Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

These concerns are hardly new, come a new release...

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but alpha stage really is the playground...

I guess there's possibly some validity to Jax's concerns, with MM dropping the "beta" in his videos...

But is that really a confirmation of beta? Or troll? Or over enthusiasm?

You decide...

Have we not discussed stealth dog packs/hordes and why fishing is a horrible idea in this game? Do you really want to be sitting around nodding off when you get eviscerated by a horde or dog pack that didn't make a single sound until they're eating you?

Beta has been confirmed like three times since that video...

...the issue is, their definition of beta doesn't jive with convmention, since they still plan on adding new features.

I don't see bandits coming in a17.

That's because there bandits. They are not going to march up main street and say here we are.

No, they will be sneaking in- Oh my Gosh Guppy, They are right behind you!!!

;)

Have we not discussed stealth dog packs/hordes and why fishing is a horrible idea in this game? Do you really want to be sitting around nodding off when you get eviscerated by a horde or dog pack that didn't make a single sound until they're eating you?

You just described why it would be a PERFECT idea :)

You just described why it would be a PERFECT idea :)

I Agree... It would add a fun element to fishing...

You cast your line, sitting back drinking a beer.. then BAM, a wandering horde comes after ya.

and once they add water threat, you cast your line, sit back and drink your beer and feel a tug. reel in the fish and BAM, zombie shark horde eats you.

bunch of mods and noone made new water physics yet.. its not possible to mod in?

Super computers have a hard time mimicking water in real time. How is anyone going to do it on a simple PC? When quantum PC's come out, then you might see real time water effects.

I would also add what I call "POI Progression". For example, you find a group of people that need to improve their broken down Home/fort. By gathering resources for them and killing off enough zombies in the area, they will improve the POI and a bigger, better POI will one day appear where the old one was!

POI Progression could be used the other way if you don't help them: Bandits move in and a grisly POI looking like some Fallout 3 bandit POI and the player gets more Bandit events.

Oh, hell yes, I'd love that!

the water now is what it is. chuck in some danger and some method of navigating it and an actvity in it - mini game as it were ie fishing - and that would be just fine with me.

do they need to mess about with physics to do that?

i start to imagine 7dtd fishing records like heaviest fish caught on 70 day horde night or the most fish caught iin a six hour period caught on grilled meat or canned salmon or baked potatoe. ( believe it or not thats a secret bait for yellowtail kingfish. just like corn kernels for flatfish)

damn now i want to go fishing

I Agree... It would add a fun element to fishing...

You cast your line, sitting back drinking a beer.. then BAM, a wandering horde comes after ya.

and once they add water threat, you cast your line, sit back and drink your beer and feel a tug. reel in the fish and BAM, zombie shark horde eats you.

Honestly, with the amount of water in most random gen worlds, there had ought to be something to do in it other than drown. Fishing would be a logical choice. A raft would be good. Doesn't have to be anything too fast, just has to be better than walking around.

So after "fishing" around a bit in other survival games this week now that Ravenhearst is released I have been noticing something. There are several mechanics in play in other survival games that seem pretty standard now. NOT including these I think hurts 7 Days a bit.

-Fishing: It's in every now game as standard now. PixArk, Subsistence, Hold Your Own etc ALL come with fishing already in.

-Food Urgency: Spoilage may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is in most major new games, as is refrigeration/preservation.

-Bandits/NPC: Subsistence and Hold Your OWn come to mind but others too are developing Bandits who think and act on their own.

-Water Dangers: Piranhas, Sharks, all sorts of wildlife in water. And speaking of...

-Water Physics: Every new game that's voxelated has running water. Portal Knights, Minecraft, PixArk all have water that moves and flows. It not only makes things more exciting but it can be used in builds as well.

-Underground Dangers: Not sand worms or digging zombies, but lava and environmental dangers. These aren't as standard but all voxel games i know of have at LEAST lava and some have underground spawning entities in darker areas.

I will defend this game to the death as I love it. But when you see what other games are putting together sometimes it feels like 7 Days is behind the times in these areas. A17 looks quite amazing but I am not going to lie having even SOME of these in the game at SOME point would greatly add to its value, its replayability and provide new dangers and situations for us to overcome. Being that these seem standard now I DO hope that one day they will at least be looked at. The last thing I wish to do is play a new survival game and say to myself "wow that would really be something that adds to the 7 days experience. I wish..." because there was a time when 7 days WAS the game every other game looked at and said "I wish".

7 Days is blazing trails in all the areas like POIs etc. It would be awesome to see them keep up with current trail blazers as well.

Said it better then me

I know what you mean by stealth dog and wolf packs. I really think that they should be making noises. Like a pack of dogs would make running though foliage and or grass full speed. Also barking and howling when they see you.

Not also would this add to game immersion but would chill a player to the bone. ;)

i'm getting the feeling that state of decay 2 is going to release before alpha 17. which is bad. not just because state of decay 1 was released the same year as 7d2d. but also because i'm not going to care about alpha 17 if i have state of decay 2. bad planning. like dropping an fps against a new call of duty release.

i only point this out because i care.

You don't plan Alpha releases around other games coming out. You release Alphas when you are ready for your player base to test the new features. THAT IS THE ONLY FACTOR. There is only about 3 people in the forums that seem to actually understand what an EA game is and what to expect, and better yet what NOT to expect, of the different alpha releases. EA is a peek into the dev process. Yes, that process has to change a little because the different Alpha releases have to be a bit more playable than they would for only internal testing. BUT, this IS a dev process.

Things generally true of EA games: Releases aren't "TIMED". They really are "ready when they are ready". TFP isn't being snarky when they say that. That's just the way it is in development. They don't add features earlier than they feel is best for development just to keep interest or because people think the game is unfinished without them. Of coure the game is unfinished. IT'S ALPHA. Hell, these days Beta is unfinished and Full Release for most games is unfinished. No one has shipped a finished game in decades.

No one has shipped a finished game in decades.

Amen to that. I dont buy most AAA games until a year after release, when they are patched up and almost bug free.. not to mention cheaper so that the game plus DLC together equal the cost of just the game on release.

Far Cry 5 is tempting tho

speaking of boats can we confirm or deny wether or not fish will be added? and fishing?

i do know they opened up a lot of space in the game with the new mesh system so it would be possible. we wouldn't need anything extravagant like 20 different kinds of fish. except maybe 2? normal fish and ZOMBIE PIRANHAS! so it makes swimming in water more difficult. and you can build a MOTE! AROUND YOUR BASE!!! AND FILL IT WITH FREAKING ZOMBIE PIRANHAS WITH FREAKING LAZER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS!

or i'll just settle for mutated sea bass

you can fish i nthe starvation mod :D

You don't plan Alpha releases around other games coming out. You release Alphas when you are ready for your player base to test the new features. THAT IS THE ONLY FACTOR. There is only about 3 people in the forums that seem to actually understand what an EA game is and what to expect, and better yet what NOT to expect, of the different alpha releases. EA is a peek into the dev process. Yes, that process has to change a little because the different Alpha releases have to be a bit more playable than they would for only internal testing. BUT, this IS a dev process.

Things generally true of EA games: Releases aren't "TIMED". They really are "ready when they are ready". TFP isn't being snarky when they say that. That's just the way it is in development. They don't add features earlier than they feel is best for development just to keep interest or because people think the game is unfinished without them. Of coure the game is unfinished. IT'S ALPHA. Hell, these days Beta is unfinished and Full Release for most games is unfinished. No one has shipped a finished game in decades.

Make that 4 people! Definitely part of the "It's ready when TFP is happy with it" group.

Archived