Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

You know what would be awesome, but probably not possible?

Distant Weather:

- Seeing the mountain tops covered in mist/fog

- Seeing a giant dust storm loom closer and closer to your area

- Seeing a blizzard up ahead in a nearby town

- Seeing massive rain/thunder clouds drenching the desert

- High tailing it out of dodge when you see that radiation storm closing in on you

Maybe the sequel.

Distant weather might be hard to accomplish... idk.

I'd like to see global weather that doesn't change on the biome borders when you go back and forth. At the moment it breaks the immersion a bit when you drive between biomes and the weather keeps bouncing. Ideally there could be separate "weather biomes" that slowly move across the map and bring different conditions.

Of course rain would turn to snow when temp is below 0 Celsius and wind would cause different visual effets in differet biomes (sandstorm vs snowstorm).

EDIT:

+ little details that would add much to the game world, like wet surfaces that remain for couple of hours after rainfall, maybe coupled with more vivid colors until it all dries. Maybe some puddles. And snow that covers and melts much more slowly.

As far as we know, they haven't really begun with building background story until recently. In A16 the pharmaceutical tower is one of the locations suspected to be part of the background hints but who knows? We probably won't get much spoiler info from the developers (and that is as it should be).

In A17 they have rebuilt/upgraded the quest and dialog system, one reason probably being the ability to now tell a story in dialogs and quests. You will find that in Navezgane mostly, not RandomGen

See also the known features list Roland keeps updated on the first page of this thread.

Thank you and indeed I'm monitoring the features list continuously: I subscribed to the forum just because I felt that something about plot and story is not there. Anyway this game is a sandbox and a story is not needed so as of now I must thank the devs because also considering a story in a sandbox game is not as usual as someone may think.

So thank you for any enhancement about this in the game.

It sounds like we're not going to get a story on how the apoc started, just what's going on now... two factions, the Duke's and White River, each competing for resources... White River is the neutral/friendly, and the Duke is the bad guy. That painting MM keeps showing of an old white dude has something to do with the White River faction, maybe indicating faction friendly areas... beyond that, no clue.

Yeah I've read about the factions and it is definitely interesting and it'll add depth to the as is world. I hope anyway factions shall be designed more like Gothic 1/2 games where it was not immediately clear to know if someone is good or bad.

As far as I remember the best games where factions are implemented are Gothic, Morrowind and Fallout New Vegas: in these games factions are deeply nested into the game world and also in the plot evolution they were not just 2ndary quests generator like in many other games. I'm sure 7d2d will do even better!

Right, we don't really have much info on work about backstory apart from "Backstories for many of the POIs". And it could be those poi backstories are just about white river and Duke

But backstory about the apocalypse for me is something like the low hanging fruit of story contents, I would find it suprising if they don't put it in now.

To me it would be nice to have both backstory, current hints and maybe some crumb for an evolution in the future... maybe some NPC scientist that at a certain day flies away to save or destroy another city. You'll meet him again in a DLC or in 7d2d2.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope there are more tidbits lying around for the apoc origin, kind of like how the newspapers on the ground talk about it a bit. That'd be cool to figure the whole thing out based on those types of random clues.

...do you believe me if I say that my first game was spent in treasure hunt for newspapers? :) Found just the two of them: flu and nuclear. Definitely a topic to enhance.

Sequel and new game are not mutually exclusive. think franchise .... 28 days to die - mutations, updated gear and environments, could be a western, sci fi, or anything. cut the zombies (or not) add mutants, aliens, introduce backstory to 7 days today (alien virus?).

wonderful thing franchises.

Agreed 100%

I never had lag, or what I perceived as lag, do to changing weather??!??

World generation lag - yes.

Micro stutter lag - yes.

Too many players for the server to handle = lag - yes.

But not for the weather... You sir may need a new PC regardless...

I'd say the game is rough on the CPU because of the destructible environment, but the weather effects are probably more on the GPU and can even improve performance if they reduce the draw distance required sometimes?

It's distance and trees/shrubs that cause FPS drops usually.

It sounds like we're not going to get a story on how the apoc started, just what's going on now... two factions, the Duke's and White River, each competing for resources... White River is the neutral/friendly, and the Duke is the bad guy. That painting MM keeps showing of an old white dude has something to do with the White River faction, maybe indicating faction friendly areas... beyond that, no clue.

well, we are not getting it in a17 so this discussion is pointless

well, we are not getting it in a17 so this discussion is pointless

lol, why so harsh, a story and an endgame things are interesting thing for every player. It has been discussed before in several threads , it will be in the future threads, too. Till they pop up. Till then we are free to spam about them.

ooh, ooh, I got this one!

Image map refers to height maps, or dtm's; if you poke around nav a little bit, you'll see that it uses an image file, or height map to generate the .rg (region) files. Less compacted would mean larger so it /sounds/ like they're going to be using height maps for rwg that are larger than nav's. Somehow. Still a little fuzzy on the details. But it's Sunday and that's Kin's day of posting. :)

Yeah, thanks Gup, but that explanation didn't help much. It makes sense that the RWG map would be larger because that map is a lot larger than Navezgame (in terms of map geometric size in the game). And of course the constructed world data needs to be stored somewhere...but I got no sense from KinjaJuu's post. Buuut, I'll take it that it's a game improvement, so I'll say thanks, wish I was smarter, and get stuck into another game of 7d2d before A17 hits the shelves.

Just adding, though, I re-read the OP and there wasn't as much confusion this time around. I understood it tonight. Amazing what coffee can do!

why would you play a sandbox for story? END GAME is the most important thing in this type of games

Didn`t think it in that way, good point. What I thought was a story in navezgane as a compaign maybe. Nothing more, RWG story is just not possible and pointles. Endgame without a doubt is more important.

Oh , and yea, of course not everybody would like them, my bad ;)

Over the years I've had several ideas for an end-game scenario in 7D2D, my most recent idea was having a 30 day period where you have to find a certain amount of human survivors and bring them back to your underground base. After 30 days a huge nuclear blast goes off across the whole map that does a random generated number of damage and if your base, as a whole, has more than that number in HP (all your blocks) you survive, if not you witness the whole world blowing up, you included. Like, having the number of days survived turning red and you have a -30 days counter. And that period could start at anytime after 350+ days.

You see, I can never really find an ending that "fits". I for one don't really want an end-game mission sort of thing.

You are supposed to just survive, and I'm cool with that.

That being said, I'm ALL for a 1-life mode. I was hoping this would make it into A17.

Can you imagine how upset you would be if you break your leg, and are out in the wilderness somewhere without a splinter?

That being said, I'm ALL for a 1-life mode. I was hoping this would make it into A17.

Can you imagine how upset you would be if you break your leg, and are out in the wilderness somewhere without a splinter?

Its already recently known that death ingame will cause much more problems than before . I hope they think as you do.

I was thinking about some kind of end game goal which wouldn't exactly be forced upon the player, but would be an option if one chooses to do so.

There would be a hidden underground military base placed randomly as a part of RWG or somewhere fixed in Navezgane. It would not be destructible by the player, somewhat like trader outposts. For the exact location of the base, you would need to find hints throughout the world, military camps and such.

As the base would be indestructible, it would require some kind of a key to open the massive sealed doors. For the key, I was imagining something like a keycard which could be randomly placed for the player to be found in harder biomes such as wasteland (the key would be placed near a randomly positioned corpse of a scientist/military/personnel member).

Upon unlocking the base doors and entering the facility, there could be some personnel/scientist/military zombies, and a scientist who has locked himself in a secure room with enough food rations to survive, but with no way to reboot the system and open the doors. He could instruct players via quests to repair stuff or find parts to free him.

Upon freeing him, he could then tell what happened like "some experiments went wrong", "they tried to find a cure but it's not possible" and offer a solution. There could be some kind of a beacon inside the base that could send a distress signal for pickup/nuclear strike on Navezgane. To get the beacon and all of the systems associated to work, it would be required from the player (quests given by the scientist) to repair the electrical grid and such with some high tier materials or recipes given by finding survivor NPCs (quest for finding them also given by the scientist) or finding specific books (scientist). Some materials for the repairs could be even specific to some regions/bandit camps when they are introduced to the game.

After fixing the base and rebooting the system, secondary base doors could open, thus making room for zombies to attack from more sides than just the original entry door (which would stay open to prevent player camping on horde nights).

The computer for the beacon itself could require a code that could be randomly generated and placed randomly somewhere in the nuclear fallout zone which would first require the player to craft or find a radiation suit and an item like oxygen tank or such so the player can't stay indefinitely inside the radiation zone but would require constant change of said tank.

After aquiring the code, and starting the beacon, a choice could be given to the player for a pickup or a nuclear bomb drop on Navezgane. There would be a timer on the screen in the base after the selection. The beacon itself would produce a sound that would attract zombies to the base (something like a horde night but with indefinite waves of zombies).

After the time runs out, a destination on the map is marked for pickup or... well... goodbye Navezgane, screen goes blurry, a shroom appears, screen fades to white.

End.

why would you play a sandbox for story? END GAME is the most important thing in this type of games

I was one of the guys who is asking for a story but in the meantime I agree with you with the sandbox philosophy.

In my opinion a sandbox must remain sandbox and it's fine so you don't play it for the story but you may enrich it with a background story - that's for philosphical matter.

By a strictly financial point of view instead, if 10k people like a game with a story then it may be useful to add it just to include a wider group of players and sell more copies. Then you may play ignoring it or following it: is it not that the meaning of a sandbox after all?

A17 by adding factions is already doing a step towards story addition so I don't think it would be so ot to talk about that... and just in case let me know :)

Winning the game, hmm...

Maybe gather enough materials and a recruit a pilot to make a airplane to fly out of the irradiated zone. Where the Duke got a crucial component you either have to trade for or fight for. Could be one way to win.

Another way to win would be to find a way to hit the zombie intelligence at its core and by removing it the 7 day hordes are no longer a thing. They are left disorganized and thus made a low threat allowing pockets of resistance to finally thrive.

These goals could probably be unlocked through becoming reputable and trusted in a faction.

You know what would be awesome, but probably not possible?

Distant Weather:

- Seeing the mountain tops covered in mist/fog

- Seeing a giant dust storm loom closer and closer to your area

- Seeing a blizzard up ahead in a nearby town

- Seeing massive rain/thunder clouds drenching the desert

- High tailing it out of dodge when you see that radiation storm closing in on you

Maybe the sequel.

I dunno those radiation storms in fallout 4 rather got on my nerves. Seems everytime i'd clear my rads one would hit.

Yeah.. thats a major problem the game has atm, there is no actual endgame in a16.4, once your around lv 40 or 60, thats about it, you'll be able to craft anything better than you'd ever find, so that kills reason to explore. You can also get easly self sufficent too. Once your self sufficent the game kinda loses most of its meaning for me, as its not like there is some fun weapons.

Archived