Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Permanant fog bug

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but wondering if the permanent fog bug in 16.4 (latest on steam) could be fixed? It seems after you've been playing for a while, at some point it will get foggy and the fog then never lifts. It sticks through all biomes and never ever gets clear, day or night. Have to exit the game and reload and then it's fine again until it gets foggy again.

Makes it really annoying to have to quit and load all the time just to be able to see more than 20 blocks in any direction. Can't see any airdrops as you're visibility is cut off severely, and just makes everything generally dull and boring to look at.

I'm sure this isn't the intended behavior, because the first few hours of playing are fine, and after you exit and reload everything's so clear.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but wondering if the permanent fog bug in 16.4 (latest on steam) could be fixed? It seems after you've been playing for a while, at some point it will get foggy and the fog then never lifts. It sticks through all biomes and never ever gets clear, day or night. Have to exit the game and reload and then it's fine again until it gets foggy again.

Makes it really annoying to have to quit and load all the time just to be able to see more than 20 blocks in any direction. Can't see any airdrops as you're visibility is cut off severely, and just makes everything generally dull and boring to look at.

I'm sure this isn't the intended behavior, because the first few hours of playing are fine, and after you exit and reload everything's so clear.

In the meantime:

IF you have 16gb ram: Run it off a server in the background on your same rig you play the client on. Nominal increase of ram doing it this way. Plus it plays smoother.

Temporary problem solved.

In the meantime:

IF you have 16gb ram: Run it off a server in the background on your same rig you play the client on. Nominal increase of ram doing it this way. Plus it plays smoother.

I have 32Gb so no issues running the dedicated server. Cool if that fixes the weather, though seemed on forums/reddit/steam that some people were still having it in multiplayer. And that it was client side - so some players would have it and some wouldn't and again, relogging would fix.

I'm happy to apply a workaround, but thought I should mention it anyway so hopefully it can be fixed in future. Since we have newer Unity, Vulkan new shaders etc. all already it might not even exist in Alpha 17 at this point.

I have 32Gb so no issues running the dedicated server. Cool if that fixes the weather, though seemed on forums/reddit/steam that some people were still having it in multiplayer. And that it was client side - so some players would have it and some wouldn't and again, relogging would fix.

I'm happy to apply a workaround, but thought I should mention it anyway so hopefully it can be fixed in future. Since we have newer Unity, Vulkan new shaders etc. all already it might not even exist in Alpha 17 at this point.

heh, Just something to tide you over till they fix it. :)

Nah, It works. At the most some players may have a temperature shift difference but that's about it. Iv'e been running it like this for for a couple years. Only time I notice the fog issue, is when I am modding in <sp>

Hosting a MP game doesn't work either, as the Host will get the issue quicker then the ppl that join them, so It need to be a sever.

Voices and sound effects... that covers nearly everything. What do you want to keep at full volume? Musical cues and UI sounds?

Its more so when some zombie I woke up in a POI thats screeching its damn headoff won't be so.. annoying. I really wish they wouldn't start screeching unless they actually see you. Be scarier that way too, because that zombie could break out of where ever it is then suddenly screech as its right by you. Thankfully a17 will have a silencer, so guns can now actually be used to clear poi's out. Currently I won't use any other than the smg/pistol because the rest wake up every damn sleeper in the poi. Then again, I rarely use guns anyway as the crossbow does more damage than half of the guns and its ammo is so much easier to get, I just miss that its not hitscan like a gun is. I'd love the shotgun to have a silencer mod, I tend to melee alot in 7dtd so the shotgun is right up my alley, but currently its too loud to risk using indoors.

In terms of sounds I would love if some of the old office buildings had office music (elevator music) playing, to give a bit more ambiants, also wish the same for some POI just to make things a little more interesting and immersive.

The biomes in 7dtd at one point each had their own music track, then after a certan alpha they just disappeared and never came back. Wonder if they will ever be put back in?

I hope there are more tidbits lying around for the apoc origin, kind of like how the newspapers on the ground talk about it a bit. That'd be cool to figure the whole thing out based on those types of random clues.

Honestly from going thru that pharmacy building, I wouldn't be surprized if they were behind the start of it or knew it was on the way ahead of time. They were setup WAY to well for what they were researching as if they knew it was going to happen. Not to mention some of the floor names kinda hint at it. A manga I read this big corp was sort of behind the zombie infection, they were bascally reasearching it, and someone screwed up on the research team and it got out into the open. All it takes is one idiot to forget to wash their hands in a place like that to have some supervirus end up getting loose. People make stupid mistakes when tired, some though are far bigger than others.

If it was single player you could hit F1 open console and type

weather clouds 0

to clear that fog instantly. I get that fog in SP all the time, and it doesn't go away sometimes even on reloading the game. Only 8 gb of ram though.

If it was single player you could hit F1 open console and type

weather clouds 0

to clear that fog instantly. I get that fog in SP all the time, and it doesn't go away sometimes even on reloading the game. Only 8 gb of ram though.

I think that disables all weather, or at least clouds permanently until you exit. I don't mind some fog sometimes, there should be periods of low visibility. That's why I exit, and reload, so the weather will still cycle properly, until the permanent fog gets stuck on again.

I'm happy that there's two or more workarounds, but hopefully by mentioning it here it might get fixed properly in A17 as well :) thanks for the suggested workarounds though!

You know what would be awesome, but probably not possible?

Distant Weather:

- Seeing the mountain tops covered in mist/fog

- Seeing a giant dust storm loom closer and closer to your area

- Seeing a blizzard up ahead in a nearby town

- Seeing massive rain/thunder clouds drenching the desert

- High tailing it out of dodge when you see that radiation storm closing in on you

Maybe the sequel.

You know what would be awesome, but probably not possible?

Distant Weather:

- Seeing the mountain tops covered in mist/fog

- Seeing a giant dust storm loom closer and closer to your area

- Seeing a blizzard up ahead in a nearby town

- Seeing massive rain/thunder clouds drenching the desert

- High tailing it out of dodge when you see that radiation storm closing in on you

Maybe the sequel.

Well, it sounds good, but people are complaining of lag without it. So, no I don't want it.. as I cannot afford a $3000 game rig and yet complain of it's lag

This with the weather sounds possible

How about seasons, I remember a discusion about season to bring better experience in farming , traveling..

Season is good, but based on starvation mod, where you have to take care of crop for water and rain, I won't like it much. The main essence of game is zombie killing.. if I have to spend more forced time on farming then it is no better than farm ville .. anyone remember that?

Season is good, but based on starvation mod, where you have to take care of crop for water and rain, I won't like it much. The main essence of game is zombie killing.. if I have to spend more forced time on farming then it is no better than farm ville .. anyone remember that?

Zombie killing will always be a big part of the game and i dont think will make our lives harder , more like to think in the future.. Nothing bad at all.

Well, fornite has distant storms... and it runs everywhere (almost)

never play that game, but I am pretty sure they do not have Digging a ground .. they can have destroyable Doors, but maybe not each and every block been destroyed. Rendering a calculatoin with Mist and fog is way too complex of GPU and hence then lag will occur.

It still can be added, but if in a16/17 we are talking about optmizing then surely it take them much more time and 2-3 times better hardware to get it smooth game play.

Well, it sounds good, but people are complaining of lag without it. So, no I don't want it.. as I cannot afford a $3000 game rig and yet complain of it's lag

I never had lag, or what I perceived as lag, do to changing weather??!??

World generation lag - yes.

Micro stutter lag - yes.

Too many players for the server to handle = lag - yes.

But not for the weather... You sir may need a new PC regardless...

In the meantime:

I wish i knew that. I've also been doing regular restarts to the game when i have longer sessions.

Volumetric weather shouldn't be too hard to do and the effect would look good on distant terrain. Weather is a relatively large scale phenomena, or at least it can be for these purposes. I doubt you'd have to measure a weather pattern such as a cluster of clouds at anything less than 100-250m.

Being able to see a storm looming on the horizon would add a lot to immersion, a pendulous red and black cloud slowly covering the entire sky would be a potent warning that horde night is upon you.

Archived