Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

In terms of sounds I would love if some of the old office buildings had office music (elevator music) playing, to give a bit more ambiants, also wish the same for some POI just to make things a little more interesting and immersive.

Totally agree :)

I tried searching but got a bunch of irrelevant returns. Is it going to be possible in SP to take over a POI larger than your bed roll and not have Z's inside when you come back? Not looking to lock down the skyscrapers(construction site would be nice though).

I tried searching but got a bunch of irrelevant returns. Is it going to be possible in SP to take over a POI larger than your bed roll and not have Z's inside when you come back? Not looking to lock down the skyscrapers(construction site would be nice though).

I'm using an hanging three floor rectangular structure, far longer than wider: never found any zs inside also because its surrounded by spikes and traps and can only be accessed with stairs. Also by climbing stairs anyway I left a lot of empty blocks in the passageways so zs will fall.

In previous games I've tried to estabilish a base in the whole police building in the desert: a nightmare :) ok maybe you can but in my opinion the investment in turrets and hundreds of gizmos traps is not rewarding.

As of now my play rule is: small base well designed, big pit for the red moon nights just to tighten the zs army and then vehicles to explore. Conquering big structure... maybe one day, but not yet.

39% REMAINING UNTIL A17 is RELEASED!!!

Thats 3% in six days. They worked on some new mind bending concepts last week so 3% is still an achievement!

Its hard to predict the completion date right now as they complete some new game innovations, so cheer them on! :)

39%? One of us is way off because that looks like 33% remaining to me. Although admittedly I am probably being optimistic and it's probably somewhere in the middle. :)

on my screen i get...

total bar length 215 mm red bar 85 mm (85/215*100) = 39.53488....... %

not that it means a damn thing....lol it is there to amuse/annoy those who have no patience .

its 13/33*100 = 39.39% ^^

<font size="6"><font color="#FF0000">#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;</font>#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;#9608;</font>

Cheers

RWG was pregenned before yes. but in less compacted data causing run time distance calculations for say, road asphault.

Now this is being precalculated and added to an image map that contains the roads. The height part of them is stored in the world height map.

The way the old RWG generated vs the new way is a bit too large of a topic to cover in passive discussion. I put pregenerated in quotes because it's simply outputting the same biome map, terrain map, etc. like navezgane has. Generation takes about as long as it did before but once it's done all will be output to maps for quicker loading. Since so much was done with the data loader for the navezgane format and much more is being done for distant trees and terrain it only made sense to match it up to that.

We are NOT generating all the chunks. That's just not going to be doable for reasons others have already stated, takes too long. But outputting it in the same dtm, biome map, prefabs.xml etc. only stands to gain speed and also gets all the features without me having to do special coding specifically for RWG.

Feel free to think over pros and cons but I'm 100% certain of what I'm doing. Just sit back and relax. :)

Huh??? Coming from a programming perspective, I'm confused. Less compacted data? So, like it was zipped data?

Mind explaining 'image map'? In fact, a lot of that terminology?

on my screen i get...

total bar length 215 mm red bar 85 mm (85/215*100) = 39.53488....... %

not that it means a damn thing....lol it is there to amuse/annoy those who have no patience .

Okay 39% it is then, sigh 33% was my optimism showing, I guess it's true that people see what they want to see.

Devs, could you please do something about the lag surrounding those bigger buildings? it's kinda killing me

Hi,

I'm not a developer but I'm curious :) which sort of bigger buildings are you talking about? In SP or MP?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm not a developer but I'm curious :) which sort of bigger buildings are you talking about? In SP or MP?

Thanks.

Hi,

i'm talking about the tall ones, like dishong tower or higashi pharmacheutical (mostly the new ones ). they lag a lot when i come across them

Hi,

Thanks.

Any huge building makes game stutter sometimes, especially when you go on the 5-10th floor where blocks are unstable... Nonmodded corp building.

Dont even think about TNT-ing it, i have tried and ohboy 2fps...

39%? One of us is way off because that looks like 33% remaining to me. Although admittedly I am probably being optimistic and it's probably somewhere in the middle. :)

It normally drops 6-7% but this time I see the red is 294 and the whole bar is 748, so 294/748 = 39%

I would prefer you be right though! :D

In simple terms: Anything to do with the voxels has to be programmed by TFP without unity's help. And that code is in C#.

TPF sort of translates the voxel stuff they internally use into normal unity type graphics, which Unity can display without problems.

Yes, a chunk of 16x16x16 voxels are turned into several types of meshes, which Unity renders.

Huh??? Coming from a programming perspective, I'm confused. Less compacted data? So, like it was zipped data?

Mind explaining 'image map'? In fact, a lot of that terminology?

ooh, ooh, I got this one!

Image map refers to height maps, or dtm's; if you poke around nav a little bit, you'll see that it uses an image file, or height map to generate the .rg (region) files. Less compacted would mean larger so it /sounds/ like they're going to be using height maps for rwg that are larger than nav's. Somehow. Still a little fuzzy on the details. But it's Sunday and that's Kin's day of posting. :)

Hey faatal, are u guys thinking of... well updating 7d2d to unity 2018 at one point and maybe, just maaaybe, try to exploit the new job system? It sounds like it might give huge boosts to some events. I havent tried unity beta with job system yet, but... u gotta say it sounds promising if nothing else :)

Hey faatal, are u guys thinking of... well updating 7d2d to unity 2018 at one point and maybe, just maaaybe, try to exploit the new job system? It sounds like it might give huge boosts to some events. I havent tried unity beta with job system yet, but... u gotta say it sounds promising if nothing else :)

He mentioned a big fat nope on that a few pages back, fyi.

I'm pretty sure they will eventually, the job system would be great for whatever water system ends up being used. Changing engine between alpha's is probably not a great idea, especially not with the new shader system borking all of the current shaders. That would be a couple of weeks extra work just to get back to the position they're in now when it comes to shaders.

*What I really mean is that I’ll be hoping the invisible HUD mod gets updated for A17 because that kind of modding is way beyond my meager skills.

Up to and inclusive of Alpha 16 more and more UI elements and even menus were moving to the XML based system for display.

madmoles videos thus far show new menus that look very similar in style and functionality to the XML based stuff we've seen thus far.

Reasonable conclusion, XML based and more modifiable than before.

Concern, you've got more inside knowledge and keep hinting less may be possible or it may be harder via comments like this.

Is there a reason for such concern you keep implying, or just creating drama?

Up to and inclusive of Alpha 16 more and more UI elements and even menus were moving to the XML based system for display.

madmoles videos thus far show new menus that look very similar in style and functionality to the XML based stuff we've seen thus far.

Reasonable conclusion, XML based and more modifiable than before.

Concern, you've got more inside knowledge and keep hinting less may be possible or it may be harder via comments like this.

Is there a reason for such concern you keep implying, or just creating drama?

:hororr::drama:

Moderator Fight! Fight! Fight! :playful:

*Kidding!*

Archived