Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

So... behavior trees... with several behavior options to choose from at any given moment it would not be a bad idea to use a behavior tree. Have they been implemented and, if so, what type? Will the modders be able to build their own from a bit of xml trickery and boilerplate code?

Yes.

If there were multiple penalty types in each grid location, zombies could even use different weighting combinations, so they would have varied behavior, like weaker ones place a stronger value to block health, while higher damaging zombies don't care to go around as much. More data in the grid will use more memory, but should be fine.

There it is.

I obviously didn't read that carefully! This will make every zombie type not only unique and interesting, but the players targeting choices will require some thought if they make an asymmetrical base.

Edit: So the only smart way to focus all your turrets on one side IMHO (I could be wrong), is to build into the side of a mountain at ground level, like some NORAD thing.

It could be interesting!

This might be seen as a rant so just be aware :p

I must confess I am worried about this update, I mean A16 vastly improved how I enjoyed the game in a positive way however I was disappointed by how many things didn't make the cut that were showcased in the previews and A17 is in dangerous territory for a repeat, the showing off the gyrocopter, jeep and other smaller things that aren't being fully implemented(or implemented at all). I mean I almost think that Joel or someone needs to put up a video explaining the current state of the alpha 17, maybe even hold off on adding of the jeep until passengers and upgrades/customization can be added leave that for 17.2 or something(assuming 17.1 will be mostly bug fixes). I don't wanna be a downer but transparency is key when making a game in early access imho.

Also I hope that the power system gets a relook in the future adding in garage doors that open on a button(or sensor) and even a electrical conduit that is a solid piece so we can clean up the messy wires etc(or just give us the ziplines :p ). The current system seems like its lacking a little polish, its a fantastic addition though don't get me wrong.

I dunno I love the game and it has great potential I just hope a17 isn't flashy features and not fleshed out features.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ some people won't agree, maybe some people will but eitherway felt I needed to say something.

I must confess I am worried about this update, I mean A16 vastly improved how I enjoyed the game in a positive way however I was disappointed by how many things didn't make the cut that were showcased in the previews and A17 is in dangerous territory for a repeat, the showing off the gyrocopter, jeep and other smaller things that aren't being fully implemented(or implemented at all). I mean I almost think that Joel or someone needs to put up a video explaining the current state of the alpha 17, maybe even hold off on adding of the jeep until passengers and upgrades/customization can be added leave that for 17.2 or something(assuming 17.1 will be mostly bug fixes). I don't wanna be a downer but transparency is key when making a game in early access imho.

Also I hope that the power system gets a relook in the future adding in garage doors that open on a button(or sensor) and even a electrical conduit that is a solid piece so we can clean up the messy wires etc(or just give us the ziplines :p ). The current system seems like its lacking a little polish, its a fantastic addition though don't get me wrong.

I dunno I love the game and it has great potential I just hope a17 isn't flashy features and not fleshed out features.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ some people won't agree, maybe some people will but eitherway felt I needed to say something.

Mostly everything on the first page and shown in the videos is in. You have to remember that the pimps add things by iterations so electricity is definitely lacking polish because what was implemented was the first iteration. The jeep will be added for sure but as a first version it won't support passengers-- but that will be added in later. No reason to not implement jeeps at all just because they know they won't have time to get all the issues with passengers figured out by A17 release.

Gyrocopter was shown but then decided to be held back as the pedal bike, motorcycle, and jeep were good enough for A17.

The devs talk about "shippable" features more than they have in the past. There are still "good enough" features being added as a first version but there are others that they are getting into their final gold release quality forms. The devs do not consider the current state of electricity to be in final shippable form so there will be more work done on that whether A17 or A18 is unclear.

I think A17 will have some good meaty substance that will be fun for new players and veterans alike.

Who are you? ...and what have you done with the REAL DaVega?!

Hehe, it was either my good-natured twin brother, or my other identity ^^

But alright, alright.

Ahum.

It's been almost 12 months since A16 experimental was released and it's been more than a month since we received a video!!

No reason to not implement jeeps at all just because they know they won't have time to get all the issues with passengers figured out by A17 release.

Respectfully I will have to disagree, people who don't follow this thread won't know about the jeep and will be bitterly disappointed when they join a server with friends, build up to the stage of having vehicles and find out they will all need their own, I dunno maybe I am asking too much.

I think its better to postpone the jeep, the other new vehicles "should" keep people busy long enough(month or so) for a for a fix to be found and the jeep to be added with full support.

Respectfully I will have to disagree, people who don't follow this thread won't know about the jeep and will be bitterly disappointed when they join a server with friends, build up to the stage of having vehicles and find out they will all need their own, I dunno maybe I am asking too much.

I think its better to postpone the jeep, the other new vehicles "should" keep people busy long enough(month or so) for a for a fix to be found and the jeep to be added with full support.

I agree. Jeep and his recipies can be blocked in XML, so that only those who know about it will themselves get it)

I must confess I am worried about this update,...

I'm not worried in the slightest. A17 will bring tons of great stuff as all the previous alphas. In pimps we trust!

About the stuff that might not make the cut, that's just something that comes with the forums. You read everything here, well, some of it is not gonna make it to A17.

I personally would be happy with even more information about what TFP are planning and thinking and I wouldn't mind if some of it never make it to the game. I think it was more like this with early alphas, but as the crowd is more sensitive about it now, we now only get information about what's almost certain to be included.

I totally disagree about holding off content that hasn't reached its final iteration or the notion that everything they talk about is taken as a solid promise. (or else people feel like they are robbed of their ziplines...)

Guest Rassilon

Got to agree with the Jeep here. Learning to know, that the Jeep wont most likely have the ability to have Passengers in A17 is a let down of some sort.

A17 looks like a great Update, looking at all the features, but for the Jeep im gonna ask: Why should i farm/build it, when it does the same things as the Minibike? ( a bit faster, a bit more inventory?...)

It seems to me that with this kind of reasoning it's better to postpone the game until it goes gold because there will be other features not yet finished that someone would like right away.

Why should i farm/build it, when it does the same things as the Minibike? ( a bit faster, a bit more inventory?...)

to have more variety in vehicles, and not drive bike all the time and get bored of it. why gta would have 100 models of different vehicles if you can have just one and other does exactly the same thing

Got to agree with the Jeep here. Learning to know, that the Jeep wont most likely have the ability to have Passengers in A17 is a let down of some sort.

A17 looks like a great Update, looking at all the features, but for the Jeep im gonna ask: Why should i farm/build it, when it does the same things as the Minibike? ( a bit faster, a bit more inventory?...)

Because variety is the spice of life. Imagine how boring this game would get if there were only 2-3 distinctive types of zombies and you only had a club and a pistol to fight with forever. You'd be begging for more. As for the functionality of the jeep, I kind of see it as more of an endgame vehicle, meaning you'll likely have to be reasonably high level to craft parts for it or get SUPER lucky and find everything you need to make it early on. This will likely be rewarded by 1: More inventory spots for doing day(s) long loots runs to a distant town 2: Far better durability than the minibike 3: Higher travel speeds, cutting down on unproductive time 4: Better effect when plowing through zombies (and entertainment when going GTA on a random horde) and finally 5: The ability to have passengers. I mean the only thing that could make this bad boy better would be a mounted .50 cal gunner position on the back, but let's not be giving TFP evil ideas *wink wink*

Guest Rassilon
to have more variety in vehicles, and not drive bike all the time and get bored of it. why gta would have 100 models of different vehicles if you can have just one and other does exactly the same thing

In this Case i would rather see more Variety in Blocks or Weapons, not just 5 Guns, 1 for each Type...

And dont get me wrong, im pretty hyped for A17. Just looked forward in Coop Driving and am now a bit dissapointed in this perticular feature.

33% REMAINING UNTIL A17 RELEASE!

That's 3% in 6 days, giving a projection of July 21!!!

Not subtracting any "buffering" of the release date, we now have:

Earliest release date: July 21 (66 days left)

Latest release date: September 6 (113 days left)

We have one foot in the "Two digit midget" range!

You forget one thing, in GTA you don't need to build vehicles.

7D2D is survival game, so you need a ton of resources to build 100 vehicles just to have fun and eventually you will drive 2-3 vehicles that have bigger inventory, speed or ability to cross big bodies of water(gyrocopter).

The devs do not consider the current state of electricity to be in final shippable form so there will be more work done on that whether A17 or A18 is unclear.

Is this 100% sure? I am a little worried because electricity has not been mentioned since A16 release and I am the biggest fan of electricity! Seriously, it is the single most promising feature of the game IMO (I know, many wont agree). The whole aspect of tower defense is related to electricity.

I have copied all of faatal's posts on the subject of AI and pathing to their own thread so that people may read through them all without distraction and get a solid picture of his progress with the overhaul. Now YOU can form your own opinion of what faatal has been doing without the filter of MY interpretation. It is a very interesting read and I hope it spurs more questions, conversation, and enlightens some who may have been confused by all the commentary by the masses.

A very faatalistic thread about AI and Pathing

Just want to chime in that this was a good idea. Ever so often I think about moving posts out of the thread, but it hadn’t occurred to me to copy them.

Mostly everything on the first page and shown in the videos is in. You have to remember that the pimps add things by iterations so electricity is definitely lacking polish because what was implemented was the first iteration. The jeep will be added for sure but as a first version it won't support passengers-- but that will be added in later. No reason to not implement jeeps at all just because they know they won't have time to get all the issues with passengers figured out by A17 release.

Gyrocopter was shown but then decided to be held back as the pedal bike, motorcycle, and jeep were good enough for A17.

The devs talk about "shippable" features more than they have in the past. There are still "good enough" features being added as a first version but there are others that they are getting into their final gold release quality forms. The devs do not consider the current state of electricity to be in final shippable form so there will be more work done on that whether A17 or A18 is unclear.

I think A17 will have some good meaty substance that will be fun for new players and veterans alike.

So Roland knows the Launch date ...

Is this 100% sure? I am a little worried because electricity has not been mentioned since A16 release and I am the biggest fan of electricity! Seriously, it is the single most promising feature of the game IMO (I know, many wont agree). The whole aspect of tower defense is related to electricity.

They didn't talk as I don't see much of improvement which make a significant difference. I mean electricity is workable even now, (not talking about bugs or optimization).. You can make guns and thing, the only improvement I see is to make lights to spread in more area, in 9x9 room even 4 lights are not sufficient, and certainly not like regular room/common household lights. or maybe hidden wires/ that can be cut by zombie ? These are good aspect but still electicity is workable in current state.

The same with bandits. No mention at all. Nada. Noppes.

Personally, I'm past worried.

Archived