Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

To put this in 7dtd terms? Unity 2018.1 has a great big fat red hp bar for enemies that TFP will mod out the day they update to it....

;-)

As it looks like TFP are going extremely fast to get things done, then what ever state it is right now is the state it will be for A17.

Also, TFP can not start second guessing themselves. What is fun to them, HAS to be what they go with. I'm sure they will let you mod it out. :D

What about the main video for the game that has nothing to do with the game? The video of a man in the wild is awesome, but its misleading. Just my observation.

Paul

Hey Paul, welcome to forums,

as I remember my first experience with 7dtd, this video pretty much sums up the horror I experienced in this game, the first hours of playing. With the lack of idea what to do and what I need, with founding out looting is good... stuff like that. !#)) hours later I cant wait for more. Hyped as hell.

Yeah, Pimps can just do it in Bollywood style, starring Joel or Roland in skirts, but this one is good enough.

You're joking right? I have brought many friends to this game. Hell we even have our 3rd annual lan party planned as soon as a17 drops. That reviewer knows nothing about early access. He would have been the same guy... Sigh. Time for another beer.

Early access has allowed a look into the inner workings of a dev team and rare ability for testing and spitballing game design ideas. There are other early access game developers that dont give a damn about their community and just want to make a quick grab at cash. Im one that is glued to the forums and find that video insulting. Dont like it? Wait for gold.

On RWG in a17:

Random worlds in a17 onward will be fully "pregenerated". This means that the world generator will output the same data structure as navezgane but in a save folder. This means that any rwg world will load just as fast as navezgane going forward.

After fixing the vehicles and adding new ones it was determined that RWG's runtime code was just waaaay too slow. So now it instead gets all the data set up and exports it in a common format which allows for quicker chunk loading.

With the change to pregeneration and using the socket(tile) system over the entire world there will be some other changes as well. For the better. Over the next couple of days I will give a bit more detail on what else these changes to RWG mean for the average player, modders, and server owners. I think most will be very happy.

More to come... :)

That's great news!

That's why I'm always saying... guys, let them do their stuff in their own time and you won't be disappointed. :-]

That's exactly the problem.

There is no good way to look at one or a few blocks and change only those.

If you dig out a huge hole, like one of those open air bedrock bases and connect it to an infinite supply body of water, what happens?

Does water flow in there, which "Terraria water" would do? (which is one helluvalot cheaper in 2D, BTW, and Terraria has tiny bodies of water in comparison)

Does the water that flows inside become infinite supply water as well? At which point does it do that?

Because if it doesn't it remains "flowing" water and keeps costing CPU time.

Either way, water "flowing into" a huge hole is probably the worst case scenario here, akin to having a skyscraper or other large structure collapse.

There simply is no cheap way to do it and here you have to take into account that chunks can get unloaded anytime so "water filling a hole" would be suspended while no one is watching or only one half of a giant hole gets filled resulting in a huge vertical wall of water or such craziness.

Sure, it may "get better". Eventually.

But I'm certain that it will take a lot of brain sweat and work and not someone's bright idea for a quick fix. =P

IMO the only way this is happening is if Unity adds DIRECT water mechanics support for voxels to their engine. :-|

We all know that calculations made by the underlying engine of a game are waaay faster than those made by the game itself.

IMO the only way this is happening is if Unity adds DIRECT water mechanics support for voxels to their engine. :-|

We all know that calculations made by the underlying engine of a game are waaay faster than those made by the game itself.

Good point. There will be limitations both in physics and graphics. Yet, there are lots of voxel games in developement , so some day water mechanics could be done by the engine itself. I am sure that Unity dev team is aware of that in some way.

Video footage of the pre-alpha of 7 Days to Die III has been leaked. ;)

[video=youtube_share;Jmr9Var-12M]

However, it's probably a bad idea to implement this kind of mechanics in 7 Days to Die I.

If something similar gets ingame I would love to make a pool above enemy`s underground base and watch how all electrics fail when I release the water and its base soaks up the water. Hehe.

...Over the next couple of days I will give a bit more detail on what else these changes to RWG mean for the average player, modders, and server owners. I think most will be very happy.

More to come... :)

If you are finish, add something like this:

:chuncky::chuncky::chuncky:

We do? That's... interesting news.

Not all of unity's stuff is lightning quick and great. Their terrain system hasn't been updated in far too long and there are several other alternatives which are far faster. One of which being the terrain system in 7dtd which is custom.

Wait until the 2018 update hits and everyone goes mental because their entire project has turned pink. The new shader system they've introduced is incompatible with the shader system people have been using for years now. The only solution is to rebuild all of your shaders in the new system using a pretty little graph layout which should annoy the most hardened shader coders.

You probably meant to say that calculations made by the GPU in parallel are waaay faster than those made by a single CPU.

Games programmers can use the GPU as well (if they don't mind the additional coding effort) and they could generate code that is very specific to their problem while an engine usually has a one-size-fits-them-all solution for any problem.

To put this in 7dtd terms? Unity 2018.1 has a great big fat red hp bar for enemies that TFP will mod out the day they update to it....

;-)

As it looks like TFP are going extremely fast to get things done, then what ever state it is right now is the state it will be for A17.

Also, TFP can not start second guessing themselves. What is fun to them, HAS to be what they go with. I'm sure they will let you mod it out. :D

Is this Moderator Aldranon putting a forum user in his place for posting a Doom and Gloom message? :smile-new:

Have you planned to look over the caves and mines in next alpha?

I remember the mining in around A12. I build that mine with love, tunnels, stairs, catwalks, signs, restrooms, storages, and it growed slowly over time. This mine was part of my base and it provides me over 100 hours ressources minimum.

In actual state the mine dont exist anymore. Its just a spamgrabbing tons of ressources as fast as possible. To think about build a nice mine is ridiculous. Its way to fast to gather it, its just a spamtunneling and spamcollecting and the veins of ore have no nice direction or sense anymore.

Also i miss the nice caves to find in the world to explore. In a older version of the game there are such epic caves to find and now they are gone.

pls give us back the good old mining. Mining is slow progress, a mine has to grow slowly and go deeper and deeper over long time.

Actual its just 2mates, 2 augers and make a 100x100 hole in 20 minutes.

I really tried to not do it this way but you have no chance to build a nice mine anymore. The hole grows so fast, it looses any reason and sense in minutes.

1 big problem is the ton of gravel around ores, it creates useless holes everywhere. Gravel is a very bad indicator for ores for the gameplay.

Ore is everywhere.

y8WhYVIt.jpg

In vanilla, some biomes will have zero of certain ores, though. Keep digging. =)

This post from Gazz 3 years ago shows a very good state of tunnels and mining. You can follow the direction of the ore vein and you will end up in relativly nice tunnels.

pls give the underground some love for all the miners here! thx

Not the same feature, I don’t think. Sticky arrows means attaching the arrow model to an arbitrary position on the actor’s surface. Bullet and knife wounds would mean changing the texture (or in severe cases the model) on part of the actor itself. The most you could do with sticky arrow tech is see the knife or bullet lodged in the actor’s body.

You could also stick a wound model to said model like they do in hollywood.

Archived