic for me

So I'm not the only rock hunter in this world after all :D

One question guys: are they going to add a new weapon with this a17 like they have done in a16 (compound bow)?

You mean that pointless weapon no one really ever uses because its weaker than the crossbow, yet much more of a pain to upgrade the quality of it? Due to in A16 it being parts insted of just a completly made item. Not to mention I suck at headshoting with it for some reason, guess I am to used to the old wooden bow.

What new weapon are you hoping for?

Firearm? The new system will make it possible.

Spear? Still no.

I don't get why they don't put spears in, I mean think of it, all the bladed weapons are locked behind books, or a fairly high level. Spears would be a way to get one early game. Could have a Stone, then iron, then steel one. In a mod I play the iron one is about the same as a barbed club for damage but has more range. Can't butcher animals with it though sadly. Once I get machetes (or the hunting knife book whichever is first) I never use clubs again, as the knifes serve 2 purposes in 1 inv slot. A good weapon and a butchering tool. Thats why I hope in a17 there is a "Blade mod" for clubs that lets you butcher corpses, make it give the same amount of meat/skin/etc as a hunting knife, but make it take 2-3x as long to butcher it to balance it.

I don't get why they don't put spears in, I mean think of it, all the bladed weapons are locked behind books, or a fairly high level. Spears would be a way to get one early game. Could have a Stone, then iron, then steel one. In a mod I play the iron one is about the same as a barbed club for damage but has more range. Can't butcher animals with it though sadly. Once I get machetes (or the hunting knife book whichever is first) I never use clubs again, as the knifes serve 2 purposes in 1 inv slot. A good weapon and a butchering tool. Thats why I hope in a17 there is a "Blade mod" for clubs that lets you butcher corpses, make it give the same amount of meat/skin/etc as a hunting knife, but make it take 2-3x as long to butcher it to balance it.

I think it's low priority for them right now. The live action trailer shows a spear being crafted and Madmole has said he would like there to be spears so I think there will eventually be spears but before another melee weapon gets added there are other things that are taking up development time and focus.

Archived