Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

In A17 will we still be able to increase our max health and stamina? or is it forever capped at 100.

I think fortitude would increase that, or increase the increase per level. The new system will be a mini adventure in itself! :)

With the SEVERE lag you get with crafting benches when you have mods adding recipes adding that the game, somehow STILL has hard coded ID's, and you get devs that are so focused on the trees, they forget about the forest.

Dude, go google 'what happens in alpha stage of game development'

FR tho, aside from dying, the only definition of end-game at this point would be TFP putting in a story. E.g. the actual definition on an end-game.

Yep, that's the _actual_ definition of end-game. I remember my last game of chess, during the end-game I'd managed to get two of my pawns all of the way to Mordor and then they started fighting over the ring.

In the meantime:

IF you have 16gb ram: Run it off a server in the background on your same rig you play the client on. Nominal increase of ram doing it this way. Plus it plays smoother.

Temporary problem solved.

Sorry Tin, you are wrong. I play on 32gb and have my setting on med and by day four I get the stupid fog, inside any building and it is damp. She has a constant shift in temps and even though it is worse if living in the pine forest and near a snow biome or have a mixed town she will go from overheating to freezing. Inside with a fire going and she was at at 40 degrees F and dropping. I had to put a hoodie on her and turn the forge on to get him warm up. And she was close to a snow biome, but not in it. Later, take her outside and she goes to overheating and I had to put the poncho on. She should have been fine inside.

In snow biome, if she gets wet she stays close to freezing even if near a couple campfires if it is raining. Goes inside and she will go up, to 60s or low 70s but should go up to high 70s. If I change her clothes to t-shirt she will then warm up. This isn't real life, changing to a dry shirt used to not make a difference.

Playing on mod War of the Walkers. To get rid of the fog I quit and then start the game back up. Am not on a server.

Sorry Tin, you are wrong. I play on 32gb and have my setting on med and by day four I get the stupid fog, inside any building and it is damp. She has a constant shift in temps and even though it is worse if living in the pine forest and near a snow biome or have a mixed town she will go from overheating to freezing. Inside with a fire going and she was at at 40 degrees F and dropping. I had to put a hoodie on her and turn the forge on to get him warm up. And she was close to a snow biome, but not in it. Later, take her outside and she goes to overheating and I had to put the poncho on. She should have been fine inside.

In snow biome, if she gets wet she stays close to freezing even if near a couple campfires if it is raining. Goes inside and she will go up, to 60s or low 70s but should go up to high 70s. If I change her clothes to t-shirt she will then warm up. This isn't real life, changing to a dry shirt used to not make a difference.

Playing on mod War of the Walkers. To get rid of the fog I quit and then start the game back up. Am not on a server.

WOTW is modify the temperature to little more extreme then vanilla game, and if you are in/near snow biome it will happen. Best is to stay in either Plain for no need to wear overcoat of poncho or stay in desert and always wear poncho. Making a mix of Tshirt and warm pants will help you keep temperature to going too extreme, but you have to keep both to maintain temperature. That is the fun of biome/weather in this game.

not sure on fog issue. I never have it. So must be something else then regular game provide or maybe I use little low setting in graphics that avoid fogs for me. But I never have it so no idea of issue.

The only end game in this is when you die, so...

Wanting/needing A end games varies from person to person. I could care less, my son feels that a story of this type needs a background and a end game. And a possible setup for a sequel or a pre-quell. I saw a version of a background that was put out in the first few alpha's, I don't' remember all of it but Joel tells of how a nuclear war broke out, and somehow (maybe?) biological attack that mutated people who died and turned into zombies. No story of how we ended up in the middle of nowhere, somewhat naked with just a small amount of supplies.

I created my own, war, biological warfare from some country (pick one) that didn't like us, with the radiation it mutated and people became zombies. As usual the govt screws up and does experiments in trying to find a cure and creates more dangerous zombies which get loose and really becomes a danger. You (player) had come for some obscure reason and loses consciousness (hit your head while landing?). Survivors find you and rob you of your clothes but leave some meager supplies. You are trying to survive, and find out if there is a way out. The survivors you find are immune to the infection where they (and you) don't become a zombie, but they are in shell shock and not able to interact.

You can create a number of sequels, who is sending in the airdrops? You find parts of hazmat suits, you use your skills and create a vehicle to get out, gather supplies and weapons and are able to leave; finding a town outside the red zone, but they are being controlled by some nutcase and you have to rescue and help the people escape to a more civilized area. Humans who aren't infected by are being hunted by some zombies and they have no knowledge of how to fight, defend themselves. I can think of several more ideas of how to create a beginning and end and set it up for a sequel, or prequel. Use your imagination.

For those who don't care, see the end game as when you die, or get bored and play how you want. For those who want one or feel there needs to be one, quests, hints in newspapers can help set it up. To each their own.

I can see that most of you don't understand what endgame stands for.

It doesn't mean that the game ends. It does mean that there is still something to do after completing main story, levels, defeating final boss, having all applicable content at max level etc.

What I (and most of players who understand this term) mean by something is in most cases progression (getting new, special equipment), unlocking special levels, dungeons, enemies, events, grinding for items which can give you new equipment and so on.

Examples:

Diablo 3 - has a pretty bad end game, most Diablo players don't like it but it still there and there is lots to do. Leveling paragons (unlocks after getting final 70 level), grinding/farming sets, killing bosses on higher difficulties, crafting gemstones (which cost lots of gold), doing bounties and rifts which every level get harder.

Dying Light - farming new guns, schematics, completing achievements, side quests, Bozak hordes, Invasions, leveling up, collecting flags, rocks, trophies.

Terraria - farming bosses for special equipment, trophies, surviving Frost Moon & Pumpkin Moon, eliminating Hallow, Crimson/Corruption, building (which is many much, much better than what we have got in 7 days to die).

Even games like Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, Fantasy Life don't end after beating main story. In some of them you actually spend more times at the end game. Of course don't forget about RPGs...

...or even MMORPGs.

Well, I don't now how I can be wrong when I've been doing this for a couple years now and it's worked for plenty of other ppl already. Vanilla is Vanilla, a Mod is a Mod, I have no clue on how they did their temp system (Although I know it works on my mods as well) Plus you're saying your not on a server, so I don't understand how you can say it doesn't work?! Other than that..HI! :)

WOTW is modify the temperature to little more extreme then vanilla game, and if you are in/near snow biome it will happen. Best is to stay in either Plain for no need to wear overcoat of poncho or stay in desert and always wear poncho. Making a mix of Tshirt and warm pants will help you keep temperature to going too extreme, but you have to keep both to maintain temperature. That is the fun of biome/weather in this game.

not sure on fog issue. I never have it. So must be something else then regular game provide or maybe I use little low setting in graphics that avoid fogs for me. But I never have it so no idea of issue.

I watch a lot of youtube videos. I have seen several gripe about the weather. Watched Games4Kickz play last night and he was in a snow biome. He was freezing and granted he was wearing a T-shirt, but he built a wood house, had five fires going and couldn't get dry, he was above freezing but never got dry. Remarked he had to go to the burnt biome to get dry. Comments were that once you got wet in the snow biome no matter what you don't get dry until you change clothes. Like me he had it snowing and raining inside the Retirement Center. I've had it in any building I am in that when it rains it most of the time does so inside. I HATE the plains biome. Yo-yo on temps, no matter what she wears. She can be near but not in a pine forest and go cold even with a hoodie on, or have a T-shirt and a poncho and be burning up. And I had this happen often in vanilla in Navz. Several have complained about it since A16.4 came out. Once the fog rolls in it doesn't go away, nor the rain in Navz. played to see how long by day 15 I gave up and logged out. Started the game up about a hour later and it was clear; again for four more days then a repeat.

Some have it happen to them, some don't. Because you don't does not mean that no one else does.

If sounding grouchy, I am sorry, am in a lot of pain right now.

Well, I don't now how I can be wrong when I've been doing this for a couple years now and it's worked for plenty of other ppl already. Vanilla is Vanilla, a Mod is a Mod, I have no clue on how they did their temp system (Although I know it works on my mods as well) Plus you're saying your not on a server, so I don't understand how you can say it doesn't work?! Other than that..HI! :)

All I know is that I have the problem when I play vanilla in Navz, when in Random Gen and when in War of the Walkers. I've seen some youtubers, Kage848 finally turned fog or weather or whatever off because it was so bad. Games4Kickz has had problems with it. I randomly

watch other players for a bit and some have mentioned weather issued and in comments some mention weather issues. I've learned to live with it, don't like it, wish it could/would be fixed but I am limited on how long I can play so use that as my time is up. In Navz I have fog roll in on day four. Then it rained. I tested it a couple of times, once fog comes in and it rains, it doesn't stop, Got out of the game after 15 days of non-stop rain and fog.

Sorry to be so grouchy, Back is hurting bad.

It doesn't mean that the game ends. It does mean that there is still something to do after completing main story, levels, defeating final boss, having all applicable content at max level etc.

What I (and most of players who understand this term) mean by something is in most cases progression (getting new, special equipment), unlocking special levels, dungeons, enemies, events, grinding for items which can give you new equipment and so on.

Examples:

Diablo 3 - has a pretty bad end game, most Diablo players don't like it but it still there and there is lots to do. Leveling paragons (unlocks after getting final 70 level), grinding/farming sets, killing bosses on higher difficulties, crafting gemstones (which cost lots of gold), doing bounties and rifts which every level get harder.

Dying Light - farming new guns, schematics, completing achievements, side quests, Bozak hordes, Invasions, leveling up, collecting flags, rocks, trophies.

Terraria - farming bosses for special equipment, trophies, surviving Frost Moon & Pumpkin Moon, eliminating Hallow, Crimson/Corruption, building (which is many much, much better than what we have got in 7 days to die).

Even games like Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, Fantasy Life don't end after beating main story. In some of them you actually spend more times at the end game. Of course don't forget about RPGs...

...or even MMORPGs.

Ill be honest, i think D3 sucks...im a grim dawn fan, but i wish Grim Dawn had half the end game D3 has.

End game is the one thing D3 did right... paragon levels, ever increasing difficulty.....random rifts and greater rifts... their end game is awesome. If the skill trees werent so dumbed down id be dying to play

All I know is that I have the problem when I play vanilla in Navz, when in Random Gen and when in War of the Walkers. I've seen some youtubers, Kage848 finally turned fog or weather or whatever off because it was so bad. Games4Kickz has had problems with it. I randomly

watch other players for a bit and some have mentioned weather issued and in comments some mention weather issues. I've learned to live with it, don't like it, wish it could/would be fixed but I am limited on how long I can play so use that as my time is up. In Navz I have fog roll in on day four. Then it rained. I tested it a couple of times, once fog comes in and it rains, it doesn't stop, Got out of the game after 15 days of non-stop rain and fog.

Sorry to be so grouchy, Back is hurting bad.

In order for it to remove the heavy fog that happens around 3-5 days and then stay endlessly. You need to install the server tool, Set up the config to what you want, then run it on the same rig you play the game on.

Then start your game and enter your server (make sure you put a PW on it). It will keep the endless heavy fog from happening. It won't stop it from raining or it sometimes getting foggy now and then.

As for the long periods of rain and weird temp spikes using the vanilla setup: It can be pretty wonky on how fast it changes or how sometimes it last for days. It can be adjusted in the weathersurvival.xml and biomes.xml to be much more natural feeling.

I know not all ppl are up on needing to tweak xmls but sometimes it just needs to be done, till TFP get around to twixing everything.

If you want your weather in general to feel more natural you can always lift what you need from my mods, The Dying Lands, The Dying Lands: Body parts edition or The Devils Eden. The weathersurvival.xml file you can just swap mine into a vanilla game and then copy paste what I did for the weather effects for each biome. Win!

You can still get cold, you can still get hot at times but it's a lot more fluid and feels more natural (imo).

..And don't worry about it. We all have moments :)

Ill be honest, i think D3 sucks...im a grim dawn fan, but i wish Grim Dawn had half the end game D3 has.

End game is the one thing D3 did right... paragon levels, ever increasing difficulty.....random rifts and greater rifts... their end game is awesome. If the skill trees werent so dumbed down id be dying to play

Yeah, but actually we can call endgame in Grim Dawn when you finish Act 4 on Normal (or Act 6 when you have DLC) and you are about to start the same game on higher difficulty.

Yet still it would be awesome if Grim Dawn was less repetetive and we could find random events like we do in D3.

Examples:

...or even MMORPGs.

Yet again, set yourself a goal and that is end game for your concept. For me, the first death is that goal, if I didn't die I am good, else it is just sandboxing to infinity.

I watch a lot of youtube videos. I have seen several gripe about the weather. Watched Games4Kickz play last night and he was in a snow biome. He was freezing and granted he was wearing a T-shirt, but he built a wood house, had five fires going and couldn't get dry, he was above freezing but never got dry. Remarked he had to go to the burnt biome to get dry. Comments were that once you got wet in the snow biome no matter what you don't get dry until you change clothes. Like me he had it snowing and raining inside the Retirement Center. I've had it in any building I am in that when it rains it most of the time does so inside. I HATE the plains biome. Yo-yo on temps, no matter what she wears. She can be near but not in a pine forest and go cold even with a hoodie on, or have a T-shirt and a poncho and be burning up. And I had this happen often in vanilla in Navz. Several have complained about it since A16.4 came out. Once the fog rolls in it doesn't go away, nor the rain in Navz. played to see how long by day 15 I gave up and logged out. Started the game up about a hour later and it was clear; again for four more days then a repeat.

Some have it happen to them, some don't. Because you don't does not mean that no one else does.

If sounding grouchy, I am sorry, am in a lot of pain right now.

I saw that video too, and yes he should have change Tshirt, techincally it was better without shirt then having -5F shirt on, because if you have no shirt it will count as 0C/F so why bother having negative when bare is better in cold biome. I understand FOG is bad, but really you didn't restart game for 15 game days .. believing you are playing 1hr game means 15 hrs.. are you on server? if not then you must be tired man..lol, I don't keep game running that long. So I never experience it.

About drying, yes I saw few other complaining, even once I heard one is complaing of Drowning when they came out of river but still die of no oxygen depleted for him. There is some bug that do that and idea is to get wet again or drown again.

End game for me is when I've dug up every block and there is nothing left but bedrock. THEN and only then do I have enough material to make a real Fortress of Doom!

...Built entirely from burning Forges!!

...Each with 18,000 wood!!!

Let the End Game begin!!!!!

Yet again, set yourself a goal and that is end game for your concept. For me, the first death is that goal, if I didn't die I am good, else it is just sandboxing to infinity.

yet again you can't understand the definition and try to come up with your own one

i love this forum

The actual definition of endgame is that period BEFORE the end of the game when most opposing forces have been destroyed, otherwise known as the "final stages".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endgame

What everyone is talking about here is essentially post-game content.

Endgame would be the final touches to your base, perhaps those turrets you didn't have the ammo for previously or the final few missions of the main plot which (if all goes to plan) will be in A17.

Post-game is what happens when there's no more to do on your base and the main plot is over. A good example for post-game content is all of the side missions you pick up during a GTA run-through. They aren't part of the essential plot so quite often they're left until everything else is done.

I agree with you. End game in a sandbox game is what ever you want it to be. Looting and pillaging every city on the map? Killing zombies and what every you said about butts further down....? Harvesting the entire map and building something that deserves the name 'Fortress of Doom'? Sitting in your base and doing nothing, but eating and drinking until each horde night?

All are correct, there are none that are incorrect and that is the beauty of Sandbox games.

Archived